• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts (Oct. 14, 2023) | Lords of the Fallen debuts at No.4; Forza Motorsport fails to reach top 20.

"When you put a game like Forza Horizon 4 on Game Pass, you instantly have more players of the game, which is actually leading to more sales of the game," Phil Spencer said in 2018.

Is that it? Because I do remember that interview, and he was clearly just saying word of mouth and trends lead to more sales of games, not that they sell more overall. I don’t mean any offense but why is GAF so retarded when it comes to Phil Spencer? It’s like the only place on the internet like this. I guess maybe twitter too but I don’t use it. Why did I even bother to ask for a quote.

Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys

Mr Moose

Is that it? Because I do remember that interview, and he was clearly just saying word of mouth and trends lead to more sales of games, not that they sell more overall. I don’t mean any offense but why is GAF so retarded when it comes to Phil Spencer? It’s like the only place on the internet like this. I guess maybe twitter too but I don’t use it. Why did I even bother to ask for a quote.

Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys
"which is actually leading to more sales of the game,"

Is that it? Because I do remember that interview, and he was clearly just saying word of mouth and trends lead to more sales of games,
thanks to Game Pass.

not that they sell more overall.
PvNcdEU.jpg

I don’t mean any offense but why is GAF so retarded when it comes to Phil Spencer? It’s like the only place on the internet like this. I guess maybe twitter too but I don’t use it. Why did I even bother to ask for a quote.
Taking about retardation....🏃🥅🏃 this hard requires a special kind of mind indeed.

MrTired

Game Pass was only starting back then so it was a different market situation. But yeah, it's still a bad start considering box versions of Horizon games sell well.
It selling worst than detective pikachu's second week sales number which means it's likely to be in the triple digit range. That's a disaster anyway you look at it.

Pelta88

Using GP to damage control was viable before the acquisition. Using that same argument, after Microsoft showcased in court just how value destructive GP is, means you're intentionally arguing in bad faith. We didn't just get a peek behind the GP curtain. Microsoft incinerated that curtain leaving GP nothing to hide behind.

steve-harvey-im-just-saying.gif

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Game doesn't sell well, because its shit and to expensive and on top of it its naming is confusing as fuck.

I played this game on my laptop and at max settings this game is 40% more demanding then cyberpunk with pathtracing and everything maxed out. Beyond ridicilous.

The same goes for starfield well to whatever applies to that.

The same goes for anything that's shit and to expensive.

A game that's good will naturally sell well.

Last edited:
Game doesn't sell well, because its shit and to expensive and on top of it its naming is confusing as fuck.

I played this game on my laptop and at max settings this game is 40% more demanding then cyberpunk with pathtracing and everything maxed out. Beyond ridicilous.

The same goes for starfield well to whatever applies to that.

The same goes for anything that's shit and to expensive.

A game that's good will naturally sell well.

Not sure if the naming has that much to do with it.

God of War had no problems. The EA FC is still selling relatively well despite not having the FIFA name.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Forza Motorsports series was never a big seller. Maybe they thought this will change a bit with this release but nothing has changed.

I see that the narrative has completely changed since that lonely week that Starfield was first and today....well OK, with or without GP that a new Forza after 6 years debuts in 23rd place is not normal.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't know why anyone in their right mind would think that games that are released day and date on a subscription service for a few bucks a month would sell well at retail.
Much less expect that in a current gen Xbox ecosystem where the majority of the consoles sold so far have been digital-only that any first party Xbox game would top the list of boxed games sold. With the digital to physical ratio shifting more to physical every year the fighting over UK boxed charts is becoming meme worthy.

Last edited:
The worst thing for Microsoft is that their gamepass strategy hasn't done anything to increase their marketshare, instead it's the total opposite. They've fallen even further behind and have a system that is in decline in only its 3rd year struggling to even outsell a 7 year old system, never mind its closest competitor. This after having bought many many studios and now two major publishers. The brand is straight up tarnished at this point. I don't think it'll ever change and Microsoft will exit the console business eventually.

Klosshufvud

thanks to Game Pass.

PvNcdEU.jpg

Taking about retardation....🏃🥅🏃 this hard requires a special kind of mind indeed.
""You say, 'Well isn't everyone just going to subscribe for $10 and go play this thing?' But no, gamers find things to play based on what everybody else is playing. What's #1 on Mixer, what's #1 on Twitch, what's my friend's list [saying], what are people saying on Discord, they go everywhere to see. When these games hit something like GamePass with all these players, it instantly raises the awareness.""

