• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is increasing the price of Xbox Series X and Xbox Game Pass

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
There’s a Phil quote for everything.

Speaking to CNBC 8 months ago:

“And I can definitely say we have no plans today to raise the price of our consoles,” Spencer continued. We think in a time when our customers are more economically challenged and uncertain than ever, we don’t think it’s the right move for us at this point to be raising prices on our console.”

Nice to know the economic crisis has all blown over in the UK.

07bc4614dff80aff3e8069fbd788c6af.jpg
Everything is fine now. Rent has come down(not) house prices have come down (not) used cars have come down (not) etc. Negotiator101 Negotiator101 says we're all good because inflation isn't quite as bad as last year.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Game Pass PC - no increase.

It’s almost as though Microsoft know they can’t rip people of on an open platform with rival store fronts, but know the people forced in to their walled garden can be exploited.
Is pretty obvious that PC/windows is now more important for MS them xbox ... if I were an xbox fanboy i would give a giant middle finger to the monster that eats 30 fps games for breakfast and would play all the creative vision in 60+fps on PC

Last edited:

Klayzer

Is pretty obvious that PC/windows is now more important for MS them xbox ... if I were an xbox fanboy i would give a giant middle finger to the monster that eats 30 fps games for breakfast and would play all the creative vision in 60+fps on PC
It does feel like more of a pivot to a better PC experience versus Xbox gamers.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Still haven’t paid for gamepass. I guess I should cash in some reward points while it is still 35000 for 3 months.

Chukhopops

Damn someone from another thread was right Microsoft was losing too much money on Series X and artificially slow production until they got close to break even now that they've ramped up production again they've hiked the price. Sorry I couldn't give credit to that user since i forgot who it was but know that you're a scholar.
- lose money per unit sold
- make revenue from the ecosystem, subs, MTX
- decide to reduce production on purpose even though that means you lose the same amount per unit AND you get less revenue from the units you don’t sell
- once you’re close to breaking even somehow, increase the price instead of doing it in the first place, which would have prevented you from losing money per unit to begin with

How does that make any sense?

Reality is: MS didn’t want to increase the price before a system seller would come out, now they have one so they do. It sucks but at least my salary is indexed on inflation to an extent.

buenoblue

I stopped subbing about a year ago. I have so many games now I don't need more games I need more time in the day lol. I'll just sub for a month when a big game like starfield comes out.

GHG

Everything is fine now. Rent has come down(not) house prices have come down (not) used cars have come down (not) etc. Negotiator101 Negotiator101 says we're all good because inflation isn't quite as bad as last year.

It's even better than that, he thinks he's experiencing deflation.

Even if we are to entertain that ridiculous notion (inflation is still very much alive and kicking, especially in the UK), are we supposed to believe that Xbox raising prices in a world where prices are falling (and hence the cost of production will also fall) is a good thing for consumers?

Oh thank you Microsoft for only raising prices when your margins will benefit most from it. Thank you for raising prices when prices of everything else is falling (in his fantasy world).

Of all the knot twisting I've seen in the last few days that's up there with the best.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I feel that Starfield launch will be critical for the Game Pass future!
I feel like Microsoft are trying to build up a tidal wave of shit heading in to Starfield’s launch. Very strange way of trying to build hype and good will after the 18 month barren spell followed by Redfall.

Joramun

Imagine what those prices will be like when there's no competition.
What are you talking about?

They don't have any competition right now.

Who offers a similar service to Xbox Game Pass? Especially the Ultimate version.

Not Sony. Not Nintendo. Not Valve.

Three

- decide to reduce production on purpose even though that means you lose the same amount per unit AND you get less revenue from the units you don’t sell
- once you’re close to breaking even somehow, increase the price instead of doing it in the first place, which would have prevented you from losing money per unit to begin with

Reality is: MS didn’t want to increase the price before a system seller would come out, now they have one so they do. It sucks but at least my salary is indexed on inflation to an extent.
How does any of what you're saying make sense instead? It's because that choice was more expensive to MS.

They had two products. The S and the X. One is a lower loss, one has no second hand sales, both have the same priced games and services.

Do you pump out to retailers the device you are making a bigger loss on?

Now you might be wondering "what about those who wouldn't have bought the S, that's a lost sale! ".
Well you still supply the X but in a way that increases its margins. How? For the plain Jane Series X you only sell direct and remove the cut that would have went to the retailers. For retailers you increase margin by adding +$60 to the price to bundle an old game (Forza Horizon)

Now they have increased the price on the X and all of a sudden "supply issues" gone (there were no real supply issues just jumping through the hoops to increase MS margin). Now they've increased the margin and don't need to pull any of this bullshit regarding availability.

Nydius

Who offers a similar service to Xbox Game Pass? Especially the Ultimate version.

The only things Game Pass Ultimate has over PS+ Premium are:
a) PC and Console dual inclusion,
b) Day 1 access to first party titles,
c) Access to EA Play.

The PC element only matters to a very small subset of people who game on both Xbox and PC, and the access to day 1 titles hasn't exactly been stellar -- with a lengthy drought between games. Pentiment, Hi-Fi Rush, and Redfall aren't exactly system or service sellers, even though Pentiment and Hi-Fi are good games. Sure, Starfield and Forza are coming this year but the day 1 element is heavily dependent on actually getting games out, which Microsoft has a poor track record of. Most of Sony's first party games end up on PS+ Extra and Premium eventually with R&C, Returnal, Horizon Forbidden West already there. I'd expect GT7 and GoWR there by year's end.

As for EA Play, you could add the EA Play subscription to your PS+ Premium subscription and it would still be cheaper than the retail price of Game Pass Ultimate, even at Game Pass Ultimate's old price. $150, combined, for PS+ Premium and EA Play vs the old $180 annual retail of Game Pass Ultimate (which will be $204 once the new pricing goes into effect).

If you don't think PS+ Premium is a direct competitor to Game Pass Ultimate, you're either trolling or a blind fanboy.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Better go ahead and cash in my rewards points for another 6 months of GPU before the prices change.

Last edited:

yazenov

There’s a Phil quote for everything.

Speaking to CNBC 8 months ago:

“And I can definitely say we have no plans today to raise the price of our consoles,” Spencer continued. We think in a time when our customers are more economically challenged and uncertain than ever, we don’t think it’s the right move for us at this point to be raising prices on our console.”

Nice to know the economic crisis has all blown over in the UK.

07bc4614dff80aff3e8069fbd788c6af.jpg

U.K. inflation came in hotter than expected in May, as consumer prices rose by an annual 8.7%, unchanged from the previous month.

Core inflation — which excludes volatile energy, food, alcohol and tobacco prices — rose by an annual 7.1%, up from 6.8% in April and the highest rate since March 1992

They were better off short-term selling XSS probably for a better margin but also with people more likely to get GamePass on it than with the Series X.

Even more, they'd rather get PC GamePass subscribers because they take no loss on hardware.

They've given up on B2P and as such they've given up on consoles.

We're seeing increased price in B2P games, increased price in consoles, increased price in gamepass... It's clear that Microsoft has said Xbox has to become profitable and we're not going to continue to loss lead with it.

That's why Microsoft isn't putting out a mid gen refresh. Microsoft doesn't want to put any more money into hardware even if that means Sony is going to eat their lunch on high revenue console gamers who are willing to shell out more on a console.

It's time to realize that depending on how the rest of this gen goes AND whether Microsoft can close ABK this may very well be their last console that competes directly with Sony. Instead, I could see them focusing on a cheaper console like the Series S, GamePass, and xCloud.

Mr Moose

WTF happened to cigarette prices? I remember when a 20 pack was about £4 (or £1.50 for some shite American brand from a neighbour), fucking glad I stopped smoking.
That shit is over £12 now.
Forgot to add that for Playstation Extra:
- Pay an Extra $70 for 1st party titles
- Pay an Extra $70 again to play said first-party games on a PC
- Wait an Extra 5 months to a year for recent 1st party games to be added to the service.

Kermit The Frog Drink GIF by Muppet Wiki
What?
Pay $70 for Redfall.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Forgot to add that for Playstation Extra:
- Pay an Extra $70 for 1st party titles
- Pay an Extra $70 again to play said first-party games on a PC
- Wait an Extra 5 months to a year for recent 1st party games to be added to the service.

Kermit The Frog Drink GIF by Muppet Wiki
Friends don't let friends use Windows Store on the PC.

You're a terrible friend.

And why would you bother playing those games on the console when you have them for the PC? Seems redundant while the whole time you wished you bought the Steam versions.

Which people clearly do more so of.

Connxtion

Because we are constantly being told that Xbox is the consumer friendly platform and evil Sony is the one who raises prices .
Then Xbox goes and raises the prices across the board.

Here you are happy to pay more it's only 2£ more.. then what about next year when they raise it again and again.

Get people hooked on subscriptions then crank it up. We've seen clowns on this website say they'd be happy to pay 20/25 a month.

What a joke with release like redfall and nothing.
Unfortunately everything goes up every year, due to yearly inflation. Maybe different in other countries but the UK it increases every year.

Would I like it if was the same, of corse. But £2 is a hell of a lot better than what my electric/gas bill & food prices jumped up by.

Like I said, it’s increasing by the price of a bottle of juice (500ml) in fact depending on where you get it it’s cheaper.

The value is still there for people who want 100 games for less than £9/13 a month. (But I guess that’s subjective)

Anyways I don’t think the increase is that big a deal, we have been getting it cheaper for a couple years now when really it should have jumped up a few times by now.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Dial back the juvenile console war vitriol.
Why even bother with such a laughably dishonest comparison?

PlayStation Plus doesn't include Sony's titles day one, Essential isn't the highest tier, none of this works on PC, Essential doesn't include classics, PlayStation Plus doesn't include all of EA Play, and no tier includes perks. It's overpriced for what it is.
Game Pass has all of Mircrosoft's titles day one, Ultimate works on Console and PC, every tier includes every functioning Microsoft title from all generations with notable BC improvements, Ultimate includes all of EA Play, and Ultimate includes monthly perks. Terrific value, even with the price increase.

Sony Ponys are running wild today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom