• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoggy

Okay, people I hardly ever posted on GAF (lurked for years and hardly commented even when I had an account), but I was fortunate enough to make it into that timeframe where you could register for RE.

Forget Discord invites. The ONLY way to get on now is to wait for the site to re-open and to sign-up. The site had issues making an account with paid email, but it did allow me to use a gmail account earlier. That will NOT be the case going forward, but the mods are cool, so if you don't have access to a paid email, maybe ERA's support email address can help (if your begging with an email, maybe post a link to your gaf account/twitter account so they at least know who you are). Because gmail does technically work, I just don't know if they can make it a case-by-case thing, or if they'd need to alter the whole site's setting to allow one individual to use a freebie email account.

Either way, I think I'm pretty much done lurking here. RE is fantastic. New content popping up every second. And no gamergate/Alt right bullshit to deal with either. It's pretty great. Feels like home.
damn, when will it registration re-open?

Felensis

Banned
I have to admit it indeed does look fantastic. HTTPS from the get-go and even 2FA. I like the design as well even though I prefer a dark one, too, but they already announced that in their FAQs. I hope I can register soon. I won't nuke my account on GAF because IMO that's just silly, but if GAF's soul indeed lives on over there then that will become new home for sure.

I have to admit it indeed does look fantastic. HTTPS from the get-go and even 2FA. I like the design as well even though I prefer a dark one, too, but they already announced that in their FAQs. I hope I can register soon. I won't nuke my account on GAF because IMO that's just silly, but if GAF's soul indeed lives on over there then that will become new home for sure.

Hmmmm.

First of all I'm so glad GAF is back! I'm part of it for over five years now and GAF is part of me since then. There was no day without it, it's literally my one and only go to for everything gaming. Never cared for the off topic part and probably never will. There is just nothing on the internet which comes even remotely close to the awesome gaming board with all its great people and the awesome OTs they're creating.

I felt so empty when GAF disappeared realizing how tight I've integrated it into my everyday life. I just don't want to miss that.

All those militant SJWs throwing around heavy insults while begging for bans: get lost, no one will miss you here.

None of us has the right to judge over Tyler and the events surrounding him. Unless proven guilty by a court I can't see any issues. He didn't raped her ffs. He just joined her unwelcomed, got rejected and that's it. Who in earth and hell hasn't experienced similar situations?! It was just a false assumption while they were drunk and she slept with him anyways a few months after. WTF?!

All you self-righteous, self-proclaimed saints fuck off and start cleaning beginning at your own houses doormat. Just think a moment about some girl / guy accuses you more or less out of nowhere publicly and people start crucify you for just that. You guys are bonkers, that's anarchy.

If a trial decides Tyler is guilty I'll be one of the first to jump this ship, but unless this won't happen I just laugh about you guys and I'm happy the GAF community is cleaning itself.

Believe. Not only women, but men as well. Believe in truth and justice.

And now I'll finish my coffee and hop right back into my most beloved gaming discussions <3

Okay, people I hardly ever posted on GAF (lurked for years and hardly commented even when I had an account), but I was fortunate enough to make it into that timeframe where you could register for RE.

Forget Discord invites. The ONLY way to get on now is to wait for the site to re-open and to sign-up. The site had issues making an account with paid email, but it did allow me to use a gmail account earlier. That will NOT be the case going forward, but the mods are cool, so if you don't have access to a paid email, maybe ERA's support email address can help (if your begging with an email, maybe post a link to your gaf account/twitter account so they at least know who you are). Because gmail does technically work, I just don't know if they can make it a case-by-case thing, or if they'd need to alter the whole site's setting to allow one individual to use a freebie email account.

Either way, I think I'm pretty much done lurking here. RE is fantastic. New content popping up every second. And no gamergate/Alt right bullshit to deal with either. It's pretty great. Feels like home.

Hmmm, that is pretty wack if I can't use my gmail. I have been on here for an age and also want to go on there.

