• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ocarina of Time 3DS screenshots

WillyFive

MPW said:
very disappointed at the so called upgraded graphics for OoT

will wait till 3ds price goes down, not buying 3ds @ launch (3-5 hour battery life? really nintendo?)

In what ways are the 3DS shots inferior to the N64 one?

Boogiepop

Really hoping for some new content, but here's hoping they at least clear out/fix up some of the... questionable... design choices. I'd say there's a reason none of the later games never felt the need to revisit any of those timed puzzles or silver rupees crap...

Willy105 said:
In what ways are the 3DS shots inferior to the N64 one?
The water? Though that might be a case of least improved so it just looks bland (or is this evidence that 3DS can't do transparency).

john tv said:
Somebody pull up the same screens from the N64 version for comparison!
I remember it looking better on the N64 :\. That water, especially. And the colour palette. wtf...

Are they at least making the controls tighter? That's the only thing recent Zelda games have on OoT - better controls. OoT's controls have a bit of lag to them.
Really hoping for some new content, but here's hoping they at least clear out/fix up some of the... questionable... design choices. I'd say there's a reason none of the later games never felt the need to revisit any of those timed puzzles or silver rupees crap...
Those timed puzzles were all fairly easy for 12-year-old me. I didn't mind them. I'd much prefer those (the worst of which were optional, like the bigorn knife) to the item collecathons in the more recent Zeldas.

Mank said:

If they don't add new content, then they won't fix stuff in the game design wise. It fits under the same roof.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
I remember it looking better on the N64 :\. That water, especially. And the colour palette. wtf...

Are they at least making the controls tighter? That's the only thing recent Zelda games have on OoT - better controls. OoT's controls have a bit of lag to them.

In my minds eye, all 64 games look fucking amazing, but in reality they look pretty outdated. Reality can be a bitch, and a lot of people are wearing rose tinted glasses about this games visuals.

Somnid

Starwolf_UK said:
The water? Though that might be a case of least improved so it just looks bland (or is this evidence that 3DS can't do transparency).

Think about this statement.

Jaagen

Starwolf_UK said:

Yes it can do transparency. A lot of other games use it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man you guys.

Dw9Br5zv18WK495ccY7La7Meq5rQ9ce1.jpg

All I see when I look at this is fabulousness. Every single texture has been redone, Link's new model looks great (along with the girl on the pillar), the house in the background has been remodeled, the image quality is immaculate (particularly compared to the N64 blurfest), the squarish and opaque blocks of grass have been replaced by a mass of individually-rendered plants, the static tree box has been replaced by individually-rendered trees that look really great, and everything is vibrant and wonderful, making the forest look even more idyllic. Oh and I guess it's 60fps and 3D huh.

I see the same thing in every screenshot so far. Ghoma in particular looks great, if you can't see that the model has been significantly improved I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't even know what they could do BEYOND that new model/texturing to make it better without it looking out of place.

I really don't know what people wanted here.

Vinterbird said:
If they don't add new content, then they won't fix stuff in the game design wise. It fits under the same roof.

In my minds eye, all 64 games look fucking amazing, but in reality they look pretty outdated. Reality can be a bitch, and a lot of people are wearing rose tinted glasses about this games visuals.
Nah... I just find this game to look really ugly in these screens. I remember how choppy the 64 version was, so it's nice that this one will be at 60 fps. But I hate the colour palette, lighting, and the new Link model. Mostly I hate the day-glo colours.

1280x720-7.jpg

Something like this looks a million times better. Up the resolution a bit, smooth out the framerate, boost the Link model and boss models, add some nifty effects (better water, rain, fire, smoke, reflections, etc.), and I would be happy. At the very least, don't make the game look uglier, which is what they have managed to do from the look of these screens.

I'll give you the water texture, but I think it looks better in every other way.

Keep in mind that the graphics might be brighter because the 3DS's screen might make it darker. Remember the GBA's screen, and how bright games had to be for it?

Lastly, remember the frame rate. The N64 was a slow mess*. The 3DS game has an amazing, silky smooth frame rate, and will look way better, if only because of that.

