• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

DieH@rd

Banned
I just fired up the demo on my Sony 49XE9005, and daaaaaaym! This game really looks outstanding in 4K HDR.

I played closed alpha on my old 32" TV from 2011, and this is quite an upgrade. :D

MCD250

Feel like trackside NPCs look pretty good, at least at a distance (which is how one would be seeing them most of the time, anyway). Maybe not the sort of thing I'd expect a racing game to focus on much, but pretty neat.

Putty

What framerate will this game have? Is this 60fps?

Have the demo running right now, of course, in downsampling mode, but the fps is already struggling for a few seconds some times when the camera goes over a car.

It looks amazing but when they have a "performance mode" on PS4 Pro, i guess it's not locked 60fps?

External angle replays are 30fps. Gameplay proper is 60fps.

giphy.gif

farisr

I have a ks8000 how do you turn it off?
I believe he was referring to the various modes you can set via the remote on TVs. Like some TVs"stretched, 16:9, Just Scan" etc. For these TVs, even though the image the console is outputting is 16:9, the TV's 16:9 mode actually overscans, whereas Just Scan gives you the correct non-overscanned image.

For my TV it's juts "normal, stretch, wide, zoom" so it's pretty obvious I should be on Normal.

It may also show up as a "fit to screen" option on some TVs.

Don't have a KS8000 myself.

JP

I wish they'd let us play around with the camera in these replays, I know they will in the full game but it would be nice to do it here too.

More than one car casting shadows with the headlights???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwXuTUUcG5o

There was a Nurburgring video from Gamescom where it looked like all the cars were doing it, but the field was a lot more spread out, it might auto adjust depending on the situation. The Tokyo track looked the same as it did in an old video, where a car near the front and another at the back of the pack were also given proper sized light volumes with shadows.

LostDonkey

Minus the motion blur what you see is what you get...

Not really. The frames are cut in half in replays for more reasons than that.

The gulf in gameplay visuals and replay visuals is easy to see.

Hopefully DF will give a breakdown of the demo.

benzy

Not really. The frames are cut in half in replays for more reasons than that.

The gulf in gameplay visuals and replay visuals is easy to see.

Hopefully DF will give a breakdown of the demo.

Replays have to account for the much wider field of view for their camera angles, drawing more of the track on screen on top of the added motion blur and depth of field effects. That's why there's a performance hit.

What's the big graphical difference between replay and gameplay?

0jJ0RT.png

e7a6ua.png

Crayon

I'm not seeing much between the gamplay and replay besides blur and dof. But we only see the cockpit cam for moments at a time so maybe I just didnt see.

LostDonkey

What's the big graphical difference between replay and gameplay?

To my untrained eye reflections look a lot higher and more accurate during replays and the AA solution also looks better. As do some of the lighting effects on the vehicles and shadows.

It definitely looks a more complete package during replays than in race to me. Hope DF will clear it up as I said.

Smokey

I have a G27 tucked away in the closet and haven't used it in years. Really last time I REALLY used it was for GT6. Does it work on PS4?

Found a clip where you can see the opponents headlights adjusting between full and small areas.

https://youtu.be/d7El3DDpNkQ?t=35m48s

They're basic headlights on the dark car at 35:48 not really lighting up anything.
at 35:54 you see the back of the main car become lit up by them and the camera swings back showing that they're now lighting up the barriers,
then at 35:57 they start to shrink back down to the basic car-length sized light volume.

dr guildo

To my untrained eye reflections look a lot higher and more accurate during replays and the AA solution also looks better. As do some of the lighting effects on the vehicles and shadows.

It definitely looks a more complete package during replays than in race to me. Hope DF will clear it up as I said.

Again, maybe true on standard PS4, not anymore on Pro.

benzy

Found a clip where you can see the opponents headlights adjusting between full and small areas.

https://youtu.be/d7El3DDpNkQ?t=35m48s

They're basic headlights on the dark car at 35:48 not really lighting up anything.
at 35:54 you see the back of the main car become lit up by them and the camera swings back showing that they're now lighting up the barriers,
then at 35:57 they start to shrink back down to the basic car-length sized light volume.

Good spot. AI cars adjusting high beam vs. low beam? You could adjust the headlights while driving in GT5/6. It's weird to keep switching it on and off in a night race though lol.

Again, maybe true on standard PS4, not anymore on Pro.

I think it's just a placebo. Been hearing it for years about GT but no one is able to actually provide visual evidence.

Stillmatic

as fantastic as this looks this is a replay, gameplay looks great as well but nowhere near this level.

The gameplay views in replays are identical to gameplay, so when you get a view from gameplay watching replays it's a perfect indication of what the game looks like. In the beta there were no added effects such as motion blur or depth of field added. They're only added to the roadside/air camera angles. They may have changed that for the final game, but we won't know until it is out.

Aspiring

Silly question but does anyone see any color banding in the demo part where its just the car on a gray/black background? I have watched a few youtube videos and its present there but i dont know if thats compression. Have not noticed in any other game and just wanna make sure its not my tv. Here is example if you can see. Sorry just a screencap from youtube.

CVzon

Otherwise it looks crazy good

BigEmil

Also guys make sure you turn off overscan on your tv.

16:9 is more often than not the WRONG picture size setting to use.
Why? I tested both (not with this game) and 16:9 slightly cuts off more of the picture than overscan which shows like full image on my TV

Top Bottom