• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3) JP |OT| Hot Chick + Guns + Shower Scene = mmmmm

MechaX

duckroll said:
The story for the game is amazing. Amazingly.... nonsensical. It's probably one of the most illogical serious takes on the nature of time travel I've come across. Not only does it make no sense, but it's presented in such a serious and matter of fact way that I wonder if Toriyama is really smoking so much bad weed that he really believes that the crap he's writing is actually in any way something that presents itself has being non-confusing and just bizarre. :lol

Oh God, Toriyama did the story for this game? That... kind of takes the wind out of the hype sails for me a little bit.

Since I might as well go on auto-pilot regardless of what language the story is in, how import friendly is this game?

duckroll

MechaX said:
Oh God, Toriyama did the story for this game? That... kind of takes the wind out of the hype sails for me a little bit.

Since I might as well go on auto-pilot regardless of what language the story is in, how import friendly is this game?

Depends on your threshold for import friendliness. It's certainly not the most import friendly game there is. Although pretty much all the menus in the game are in English, a lot of important text and voice is all in Japanese. Ignoring all the plot elements, there are still things like achievements, objectives, and advice you get over the radio during the missions.

Another thing to factor in is the cost of the import. Is it really worthwhile paying 2x or more for a game when you won't be able to understand most of the text? Is it worth paying more and also having to rely on text walkthroughs and translations to get through a game? Especially since the English version should be out in less than 6 months...

Peff

Actually the European version is going to be released on March 30, the US version won't be far behind, probably even the 29th. Not really worth it if the fusion system is needed to play the later levels.

Oyashiro

duckroll said:
Edit: For anyone else planning on replaying the 2 PE games before T3B is out in English, if you have concerns about how long it'll take... don't worry. PE1 took me about 9 hours, and PE2 took less than 8 hours. But ultimately I think they're about as long in terms of total actual play time, because I died a lot more in PE2 than in PE1, plus you can skip cutscenes in PE2 when replaying a segment you died at. Both games are about 10 hour affairs, and it shouldn't take more than a week to play through each one even if you don't have much spare time at all.
Thanks for that. I consider myself a slow gamer (it's not that I take time to do everything there is in a game; I just get lost and confused very easily...) and I read somewhere online that the first takes about 15 hrs and the second can take up to 50 hrs. I was pretty turned off by that but I really want to play both games. I think I'm gonna give it a shot if they're only 10 hours or so.

Sn4ke_911 said:
15waqll.jpg

"I ordered a shotgun, not a handgun! Jesus, the service in this place is terrible."

duckroll said:
Instead of using the camera to look around, maybe you should try using the map in the pause menu to check out the general layout and where you can move to evade enemies, etc on each map. I found that doing that is a lot more useful than actually looking around with the camera because sometimes you really can't tell where you're supposed to go or what is a valid path or not a valid path just by looking.

True, the map helps a little bit. My issue is not manual aiming, but things like running up staircases. Turning once you go up each section is awkward because you've got to pause, turn yourself around and then start running again.

All of this could have been fixed if the shoulder buttons were mapped to Look. But they're being used in other ways.

Anyways, are you understanding the OE fusion stuff yet? I've tried a lot of random combos and I think that's a bad thing, you can get negative statuses which slow you down and more. Doesn't seem like you're supposed to line up color with color.

duckroll

adversesolutions said:
True, the map helps a little bit. My issue is not manual aiming, but things like running up staircases. Turning once you go up each section is awkward because you've got to pause, turn yourself around and then start running again.

All of this could have been fixed if the shoulder buttons were mapped to Look. But they're being used in other ways.

Anyways, are you understanding the OE fusion stuff yet? I've tried a lot of random combos and I think that's a bad thing, you can get negative statuses which slow you down and more. Doesn't seem like you're supposed to line up color with color.

For stairs and stuff, what I usually do is I move like in a 3D action game, not a TPS. I don't actually "turn" but I keep moving with analog, and I tap the lock-on shoulder button to re-center the camera as I'm moving.

The OE Fusion stuff is interesting, and I have a pretty good grip on what I generally does. Color doesn't matter at all, instead what you want to do is plan which skills you actually want. There are chips which come with negative skills as well as positive ones, and the solution there is either to overwrite the negative skills with another chip, or to simply not use those chips. You want to connect the same skill, not the same colors. Fusing the same skills onto each other can increase the levels as well.