DeathyBoy

Banned
First of all I'm so glad GAF is back! I'm part of it for over five years now and GAF is part of me since then. There was no day without it, it's literally my one and only go to for everything gaming. Never cared for the off topic part and probably never will. There is just nothing on the internet which comes even remotely close to the awesome gaming board with all its great people and the awesome OTs they're creating.

I felt so empty when GAF disappeared realizing how tight I've integrated it into my everyday life. I just don't want to miss that.

All those militant SJWs throwing around heavy insults while begging for bans: get lost, no one will miss you here.

None of us has the right to judge over Tyler and the events surrounding him. Unless proven guilty by a court I can't see any issues. He didn't raped her ffs. He just joined her unwelcomed, got rejected and that's it. Who in earth and hell hasn't experienced similar situations?! It was just a false assumption while they were drunk and she slept with him anyways a few months after. WTF?!

All you self-righteous, self-proclaimed saints fuck off and start cleaning beginning at your own houses doormat. Just think a moment about some girl / guy accuses you more or less out of nowhere publicly and people start crucify you for just that. You guys are bonkers, that's anarchy.

If a trial decides Tyler is guilty I'll be one of the first to jump this ship, but unless this won't happen I just laugh about you guys and I'm happy the GAF community is cleaning itself.

Believe. Not only women, but men as well. Believe in truth and justice.

And now I'll finish my coffee and hop right back into my most beloved gaming discussions <3

I said I was out, then I read this.

I'm going to throw out the most sincerious thing I've ever typed online - namely that you should be ashamed of yourself, and that you need to look into a mirror and reflect on the reflection looking back at you if you think a fuckkng forum's survival means that you, like that gigantic piece of shit EvilLore, deems it okay to minimalise this entire situation in such a crass and vile way.

It's bad enough the owner of this forum is s chicken shit who waits three days to put out a statement, omits information which'd point out how he's full of shit, and comes across as bad as David Cross did with a non apology/subtle victim blaming rhetoric.

The truth is that this is just a forum. The people made it. People like Bronson and Slayven, threads like MentalHealthGaf, and in jokes and Gaf lore (said lore wasn't evil and doesn't step into showers with women unasked.)

And that's gone now. Here at least. Because our owner, whether guilty or not, has been found wanting. He handled the situation embarrassingly, and is now playing damage control by banning anyone who calls him lnhis shit.

So all some of us can do is stand in our little hill and call him on his shit. I often said to Gaffers is this really the hill they want to be banned on? Well, for me, it is.

Oh, am I breaking the fourth wall? Hey BobbyRoberts, how you doing?

And the spirit of Gaf and the good people here won't die. It'll just evolve past this board, to other boards not run by cretinous cunts.

So I say to you all, burn this forum to the ground. Go elsewhere. Add people to Facebook, Twitter, Discord whatever. Don't godown with a forum equivalent of the Titanic that'd step into the water, unasked, and sneak up behind an iceberg.

Just sad what kind of language is used to insult the people who took the first step and built a new site from the ground up. One that you now want to join.

"All those militant SJWs throwing around heavy insults while begging for bans: get lost, no one will miss you here."

"All you self-righteous, self-proclaimed saints fuck off and start cleaning beginning at your own houses doormat. Just think a moment about some girl / guy accuses you more or less out of nowhere publicly and people start crucify you for just that. You guys are bonkers, that's anarchy."

"If a trial decides Tyler is guilty I'll be one of the first to jump this ship, but unless this won't happen I just laugh about you guys and I'm happy the GAF community is cleaning itself."

Why even bother joining when you hate the community that much?

Edit: And that isn't even mentioning the reason why everyone jumped ship.

