• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Interesting, to play the tracks in Arcade you need to unlock them via leveling up (you have the original 5 in the beta from the start). Last three unlock at level 20
Edit: This applies to time trials as well 🤔

Crayon

Pretty sure I was A. If not then what was I racing, though I did also see B with blue when I thought I was already A and I never got a red after that point. Will have to see what I am on the 18th.

Oh that's interesting I did not see anyone mention getting a.

I was stuck in C the whole time. I wasn't intentionally trying to go for clean sectors; I didn't even realize that was part of the rating system until a couple days in.

I think if nothing else, I hope you'd agree that false penalties should be fixed. The game knows your speed, the other person's speed, and the reasonable speed for that area of the track, so if someone rear-ends you at dangerous speed you shouldn't get a penalty for it. I agree that we don't know the details of the system, but there was a lot of suspicious stuff happening in the demo on that front.

Ultimately what I'm saying is, I want the penalty system to work well for everyone, even the 'riff-raff' as you put it. Be lenient on people trying to learn, but be severe on people who just want to play bumper cars.

I do agree with that, I just think they may need way more details/information before calibrating and/or tinkering accordingly. I don't see this system as a fixed system, and if it is, then that's a huge, huge mistake IMO.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-16_at_22.54.12.jpg

How about now? Is it still low res?

Vol5

So I'm correct after playing the demo that there is no real upgrade path to cars at all? Meaning I can't buy a turbo or intercooler for my mazda and go crazy? That was a great feature in the previous games and I'm sad it's not made Sport. Tinkering with the car and testing it on track was a lot of fun.

Oh that's interesting I did not see anyone mention getting a.

It was on the day with the Mazda and the GT3's. I also went to C DR but when I checked my proflile before I stopped playing it was D again with only a three quarters full bar. It had definitely saved though prior to that.

Loudninja

So I'm correct after playing the demo that there is no real upgrade path to cars at all? Meaning I can't buy a turbo or intercooler for my mazda and go crazy? That was a great feature in the previous games and I'm sad it's not made Sport. Tinkering with the car and testing it on track was a lot of fun.
This is the stuff you can do to your car.
Want to set up your vehicle for road, dirt, or drift? The Car Settings within your Garage allow you to change your tires, brake bias, suspension, aerodynamics, drivetrain, transmission, and power to weight ratio — basically anything you’d want to tune, you can!

That’s not the only way you can customize your ride, though. In GT Sport, every mile driven means extra rewards for you; with Mileage Exchange, you can trade in-game miles for a host of customization options for your driver avatar and vehicles within your Garage.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/14/gran-turismo-sport-eight-things-you-need-to-know/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So are cars in the game such that there are cars that can be exclusively obtained from credits, those exclusively obtained from mileage store, exclusively obtained from daily log in roulette, exclusively obtained from campaign prizes, and so on?

Based on the demo you can trade mileage points to essentially upgrade the maximum performance of your car. This allows you to increase the max HP and adjust/increase weight reduction. Remains to be seen how this will be used - is it just for fun and customization, or can you take a Mazda and move it up to a different group/class (I didn't see it in the demo).

But no, you cannot specifically go and buy an exhaust or turbo for your car.

Tomeru

So are cars in the game such that there are cars that can be exclusively obtained from credits, those exclusively obtained from mileage store, exclusively obtained from daily log in roulette, exclusively obtained from campaign prizes, and so on?

There are cars that don't appear under the brand central menu, and can be bought only in the milegae exchange (today it's the C7 GR3 road car).

If that was what you meant.

Prophane33

I can't believe I'll be playing Gran Turismo Sport at this time tomorrow (assuming the servers don't crap out). I've had the LE pre-ordered since May of last year and was super bummed when it was delayed. Granted, I think this is a better time for me work/life balance wise to actually have time to play it. I've been playing since GT1, which was literally the game that got me into racing games. Been playing a lot of GT6 to get ready too.

Even though the demo really made me waffle on my pre-order (the constant crashes/disconnects really soured me on it), I'm still extremely hyped. I'm hoping that all the issues I had with the demo are fixed. The only other thing that has me concerned is that I've only ever played like one or two online races in GT5 and 6, so getting used to an online focused racing game is going to be an adjustment; however, I'm not the type to completely dismiss GT: Sport for wanting to do something different (in being multiplayer focused).

Any idea when we can start expecting reviews?

WoolyNinja

I don't understand people going on and on about no rain/snow. That should be one of the last things a racing dev should worry about. Personally I dislike watching races in the rain, and I definitely dislike racing in games in weather. Just give me a clean track so I can keep trying to improve my times.

Bombshell posted this a few pages back.

Reviews

Tuesday October 17th, 2017 at 00:01AM PST / 03:01AM EST / 08:01AM BST / 09:01AM CET / 17:01PM JST / 19:01PM AEDT

DavidDesu

I just watched the Kazunori presentation and the Hamilton clip within it.

Interesting how his dad would find out where the fastest karting racer was braking and then stand further up the road as a marker for Hamilton to push him to be better... Made me think that we should be able to do something like that in game when we're practicing. Like the game shows you a marker on the track exactly where you started braking on your last lap, and keep updating lap by lap so you can challenge your own breaking zones until you reach your limit.

