• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2010 (Dec 20 - Dec 26)

Laguna

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
Isn't it a hugely optimistic assumption that going multiplatform would increase sales of the series overall? All they could end up doing is splitting the userbase across 2 platforms without making any significant gains overall in total sales.

You have a point here but until now the series was only popular in Japan on PSP (with MHwii beeing the most successful one over here) and while the fanbase would be more or less splitted between 2 plattforms in Japan (it would still have the possibility to reach a bigger and new audience in Japan) Capcom probably is still looking to expand MH success into the West, where a 3DS version if co-marketed by Nintendo would help.

Sadist

Chris1964 said:
It could, but he mentioned 3DS and there are already many meltdowns at Japanese blogs.
Oh dear

Yoshi said:
Dragon Quest isn't confirmed for 3DS, or am I missing anything? It could very well be Mario + Pokémon on the one, DQ+MH on the other handheld.
Dragon Quest franchise has been confirmed since E3.

I think they're going to do a triple format release for Monster Hunter. PSP and 3DS will share an indentical version, while PSP2 will get an improved version.

Takao said:
If Capcom wants the franchise to remain prevalent on consoles, what do you think is better for the future, the one with hardware similar to the Wii, or PS3?

I have a few problems with this statement.

Firstly i think capcoms priority is with the handheld version. The portable version of MH is the one breaking all the records and that should be their priority. I doubt capcom put much consideration into the console versions when deciding the future of the handheld version. I think it would be incredibly dumb to in anyway risk the future success of portable MH to suit the console MH.

Secondly since you seem to know, how powerful are the 3DS and PSP2? My guess is that when all is said and done there is nowhere near as big a gap as you are implying.

I also think that if capcom wants MH to become prevalent on home consoles they need to make a version ground up for the home consoles. Even then i doubt it will ever see anywhere near the same success as MH on handhelds.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lagspike raises an interesting point.

The 3DS and PSP2 are control set compatible, and due to the heterogeneous screensize, 3DS games are largely forced to one screen.

Given that the 3DS can reasonably mimic HD titles, it's quite likely that its games would look fine on the PSP2. Titles like Sengoku Basara 3 and Tales of Graces F have shown that the Japanese core market is surprisingly fine with Wii ports on the much more powerful PS3 as well.

I wonder if we will see a shift to multiplatform handheld games this generation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AdventureRacing said:
Secondly since you seem to know, how powerful are the 3DS and PSP2? My guess is that when all is said and done there is nowhere near as big a gap as you are implying.

If we were to go along with bog standard rumours, there may be a significant gap in the game space complexity each system can support. Perhaps not so big a gap on the rendering side - though this is hard to judge right now - but something not a million miles off an order of magnitude of difference in other processing capability (CPU+RAM) is certainly possible. For example a 1Ghz Tegra 2 with 512MB of RAM would offer about 8x the paper CPU performance and around 8x the RAM of 3DS spec IGN leaked. Those would be substantial gaps in capability.

Who knows though, maybe PSP2 won't go that far. Maybe it'll go further. We don't know, but my point is that it is certainly not a stretch of the imagination to come to specifications that would quite readily afford games on that system that simply would not be possible on 3DS. However, I'm not sure Capcom's desire to advance the gamespace's technical complexity with a new MH would outweigh their desires elsewhere to bring the game to 3DS. In fact, I'm pretty sure it would not.

cvxfreak

AdventureRacing said:
Firstly i think capcoms priority is with the handheld version. The portable version of MH is the one breaking all the records and that should be their priority. I doubt capcom put much consideration into the console versions when deciding the future of the handheld version.

Isn't this why Capcom moved Monster Hunter 3 to Wii, so that a port to the PSP could be easily facilitated? If Monster Hunter 3 ended up as a PS3 game, then it probably would have been released later than August 2009 (Biohazard 5 took 4+ years) and we probably wouldn't have Portable 3rd yet either.

Laguna

Banned
gofreak said:
If we were to go along with bog standard rumours, there may be a significant gap in the game space complexity each system can support. Perhaps not so big a gap on the rendering side - though this is hard to judge right now - but something not a million miles off an order of magnitude of difference in other processing capability (CPU+RAM) is certainly possible. For example a 1Ghz Tegra 2 with 512MB of RAM would offer about 8x the paper CPU performance and around 8x the RAM of 3DS spec IGN leaked. Those would be substantial gaps in capability.

Who knows though, maybe PSP2 won't go that far. Maybe it'll go further. We don't know, but my point is that it is certainly not a stretch of the imagination to come to specifications that would quite readily afford games on that system that simply would not be possible on 3DS. However, I'm not sure Capcom's desire to advance the gamespace's technical complexity with a new MH would outweigh their desires elsewhere to bring the game to 3DS. In fact, I'm pretty sure it would not.

That would be nice and all but I doubt that a lot 3rd parties will budget their PSP2 original games as much as PS3/X360 games and I guess that the tech at best will be used for easier downports of console games and create a similar situation to PSPs first 2-3 years and game sales will suffer for the same reason as many PS2 to PSP games did.

And again DS-PSP (and the handheld popularity in general) shows that even a big difference in grafics isn´t that important in Japan, most gamers actually care more about available games/franchises. So I suppose that more people are interested in what games and franchises actually will be available than having the better looking version of a multiplattform game that is also available for a system with the most popular ones (PS2-GC/Xbox situation).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Laguna said:
That would be nice and all but I doubt that a lot 3rd parties will budget their PSP2 original games as much as PS3/X360 games

I wasn't suggesting that. Indeed, I said that I thought it highly improbable that in this case, for example, that Capcom would make their game in a way that required PSP2's capacity (at commensurately higher dev cost).

That said, since you raise the point, I don't think original PSP2 games crafted to take advantage of its power would necessarily require PS3/360-level budgets. I think that's overstating things. Afterall, something x times more powerful than 3DS is still going to be x times less powerful than PS3/360, and as always there's a range of possible budgets depending on the complexity of a developer's vision that can make use of a given system's power.

Re. ports, we'll have to wait and see what happens there. I think no matter where Sony pegged PSP2 from a power point of view, at least if they did so in a reasonable range, devs would take to porting to it from one or other set of home systems. It's happening with 3DS too, and though the systems being ported from in that case are last-gen home systems, the ports won't necessarily always be 'worthy' on all fronts. If PSP2 is within a worthwhile porting range of the same systems as 3DS, and perhaps beyond for some classes of game, I don't know if that's a negative in and of itself. Like I said in the other thread, only if it became the predominant source of games on the system.

Laguna

Banned
gofreak said:
I wasn't suggesting that. Indeed, I said that I thought it highly improbable that in this case, for example, that Capcom would make their game in a way that required PSP2's capacity (at commensurately higher dev cost).

That said, since you raise the point, I don't think original PSP2 games crafted to take advantage of its power would necessarily require PS3/360-level budgets. I think that's overstating things. Afterall, something x times more powerful than 3DS is still going to be x times less powerful than PS3/360, and as always there's a range of possible budgets depending on the complexity of a developer's vision that can make use of a given system's power.

I doubt a powerful system is enough to make great looking games. Don´t know how they should make original games that look a lot better than Revelation without a decent budget.

Re. ports, we'll have to wait and see what happens there. I think no matter where Sony pegged PSP2 from a power point of view, at least if they did so in a reasonable range, devs would take to porting to it from one or other set of home systems. It's happening with 3DS too, and though the systems being ported from in that case are last-gen home systems, the ports won't necessarily always be 'worthy' on all fronts. If PSP2 is within a worthwhile porting range of the same systems as 3DS, and perhaps beyond for some classes of game, I don't know if that's a negative in and of itself. Like I said in the other thread, only if it became the predominant source of games on the system.

PSP got released 2004 even before X360 and got its fair share of "current gen ports". Let´s say PSP2 will be released fall2011 or 2012 and gets its fair share of todays "current gen ports" before 2012/2013 next gen consoles get released. I honestly don´t see such a big difference. it would be rather similar situation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Takao said:
If Capcom wants the franchise to remain prevalent on consoles, what do you think is better for the future, the one with hardware similar to the Wii, or PS3?
In terms of toolsets and engines, the 3DS is actually more similar to the PS3 than the Wii due to its fixed function pipelines that try to emulate OpenGL 2.0 functionality.

However, due to this, it also makes porting to other handhelds a lot easier as well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Laguna said:
I doubt a powerful system is enough to make great looking games. Don´t know how they should make original games that look a lot better than Revelation without a decent budget.

Decent budget needn't be a PS3/360 budget though. That's my point. Lumping PSP2 into PS3/360-level budgets might be a slight over-estimation of PSP2's capacity.

You raise an interesting point though with Revelations and in general the other Capcom games. Capcom's clearly keen to harmonise handheld development with their existing work flow and tools on home systems, to bring them closer, and that makes sense. I doubt they're the only pub, and if that can be done it may lead to higher quality bespoke handheld development vs the prior situation where handheld development was out and off on its own, and required very specific work with other deprecated tools or ground-up tools.

They're also games, though, that technically are going to be 'cut down' vs home iterations of those franchises. That doesn't mean they'll be bad games, but I've seen lots of people complain about 'watered down' versions of home console games and franchises on handheld systems. If both systems are going to be plugging into home console development and receiving technically lesser spin-offs of types of games and franchises on home consoles, I don't know if PSP2 is in a worse situation if it's going to be less technically inferior to that home console baseline. And tbh, I think the reception of those Capcom games (and - shock - some of those PSP games!) shows there can be an audience and excitement around handheld, 'technically lesser', spinoffs of home console games - it may not be a huge audience, but it is there. They key is that they have to be good games in their own right though, and deal with the context and any limitations of the context sensitively.

Laguna said:
PSP got released 2004 even before X360 and got its fair share of "current gen ports". Let´s say PSP2 will be released fall2011 or 2012 and gets its fair share of todays "current gen ports" before 2012/2013 next gen consoles get released. I honestly don´t see such a big difference. it would be rather similar situation.

My point is that beyond a certain point, no matter what PSP2 is, it's going to have some home ports. It's not really a PSP specific problem either. So I'm not going to criticise Sony for packing more power into PSP2 because of this risk, because it's practically unavoidable anyway. But it doesn't have to be a bad thing - as long as there's plenty of handheld-specific content. Then it can be an enhancement rather than the main act. And I think PSP2 will have plenty of handheld-specific content. The fact that 3DS is of a certain level of power may in fact help with that - devs can hopefully build good bespoke handheld games now knowing they can target two systems. PSP was kind of on its own, whereas PSP2 may be able to tap a larger shared pool of (hopefully good) content that people aren't comparing directly to what they can get at home.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PSP sold out at Yodobashi

wrz8tw.jpg

http://yfrog.com/h3srolj

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Laguna said:
So I suppose that more people are interested in what games and franchises actually will be available than having the better looking version of a multiplattform game that is also available for a system with the most popular ones (PS2-GC/Xbox situation).
So it makes more sense to have a weaker handheld to avoid being the portbox :p

Chris1964 said:
I'm sure PSP Go sells the remaining stock. Ahahaha
I picked up one of those. But if I knew Jpn retailers do deals on 1st and not on post-Christmas I'd have extended my stay in Japan for a few days and picked up the Go then :/

test_account

XP-39C²
mehdi_san said:
PSP and PSP go was sold out in every store I went to today and yesterday.
If this is a situation that is widespread over Japan, i guess that the DS have a big chance to outsell the PSP this week by 27k.

Chris1964 said:
I'm sure PSP Go sells the remaining stock. Ahahaha
PSP Go was a success confirmed? 100% sell-through! :D (just kidding hehe :p)

Laguna

Banned
gofreak said:
Decent budget needn't be a PS3/360 budget though. That's my point. Lumping PSP2 into PS3/360-level budgets might be a slight over-estimation of PSP2's capacity.

You raise an interesting point though with Revelations and in general the other Capcom games. Capcom's clearly keen to harmonise handheld development with their existing work flow and tools on home systems, to bring them closer, and that makes sense. I doubt they're the only pub, and if that can be done it may lead to higher quality bespoke handheld development vs the prior situation where handheld development was out and off on its own, and required very specific work with other deprecated tools or ground-up tools.

They're also games, though, that technically are going to be 'cut down' vs home iterations of those franchises. That doesn't mean they'll be bad games, but I've seen lots of people complain about 'watered down' versions of home console games and franchises on handheld systems. If both systems are going to be plugging into home console development and receiving technically lesser spin-offs of types of games and franchises on home consoles, I don't know if PSP2 is in a worse situation if it's going to be less technically inferior to that home console baseline. And tbh, I think the reception of those Capcom games (and - shock - some of those PSP games!) shows there can be an audience and excitement around handheld, 'technically lesser', spinoffs of home console games - it may not be a huge audience, but it is there. They key is that they have to be good games in their own right though, and deal with the context and any limitations of the context sensitively.

My point is that beyond a certain point, no matter what PSP2 is, it's going to have some home ports. It's not really a PSP specific problem either. So I'm not going to criticise Sony for packing more power into PSP2 because of this risk, because it's practically unavoidable anyway. But it doesn't have to be a bad thing - as long as there's plenty of handheld-specific content. Then it can be an enhancement rather than the main act. And I think PSP2 will have plenty of handheld-specific content. The fact that 3DS is of a certain level of power may in fact help with that - devs can hopefully build good bespoke handheld games now knowing they can target two systems. PSP was kind of on its own, whereas PSP2 may be able to tap a larger shared pool of (hopefully good) content that people aren't comparing directly to what they can get at home.

I don´t have anything against ports in general but it´s hard to understand why someone whom grafics and presentation are important would prefer a hypotheticaly better looking PSP2 to a 3DS version but wouldn´t prefer an obviously better looking version on consoles and play it on a big TV with 5.1 sound that is hugely more apt for cinematic-esque presentation and where he can satisfy his needs. I don´t think to buy the game twice isn´t a popular solution to most. The same but to a lesser extent with spinoffs that have a lot of reused assets.

Fafalada said:
So it makes more sense to have a weaker handheld to avoid being the portbox :p

That´s not what I said. I wrote that looking at PS2 as an example, people prefered the console with the most popular franchises and in the end the fact that multiplatform games looked better on other consoles than on PS2 wasn´t as important as having the majority of the popular ones.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Laguna said:
I don´t have anything against ports in general but it´s hard to understand why someone whom grafics and presentation are important would prefer a hypotheticaly better looking PSP2 to a 3DS version but wouldn´t prefer an obviously better looking version on consoles and play it on a big TV with 5.1 sound that is hugely more apt for cinematic-esque presentation and where he can satisfy his needs. I don´t think to buy the game twice isn´t a popular solution to most. The same but to a lesser extent with spinoffs that have a lot of reused assets.

That is an issue, for people who don't need portability. For people who actually do - who don't own or have access to a home system as frequently as they would like, the original source of content may be immaterial, and they may just want the best handheld version they can get.

My over-arching point here is that no matter how much power Sony put into PSP2 - if they went with something 3DS level or something well beyond - home console ports, spinoffs and other assorted crumbs from the home console table would happen. Sony and Ubisoft and EA etc. etc. would still make LittleBigPlanets and God of Wars and Assassin Creeds and Maddens and Fifas.

That being the case, IMO, the more power and fewer control compromises Sony can put in PSP2, the better these games can be, all else being equal.

In terms of the argument about the cost of bespoke game development - on the flipside it is arguable that Sony cannot afford NOT to make their system powerful enough to support the same infrastructure devs use for home console development, which has come to define the 'infrastructure' devs use, for want of a better word.

It would be extraordinarily dumb for Sony to make a system that was so out of kilter power wise that it required devs to either build a new dev-chain from scratch for it or procure and stitch together new components off the shelf that they're unfamiliar with (this process itself is lengthy and incurs cost and ongoing maintenance hassle).

If Sony is going for 'you can target our handheld platform like a PS3', then this may well be an approach informed by developer and publisher feedback on how to fit quality handheld development into the picture in a more cost effective way.

I also think a handheld platform could benefit from a whole class of short-form home console content if it's just an easy port away, a class of content that wasn't there in the PS2/PSP days - PSN and XBLA stuff. Like, take a game like Costume Quest - is it a negative if they can easily add PSP2 to their lineup for a game like that? Games like that tend to be relatively quick and cost conscious turnarounds. If a handheld doesn't fit easily, it's not going to happen, so the closer it can be from a developer POV and the less need for target-specific processor or memory optimisation, the better. Sure, this isn't handheld specific content, but at least it needn't potentially be so watered down anymore, for games like that the handheld version might possibly be more first-class.