Markoman

NeoGAF Total Posts at 8:14pm - 119,688,607
NeoGAF Total Posts at 8:24pm - 119,688,646

ResetEra Total Posts at 8:14pm - 22,655
ResetEra Total Posts at 8:24pm - 24,019

NeoGAF posts during that time = 39
ResetEra posts during that time = 1364

XCqn7HL.gif

&#1073;&#1088;&#1072;&#1090;, of course new site have more post. What you think I pay Victor, Artjom, Gregori, and Boris for? Drinking Vodka all of day? Chatting with my personal assistant Olga?

Njet! My brothers have already infiltrate their cute little Mario threads. Mario? Pah, a true man play games not with fat little plumber. True Russian man plays with wild bear.

Rad-

I'd like a discord invite if it's not too much trouble, thanks.

Shame to hear the other place is difficult to join. I have over 15k GAF posts (wtf...) and would love to join other old gaffers there as well.

After taking some time to reflect, I feel compelled to post my thoughts on this situation. This is not an account suicide, nor do I think my thoughts are new to this thread. But after 10+ years here, I wanted express myself and contribute to the discussion, because historically that’s what GAF has been great for.

I first joined GAF because I noticed that most of the interesting gaming news I read online was sourced from there in one forum or another. As I’ve gotten older, Gaming-side has remained my principal link to the hobby I love so much, even as I have less and less time to actually play games. The OT also became an increasingly important factor in my life over time; there I learned how to make music, build computers, invest for retirement, discuss difficult issues with reason and empathy, and, most importantly, speak out for what I believe in. The up-to-the-minute relevance, diversity of thought, and sheer helpfulness of the community made it my singular must-visit-each-day internet site. It made me a better and more informed person, in addition to a passionate gamer.

That context is why seeing this situation handled so poorly hurts so badly. NeoGAF has had its flaws as a discussion community over the years, and in the past the team has taken steps to actively improve the quality of discussion; two examples are the creation of the community forums and the “new news, new thread” rule. These policies were explained clearly and transparently, and with input from the community. Over the course of this year, no transparent, proactive actions were taken. To then blame the community’s response to the bewildering silence (both in terms of time and the effort spent stifling discussion) on the US political climate, and therefore assert that gutting the OT is a positive step, is cowardly. And to suppose that all the mods left due to harassment and threats, and not at all because of frank disagreements with leadership actions and decision making (real and alleged) is dishonest, and shows an inability to take responsibility at best. The response to the situation has shown plainly that EviLore views NeoGAF as his community, under his control, and that he values that control more than the community itself. That remains apparent regardless of whether the allegations against him are true or not.

The actions taken in response to this situation (e.g., outright suffocation of initial discussion, subsequent refusal to allow “difficult” topics, reduction in moderation transparency) are not only unrelated to the allegations themselves, they are in direct contrast to why NeoGAF has historically been a special place for me. As a result, much of the community has left, and not without good reason. The forum may remain open, but it will never again be the same to me. That saddens me greatly; it feels like losing a good friend.

I’m going to take some time away. I hope that over time the NeoGAF leadership becomes more transparent and community-oriented, and all manner of quality discussions are allowed to flourish.

Arnas

Would like to get an invite too ! yes i am only a junior member with 64 post's under my belt, i was mostly active in the console screenshot threads.

Joe T.

I feel your pain man. Folks always gotta talk about their daily experiences, why can't they just like ignore it!

Angelus, you're a strong voice here and I know you are better than that. Why demean the response to the other poster when you know that's not what I was saying? This isn't a binary world where we only live in extremes. If you wanted to discuss racism on NeoGAF there were a plethora of threads that touched on the topic, there was no need to - excuse my French - "shitpost" in threads that could have easily done without the baseless accusations. Keep in mind this was never directed at you either, but it was clear as day that some of the regulars here had become polarized figures, more interested in shutting down discussions than encouraging them. Don't be one of those people.

Felensis

Banned

What's the matter? tl;dr is that I don't give a shit about Evilore, but not about Gaf. I'll see how things develop and then I'll decide if I stay or jump ship. If Resetera turns out to be a bright, but fast burning light then what's the point? In this case there won't be any alternative to Gaf (at least for me).

