• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 52+53 (Dec 18 - Dec 31)

Famitsu Sales: Week 52+53, 2023 (Dec 18 - Dec 31)​

Software​

1st Switch Super Mario Bros. Wonder
221,738 (total 1,549,401) / Nintendo / October 20, 2023

2nd Switch Momotaro Dentetsu World Electric Railway ~The earth revolves around hope! ~
192,620 (total 795,681) / KONAMI / November 16, 2023

3rd Switch Pikmin 4
78,589 (total 1,119,027) / Nintendo / July 21, 2023

4th Switch Dragon Quest Monsters 3 Journey of the Demon Prince and the Elf
77,035 (total 510,477) / Square Enix / December 1, 2023

5th PS5 Marvel's Spider-Man 2
53,238 (total 166,731) / Sony Interactive Entertainment / October 20, 2023

6th Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
46,452 (total 5,631,598) / Nintendo / April 28, 2017

7th Switch Minecraft
38,472 (total 3,394,222) / Microsoft Japan / June 21, 2018

8th Switch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
38,005 (total 5,400,275) / Nintendo / December 7, 2018

9th Switch Wario Ware: Move It!
37,147 (total 141,554) / Nintendo / November 3, 2023

10th Switch Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
35,679 (total 5,246,363) / Pokemon / November 18, 2022

Hardware​

• Switch - 29,391 (total 19,684,424)
  • Switch Lite - 31,547 (total 5,674,074)
  • Switch Oled - 107,928 (total 6,428,158)
  • PS5 - 72,207 (total 4,298,170)
  • PS5 Digital Edition - 9,736 (total 666,687)
  • Xbox Series X - 554 (total 244,984)
  • Xbox Series S - 605 (total 295,123)
  • PS4 - 1,119 (total 7,915,336)
  • New Nintendo 2DS LL - 34 (total 1,192,744)

Combined Hardware​

• Switch Family- 168,866 (total 31,786,656)
  • PS5 + PS5 DE - 81,943 (total 4,964,857)
  • Xbox Series X+S - 1,159 (total 540,107)
  • PS4 + PS4 Pro - 1,119 (9,491,059)
  • 3DS Family - 34 (24,600,930)

2023 Total​

• Switch Family- 4,062,609
  • PS5 + PS5 DE - 2,587,468
  • Xbox Series X+S - 141,712
  • PS4 + PS4 Pro - 73,292
  • 3DS Family - 3,033

Last edited:

jm89

Japanese retailers are gonna have to be bribed to sell Xbox consoles in the future.

Awful hardware sales and non existent software sales can't be worth the shelf/warehouse space.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Switch reigning supreme as it deserves but everything seems low for this being 2 highly valuable weeks of data, or was there a huge holiday gifting spree bump in previous weeks that I missed? I know they'll still sell good afterwards with people spending the money gifts they received etc, but still.

Mr Moose

• Xbox Series X+S - 1,159
  • PS4 - 1,119
Xbox Japan:
56f.png

It has been the best year for the PS brand in Japan for 20 years with PS2 but for some reason it seems that it is bad... xDD, why say anything about Xbox... as if it did not exist in that market.

Robb

Gold Member
It's not close when you consolidate DS with Wii sales. That's pretty much what Switch did. If anything, this shows how much the market shrunk.
I’m not sure I agree that comparison is ever relevant. And even if it is, the Wii/DS generation would be the only one that the Switch has not beaten, and that’s as a single system. So it’s still very impressive.

And either way they’ve still managed to make more money with the Switch than they did during the Wii/DS generation.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I’m not sure I agree that comparison is ever relevant. And even if it is, the Wii/DS generation would be the only one that the Switch has not beaten, and that’s as a single system. So it’s still very impressive.

And either way they’ve still managed to make more money with the Switch than they did during the Wii/DS generation.
Switch is enormously successful. I just think DS sales look way more impressive given that Switch is the only release.

Woopah

Great software sales for both first and third parties is good to see, but hardware is very poor. Switch has definitely hit its saturation point and Sony killed their momentum with the price rise.

It's going to mostly be a slow year until Switch 2 comes out.

Yeah, we should be seeing a PS5 price cut this year.
They just raised it in November. No price cuts for a while I don't think.
Hum...why? PS5 is selling faster than both the PS3 and PS4 in japan launch aligned In a country that doesn't care about home consoles anymore.
They clearly care about home consoles too given how PS5 did earlier in the year. It just needs to be the right price.
Switch reigning supreme as it deserves but everything seems low for this being 2 highly valuable weeks of data, or was there a huge holiday gifting spree bump in previous weeks that I missed? I know they'll still sell good afterwards with people spending the money gifts they received etc, but still.
Hardware wise yes, the sales are very low.
It's not close when you consolidate DS with Wii sales. That's pretty much what Switch did. If anything, this shows how much the market shrunk.

That only works if you consider the overlap between Wii and DS to be 0.