In terms of handheld specific content, I also think there's advantages to Sony going for more power. A more powerful PSP2 can obviously pool with 3DS for PSP2/3DS targetted game development, which though not PSP2 exclusive, would be handheld specific. But more distinctly vs 3DS, it's possible PSP2 could dovetail much more conveniently with another big portable platform - iOS. If pubs actually do, per Mark Rein's comments, want to increasingly leverage UE3 and other home console tools on iOS efforts, another whole class of handheld-specific content might be unlocked via another pooled market of iOS and PSP2 that 3DS - according to latest comments anyway - would be an oddman out from. And the more powerful Sony makes PSP2, the longer it would be able to remain a good partner target for higher end iOS content as Apple continues to improve iPhone hardware over the next few years. The concretise, if PSP2's 'power' means it can overlap with another vector of handheld development effort and get content like Epic Citadel, that looks plays better on their system than anywhere else, then that's a plus. More generally, PSP2, by virtue of its power class, could cover many more developer approaches than its competitors, and give it uniquely broad access to content, both handheld specific and others. It may not simply be an argument of 'somewhat better looking multiplats vs their 3DS counterparts + Sony first party' depending on how development trends evolve.

I see lots of potential upside to more power, within the constraint of reasonable power and price tradeoff of course. Weighing up the argument about home console ports, in light of what difference alternative routes would make (i.e. very little, but perhaps very big differences elsewhere), I don't think it's a good reason for Sony to be wary of the 'more power' approach.

(Err...sorry for length...)

Chris1964 said:
PSP sold out at Yodobashi
If the barebones are sold out, I wonder how hard you have to look for a MH edition. I was wondering why were the normal PSPs getting into amazon top25 though, guess this is the answer. Btw, MH edition on amazon goes for 28500Y new from resellers, 27800Y used (its price is/was 19800Y).

So mishandled holidays for Sony, really awful how they run it, facepalm total, the system people don't want to buy gets zero push, your supposedly biggest gun (now 2nd after mingol) gets fricking thrown like shit to a slippery wall, and for once in a few years a really hot system they have with a hot software piece gets undershipped big time with a clever revision being totally unexploited. Good thing is its hard to handle it worse, but I bet they are up to the challenge next Nintendo-branded holidays!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gamesmaya also reports PSP shortage at his store for new year's shopping and that this situation is likely to take another month until it's eliminated.

Spiegel

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
If the barebones are sold out, I wonder how hard you have to look for a MH edition. I was wondering why were the normal PSPs getting into amazon top25 though, guess this is the answer. Btw, MH edition on amazon goes for 28500Y new from resellers, 27800Y used (its price is/was 19800Y).

So mishandled holidays for Sony, really awful how they run it, facepalm total, the system people don't want to buy gets zero push, your supposedly biggest gun (now 2nd after mingol) gets fricking thrown like shit to a slippery wall, and for once in a few years a really hot system they have with a hot software piece gets undershipped big time with a clever revision being totally unexploited. Good thing is its hard to handle it worse, but I bet they are up to the challenge next Nintendo-branded holidays!

Chris1964 said:
gamesmaya also reports PSP shortage at his store for new year's shopping and that this situation is likely to take another month until it's eliminated.

mAnix.gif

SCEJ is worthless.

cvxfreak

The question now re: DS vs. PSP is whether the PSP sold a ton throughout the week before becoming out of stock by the weekend, or if stock was already low in the previous week.

If it's the latter, PSP definitely wins the YTD battle. If it's the former, then SCEJfacepalm.gif.

antonz

That would be a facepalm of proportions we havent seen before if shortages lead to them losing the PR victory of #1 for the year. Its nothing more than PR battle but I cant see how the PSP could possibly have gone understocked. Have they cut production of units that much?

cvxfreak

Well, there's no reason for SCEJ to fret. Why try to beat the DS when Nintendo can let that happen for them? :lol

There's a good chance the PSP outsells the DS in 2011... but we all know why.

antonz said:
That would be a facepalm of proportions we havent seen before if shortages lead to them losing the PR victory of #1 for the year. Its nothing more than PR battle but I cant see how the PSP could possibly have gone understocked. Have they cut production of units that much?