...The truth is that this is just a forum. ...

Your whole post is just yadda-yadda-mirror-yadda-yadda while you basically make everything you said meaningless with this one sentence you've written.

As I responded to BoxManLocke just right above quoting you: I don't give a shit about Evilore. I just want to talk games, man ;)
If Resetera is here to stay and will carry the good part of Gafs soul I'll be happy to join them and stay with them (but first they need to let me sign up for it :p). Otherwise there is just no alternative for Gaf for me. There are still good people here, a lot of awesome OTs and last but not least it's clean and minimalistic frontend compared to all those ad-bloated gaming news sites out there.

So please keep your self-righteous SJW crap for yourself. I really don't care. To me Gaf isn't Evilore. I just like Gaf and it's community and unless there isn't a proper alternative I'll stay. For now it seems that Gaf is drying out while all the good stuff is showing up over at Resetera. If it stays like this, I'll switch over. We'll see.

WITHE1982

Just popped over to Reserera and it's looking pretty sweet. I like the SNES (US) colour scheme anyway.

I'll be registering as soon as it's available in the UK. Still planning on keeping up with GAF for the foreseeable future, although that depends on how the loss of members effects the content.

What's the matter? tl;dr is that I don't give a shit about Evilore, but not about Gaf. I'll see how things develop and then I'll decide if I stay or jump ship. If Resetera turns out to be a bright, but fast burning light then what's the point? In this case there won't be any alternative to Gaf (at least for me).

Your whole post is just yadda-yadda-mirror-yadda-yadda while you basically make everything you said meaningless with this one sentence you've written.

As I responded to BoxManLocke just right above quoting you: I don't give a shit about Evilore. I just want to talk games, man ;)
If Resetera is here to stay and will carry the good part of Gafs soul I'll be happy to stay there (but first they need to let me sign up for it :p). Otherwise there is just no alternative for Gaf for me. There are still good people here, a lot of awesome OTs and last but not least it's clean and minimalistic frontend compared to all those ad-bloated gaming news sites out there.

So please keep your self-righteous SJW crap for yourself. I really don't care. To me Gaf isn't Evilore. I just like Gaf and it's community and unless there isn't a proper alternative I'll stay. For now it seems that Gaf is drying out while all the good stuff is showing up over at Resetera. If it stays like this, I'll switch over. We'll see.

Jesus fucking christ dude.

Not only are you completely ignoring the main point (what you think about Evilore isn't important), you're actually doubling down own the other stuff.

The "self-righteous SJWs" have switched to ERA already (I'm asking for a ban again btw, am I going to have to create a troll thread ?). GAF has been "cleansed". But you seem okay to jump ship because the "good stuff is showing up" even though you seem to despise the community.

Just pointing out your hypocrisy basically.

Jacobs

I don’t post alot, but I have been a (junior) member for quite some years. Shame to see the atmosphere change so fast here, it has been a great place to read about gaming news and recommended games to play. Just checked the other place out, hope someone can hook me up with an invite, you need to be in the discord first to be able to register?

Nabbis

For once i would like to see someone on gaf who is not a carebear or a skeletor. But then again this is a
gaming?
forum and asking for normal people is a little too much.

Moongazer

I know I haven't posted much around here mostly lurked but it was fun and I wish everyone who stays all the best. I'll checking out the new forum to see where the old guard has gone to. Bye!

Felensis

Banned
Jesus fucking christ dude.

Not only are you completely ignoring the main point (what you think about Evilore isn't important), you're actual doubling down own the other stuff.

The "self-righteous SJWs" have switched to ERA already. GAF has been "cleansed". But you seem okay to jump ship because the "good stuff is showing up" even though you seem to despise the community.

Just pointing out your hypocrisy basically.

I already pointed out that I'm not consent with all the freaks here on GAF which committed account suicide. Most of them even with childish, offensive threads. I don't need such scumbags whether on Gaf nor Resetera. I've also pointed out while I think a lot of Evilores stuff from the past is a no-go and that I don't like the guy and his behavior in general I'm just baffled how the community reacted to the current case.