One thing to note is that when fusing OE Chips, the system is like SMT Demon Fusion. The end result is only visible just before you confirm, and there is a heavy random element there. If you are fusing the same skill onto the existing skill on the board (say you want to fuse an Antibody onto an Antibody lvl3 on the board) the resulting skill will be the same but the level can be anything from lvl1 to [current lvl]+1. Which means fusing Antibody onto Antibody lvl3 will result in either lvl1, lvl2, lvl3, or lvl4 Antibody. You have to be careful before you confirm. If you don't like the result cancel and select again to get a different result.

If fusing a different skill onto an existing skill, the end result can vary as well in regards to which skill stays and which is replaced. This aspect is done so that as your skills get very high in level, and you have multiple chips all over the board, it becomes harder and harder to actually get a good increased result (+1 on all parts of the chip) without wasting a lot of time doing cancel/confirm over and over. It is also designed so that it makes more sense to have a bunch of connected chips of important skills, rather than just using a single slot to level up a single skill over and over It would be pretty much impossible to get a single slot Antibody up to say lvl10 for example, but yet it is possible to use 4 slots of connected Antibodies to level them all to lvl5 each, giving you lvl20 Antibody.

Don't be greedy by wanting to have a ton of different skills on the 3x3 board, and instead focus on deciding which skills you find the most beneficial to have activate in battle. Basic stuff like Antibody, Cross Healing and Healing are more than enough early on in the game so far. I'm saving my more advanced chips for later on when I either feed I need to change my buffs, or if I get different DNA Boards. Hope that helps.

duckroll

Zenith said:
Does each weapon have its own model or is it like PE1 where there's only 1 model per weapon type?

Weapons all seem to have their own models. It's not super detailed, but you can definitely tell that all the guns have their own models and textures even in the same weapon class. Assault Rifles look different from each other, shotguns have different barrel shapes and lengths, handguns have grips which look different, etc. It's a bit hard to tell at times though, because handguns are pretty small, and a few of them look very close in appearance because of the resolution.

duckroll

When the rest of the importers get their copies, we should try and arrange to friend each other on the JP Square Enix Members site. There are Extra Stamps related to social activities on the site which will give you bonus OE Chips in the game.

maskrider

duckroll said:
When the rest of the importers get their copies, we should try and arrange to friend each other on the JP Square Enix Members site. There are Extra Stamps related to social activities on the site which will give you bonus OE Chips in the game.

Extra OE chips ? I am also a JP SE member, and bought the JP PSN version.

Playing the game on a small screen is sometimes frustrating, especially being chased by that "thing" in the corridors.

duckroll

maskrider said:
Extra OE chips ? I am also a JP SE member, and bought the JP PSN version.

Playing the game on a small screen is sometimes frustrating, especially being chased by that "thing" in the corridors.

Did you do the Square Enix Members thing? I bought it from PSN too. What you need to do is to go into the Extra option in the title screen, and select S-E Members. Then you select the latest save you have, and turn on your wifi. It'll automatically connect to the site and register a Player Code for your game. Write down the code.

Then you go here: http://member.square-enix.com/jp/special/3rd_birthday/member/

Login with you account and register your Player Code at the site. Once you do that you'll have one Extra Stamp. The next time you sync data in the game using your latest save, you will get an OE Chip as a present for having one Extra Stamp.

You can see the conditions for getting more Extra Stamps, and the in-game rewards/requirements here: http://member.square-enix.com/jp/special/3rd_birthday/community/stamp/

My nickname is duckroll2. Feel free to add me. :)

maskrider

duckroll said:
Did you do the Square Enix Members thing? I bought it from PSN too. What you need to do is to go into the Extra option in the title screen, and select S-E Members. Then you select the latest save you have, and turn on your wifi. It'll automatically connect to the site and register a Player Code for your game. Write down the code.

Then you go here: http://member.square-enix.com/jp/special/3rd_birthday/member/

Login with you account and register your Player Code at the site. Once you do that you'll have one Extra Stamp. The next time you sync data in the game using your latest save, you will get an OE Chip as a present for having one Extra Stamp.

You can see the conditions for getting more Extra Stamps, and the in-game rewards/requirements here: http://member.square-enix.com/jp/special/3rd_birthday/community/stamp/

My nickname is duckroll2. Feel free to add me. :)

Thanks. After going through some hassles (my old A/C cannot be used, and don't know whether my old points can be transferred, damn!), finally sent a friend request to you.

duckroll

maskrider said:
Thanks. After going through some hassles (my old A/C cannot be used, and don't know whether my old points can be transferred, damn!), finally sent a friend request to you.

