• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been six months since Sony increased PS Plus prices

What is your stance on the PS Plus price increase?

• The service improved and I renewed my membership

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • The service improved but I didn't renew my membership

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • I didn't renew my membership but I'm going to (Quality increased)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • I didn't renew my membership and I'm not going to (Quality did not increase)

Votes: 192 63.8%
  • Other

Votes: 86 28.6%

• Total voters

Leonidas

Other: Didn't renew, which led to my PS5 collecting dust, which led to me selling the PS5.

I might get a PS5 Pro though, so I could see myself getting one month when it goes on sale if I get a current gen PS again (PS+ seems to go on sale pretty often since the price hike)...

Last edited:

taizuke

I let mine lapse after so many years, but then I got an offer from Sony. Extra for $79.99, so I took it.

Ultimately, I think that's what they wanted cause I've been renewing Plus Essential for years but always on sale.

angrod14

I've been riding on Essential since the beginning. The games I care about I purchase individually from the store, most of the times heavily discounted. I've always prefered a menu rather than "all you can eat for X dollars".

Neff

I've said it before and I'll say it again- I don't give a fuck about high-quality games and value-added benefits. I've never played a Plus game. Anything worth owning, I already own.

I'm only subbed for Tekken, Street Fighter, and a shitload of messages on the floor warning me not to open a mimic chest. A cheaper service which grants online play only without attempting to fleece me for 2-3 year-old indie tablescraps would be welcomed.

GreatnessRD

I've said it before and I'll say it again- I don't give a fuck about high-quality games and value-added benefits. I've never played a Plus game. Anything worth owning, I already own.

I'm only subbed for Tekken, Street Fighter, and a shitload of messages on the floor warning me not to open a mimic chest. A cheaper service which grants online play only without attempting to fleece me for 2-3 year-old indie tablescraps would be welcomed.
The MasterRace awaits you, homie. And we shall welcome you with open arms. May your frames be high and temps low. :pie_gsquint:

Crayon

Idk if there was any difference. I'll always keep the basic and I might change the sub down to that. The catalog is actually good but a game sub service doesn't make any sense for me.

Gamerguy84

Yes I still have it. I have been charged more for way worse services, like steakhouse restaurants.

Mostly because my child has a friend over on weekends and they try all kinds of different games.

If xbox goes away they can and will probably increase it further , because that's what companies do when there is monopoly.
And nothing against Sony, Microsoft would do the same and for that reason I don't want xbox to die

kyubajin

Let my sub run and don't plan to resub any time soon. Too many unopened sealed games to justify this sub, thank you Sony for making me save money.

Paasei

PS+ is a very useless service for me personally:
- I collected the games of which most I never played.

- Playing online is something I more or less stopped doing altogether. Only on the PC I still do this from time to time.

- I like trophy hunting and you can see/use tips within the console/game to see, but that convenience isn't worth the price over just checking what do on any other platform.

LRKD

PS+ was never worth it, online play shouldn't be pay walled. And the 'free' games have never been free. I'd much rather go back to the days of PS3, free online, and use the money I'm not paying for that for either blockbuster rentals or gamefly instead. I haven't been subbed for maybe 5 years now, I just play either my retro catalogue now, or pc for more modern multiplayer games.

Kerotan

You got lucky.

Last year they didn't even offer a discount on adding time to the sub on black friday / christmas (which they used to do before).
Yeah I noticed that. I'd imagine they'll bring back those discounts at some point in future. Whenever I go to resub hopefully at least extra gets a discount.

Kerotan

Yeah I got 9 years of Premium for like $400 so I'll prob get my money's worth.
We should have done the PS NOW trick. If I could have I would have subbed for a few more years ps plus for $45 when it was on discount and then bought a 3 month ps now sub which would have been upgraded it to premium for all those year's. Didn't some mad man do it to like 2040?

Banjo64

cumsessed
PS Plus is the reason I’m resigned to not buying another PS console (combined with the lacking first party).

I just can’t get over paying for online play anymore. You can grab a Steam Deck for £270 on sale and play games like Helldivers. The next Steam Deck will run PS5 games easily. Sony are making themselves redundant.

Orbital2060

I havent subbed since when they put that 6 month timer on saves disappearing. I subbed for a month of WoW recently just to see if all my stuff is there and check out whats changed. And its all there, just like I left it 6-7 years ago. Same with xbox cloud saves, it just works and you dont have to worry about it.