Give sony a little bit of a break.

I think very few people thought PSP would sell THIS well

Sure they knew it was going to be a killing -sony upped production by making 300,000 units of the MHP PSP. Retailers were talking about thinking thier stock was going to last till march, etc, MHP3 and PSP have just performed beyond everybody's exceptions(basically at the expense of many other things performing below expection)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
FINALFANTASYDOG said:

I think very few people though PSP would sell THIS well

Sure they knew it was going to be a killing -sony upped production by making 300,000 units of the MHP PSP. Retailers were talking about thinking thier stock was going to last till march, etc, MHP3 and PSP have just performed beyond everybody's exceptions(basically at the expense of many other things performing below expection)

True but its not like PSP sells that much in teh west - so having enough in Japan where the plattform is actually selling and mhp 3 is launchin should have been priority no1...

onken

PSP has been sold out around here for over a week now except for Pearl White which nobody wants apparently. Even the Black PSP Go is getting hard to find.

Road

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

I think very few people thought PSP would sell THIS well

The game has already passed Capcom's sales forecasts in a month.

I don't think we need more proof that MHP3rd performance has caught everyone by surprise.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sacha said:
A bit of a random question, but does anyone have LTD sales for Tactics Ogre (PSP)?
Famitsu
{2010.11.08 - 2010.11.28} 0040. [PSP] Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Square Enix) {2010.11.11} - 181.942 / 236.855

Media Create
{2010.11.08 - 2010.11.28} 0041. [PSP] Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Square Enix) {2010.11.11} - 176.153 / 230.296

Spiegel

Did S-E show the new PSP Dissidia bundle or announce if it includes the PSP-3000?

I'm thinking that maybe SCEJ will try to steal hype from the 3DS launch and do a wide release of the new MHPSP around February, removing all MH branding of course and maybe giving it a price drop too. That's why there are shortages right now and gamesmaya is reporting that it'll take a month for the situation to normalize. Maybe Sony thought they would have enough inventory until the release of the new model and these big hardware sales in December caught them by surprise.

If PSP2 is not being released until late this year it makes too much sense to do a wide release of that new PSP model like Kurosaki has said many times and doing it a bit before the 3DS launch would be the best time to do it.

Yeah, I'm probably giving SCEJ too much credit and they are simply shortages caused by the huge MHP3 sales.

Lagspike_exe said:
I think they're going to do a triple format release for Monster Hunter. PSP and 3DS will share an indentical version, while PSP2 will get an improved version.
It would be super amusing if Capcom put out regular Monster Hunter on PSP2, and Poka Poka Airu sequels on the 3DS--hey, it's the kiddie version, right?

Spiegel said:
Did S-E show the new PSP Dissidia bundle or announce if it includes the PSP-3000?

I'm thinking that maybe SCEJ will try to steal hype from the 3DS launch and do a wide release of the new MHPSP around February, removing all MH branding of course and maybe giving it a price drop too. That's why there are shortages right now and gamesmaya is reporting that it'll take a month for the situation to normalize. Maybe Sony thought they would have enough inventory until the release of the new model and these big hardware sales in December caught them by surprise.

If PSP2 is not being released until late this year it makes too much sense to do a wide release of that new PSP model like Kurosaki has said many times and doing it a bit before the 3DS launch would be the best time to do it.

Yeah, I'm probably giving SCEJ too much credit and they are simply shortages caused by the huge MHP3 sales.
Thought I mentioned it but can't find it so guess I dreamed it...anyway yeah its hasn't been shown yet but the MH edition was labeled a 3000 series so its unlikely they'll turn it now into a proper revision. Also, its a kinda gamer edition, as in a bit bulkier and such, it isn't meant to replace the slim 3000, so these shortages are just totally stupid handling from Sony.