This complete clown is the supposed savior of Xbox. No wonder his strategy is as basic as simply buying out whatever is popular at the moment. A cultural black hole.

The worst thing for Microsoft is that their gamepass strategy hasn't done anything to increase their marketshare, instead it's the total opposite. They've fallen even further behind and have a system that is in decline in only its 3rd year struggling to even outsell a 7 year old system, never mind its closest competitor. This after having bought many many studios and now two major publishers. The brand is straight up tarnished at this point. I don't think it'll ever change and Microsoft will exit the console business eventually.

I think that MS is fine with momentarily loss leading until after they have absorbed so much content that you basically have no choice but to subscribe to GP for some crazy fee in the future.
How long they are willing to do it is the question....

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

People are trying hard to damage control and hide behind the digital veil. What they don't realize even with 90% digital (extremely generous), Forza sold like peanuts.

Gamepass is the best value in gaming indeed. No purchase of games is necessary.

I'm not sure what you are even saying here. MS is offering that subscription on purpose, if that's how players choose to access the content they have no problem with that. In fact that would be by far the stickiest access method for them, and thus, the preferred one.

Does millions of people purchasing GP have an impact on their sales numbers? I'm sure it does. That's just part of it, an expected result. Same with Adobe Cloud and MS Office and all the other software subscriptions, once more people are renting the software fewer are left to buy it. It's very simple. People try to take statements they made about third-party releases and twist that into MS implying the same for their first-party content, which simply isn't the case.

All that said, this game was not doing crazy numbers even if it wasn't on GP. About 1/4 of the FH5 numbers looks like it would be a best case scenario for a track racer at this point. Forza Horizon, Need for Speed and the other more arcade racers are simply more popular (though no racers are lighting it up that much at the moment).

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
People are trying hard to damage control and hide behind the digital veil. What they don't realize even with 90% digital (extremely generous), Forza sold like peanuts.

Gamepass is the best value in gaming indeed. No purchase of games is necessary.
Thats the thing a game flops hard physically, it probably flopped hard digitally as well
I really thought xbox was in a better position after last gen at the start, but instead they've bungled and botched every step
Starfield ended up okay when it should have been an earthshaker
Halo, gears and forza mismanaged,
Funny sonybis criticized (and fairly at that) for their gaas push, but atleast those were supplemental to sonys core games, ms went whole hog on gas with their tent poles

Well I look forward to xbox sx all digital deservedly flopping as a testament to Ms poor decisions in pursuit of control

yazenov

I'm not sure what you are even saying here. MS is offering that subscription on purpose, if that's how players choose to access the content they have no problem with that. In fact that would be by far the stickiest access method for them, and thus, the preferred one.

Does millions of people purchasing GP have an impact on their sales numbers? I'm sure it does. That's just part of it, an expected result. Same with Adobe Cloud and MS Office and all the other software subscriptions, once more people are renting the software fewer are left to buy it. It's very simple. People try to take statements they made about third-party releases and twist that into MS implying the same for their first-party content, which simply isn't the case.

All that said, this game was not doing crazy numbers even if it wasn't on GP. About 1/4 of the FH5 numbers looks like it would be a best case scenario for a track racer at this point. Forza Horizon, Need for Speed and the other more arcade racers are simply more popular (though no racers are lighting it up that much at the moment).

The problem with subscription models is that companies initially lower the prices of their subs to drive growth and attract consumers with it's value proposition. However, as seen with companies such as Netflix, Disney, and MS's Gamepass, these initial rates are not sustainable as they need to make a profit, hense the constant and graduel increase in prices.

And by MS own admission, subscription growth has stalled due to lower than expect hardware sales, and probably due to increased prices and market saturation. We don't get the usual chest pumping of subscribers increase as we did for the last 2 years because of the lowered growth rates.

With the constant increase in subscription prices, it will be interesting to see the retention rates of those subscribers or if it will negatively impact it's growth rate.

The experiment of the subscription model in the gaming industry has yet to be proven lucrative or even a success, as apposed to the convention method of the buy to play games.

So your comparisons of subscription models from different Industries as somehow a barometer of success for MS in the gaming sphere is frankly not comparable. We have yet to see the outcome of this as MS refuses to disclose any useful information in its financials such as profits in the gaming industry.

As of now though, it's clear that Gamepass has affected the purchasing habits of the user base, contrary to MS's initial claims.