There is no evidence. A woman on Facebook pointed the finger at him while later admitting she talked it out with him and then even slept with him. WTF? That's enough for those "self-righteous SJWs" I'm speaking of to lynch the guy and burn Gaf down? I mean lynch him, I don't care, but burning Gaf down... oh boy. I hope no one points at one of you guys IRL without any evidence. That's not righteous, that has nothing to do with a constitutional state nor democracy which most of us hopefully live in/with.

Anyway I don't want to discuss any of this shit any further.

I repeat tl;dr: I'll observe how Gaf and Resetera will turn out in the future and then decide where I'll continue discussing games and only games (ok, movies, anime and stuff like this, too or in other words: no politics or Evilores sex life and sexual behavior :p).

Xtyle

I said I was out, then I read this.

I'm going to throw out the most sincerious thing I've ever typed online - namely that you should be ashamed of yourself, and that you need to look into a mirror and reflect on the reflection looking back at you if you think a fuckkng forum's survival means that you, like that gigantic piece of shit EvilLore, deems it okay to minimalise this entire situation in such a crass and vile way.

It's bad enough the owner of this forum is s chicken shit who waits three days to put out a statement, omits information which'd point out how he's full of shit, and comes across as bad as David Cross did with a non apology/subtle victim blaming rhetoric.

The truth is that this is just a forum. The people made it. People like Bronson and Slayven, threads like MentalHealthGaf, and in jokes and Gaf lore (said lore wasn't evil and doesn't step into showers with women unasked.)

And that's gone now. Here at least. Because our owner, whether guilty or not, has been found wanting. He handled the situation embarrassingly, and is now playing damage control by banning anyone who calls him lnhis shit.

So all some of us can do is stand in our little hill and call him on his shit. I often said to Gaffers is this really the hill they want to be banned on? Well, for me, it is.

Oh, am I breaking the fourth wall? Hey BobbyRoberts, how you doing?

And the spirit of Gaf and the good people here won't die. It'll just evolve past this board, to other boards not run by cretinous cunts.

So I say to you all, burn this forum to the ground. Go elsewhere. Add people to Facebook, Twitter, Discord whatever. Don't godown with a forum equivalent of the Titanic that'd step into the water, unasked, and sneak up behind an iceberg.

I could understand the anger from your perspective but man that's over reacting.
It's a message board, the owner doesn't necessary interact with you or I...and here is a person that does something less than perfect and then that caused this huge over reaction. Honestly I would not like to live in a world where people expect everyone around them to be flawless because we humans are inherently flawed...man, I am scratching my head. Sure, what he did wasn't too nice to the girl but really, wasn't such a big deal.

Bishop89

I don’t post alot, but I have been a (junior) member for quite some years. Shame to see the atmosphere change so fast here, it has been a great place to read about gaming news and recommended games to play. Just checked the other place out, hope someone can hook me up with an invite, you need to be in the discord first to be able to register?

discord invites are for initial register phases. Not sure if its too late to get in via discord.
Otherwise just wait for registrations to open up again.

I think you need a 'paid' email address like GAF. But then you can change it once you're in.

Just popped over to Reserera and it's looking pretty sweet. I like the SNES (US) colour scheme anyway.

I'll be registering as soon as it's available in the UK. Still planning on keeping up with GAF for the foreseeable future, although that depends on how the loss of members effects the content.

This thread title below made me chuckle and am not looking for a ban as will always keep up with GAF however..

US PoliERA 2017 [OT] Someone ask Trump to pronounce Niger

Sounds like the OT over there is fairly diverse and unrestricted. I wonder if it will be SWJ all the way.

All I really know is it's been a mental week. And remember...

monty-python-quote-hes-not-the-messiah-hes-a-very-naughty-boy.jpg

Such a damn shame about all this. Lessons learnt and all that... I do think EL owes us all an apology, along with all the people who are upset with him for whatever reason. Am not happy about this split and all of it could of been avoided.