John Wick

Nintendo season in Japan is no joke, Switch selling almost ~170K in their 7 year is insane, PS5 82K is not good at all… And what is an Xbox?
PS5 selling 82K isn't good at all? Your crazy. Home consoles have been on the decline for years. The fact PS5 has sold more than PS3 and PS4 launches aligned is impressive. Especially considering PS5 is more expensive than PS4 and way more than Switch.

Mr Moose

PS5 selling 82K isn't good at all? Your crazy. Home consoles have been on the decline for years. The fact PS5 has sold more than PS3 and PS4 launches aligned is impressive. Especially considering PS5 is more expensive than PS4 and way more than Switch.
Yup, PS5 did fine. How are the Switch sales good but PS5 not?
v1UZtpU.png

Two weeks of sales, so if anything it's Switch that should've been a bit higher (x2 of week 51).

Chastten

Banned
I always think the notion that you need to compare the Switch with both console+handheld of previous generations is very weird. I mean, sure, purely looking at hardware numbers Nintendo might've taken a little hit, but it's the software numbers that counts the most. And while the DS and Wii were very impressive, neither had all that great software sales. Switch is blowing both out of the water when it comes to games and peripheral sales.

I mean, it's the same as saying PS4 or PS5 sales aren't impressive because they're not selling as much as the PS2/PSP combo did.

Baki

Who do I believe...

PS5 supply still seems to be a problem.

The year as a whole sales have been phenomenal for PlayStation. These two weeks in particular aren't good though.

This is also my take on this.

Great software sales for both first and third parties is good to see, but hardware is very poor. Switch has definitely hit its saturation point and Sony killed their momentum with the price rise.

It's going to mostly be a slow year until Switch 2 comes out.

They clearly care about home consoles too given how PS5 did earlier in the year. It just needs to be the right price.

Hardware wise yes, the sales are very low.

That only works if you consider the overlap between Wii and DS to be 0.

PS5 had amazing calendar year sales but disappointing holiday sales. For comparison, they sold about 130K PS5 during the same 2 week period last year.

PS5 problem is that they hiked the price again in November in Japan. The PS5 digital has seen a 50% price increase since launch! The Disc edition has had a 30% price increase. The reason for these price hikes is that the yen has basically collapsed in value against the USD ($). Almost 35% decline in 24 months. A lot of PS5 components are from suppliers that take $ and so Sony had no choice but to raise the price. Combine that with a limited library that appeals to Japanese audience and you can begin to see why sales will likely slow down this year now that the PS5 is beyond the 5M mark of enthusiast buyers. If the yen improves, and sales remain sluggish, I can see Sony cutting the price this year in Japan.

PS5 had amazing calendar year sales but disappointing holiday sales. For comparison, they sold about 130K PS5 during the same 2 week period last year.

PS5 problem is that they hiked the price again in November in Japan. The PS5 digital has seen a 50% price increase since launch! The Disc edition has had a 30% price increase. The reason for these price hikes is that the yen has basically collapsed in value against the USD ($). Almost 35% decline in 24 months. A lot of PS5 components are from suppliers that take $ and so Sony had no choice but to raise the price. Combine that with a limited library that appeals to Japanese audience and you can begin to see why sales will likely slow down this year now that the PS5 is beyond the 5M mark of enthusiast buyers. If the yen improves, and sales remain sluggish, I can see Sony cutting the price this year in Japan.
Indeed. For instance on amazon.co.jp PS5 is usually twice more expensive than Switch as it's mostly available via resellers only. Considering the price it's amazing how well it sells. Most of the last months PS5 actually outsold Switch by revenue.

Ozzie666

I keep wondering who is buying all this Switch hardware in Japan, not knowing their population is over 125 million. There is still some blood to squeeze. Absolute monster.

Nintendo being at the top and going head to head against (in their own way) Sony and Microsoft, is good for gaming. At times it makes people look stupid.

Woopah

Precisely.

The PS5 basically got 0 holiday boost. We'll have to see if it's busy Q1 can maintain its hardware sales.

Woopah

nial nial , as per our previous discussion, the PS5 needed to start getting a holiday boost to hit 5 million in 2023. But it looks like the boost never happened.

nial

Gold Member
nial nial , as per our previous discussion, the PS5 needed to start getting a holiday boost to hit 5 million in 2023. But it looks like the boost never happened.
It ended up at like 4980K, right? Sorry, I haven't kept up well with these three weeks worth of data. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
SIE is taking notes from Nintendo in less price cuts, max profits, but as you pointed out a bit ago, it's kind of affecting its sales going forward, much evidenced by the fairly disappointing holiday performance, especially with no major games in these last two months.
Q1 2024 is full of promising titles, but I do worry with it being a little too much and the rest of the year being kinda sparse, as far as stuff relevant to the Japanese PS audience goes.
Yes, but it should be happening when the PS5 Pro gets announced, based on past history.

nial

Gold Member
Hum...why? PS5 is selling faster than both the PS3 and PS4 in japan launch aligned In a country that doesn't care about home consoles anymore.
Pretty much for the reasons that have already been pointed out. Don't get me wrong, it's been a great year when it comes to HW sales, but this particular season was not good.

Top Bottom