Woopah

TLDR is in bold

Firstly I agree that Forza has not done great, is full of bugs and has not released to a great reception from fans and critics alike so this isn't a post to try and say that Forza has done better than it has, it is more of a post arguing how much weight these boxed charts really carry in the grand scheme of things. <1% relevance...

Boxed charts aren't the most accurate metric.

MS have been pushing people to buy digital for a long time and if that was a success then you would naturally see boxed sales on Xbox drop through the floor. I am not trying to play defence force here just putting across a point of view that is more representative of my own circumstances. My own personal gaming purchase habits would never register on these boxed game charts and judging by the responses in the below thread...

It seems that my own habits are not too far away from the average these days. Microsoft were certainly the first console maker to start the push towards digital only and they have also shown the most commitment to making their customers digital back catalogue available on current and future consoles (as well as PC) so it stands to reason that their customers would skew the sales heavily away from boxed whereas both Sony and Nintendo have not given off signals that have been anywhere near as convincing. There is a reason that Playstation store gift cards are so popular (people don't trust Sony with their credit card details), Sony also charged for upgrades from PS4 to PS5 games and are more happy to remaster games than continue supporting them across generations. Nintendo are even worse, forcing people to buy the exact same game time after time on the latest console, dropping support completely for previous generations as soon as possible. More people buy boxed for PS and Nintendo than Xbox.

On the other side of the coin, both Sony and Nintendo have a much larger userbase so you would expect them to have a bigger impact on the sales of a game and when a game is exclusive to Xbox (taking PC out of this as no one buys boxed PC games anyway) it will naturally have a much smaller chance of getting into the charts than an exclusive on the other two systems. Third party games always do better than exclusives anyway and that does show in the charts.

So, Xbox has a much smaller userbase but also that userbase is (not factually as far as i can make out but more than likely) more inclined to buy digitally as well. We don't really know the majority of the factual information needed to fully analyse it as we don't know the split in sales between physical and digital for any of the 3 consoles and we don't get the sales figures from the digital stores either. We don't know the Gamepass numbers, we don't know how many Gamepass subscribers played Forza and we don't know how many of them bought the game or upgraded to the premium edition. But, we can look at data available for other titles.

We can look at Minecraft in the boxed charts. It is the Switch version that remains fairly consistently in the boxed charts even though it was released on Switch 6 years ago. The Switch is not the most popular platform for the game with mobile being easily the biggest platform for it. Minecraft has sold 5 million copies on Switch as of October 2022 (Wikipedia) and has sold more on Switch that both Xbox and Playstation yet, total sales of Minecraft are over 300 million (Minecraft Live 2023). So that means the console that has shifted the most copies of Minecraft still only accounts 1.7% of the total sales. Add to that the boxed sales will only be a fraction of this 1.7% as well (at most 50%). You really only get boxed games for consoles so all in all, boxed sales are nearly irrelevant as a metric for how popular Minecraft is.

If anything I would argue the point that Sony and Nintendo gamers are the most reluctant to move to digital purchases and boxed charts are the biggest proof of this.
Out of curiosity, which Wikipedia page did you get that Minecraft Switch number from?

By October 2022 Minecraft Switch had sold over 2.8 million just from physical sales in Japan. It had also sold 1.2 million in France.

5 million is wayyyyy too low to be the total global figures

Taycan77

Uk chart sales don't matter!!! How many times does it have to be said, well maybe that one week that Starfield charted #1 on the UK charts it mattered but every other week it doesn't 😤
The UK is by far Microsoft's strongest market outside the US.

Forza Motorsport is/was one of Microsoft's top 3 franchises.

The UK, and Europe in general, is the racing genres strongest market.

After taking into account the Gamepass effect and rise of digital (which affects all new titles). I still expected Forza Motorsport to chart in the top 10, if only in the lower reaches, and for the first week.

If Forza Motorsport is not in the top 20 UK charts. It's unlikely to be in the top 50 in other European countries, let alone Asia and the Middle East, where titles like GT fair well.

While first week sales are important, the biggest selling driving titles (be they GT, Forza, Mario Kart), rack up the big numbers by being perennial sellers. You can add Gamepass to that given how Forza Horizon 4 & 5 still chart respectfully.

The trouble for Forza Motorsport is the poor launch may already be irredeemable. Poor reputations stick and that's an issue for a title designed as a GAAS. This game was 6 years in the making and it could be a similar period before the next game. That's a tough task to keep the playerbase engaged and growing.