Sacha

Chris1964 said:
Famitsu
{2010.11.08 - 2010.11.28} 0040. [PSP] Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Square Enix) {2010.11.11} - 181.942 / 236.855

Media Create
{2010.11.08 - 2010.11.28} 0041. [PSP] Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Square Enix) {2010.11.11} - 176.153 / 230.296

Thank you, my good sir!

Famitsu data for the year 2010

Period: 12/28/2009 - 12/26/2010

Japanese Market:
Hardware: 175.590.000.000 ¥ (1.997.000.000 $)
Software: 318.080.000.000 ¥ (3.617.000.000 $)
Total: 493.660.000.000 ¥ (5.613.000.000 $)

Top Hardware:
NDS: 2.963.709 / 32.124.298
PSP: 2.894.760 / 16.276.931
WII: 1.728.293 / 11.230.292
PS3: 1.558.480 / 5.949.887
X360: 208.790 / 1.406.663

Software Top10:
01.) [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) - 4.914.813 / NEW
02.) [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) - 3.480.989 / NEW
03.) [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 1.599.845 / 4.084.995
04.) [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) - 1.539.228 / NEW
05.) [NDS] Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reviere (Square Enix) - 1.297.344 / NEW
06.) [NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (Square Enix) - 1.276.303 / NEW
07.) [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 1.196.148 / 3.508.096
08.) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) - 900.539 / NEW
09.) [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! Spark / Bomber (Level 5) - 890.440 / NEW
10.) [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 849.664 / 2.148.197

Cipherr

Captain Smoker said:
Software Top10:
01.) [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) - 4.813.491 / NEW
09.) [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! Spark / Bomber (Level 5) - 890.440 / NEW

Yea.......Sony will do everything to keep that franchise PSP2 exclusive in the next gen of handhelds. Only way I see MH portable games going 3ds/PSP2 is if capcom decided they wanted to test the water and see if they could sell more.

Grimmy

Banned
People, this is the Famitsu tracker. Note the dates. We knew long ago that the DS edged out the PSP on the Famitsu tracker.

The tracker you're eagerly awaiting is the Media Create one.

Celine

Captain Smoker said:
Software Top10:
01.) [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) - 4.813.491 / NEW
NintenDragonHunter domination.

EDIT:
Ops forgot Inazuma :lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Cipherr said:
Yea.......Sony will do everything to keep that franchise PSP2 exclusive in the next gen of handhelds. Only way I see MH portable games going 3ds/PSP2 is if capcom decided they wanted to test the water and see if they could sell more.

and you dont think nintendo would be interested in securing the strongest 3rd party ip portables for their system ? Sony would have to pay way to much to keep it exclusive.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
More than Nintendo and Monster Hunter domination, Level 5's rise throughout the last four years or so should be commended.

duckroll

MHP is big enough that neither Nintendo nor Sony can do very much to "secure" the series in any way. I find it laughable that anyone would believe that at this point Capcom would actually reduce the amount of sales they can get for the series for some silly moneyhat. MHP will be on any portable system in Japan which has a decent installed base, and can support 3D graphics of the level required for the title. The only reason MHP was never on the DS is because the hardware is simply not suitable for games of this sort.

[Nintex]

Cipherr said:
Only way I see MH portable games going 3ds/PSP2 is if capcom decided they wanted to test the water and see if they could sell more.
Wasn't that pretty much the goal of their CEO for 2011?

Celine

Regulus Tera said:
More than Nintendo and Monster Hunter domination, Level 5's rise throughout the last four years or so should be commended.
Level 5 was already apparent in the recent past ( I think Inazuma 2 was the definitive prove, waiting how Inazuma 1 will do in Europe ).

The question now is what will they do to keep and expand the achieved success.

Road

Captain Smoker said:
Famitsu data for the year 2010

Period: 12/28/2009 - 12/26/2010

Japanese Market:
Hardware: 175.590.000.000 ¥ (1.997.000.000 $)
Software: 318.080.000.000 ¥ (3.617.000.000 $)
Total: 493.660.000.000 ¥ (5.613.000.000 $)
Still down 9% in value, but the strong Yen puts it significantly higher than the UK with £2.875 billion = ¥367.65 billion.

And in terms of software units, the UK sold through 63 million units in 2010 and by Media Create's accounts Japan is going to sell a little over that.

Top Bottom