Yay! 2 Stamps = Inferno Chip! :lol

Astery

Played through chapter 1, the game is tough. Mostly due to the fact that there's no easy way to look around the surroundings easily while walking/ running, the mini map doesn't really help much as it doesn't show the walls and corners. I have no problems with Monster Hunter's manual camera issue but this.

The time traveling story is confusing and I couldn't make much logic out of it yet.:lol

And also, am I the only one getting the vibe of Mind Jack from this game?

faridmon

duckroll said:
The story for the game is amazing. Amazingly.... nonsensical. It's probably one of the most illogical serious takes on the nature of time travel I've come across.
Expected nothing less from Toriyama. That guys is just bad story teller.

Great impressions, can't wait for the EU release.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Aya's clothes falling off is like one of the sluttiest things I've ever seen in gaming.

duckroll

No one else talking about the game so I might as well post my semi-final impressions.

I finished the game in about 11 hours. There are 6 episodes in total, and it's about a general length for a short action game. I liked the boss fights a lot, and the game in general is fun. It's more of a Japanese action game than a real full fledged shooter, and the camera does get in the way sometimes. The game is most certainly not a RPG. There's really nothing RPG about it. Definitely a pure action game which happens to have RPG-like elements in the mechanics.

I started a NG+ on Hard, and basically everything in the game carries over. You level, your DNA Boards, your weapons, all your BP, etc. In fact, the first time through the game, there are no costumes at all. The only equipment available will be the black leather and the white jacket. When you beat the game you get costumes unlocked depending on the difficulty you beat, and you can get more outfits by interacting with stuff in the HQ area between missions. You can also get a costume from the S-E Members thing.

For those getting it in English, you might want to consider a rental instead, because honestly the game is short enough to beat in 2 days, and I don't really know what long term play value a PSP shooter would have. It's also not a RPG, and the story sucks donkey balls. The ending is so stupid that I don't even want to think about the plot in the game at all. This is also not a Parasite Eve game. It's just some wacky stupid S-E action shooter which happens to star Aya Brea.

Production values are great, action is fun, bosses are great, there are some pretty nice set pieces in the stages, and the music is amazing. I'm going to try and unlock as many outfits as I can, and probably try and score all the achievements to get my money's worth out of the game. But, coming from the expectation of them actually delivering a half-decent Parasite Eve experience, I would say the game completely disappoints. It's like watching a new movie being made of some TV series I used to love, except the new director/writers fuck it all up. Kinda like Mission Impossible. :/

lupinko

I'm going to try and see if I have time tonight to play it, I charged up my 1000 a couple of days ago. Working all this overtime is driving me bonkers. :lol

Parham

Banned
duckroll said:
No one else talking about the game so I might as well post my semi-final impressions.

I finished the game in about 11 hours. There are 6 episodes in total, and it's about a general length for a short action game. I liked the boss fights a lot, and the game in general is fun. It's more of a Japanese action game than a real full fledged shooter, and the camera does get in the way sometimes. The game is most certainly not a RPG. There's really nothing RPG about it. Definitely a pure action game which happens to have RPG-like elements in the mechanics.

I started a NG+ on Hard, and basically everything in the game carries over. You level, your DNA Boards, your weapons, all your BP, etc. In fact, the first time through the game, there are no costumes at all. The only equipment available will be the black leather and the white jacket. When you beat the game you get costumes unlocked depending on the difficulty you beat, and you can get more outfits by interacting with stuff in the HQ area between missions. You can also get a costume from the S-E Members thing.

For those getting it in English, you might want to consider a rental instead, because honestly the game is short enough to beat in 2 days, and I don't really know what long term play value a PSP shooter would have. It's also not a RPG, and the story sucks donkey balls. The ending is so stupid that I don't even want to think about the plot in the game at all. This is also not a Parasite Eve game. It's just some wacky stupid S-E action shooter which happens to star Aya Brea.

Production values are great, action is fun, bosses are great, there are some pretty nice set pieces in the stages, and the music is amazing. I'm going to try and unlock as many outfits as I can, and probably try and score all the achievements to get my money's worth out of the game. But, coming from the expectation of them actually delivering a half-decent Parasite Eve experience, I would say the game completely disappoints. It's like watching a new movie being made of some TV series I used to love, except the new director/writers fuck it all up. Kinda like Mission Impossible. :/
That's a bit disheartening. :(

If you don't mind me asking, how well does the game control?

duckroll

azentium said:
That's a bit disheartening. :(

If you don't mind me asking, how well does the game control?