I love the new version of the racing line, which is basically markers highlighting the entry, apex and exit of the corners... that's a much better system than a racing line as I think it will help novices understand what the racing line actually was for, rather than people blindly following the line no matter if they were at optimal speed or not and sort of not actually thinking about it. Entry-apex-exit is what it's all about.

benzy

I love the new version of the racing line, which is basically markers highlighting the entry, apex and exit of the corners... that's a much better system than a racing line as I think it will hep novices understand what the racing line actually was for, rather than people blindly following the line no matter if they were at optimal speed or not and sort of not actually thinking about it. Entry-apex-exit is what it's all about.

Yeah, I actually used the physical racing cones instead of the hovering markers (which still looks too gamey like the driving line for my taste). The racing cones are a fantastic addition.

qygfFE.png

Yup. I'm in Los Angeles and it says it unlocks in 5 hours. That's 9PM my time.

Nice. Thought I was going to have to wait until 3am like the demo. Barely got any sleep that night.

I just watched the Kazunori presentation and the Hamilton clip within it.

Interesting how his dad would find out where the fastest karting racer was braking and then stand further up the road as a marker for Hamilton to push him to be better... Made me think that we should be able to do something like that in game when we're practicing. Like the game shows you a marker on the track exactly where you started braking on your last lap, and keep updating lap by lap so you can challenge your own breaking zones until you reach your limit.

I love the new version of the racing line, which is basically markers highlighting the entry, apex and exit of the corners... that's a much better system than a racing line as I think it will help novices understand what the racing line actually was for, rather than people blindly following the line no matter if they were at optimal speed or not and sort of not actually thinking about it. Entry-apex-exit is what it's all about.

There is the break guide in the game but for break points you make a mental note. There are always standard markers on tracks you initially pick one and try it out, if you feel you can go faster you try one further down, if there are none you use a barrier, a fence, or a bit of paint as a rough guide. You then figure it out based on the type of car you are driving and its unique characteristics then experiment. Doing this is the fastest way to learn the tracks and helps massively and makes each lap very enjoyable.

Also the entry, apex and exit guides aren't the standard racing lines just rough guides. I noticed on the brands hatch races everyone was taking the early apex rather than the racing apex on the first corner which made that a pain in the arse for me as i wanted to hit the racing apex but meant people were on my inside usually drifting out at the point I wanted to hit it, I turned on the guide to have a look on the hot laps and the apex was set to be early. It's good for people new as it isn't so hand holding but it also isn't teaching them the standard racing line either which is a shame it would be nice if there was someway to teaching people this within game as it makes for better and faster races.

Is it a half day setup? A friend suggested to give me his for a while.Did you use GIMX, etc?

I have a T80 Driveclub edition but is missing FFB.

hmm I kinda started and stopped the process like a year ago, but took me like an hour today to get it lol. I downloaded the latest version of some stuff so that might have helped

I used GIMX. I built my own USB DIY kit

test_account

XP-39C²
Could only do a quick race but my first impression is that the game seems to run well and the car and lighting look great. The environments don’t look great though. The mountains in the background looked fake and the trees looked bad. PS4 Pro btw.

Also I’m really bad at it so it’s definitely a Gran Turismo game.
Yeah I felt quite "meh" about the in race visuals. Nice enough. But lacking atmosphere.

Replay of same race looked amazing.

I'd prefer it the other way around though if I had to choose.
What would you guys do differently to the enviorment? Personally, from what i've seen, the eviorment looks great.

What would you guys do differently to the enviorment? Personally, from what i've seen, the eviorment looks great.

Looks a bit to clean. Too videogamey. Reminds me of Sega arcade racers. The lack of real world tracks doesn't help either.

It's great for blue sky gaming. And often that means it can be more visual appealing than PCars 2 or Forza 7 - because those games throw lots of deliberately ugly weather or light conditions at the player. GTS kinda looks like those work in progress special effects shots you see for Hollywood blockbusters before they've added all the smoke and atmosphere. GTS is how you remember the holiday, Forza7 what is was like when you were there.

The post of mine you highlighted is more about how I feel, my emotional response to the visuals, rather than a technical analysis. I can totally see why the GTS approach to scenery would appeal to people and to them look better than rivals. It's just not for me.

test_account

XP-39C²
Looks a bit to clean. Too videogamey. Reminds me of Sega arcade racers. The lack of real world tracks doesn't help either.

It's great for blue sky gaming. And often that means it can be more visual appealing than PCars 2 or Forza 7 - because those games throw lots of deliberately ugly weather or light conditions at the player. GTS kinda looks like those work in progress special effects shots you see for Hollywood blockbusters before they've added all the smoke and atmosphere. GTS is how you remember the holiday, Forza7 what is was like when you were there.

The post of mine you highlighted is more about how I feel, my emotional response to the visuals, rather than a technical analysis. I can totally see why the GTS approach to scenery would appeal to people and to them look better than rivals. It's just not for me.
Fair enough. I was just curious what you would do differently, doesnt necessarily have to be about technical stuff in that regards.

Top Bottom