• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Forza 7 down 22% from Forza 6, down 60% from Forza Horizon 3

Purdy

Not sure if its due to the loot boxes but good, CR bonus not being tied to changing the settings is a joke

Why suffer Forza's microtransaction systems when Gran Turismo Sport is around the corner? Microsoft has gone fully greedy this year's release. All Sony needs to do is release a game that isn't as exploited by these systems, and I'm in.

Theorry

Why suffer Forza's microtransaction systems when Gran Turismo Sport is around the corner? Microsoft has gone fully greedy this year's release. All Sony needs to do is release a game that isn't as exploited by these systems, and I'm in.

Isnt GT sport gonna be a pretty "barebones" game with added cars, tracks after release? :D

Due to brand rec and ps4 install base, GTS could be a demo and the Forza could be excellent and packed with content and GTS will still sell better. That's just the way of things.

However Forza 7 is really very good, loot boxes not withstanding.

It's okay you can say due to quality as well.

Does this include PC? I only ask because I got Forza 6 on Xbox but this year I got it on PC. So this would have an affect on the sales (if there were more like me). However if it is in the sales then ignore this.

Gestault

Does this include PC? I only ask because I got Forza 6 on Xbox but this year I got it on PC. So this would have an affect on the sales (if there were more like me). However if it is in the sales then ignore this.

I don't think PC is included, because that only has the digital release. I doubt it makes a substantial difference, but cross-buy this gen has made me buy a lot of games digitally as a matter of course when I'd never have gone that way in the past. I only know my own reference point, but I doubt I'm alone there.

Guys from Turn 10 are in a pickle imo. FM7 seems to try to borrow some things from Forza Horizon to bring more excitement, but I don't think that trying to make the Motorsport series to look more like Horizon is the way to go. It's just to going to make FM less relevant and more people will skip the new entry and wait another year for a new Horizon game. On the other side they have very demanding sim players who won't agree to any compromise and I bet a lot of them can't stand things like mods affecting races, tires automatically switching to accomodate the weather or the game not giving out penalties for cutting corners.
I'm one of those people who want the Motorsport side of forza to be more serious, add pits, add qualifying and even add a flag system for corner cutting and iligal moves, oh and actual racing AI.

Not Drake

I don't think there's enough console audience overlap for it to matter outside of the obvious shitty console wars.

There are a lot of holes in this point but I won't bother before people start branding me as a GT hater by going through my posting history.

That being said, extremely childish point.

Best wishes.

The first Forza released in May 2005. So we've received 7 installments in 12,5 years (not counting the Horizon series).

The first Gran Turismo released in december 1997. So we've received 7 installments in 20 years (not counting the prologues and the concepts).

- When looking at these numbers: is the cause franchise fatigue?
- Is the reason the smaller part of the console market of the Xbox One in comparison to the 360?
- Are racing games just less popular?
- Have racing game lovers moved to PC and/or PS4?

What say you, GAF?

shandy706

Not sure if its due to the loot boxes but good, CR bonus not being tied to changing the settings is a joke

I played the game for the first time this weekend.

I didn't run into any settings I couldn't change?

What I've played has been incredible. I'll ignore the loot crates...and did while playing.

Edit* Wait, are you saying changing the settings = no credits bonus? Is that it...may have misunderstood you. I didn't even pay attention to that, haha.

I'll be playing both. There's nothing to "suffer" in Forza 7. The game/gamplay is excellent. Hence the great review scores.

HooYaH

The first Forza released in May 2005. So we've received 7 installments in 12,5 years (not counting the Horizon series).

The first Gran Turismo released in december 1997. So we've received 7 installments in 20 years (not counting the prologues and the concepts).

- When looking at these numbers: is the cause franchise fatigue?
- Is the reason the smaller part of the console market of the Xbox One in comparison to the 360?
- Are racing games just less popular?
- Have racing game lovers moved to PC and/or PS4?

What say you, GAF?

Time for Turn 10 to make their own Omega Boost.