Madness

Let's just take a moment to reflect on how badly this gif from four years ago has aged.

Jesus lol. Every bit of that is hilariously ironic.

I already pointed out that I'm not consent with all the freaks here on GAF which committed account suicide. Most of them even with childish, offensive threads. I don't need such scumbags whether on Gaf nor Resetera. I've also pointed out while I think a lot of Evilores stuff from the past is a no-go and that I don't like the guy and his behavior in general I'm just baffled how the community reacted to the current case.

There is no evidence. A woman on Facebook pointed the finger at him while later admitting she talked it out with him and then even slept with him. WTF? That's enough for those "self-righteous SJWs" I'm speaking of to lynch the guy and burn Gaf down? I mean lynch him, I don't care, but burning Gaf down... oh boy. I hope no one points at one of you guys IRL without any evidence. That's not righteous, that has nothing to do with a constitutional state nor democracy which most of us hopefully live in/with.

Anyway I don't want to discuss any of this shit any further.

I repeat tl;dr: I'll observe how Gaf and Resetera will turn out in the future and then decide where I'll continue discussing games and only games (ok, movies, anime and stuff like this, too or in other words: no politics or Evilores sex life and sexual behavior :p).

What are you even on about? Nobody cares about legality. All of these courtroom analogies and You're No Angel&#8482; defenses clogging up this thread are dumb as fuck. Horribly misguided at best, if not intentionally obfuscating the point. For the 169th time in 169 pages, the problem isn't the allegation itself. It's his piss-poor response to it, his heinous comments in the Klepek interview, the addled, delusional statement he gave his mod team, shutting down discussion, complete failure to apologize, and a documented pattern of shitty behavior going back a decade. Dude posted revenge porn and you're caping for him.

People just got sick of his shit attitude and left. Decided they'd rather discuss games on a platform not affiliated with him. You might even call that an example of the free market speaking, if you wanted to give it an analogy that actually makes sense. He's cold product.

MODS -

Please ban the people derailing the Giant Bomb thread with discord/new forum invites.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1444544&page=157

I imagine over the coming weeks it's going to be a royal mess. We may have to stomach the derailing for a bit.

As previously mentioned I think EL owes all of us an apology. It's on his head and actions were in this situation. That there is this split and rupture mode.

It will settle down but the silence is deafening.

oon

Banned
I lurked this site for years, never posted much but I loved the in-depth discussion on games and other hobbies and the safe space it generally afforded people.

I find Malka's stigmatizing of mental illness as part of his defense despicable. That it took three days to say anything is cowardly and moronic. He makes poor choices of which washrooms to walk into naked, poor choices in running a forum and poor choices in developing a measured response that could restore faith in a community. He's a bad administrator and by every appearance a bad person.

That the majority of good mods left, people who worked for this man for years, should make it clear what sort of character this man has. A good leader wouldn't have almost his entire administration quit when news like this breaks. That should tell us all something important about who he really is, don't you all think? They didn't think "No, that doesn't sound like Malka". They thought "That sounds exactly like Malka".

I don't know how anyone in good conscience can keep visiting this site and finance another one of his trips around the world. That'd be unfair to the world.

To the mod that bans me - please ask yourself if you're part of something that will make the world a better place, even in its own tiny, hobbyist little way. I don't think this forum can ever be that anymore, but I know where we can all find it. The community that made up the heart of NeoGAF has moved on, so the work you mods do now will build up something new. Please consider if it's really worth dedicating your free time to do that - do you really care about EvilLore's bank account that much? Why help this one man get richer? Is he really the sort of person that deserves to profit off of all this traffic and all your work - even if you don't think the allegations are true, how about how he can't even be assed to address his community after three days of it imploding? Right now, this site is just a name and Tyler Malka's checking account. Why waste your time on that?

Please ban me. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom