• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus Mods to increase prices by 40%+ in June

wvnative

Cbs No GIF by HULU

I had no idea they charged at all???

So I understand, people pay to have a team of activists curating what mods are available? Amazing... what a time to be alive!

Last edited:

Sentenza

They can genuinely fuck off.

I still remember when years ago I paid what was supposed to be a once-and-for-all subscription fee to have their premium service and only few months later they turned the thing into an ongoing subscription invalidating my premium.
That was BEFORE they revealed their current holier-than-you attitude where they seem to think they have the moral final say on what mods are good and what aren't.

And to be clear, I'm not particularly missing any of the mods (that I know of) they banned so far. I just don't think it's their place to decide for others.
A recent example would be when they banned the AI-assisted mod that turned the BG3 narrator into a male voice because "muhsogginee". You know, on the same portal where you can download few variations of "Karlach's gigantic futa horse cock". Because apparently that's entirely fine and progressive.

Last edited:

GHG

Other places would pop up, and probably be better. Fuck Nexus Mods.

If that were the case then they would have already and they would have become more popular given the recent controversies surrounding nexus.

You do know there are other sites that also hosts mods right?

You don't even need a proper site, you can just put your stuff on github.

There is no other centralised user friendly website to get mods from. You can't browse github for mods and then download them in the same way that you can on nexus.

As much as people don't want to admit it, there are reasons why nexus is so popular and remains so.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

If that were the case then they would have already and they would have become more popular given the recent controversies surrounding nexus.

There is no other centralised user friendly website to get mods from. You can't browse github for mods and then download them in the same way that you can on nexus.

As much as people don't want to admit it, there are reasons why nexus is so popular and remains so.
Because one already exists and there is no need for another one.
But if Nexus went down, there would be a need for another and one of the other less robust ones will be the one the users flock to and become the new Nexus.

StereoVsn

And why exactly you decided to quote me and tell me this? It has nothing to do with what i said.
Because you keep talking about ModDB to be better platform and hosting better mods. It’s a different platform, not a better one.

“I didn't say it had more, i said it had better mods with a lot more effort put into them.”

Guilty_AI

Because you keep talking about ModDB to be better platform and hosting better mods. It’s a different platform, not a better one.

“I didn't say it had more, i said it had better mods with a lot more effort put into them.”
I didn't say it was the better platform either, just that it had better mods in general. When you consider it hosts multiple total conversion mods including some that work as standalone games as well as many many gameplay overhauls, compared to Nexus where it does have a lot more mods but 90% of them are just small to medium tweaks to gameplay or/and visuals, you can't really argue against it.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I didn't say it was the better platform either, just that it had better mods in general. When you consider it hosts multiple total conversion mods including some that work as standalone games as well as many many gameplay overhauls, compared to Nexus where it does have a lot more mods but 90% of them are just small to medium tweaks to gameplay or/and visuals, you can't really argue against it.
I haven’t been using ModDB too much but Nexus hosts major overhauls for at least Bethesda games. That said, it’s good to have a number of sites providing these services so no one site can dictate terms.

Nexus has gone super careful being afraid to offend the woke side. I understand why on one hand as it’s a business now, but on the other hand some of those decisions have been inconsistent and unnecessary.

All that said, I am now going to only sub for a month of heavy use essentially. No point otherwise even though I sympathize with their hire cost. Bandwidth, servers, people aren’t cheap.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I did consider the lifetime premium before it went away, but I wasn't in a position to spend frivolously so I left it. It's also unnecessary, as I make my own mod setups for the Bethesda games and I'll never be in a rush to download larger mods (texture or sound packs). Ultimately I'm happy with my pre-monthly change supporter tier.

Still, I don't think people are giving Nexus the credit it deserves for the good things and are letting the bad things - a minority of cases - be the only thing that matters.

If you're really upset about the few mods that get taken down from NexusMods, just look for them on BasedMods. You can get all of the taken down Spider-Man, Hogwarts Legacy, and presumably most other mods that don't have a home on Nexus anymore. You can also thank your stars that BasedMods isn't the standard home for mods as it's bad to navigate.

For all of its faults, there's no site doing it like Nexus. Maybe for smaller games, but not the big ones. The API that mod managers hook into alone is huge.

There are also tons of sites specialized for certain games like DOOM or Infinity engine games
ModDB is a mess to use even by the standards of the time it was designed let alone more modern code. It has good content, but I'm glad people don't rely on it for more than the odd few things.

Steam Community is better because it at least has some effort that's gone into it, but it still doesn't hold a candle to Nexus.

Guilty_AI

ModDB is a mess to use even by the standards of the time it was designed let alone more modern code. It has good content, but I'm glad people don't rely on it for more than the odd few things.

Steam Community is better because it at least has some effort that's gone into it, but it still doesn't hold a candle to Nexus.
I don't have much issue with it really. That said its true Steam Workshop is the best one by a mile, it's only set back is how it only works for steam games.

Boss Mog

That's not how things work. It needs to disappear for good before people put the effort in to create something new and users put in the effort to use something new. When twitter was owned by the woke, the anti-woke said they were gonna start their own and then when Elon bought it, all the woke people said they were gonna quit and yet nobody went anywhere, everybody stayed and is still there.

All of the mods I've got there are just lua scripts that download in seconds anyway, so I don't see the point of paying... or deactivating my ad blocker lol

killatopak

Gold Member
I'm torn. I have been using their service for more than a decade. I will say that there are definitely use cases where premium is useful. If you plan on using wabbajack and try out dozens of mod lists then it's very convenient to subscribe to premium as you don't have to manually download each mod and just let the application do the work.

Free download has always been fast for me so unless I plan to do the afformentioned wabbajack stuff, it's enough.

FeralEcho

Do you think all those woke moderators that remove the mods you like are paying for themselves?

Pay more,get less! They are following the netflix model and can you fault them? Being a greedy cunt is human nature afterall.Moreso for some than others but hey what can you do,hell doesn't populate itself on its own,it needs volunteers like these guys.

Can't wait for the "go bankrupt/pikachu face" phase of these companies. It might take a while for all these companies to get there but It'll be oh so glorious when they do.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As someone who used the site super heavily in the Oblivion/Skyrim era I have a lifetime premium account with them. Can't remember how much it cost me as it's near a decade ago, but I think it was the same as they are charging yearly for now.

I certainly got my moneys worth over the years.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Few years ago I called someone a "wierdo" and they banned me for like three weeks. I mean, what else do you call a modder who puts hentai anime chicks in Skyrim?

Top Bottom