Bioshocker

The Forza Fatigue sets in. Took longer than expected!

This is my analysis too. They've released one Forza every year since Xbox One launched. Forza Horizon 3 is a masterpiece, but neither Forza Motorsport 5 nor 6 did it for me, and 7 seems just to be more of the same.

Bring back Project Gotham Racing, someone!

Gestault

Do they release a Forza game every year? I'm not saying that's the problem, but that's likely the problem.

UK has had something of a market constriction this year that's shown up in comparative sales even for series without yearly/bi-yearly releases, which is something worth noting. Last year's Horizon game had been up significantly.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Don't make yearly releases of the same racing IP. And cut back on the loot box/crate garbage.
You'll see them numbers go up, no doubt.

EmiPrime

Horizon has much broader appeal, has its own distinct identity and is much more accessible. I hate cars but the Horizon series is pure joy. The new locations for each game are a much bigger incentive to buy the latest versions than "more or less the same as 2 years ago but with better graphics" too.

blakep267

Don't make yearly releases of the same racing IP. And cut back on the loot box/crate garbage.
You'll see them numbers go up, no doubt.
Nah. I think you guys are overestimating how popular the Motorsport side is. ~30k is about right for FM games. It's not going to go up of it takes a break. That's just what the audience is. It's peaked. Horizon hasn't yet because introducing different environments and locales is still interesting

norm9

Not sure if FM7 offers enough differences from FM6 for me to make the jump, as well as the download size is enormous. I can spend all my download time playing F6 or Fh3 instead.

I think Forza Motorsport has been on a decline ever since FM4. The bi annual structure leads to less change per iteration and I also feel like they've lost their vision a bit.

Hawk269

Been playing the game since early access and I dont feel amy suffering from the loot boxes. For the record I have pc2 and am getting gts as well. Loot crates has been a non issue. Nice try though.

Jumeira

Banned
Horizon has much broader appeal, has its own distinct identity and is much more accessible. I hate cars but the Horizon series is pure joy. The new locations for each game are a much bigger incentive to buy the latest versions than "more or less the same as 2 years ago but with better graphics" too.

Agreed.

Fishook

As a PC owner I have only gotten into Forza the last year or so. I adore the series but I can see me getting bored in the long run as there is only so many times I can collect a particular car. Also the amount of releases the last few months is just silly as per usual Unless you are die hard fan or plays a lot of multiplayer, there no point getting it early doors.

There only so much a average gamer can spent there money on.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
So many people in my circle of friends just wait for price drops in the U.K. especially with games releasing near the end of the year as there is so much competition for publishers.

This game along with Mordor 2, TEW2 and AC Origins will all be sub £25 by December 1st on Amazon. If not they’ll be in the Xmas sales.

The only games I buy day one nowadays are Switch games (as they very rarely price drop inside the first year) and multiplayer games I play with a close friend.

Having an insane backlog also helps with holding off on new releases.

There are also only upsides to waiting nowadays on top of the price drops with bugs and performance patches usually releasing inside the first month.

leeh

To be fair, I think previous data wouldn't have digital either? So in those terms, it's consistent (even though digital sales have been growing slowly in comparison, year-to-year).
First Play Anywhere mainline Forza.
Why suffer waiting for 4 years for a racing game with hardly any content when you can play Forza 7?

DocSeuss

I played the game for the first time this weekend.

I didn't run into any settings I couldn't change?

What I've played has been incredible. I'll ignore the loot crates...and did while playing.

Edit* Wait, are you saying changing the settings = no credits bonus? Is that it...may have misunderstood you. I didn't even pay attention to that, haha.

I'll be playing both. There's nothing to "suffer" in Forza 7. The game/gamplay is excellent. Hence the great review scores.

Yes, the difficulty no longer influences credit bonus.

Yes "suffer" lol.

Also virtuous Sony would never have micro-transactions in their games...

Here's how I deal, I ignore them.

Im sure everything contributed some. A lot of happy FH3 owners(me), more digital sales(maybe) and I'm sure there are some that are opting for GTS, but I would assume it's because it's new and there has been a lot of Forza to play in the last 4 years.

leeh

Yes, the difficulty no longer influences credit bonus.
The difficulty is the only thing which dictates credit bonus.
Here's how I deal, I ignore them.
Exactly.

With how people are going off about Forzas MT's it's like Phil is storming through your door and holding you hostage because you've not put any money into MT's.

I've spent a good chunk of my free time into Forza 7 and I've not even been shown a screen with any MT's.

Hell even when I've opened crates with CR, I've not even seen the option to use money.

Why suffer waiting for 4 years for a racing game with hardly any content when you can play Forza 7?
As I mentioned above, that model probably works better for racers now. One game that is continually updated rather than several games across the same generation.

Falchion

I'm just going to blindly blame it on the loot boxes. Glad Horizon 3 is still shining, it's still the best driving game I've ever played.

leeh

Thread title says it all. It's just another Forza game.
With dynamic weather, ToD and more tracks and a restructured campaign.

Like literally everything Forza fans have wanted. It's one of the most complete packages IMO.

I've put many hours into Forza (for me anyway), and I'm currently a Tier 9 player in the rewards scheme. It doesn't just feel like "another Forza" to me.

As I mentioned above, that model probably works better for racers now. One game that is continually updated rather than several games across the same generation.
Completely agree on that front. Forza should be a service, thought it for a while tbh.

WHM-6R

Neo Member

Actually its better now.

Turning off all assists in FM6 = 76% credit bonus.
I can beat that handily with mods. Hell the Suggested line off clean lap mod is 80% by itself.

Also you never got a bonus for racing in the rain or at night before, also players who wanted/needed the assists never could get a bonus before, now they can.

Amazing what you can learn when you just find out for yourself instead of being mad about what the internet tells you to be mad about.

dugdug

Banned
Guys from Turn 10 are in a pickle imo. FM7 seems to try to borrow some things from Forza Horizon to bring more excitement, but I don't think that trying to make the Motorsport series to look more like Horizon is the way to go. It's just to going to make FM less relevant and more people will skip the new entry and wait another year for a new Horizon game. On the other side they have very demanding sim players who won't agree to any compromise and I bet a lot of them can't stand things like mods affecting races, tires automatically switching to accomodate the weather or the game not giving out penalties for cutting corners.

Yeah, this is what ultimately turned me off after a couple hours of FM7. The actual racing was good, but, then, the race would end, and some buttrock music would start playing, and, it'd try to get all flashy. That fits for Horizon, but, feels out of place here.

As I seem to do with every Forza release here is some perspective

This is the leader board from FM6 for the first mandatory race 7 days after the Tuesday release

LiQtuga.png

And here is FM7 6 days after the Tuesday release

A diffrence of 67,500.

Yes its down but not to such a huge amount to cause all this fuss. I swear I have had to do this in every thread since Forza Horizon launched on the 360. There is this strange hate boner that wants Forza to fall off a cliff and disappear.

This is my analysis too. They've released one Forza every year since Xbox One launched. Forza Horizon 3 is a masterpiece, but neither Forza Motorsport 5 nor 6 did it for me, and 7 seems just to be more of the same.

Bring back Project Gotham Racing, someone!

Not just Xbox One.

There has been a Forza game, either Motorsport or Horizon every year since 2011. That's 6 nonstop years from the Forza IP.

Motorsport has peaked. It's highest haul was 6 years ago with FM4 @ 100k+ first week in the UK. It's likely also the best selling game in the franchise, next to FM3. The same thing happened with NFS. The IP just needs a break and let the games breathe.

FH is still new in concept but I'm sure FH4 will see a drop from FH3 unless they do something new like Tokyo Drift atmosphere.

While GT needs to come out more often or more fleshed out, Forza needs to slow itself down.

Best wishes.

Is this like a pr statement or something? well let's see GTS doesn't have a career mode, has damn near 500 less cars and is always online. Hard pass

Top Bottom