On Gamepass itself, very few people play games 24/7, let alone a wide variety of titles and genres. Most people have half-a-dozen favourites, if only because play time is the limiting factor. Not accessibility. You could give me access to 1,000 titles but I can only dedicate the same time each week to gaming. That's why people gravitate to the big F2P titles and tentpole releases like Spider-Man 2 and FC24.

DragonNCM

The problem with subscription models is that companies initially lower the prices of their subs to drive growth and attract consumers with it's value proposition. However, as seen with companies such as Netflix, Disney, and MS's Gamepass, these initial rates are not sustainable as they need to make a profit, hense the constant and graduel increase in prices.

And by MS own admission, subscription growth has stalled due to lower than expect hardware sales, and probably due to increased prices and market saturation. We don't get the usual chest pumping of subscribers increase as we did for the last 2 years because of the lowered growth rates.

With the constant increase in subscription prices, it will be interesting to see the retention rates of those subscribers or if it will negatively impact it's growth rate.

The experiment of the subscription model in the gaming industry has yet to be proven lucrative or even a success, as apposed to the convention method of the buy to play games.

So your comparisons of subscription models from different Industries as somehow a barometer of success for MS in the gaming sphere is frankly not comparable. We have yet to see the outcome of this as MS refuses to disclose any useful information in its financials such as profits in the gaming industry.

As of now though, it's clear that Gamepass has affected the purchasing habits of the user base, contrary to MS's initial claims.
You cant compare gamepass to Netflix or Disney other subscription services because Netflix & others don't make profit from their subscribers pass subscription.
On other hand gamepass is making a lot of profit from GASS & DLC's and sales.
Comparing movie streaming services with game subscriptions like Gamepass is comparing apples with eggs & we can't tell the math because MS is clever hiding that information.
Besides Xbox is also selling games & have grate discounts. At this moment I'm buying more games on my series S as second console then on my PS5.
Till MS don't shows separate numbers of their Xbox division profit we can only speculate & I can tell you something fishy is going on here because MS is always showing in publics like victims & on other hand
they are making acquisitions of 69B$. They are up for something & we will see in next 5 years what is that.

DaGwaphics

I think it's much more a case of you either intentionally or otherwise misreading and/or misunderstanding the claims they've made and the context the statements were made in more than anything else.

What is this user base you speak of? GP subscribers? Non GP Xbox buyers? And for what games are we talking about, games included in GP? Games outside the service? What sales data do you have to make the claims etc.? Many, many questions with that statement.

Taur007

Wow. So suddenly the Series S is 80% of Xbox Series hardware sales. Massive!
This was already proven recently in the string of leaks, I think the split is nore like 70/30 though and cant forget they use series x for xcloud servers

Taur007

And who’s fault is that that ”all” Xbox consoles don’t have disc drives?
Not saying there's a fault, IJS 75% of "next gen" xbox users have a digital console (series s), so why are you worried about if a game charts physically?

Mowcno

This was already proven recently in the string of leaks, I think the split is nore like 70/30 though and cant forget they use series x for xcloud servers
No. No it was not. The only information we got was shipments for a single month. April 2022. Some sites incorrectly reported the 75/25 split as lifetime.

IGN for example updated their article.

"It's worth pointing out that while we don't know exactly what period these documents refer to (April 2022 sales alone, quarter to date, or year to date), they're emblematic of a greater trend. Both Mat Piscatella of Circana and Daniel Ahmad of Niko Partners told IGN their firms estimate the current split between Xbox Series X and S is closer to 50/50, with the S having a slight lead over the X."

So Circana(NPD) is saying it's around 50/50 as of September 2023. Daniel Ahmad is saying 50/50 and Famitsu estimates in Japan put it at 44/56 in favour of series S in that country.

70%, which means Series S has sold over double the Series X is not a remote reality.

Last edited:

Taur007

Tried to tell people Forza wasn't going to move the needle because people already had access to Forza Horizon. People might play this on GamePass, but they weren't going to buy it.

The Xbox isn't pushing enough units where it can sustain a large demand for a game like Forza when there are so many other racing titles out there.

Again, the model is broken. You can't do GamePass or Day 1 on PC (plus GamePass on PC), you can't do both.
But you have to factor in GP, this is the first Motorsport to ever launch in GP, a lot of people who bought 7 did not have to "buy" this one + more users own the digital console this time around, idk I'll need to see digital sales and concurrent xbox player count (not steam) before i call it a total flop even though we'll probably never see that info considering it's MS

Top Bottom