• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 - Launch Trailer

Woah. I need to check this out. Having just finished Mario + Rabbids, my thirst/interest in turn-based strategy is heightened. :)

I highly recommend Heist as a chaser for Mario + Rabbids, as it shares a lot of design sensibilities: it's similarly cover-based (drawing on XCOM again) but similarly about rapid movement/repositioning/flanking. Like Rabbids, compared to many other methodical squad tactics games, it's quick. The difference is that it's a side-scroller, the stage layouts are procedurally generated, and the hits/misses are based on your ability to aim and bank shots on a 2D plane.

I highly recommend Heist as a chaser for Mario + Rabbids, as it shares a lot of design sensibilities: it's similarly cover-based (drawing on XCOM again) but similarly about rapid movement/repositioning/flanking. Like Rabbids, compared to many other methodical squad tactics games, it's quick. The difference is that it's a side-scroller, the stage layouts are procedurally generated, and the hits/misses are based on your ability to aim and bank shots on a 2D plane.
Is Heist coming to Switch ever???

Is Heist coming to Switch ever???

Nothing has been announced, but it still receives a periodic trickle of ports (still TBD on Xbox One, as far as I know), so I wouldn't rule it out. This comes down partly to I&F's workload and partly down to how restrictive Nintendo is about cross-generation ports, as I understand they've wanted to keep the port ratio low when it comes to indie releases on the Switch.

Gunship

I would've overlooked the original if it wasn't for my PSN sub, but it ended up being one of my favourite games this gen. I really loved the sense of exploration and the upgrades were satisfying and fun along the way. Great game.

The sequel is definitely getting bought.

ghibli99

Oh wow, installing now (looks like I had it from a bundle earlier this year... probably Humble Monthly). :) Thanks!

Edit: Just played the first couple missions of Heist, and man, this is just so beautifully crafted. That music at the bar/store ship is too good. Can't wait to play this on the 4K at home. Wonderful!

Plum

I cannot wait to share my thoughts tomorrow. Don't overlook this game.

I ain't overlooking anything. The hype is real!

Since you're a reviewer do you know anything that could answer my question?

Guessing no-one knows when reviews are coming out? Image & Form's Twitter doesn't really have any info at all on that front.

Would be a great help if you could, I'd like to know when to look out for reviews/make the review thread.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Psyched. I'll definitely be playing this on PS4 next week. Dig really surprised me, and I loved the hell out of Heist.

This looks so darn sweet. Thursday cant come soon enough.

Any guesses on Meta?
Best selling platform?

Can't answer the metascore question but I will take a stab and say Switch will be the best selling platform. The series has a good history with Nintendo and there have been a lot of indie success stories on Switch.

imageform

Ha, for once I'm not totally off with the timing for a comment, people are still posting! Thanks for all the fine comments, again for once I'm confident that we have a really great game on our hands.

Please ask me anything about I&F and/or SteamWorld - it's all right, I know how the spoiler button works. :) Also bear with me if answering takes a bit of time, it's not almost midnight and I have about 150 codes to send out to journos.

Cheeeeeeerio!

Brjann / Image & Form

Ha, for once I'm not totally off with the timing for a comment, people are still posting! Thanks for all the fine comments, again for once I'm confident that we have a really great game on our hands.

Please ask me anything about I&F and/or SteamWorld - it's all right, I know how the spoiler button works. :) Also bear with me if answering takes a bit of time, it's not almost midnight and I have about 150 codes to send out to journos.

Cheeeeeeerio!

Brjann / Image & Form
How long is the game? And does the switch ver perform on par with pc/ps4?

Can't answer the metascore question but I will take a stab and say Switch will be the best selling platform. The series has a good history with Nintendo and there have been a lot of indie success stories on Switch.

I definitely get the sense that developers like Yacht Club or Image & Form, who took a chance on treating Nintendo systems as lead platforms in the outgoing generation, have been handsomely rewarded with the brand recognition they deserve (and got their foot in the door for a good relationship with Nintendo in the transition to the Switch, too). Their work is a good fit for the audience and doesn't get lost in the shuffle the way it might on Steam.

Cheeeeeeerio!

Brjann / Image & Form

Oh hey, speak of the devil. Wishing you folks a fine and successful launch.

Cheeeeeeerio!

Brjann / Image & Form

I'm just finishing my review for Steamworld Dig 2 so I don't have any questions about this game specifically but I'm thirsty for more Steamworld on Switch. Do you guys have any plans to bring the first Steamworld Dig and Heist to Switch?

Once again, congratulations on finishing Dig 2. I'm sure you'll be rewarded for all your hard work very soon.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

Cheeeeeeerio!

Brjann / Image & Form

Can you give us a realistic estimate of game length? Loved the first one!

Fliesen

i platinumed the game twice on Playstation because, while it was cross-buy, the vita and PS4 games had separate (yet identical) trophy lists.
(after already having completed the game on the 3DS, twice, already)

You can imagine how much i adore this game.

That hookshot looks super nice.

Can't wait for Thursday! I absolutely loved the first game, but never played Heist. :(
Same, but played Steamworld Heist 1 through on 3DS and Vita. Will definitely be picking this up!

Hopefully they develop some of the Metroidvania elements and make the world a little more distinctive.

Cheeeeeeerio!

Brjann / Image & Form
Bring Heist to Switch???
Yes, that's a question:D

Fireblend

Banned

Cheeeeeeerio!

Brjann / Image & Form

Thanks for all you do. I really enjoy your games and couldn't possibly be more excited to purchase this fine product of yours with my hard-earned money and congratulate myself on my very good decision-making skills come Thursday. My gf can't wait either, we both finished the original when it came out and really, really enjoyed it.

The OST for SWD2 sounds outstanding, btw. Seriously I had to re-listen to this new trailer several times. I'm floored. Will you be releasing it in some form in the near future? Maybe through Bandcamp, Spotify, or some other platform?

I would also like to add that I would enjoy playing Heist on Switch if given the chance very, very much.

imageform

@Twilight Princess:
1. How long is the game?
It's typically 10-12 hours for your first playthrough of the campaign. I'm an average player myself with an acute sense of greed, so I have a hard time passing up gems on my way through the game, which makes me take longer. But then there's
a simply amazing set of post-game content as a reward for completionists, which adds many, many hours to the total game time.

2. Does the switch ver perform on par with pc/ps4?
Yes, 60 fps guaranteed on Switch and PS4. SWD2 will obviously run at 60 fps on a decent PC, but if my mom decided to play on hers I doubt she'd get 60 fps. :) I'd suggest looking at the minimum specs on Steam or the like!

@Jonneh3003 and @TheGreatMightyPoo
I'm thirsty for more Steamworld on Switch. Do you guys have any plans to bring the first Steamworld Dig and Heist to Switch?
We love making games for the Switch... :) ...but rather than talking too much, which I always do, we should probably focus on under-promise and over-deliver. We have a lot of ideas.

@loganclaws
See my answer to @Twilight Princess above! :)

@Fireblend
Will you be releasing (the OST for SWD2) in some form in the near future? Maybe through Bandcamp, Spotify, or some other platform?
You know, we just talked about it today! I think it's an excellent idea, and we're working on it. You'd be surprised how much of our games and stuff come together towards the end. :)

I should also take this opportunity to plug the main composer, Niklas Åkerblad aka El Huervo, who is an insanely talented guy. The "secondary" (sounds rude, doesn't it) composer is our own Pelle Cahndlerby, who also writes quite a lot of our games. He's not half bad either! :D

@Twilight Princess:
1. How long is the game?
It's typically 10-12 hours for your first playthrough of the campaign. I'm an average player myself with an acute sense of greed, so I have a hard time passing up gems on my way through the game, which makes me take longer. But then there's
a simply amazing set of post-game content as a reward for completionists, which adds many, many hours to the total game time.

Yes, 60 fps guaranteed on Switch and PS4. SWD2 will obviously run at 60 fps on a decent PC, but if my mom decided to play on hers I doubt she'd get 60 fps. :) I'd suggest looking at the minimum specs on Steam or the like!

I'm thirsty for more Steamworld on Switch. Do you guys have any plans to bring the first Steamworld Dig and Heist to Switch?
We love making games for the Switch... :) ...but rather than talking too much, which I always do, we should probably focus on under-promise and over-deliver. We have a lot of ideas.

@loganclaws

@Fireblend
Will you be releasing (the OST for SWD2) in some form in the near future? Maybe through Bandcamp, Spotify, or some other platform?
You know, we just talked about it today! I think it's an excellent idea, and we're working on it. You'd be surprised how much of our games and stuff come together towards the end. :)

I should also take this opportunity to plug the main composer, Niklas Åkerblad aka El Huervo, who is an insanely talented guy. The "secondary" (sounds rude, doesn't it) composer is our own Pelle Cahndlerby, who also writes quite a lot of our games. He's not half bad either! :D
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

Plum

@Twilight Princess:
1. How long is the game?

@loganclaws

@Fireblend

Thanks for answering our questions! Sorry if I'm late but could I ask about performance on Vita? I'm assuming 60fps, but I don't want to write down anything in the OT without confirmation.

imageform

Thanks for answering our questions! Sorry if I'm late but could I ask about performance on Vita? I'm assuming 60fps, but I don't want to write down anything in the OT without confirmation.

I should be able to tell you that right off the bat! Sorry, been very many different things and I haven't been directly involved with the Vita myself. If I can remember to do it, please let me check and post the answer here tomorrow (1 am here now.) But if I'd guess, I'm pretty confident it's at 60 fps.

Thanks @imageform. I absolutely loved the first dig and dig2 is my most anticipated game right next to odyssey. 60fps is super nice, now I’m even more hyped!

Plum

I should be able to tell you that right off the bat! Sorry, been very many different things and I haven't been directly involved with the Vita myself. If I can remember to do it, please let me check and post the answer here tomorrow (1 am here now.) But if I'd guess, I'm pretty confident it's at 60 fps.

No problem, that's all I really need :) The OT should be fun with its
copious amounts of puns.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I feel a lot of people gave the first a chance because it was priced perfectly... even better than that, it made you feel like it was a bargain. Lowered expectations and good game with beautiful aesthetics made the rest and the game gained popularity. Especially in Japan. A bit like Gunman Clive.

Now I'm not saying this sequel won't be worth it's asking price, not at all, but I fear it'll suffer because of it: €20 is way out of the impulse buy territory. Entirely anecdotal but I don't think Heist sold good, am I wrong?
We'll see, wish 'em success.

Fireblend

Banned
I feel a lot of people gave the first a chance because it was priced perfectly... even better than that, it made you feel like it was a bargain. Lowered expectations and good game with beautiful aesthetics made the rest and the game gained popularity. Especially in Japan. A bit like Gunman Clive.

Now I'm not saying this sequel won't be worth it's asking price, not at all, but I fear it'll suffer because of it: €20 is way out of the impulse buy territory. Entirely anecdotal but I don't think Heist sold good, am I wrong?

I don't think it's a bad price. Image and Form have proven themselves with two outstanding, critically acclaimed games, SWD2 has been featured in several Nintendo Directs, and it's releasing at a time when the Switch eShop is still relatively young and full of people looking for something new to play. I'm confident word of mouth and people finishing Mario+Rabbids around this time will drive sales :p

This is not the bargain price experimental indie game that the first game was anymore. It's a fully scoped, polished indie game with high production values and if Heist's level of craftsmanship is any indication, one of the best indie games if not games period to come out this year.

Plus, $20 is kind of the expected price for many indie platformers nowadays. Wonder Boy sold for $20, same with Sonic Mania, Cave Story was $30, Axiom Verge on Steam is $20, Owlboy $25, and the list goes on and on. It will be more than fine and I'd actually say it's on the lower end of the price curve for similar games.

@MUWANdo

Banned

I'm pretty sure Heist did very well.

As someone who thought the original Dig was overpriced and even overrated, Heist vastly exceeded my expectations, both in terms of quality and value for money, so I'm confident Dig 2 will be worth the asking price.

Snoopycat

Banned
Cool. I bought the first one on impulse and really enjoyed the western setting. My only complaint was the final boss battle. It wasn't much fun. Anyway, looking forward to this. I'm going to give Heist another shot. I started it but didn't get far.

jorgejjvr

I personally liked Dig more then Heist, both still great games tho.

Very excited for this.

Would it be up tonight at midnight?

@Twilight Princess:
1. How long is the game?

@loganclaws

@Fireblend

My hype can only get so huge.

Can't believe it's almost here.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
my colleague is reviewing it right now.
He told me just one thing: it lived up to our high expectagions.
let's see shortly!

I'm pretty sure Heist did very well.

As someone who thought the original Dig was overpriced and even overrated, Heist vastly exceeded my expectations, both in terms of quality and value for money, so I'm confident Dig 2 will be worth the asking price.

This is pretty much my sentiment note for note. I know Steam, Humble Bundle, and I&F's own past generosity with steep eShop discounts have all trained us to think of the $20 price point as really high, but Heist was great value right on launch day when it first hit the 3DS. More recently, Sonic Mania set the bar for what I consider good value and length/quality if I jump in at that price point instead of waiting, and Dig 2 is one of a small handful of titles that interests me enough to clear that bar. I might not have time to get on it right at launch, but I doubt I'll have the patience to hold out for a future price cut either. We all pick and choose which indies we think are worth it on day one.

(I also appreciate I&F's commitment to bring us a revised home-screen icon more Switch-like than what reviewers are seeing on their early copies.)

antispin

Believe it or not, this is one of my highly anticipated games on Switch. This and Golf Story on my Switch would be aces.

Top Bottom