Locking saves behind a subscription should not even be legal, on some level. At least its incredibly poor customer service. A kind of gaslighting from a company that knows that many of their customers will just keep the sub going out of fear of losing progress and all the time they put into a game. Worst deal in gaming, and I dont understand why people accept it.

I know you can backup the save data to a usb stick but still, its 2024 not 1999. Shouldnt have to deal with this shit.

xrnzaaas

All I want is cloud saves.
This is super scummy from Sony, because they've also blocked the option to make usb backups of your saves for PS5 titles. The official reason is to prevent them for being modified, but I think we all know the real one - $$$. You either have to pay for the sub or make regular backups of the entire system.

Orbital2060

Oh, thats right. You cant even back them up on a PS5.

charlton heston laughing GIF

phant0m

Cancelled my sub, been a subscriber since it launched on PS3.

It wasn’t even the price increase tbh, I just don’t play PS5 multiplayer - all my friends are on PC now. And I don’t need the PS+ games, I don’t have enough time to boat the games I do buy as it is.

Drew1440

Not renewed, I rarely play online and mostly got it for the PSNow games but I can't justify the monthly price increase.

NickFire

I don’t want to be stuck with consoles that can’t play online like it’s 1993 again, so I did renew essential. But that arrogant price increase has me hoping MS, Apple, Amazon or whoever gives me a good reason to change ecosystems next generation. This is not a glowing review of any other company. I just feel that Sony abused its customers who have no choice but to pay more or lose online, in my opinion.

K' Dash

I dropped PS Premium last November when it ran out. I subscribed to PS Plus Essential when Helldivers 2 came out for 3 months so that's where im at. My subscription literally depends on whether im active on Helldivers 2 and im only on Essential.

same here

Regginator

Charging 60$ to play online was already criminal (because that's essentially - no pun intended - what it is, fuck those monthly games), but that 20$ increase really ought to have had some people see jail time.

I'm on Extra right now. Since its inception I actually thought it was pretty good value, but I haven't seen anything in the last six months that would warrant such a steep price increase. It helps that I rarely play online (aside from the occasional jolly Souls cooperation), so I'm not planning on re-subbing at the moment.

GreatnessRD

Eh, I joined and bailed. I prefer consoles. In fact when matchmaking I'll often disable PC cross play during ranked bouts, far too many cheaters and NEETs with crappy rigs and bad wifi. I'm not sure the master race thing is so true anymore.
That's fair enough. I can't imagine going back to console myself. Haven't paid for PS+ since like '19. As bad as I want to play MLB The Show, I just can't do it.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
PS+ is a very useless service for me personally:
- I collected the games of which most I never played.

- Playing online is something I more or less stopped doing altogether. Only on the PC I still do this from time to time.

- I like trophy hunting and you can see/use tips within the console/game to see, but that convenience isn't worth the price over just checking what do on any other platform.
Easy enough to just open your phone for trophy tips anyway.

Kupfer

This is super scummy from Sony, because they've also blocked the option to make usb backups of your saves for PS5 titles. The official reason is to prevent them for being modified, but I think we all know the real one - $$$. You either have to pay for the sub or make regular backups of the entire system.

Not entirely true, you can backup your save files on an USB Stick -> wrote a how-to here

You don't have to backup your entire PS5 IIRC, but it is not as convenient as before on the PS4

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Not entirely true, you can backup your save files on an USB Stick -> wrote a how-to here

You don't have to backup your entire PS5 IIRC, but it is not as convenient as before on the PS4
I will try it out after my PS+ expires. It still looks like a hassle to reserve several gigabytes for all the local saves, have the console restart etc.

Neilg

I let mine expire and have zero plans to resub. I spend 2 months on a large single player RPG and have a backlog that'll take me to the end of the year, I don't play multiplayer or need 'free' games.
I was already thinking about how unnecessary it was to keep, the price increase was the nail in the coffin.

Last edited:

Esca

Mine expired in late February this year. I was playing helldiver's 2 and when I went to play and it came up trying to sell me on subs. No discount or sales and it just was the last stick that broke the back and pissed me off.

I've been saving for a new PC and came across a good deal for my price range. Bought helldiver's 2 for the pc. The only things I use my PS5 for now is exclusives and I'm not sure if I'll Even bother with a ps6 depending on their policies towards PC at that time

Chronicle

Literally besides candy and sugar what gas not increased? Not to give Sony excuses but really. It's 8 dollars for a 3L jug of milk here!

Top Bottom