• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV September update is now live [+new event added in Chapter 12]

I was shocked by how well integrated it is. I'm really looking forward to these story updates if this is what we can expect from them.

The cutscene with Luna and Gentiana is incredible. And the additions to Noctis receiving her trident made the scene way better than it was before.

And one thing that was great was Gentiana crying when Luna talked, that basically told me more about her than all her previous cutscenes together.

Ray Down

Banned
FF sequels just tend to shit on the ending and stories of the originals.

Unless they are truly planned out, they shouldn't happen.

I'm all for these updates rather than leaving the game as-is, and I hate unplanned asspull sequels, but I'd MUCHHHHHH rather have a planned sequel/trilogy than either of the former options. If that's the only way SE can manage a giant epic story from hereon out, I'll take it. Bring on FFXVI Part 1.
FFXVI Part I of XIII: Lightning Strikes Again.

I kid I kid! Keep em all separate.

And BTW, the song playing in the new cutscene is a new one right? Is it from a DLC? I don't remember hearing it in neither Prompto nor Gladious episodes.

theofficefan99

FF sequels just tend to shit on the ending and stories of the originals.

Unless they are truly planned out, they shouldn't happen.

I agree with this. But planned out sequels means exciting cliffhangers and well-segmented parts, along with no part feeling like it got the short end of the stick in terms of budget. Not.... whatever we got with IV, VII, X, XII and XIII.

ED Cantu

Tabata implied
that the bros die

Noctis is the main draw anyway.

Didn't Tabata tell everyone at Gamescom that
Prompto, Ignis and Gladio survived
?

EDIT:
Yes he did: LINK
He basically said
that they are alive but their ending is "not happy" because Nocties died.

Pachinko

I really hate to say it because of how mad everyone would have been but ... I think they shouldn't have announced this game until 2015 and then it should have come out in the fall of 2018 as the complete game it will be by then.

Course Nomura and his "Team Rikugame" would have had to hasten development of KH3 to compensate for the void left ... and it would have meant FFXV the game would have cost an extra 50 million dollars. So... 6.5 million in sales to break even instead of 5 million....

benzy

ZSRvDE.png

Didn't Tabata tell everyone at Gamescom that
Prompto, Ignis and Gladio survived
?

Yep.

theofficefan99

I skimmed through the content and while, yeah, it was a low budget update, it's nice that it's actually quality stuff here that adds depth to the extremely shallow plot and it's actually integrated into the main game and isn't something you select from the main menu.

I kind of have a little bit of hope now that the game will be much more satisfying a year from now. Which makes the wait a tad painful.

Though if Comrades ends up being decent I'll jump in.

benzy

I freaking loved this moment. OMG

I really wish this was in the game since day one =(

They should have avoided Kingsglaive altogether and used that budget on actually telling the game's story with more and better produced cutscenes. Kingsglaive director was supposed to direct cutscenes for the game too, but it's obvious where his focus was.

Not complaint at all, [I think it's great they keep fleshing XV out] but is this game up there now as one of the titles with the biggest number of patches/DLC?

(Excluding MMOs)

takes about a half hour from starting chapter 12 to get to it. i enjoyed this game. haven't played it since last Jan..

its enjoyable guys!

ramyeon

Probably just going to YouTube the scenes this time around.

Very impressed with the continuing support they're giving FFXV, and I'm in the crowd that thoroughly enjoyed the game even in its vanilla state.

Looking forward to playing through it again later on down the track.

They should have avoided Kingsglaive altogether and used that budget on actually telling the game's story with more and better produced cutscenes. Kingsglaive director was supposed to direct cutscenes for the game too, but it's obvious where his focus was.

I agree, I guess the movie really wasn't worth at all. Square isn't really good in some of their decisions.

BTW, what's the name of the song playing during the new cutscene?

Mieu

Alright!! We just need to wait for 5 more DLCs before we rebuy it again at 59.99. Hopefully, it's patched with all the goodness it had since release.

wmlk

Clearly they had bigger plans for the second half. This wasn't supposed to be all thrown at you in one cutscene; that's a lot of story.