It controls about as well as any other action game on the PSP with a lock-on button. I don't have any major complains about the controls themselves, other than with certain aiming weapons like the sniper rifle, the analog nub sensitivity isn't that great. The only other problem is that like with all PSP action games, your hands will start to hurt after playing for a bit, and there are quite a few intense encounters in the game with lots of enemies where you have to relentlessly dodge and attack constantly. Good thing there are save points usually after such encounters, so you can just stop and rest your hands if you want.

miladesn said:
Q about the ending: Does it end on a cliffhanger, teasing for sequel or something? just curious.

No, no cliffhanger at all. Just a really stupid plot twist. I don't think the game was really made with a sequel in mind at all, but they can obviously make a sequel if they want to, it'll be even easier after this game, since it's clear they don't give a crap about retaining any sort of tone or purpose in regards to the "Parasite Eve" series.

Spiegel

Is Toriyama the only one inside of S-E who can write a story or what?

Also I'm a bit disappointed about the lenght. I don't think I'll have a problem with the controls considering I can play most psp third person shooters but this is a handheld/ps2 level game, it has been in development for a long time and it's only 11 hours long?

Is the actual (Hexadrive) staff credit small?

duckroll

Spiegel said:
Is the actual (Hexadrive) staff credit small?

11 Hexadrive programmers credited under Hexadrive (3rd Party Contractor). The actual S-E staff listing is much larger is comparable to Crisis Core. I have no idea what any of them were doing for 3 years. This is the sort of game you knock out in 10-15 months of development. Taking years for this is ridiculous.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So yeah, if I'm expecting this to be a "Parasite Eve" game, maybe I should skip it?

Also, does this game have the semi-scary vibe like what PE1 and PE2 had?

duckroll

ULTROS! said:
Also, does the game have this semi-scary vibe like what PE1 and PE2 had?

Yes, after playing the game, you will be very scared to ever look forward to another S-E story again. :(

Seriously though, no. The game is not scary at all. The enemy designs are pretty weird, but no at point in the game do you ever really feel alone or isolated, and you're always well armed. There's no exploration in the game at all, it's basically just a linear action shooter. It doesn't even have creepy moments like Gears of War's hospital stuff, or some of Uncharted's stages. I would say it's about as scary as a Call of Duty game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks, maybe I'll just get the soundtrack and watch the game through YouTube instead.

Astery

Finished the game. OMG
Aya is not Aya. No wonder the CV style on her doesn't quite fit her age since I heard it.
Yep the story still doesn't make sense, but the game is quite fun in general.

faridmon

duckroll said:

But, coming from the expectation of them actually delivering a half-decent Parasite Eve experience, I would say the game completely disappoints. It's like watching a new movie being made of some TV series I used to love, except the new director/writers fuck it all up. Kinda like Mission Impossible. :/
Thats why I always never get that hyped when Toriyama/Kitase/Tabta duo. Every single game they have delivered hav ebeen either crap or toal dissapoinment.
Maybe that lower expectation will help get out of this game, I will still buy it, but I knew this game will not stand up to the massive hype of the Otaku shower lovers.

thanks for taking the bullet for the team, even if you really would anyway.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, Duckroll, should I slit my wrists right now and save myself the disappointment of a new "Parasite Eve" game or is it at least passable for those of us waiting 10 years for a new one?

duckroll said:

If I agree with all the above, and god knows I probably will, this will be somewhere around FFXIII in terms of disappointment.

Nice impressions though. For me it will come down to how the game feels overall in terms of tone/atmosphere, and I don't mind it having no RPG elements. Hell, I liked Mass Effect 2 a great deal despite it almost being a corridor shooter but the atmosphere of the game won me over. Hope the same thing happens here.

faridmon

TheSeks said:
So, Duckroll, should I slit my wrists right now and save myself the disappointment of a new "Parasite Eve" game or is it at least passable for those of us waiting 10 years for a new one?
Haha, you already have that 3rd Birthday avatar. Man I feel bad for ya.

well, at least now, I know I can get this for discounted price after 2 month of woting for one. Thakns Duckroll.

Top Bottom