I really don't think Kingsglaive was the problem. The second half lacks a structure altogether. Kingsglaive was planned since late 2013, and they sure as hell planned shit for the actual game which released 3 years later.

There's more evidence to things being cut from the second half of the game at the last second. They couldn't possibly have planned for these last second cuts. Whatever cutscenes they had probably didn't even make sense because of that, so they added them in random (see: cutscenes in Tenebrae).

SoulUnison

Banned
It's weird how many misconceptions I'd been holding about this game even after playing through it twice, because I'd kept up on pre-release content and translated interviews.

For instance, the Oracle's only power is apparently the ability to speak with Astrals and form Covenants, but for some reason I thought she had future-sight. The "Oracle" title didn't help.

Also, they use "Star" to talk about the planet they reside on, but I'd always thought they were talking about the Crystal, or even literally the sun in the sky.

Torquill

None of this solves the biggest problem which is a lack of setup and context in the early chapters. Chapter 12 and 13 is not where they should be spending energy.

Runner67

None of this solves the biggest problem which is a lack of setup and context in the early chapters.

I disagree. The lack of context early on in a story helps mystify it more. The lack of context in the 2nd half of this game needs fixing bad because it didn't have the proper payoffs on revelations. We are now getting those types of scenes incrementally.

I do agree that the first half still needs some more fleshing out in general (certain villains need more screentime, certain characters do as well, more scenes describin Luna and Noctis's love for each other, etc), but leave Ardyn's cryptic motivations alone. They were the best part of the first half.

I disagree. The lack of context early on in a story helps mystify it more. The lack of context in the 2nd half of this game needs fixing bad because it didn't have the proper payoffs on revelations. We are now getting those types of scenes incrementally.

I do agree that the first half still needs some more fleshing out in general (certain villains need more screentime, certain characters do as well, more scenes describin Luna and Noctis's love for each other, etc), but leave Ardyn's cryptic motivations alone. They were the best part of the first half.

There is really very little story in the first half. I just replayed it recently, and basically
you are going to your wedding, empire attacks, you get a boat. And Jared I guess.

Runner67

There is really very little story in the first half. I just replayed it recently, and basically
you are going to your wedding, empire attacks, you get a boat. And Jared I guess.

I do agree with that. Sorry, I just think im misunderstanding what you mean by context. There probably should have just been more scenes setting up the villains, astrals and weapon hunting. I appreciated learning more about the world in the first half.

Unfortunately both halves of the game need the opposite's positives in order to be better I guess (better story in first half, and better gameplay in second), though the 2nd half needs gameplay and story additions tbh.

Despite its flaws, I loved the original XV to the point that getting the Platinum didn't even felt difficult
(with the exception of fishing, fuck fishing)

I also completely and utterly hated Luna because she was nowhere to be seen yet the game clearly was going "oh we want you to feel bad for her, oh she is so important, oh please care, you have to care" about her. (and I had actually watched and liked Kingsglaive beforehand)

So I wonder if these new scenes will make me actually give a damn about Luna. Probably not, but we'll see.

At any rate, I love how they are still adding more contents and new stuff to the game (even for free!) so I can't wait to replay it sometime in the future, after they've added most of the contents that they are planning for it. (still haven't seen the updated Chapter 13 either)

benzy

Clearly they had bigger plans for the second half. This wasn't supposed to be all thrown at you in one cutscene; that's a lot of story.

I really don't think Kingsglaive was the problem. The second half lacks a structure altogether. Kingsglaive was planned since late 2013, and they sure as hell planned shit for the actual game which released 3 years later.

There's more evidence to things being cut from the second half of the game at the last second. They couldn't possibly have planned for these last second cuts. Whatever cutscenes they had probably didn't even make sense because of that, so they added them in random (see: cutscenes in Tenebrae).

The story is poorly told throughout the entire game, not just the second half; same with the quality of cutscenes of which the majority are very amateurish. Kingsglaive being planned that far ahead with XV just tells me they wasted a bunch of time, budget, and production that could have instead been spent on finalizing and bettering the game's actual story telling and contents.

Top Bottom