Put me in the weirdo camp who liked the slow frame rates...

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Something like this looks a million times better. Up the resolution a bit, smooth out the framerate, boost the Link model and boss models, add some nifty effects (better water, rain, fire, smoke, reflections, etc.), and I would be happy.

B-b-but... they're doing exactly that for the 3DS game...

Like I said in the other thread, people forget how ugly N64 games were. Back then, it was fucking amazing. WOWZA THREE-DEE GRAPHIX! IT'S LIKE REAL LIFE! Go back and try to play it a real N64 today and wonder how you even managed.

Why would you do that? said:
I'll give you the water texture, but I think it looks better in every other way.

Keep in mind that the graphics might be brighter because the 3DS's screen might make it darker. Remember the GBA's screen, and how bright games had to be for it?

Lastly, remember the frame rate. The N64 was a slow mess*. The 3DS game has an amazing, silky smooth frame rate, and will look way better, if only because of that.

Put me in the weirdo camp who liked the slow frame rates...
I hope you are right. The lighting still looks quite a bit off to me. And Ghoma looks fucked up. The only part of him/her that is supposed to stand out is that eye, so when him/her is crawling on the roof, you can barely spot it except when the eye is open. I remember that being really cool. Now he has been coloured with neon red/orange markers. What the fuck?
Like I said in the other thread, people forget how ugly N64 games were. Back then, it was fucking amazing. WOWZA THREE-DEE GRAPHIX! IT'S LIKE REAL LIFE! Go back and try to play it a real N64 today and wonder how you even managed.
I replayed OoT a few years ago. It has aged poorly, but not as bad as a game like Goldeneye, which has aged like milk. Aside from the 15 fps (which would make those rolling jumps feel like a slow-mo in an action movie) and laggy controls, it was still quite playable. I really do hope they have tighetend up the controls.

eh, the next Zelda specifically developed for the 3DS will look heaps better. Nintendo's saving resources on this one and it looks decent after all

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Also: for people who think it's too "bright" or something, consider that all we've seen is young link. The world is happy and wonderful at this point, maybe in the adult-Link nightmarescape things will look significantly drearier. I always thought the Adult Hyrule Field was way too happy when you went away from Hyrule Castle actually, it should have maintained that level of dread further out into it. I wonder if that will be tweaked.

The M.O.B said:

Laughing at a statement of fact? How does that work?

We've got 3DS launch titles that match the best of the Xboxes output and yet Nintendo are putting out a title that looks poor by Dreamcast standards. Of course its unimpressive.

Teknoman

I really cant believe people are saying Star Fox 64 and the original ocarina of time look better than the 3DS versions (when comparing shots anyway).

Also imo, the colors are similar to Majora's Mask.

Teknoman

teruterubozu said:
Another Nintendo old-game rehash machine. Fuck. When does it end.

Another rehash machine? 3DS has two remakes so far, and DS had...one? GBA had the advance series so i'll give you that, but Zero Mission was a full on remake.

Anyway, a smooth framerate, 3d effects, improved graphics, and OoT on the go cant be bad. Not to mention every portable Nintendo remake/port always has extra content .

I'm still underwhelmed by the visual upgrade, which looks Dreamcast-quality at best, but this will probably be my first retail game purchase for 3DS. It's been seven years since I played OoT, after all...

john tv said:
I did play it, yeah; had a couple of tweets about it earlier (@johntv), but nothing major. I wasn't that impressed TBH but the demo didn't have much new in terms of content, so it's kinda hard to judge. Anyway, I'll talk about it more on 8-4 Play next week. :)
Thank you for doing that!
I would love to hear how the interface works and if you switching a lot between menu´s etc.

_Alkaline_ said:
Regardless of its clunkier moments, namely the empty hub and slowish framerate which were an issue back then anyway, it still remains superbly constructed with stellar dungeon design, a fantastic score and enchanting atmosphere. Not to mention the superb pacing (arguably better than any other game in the series).

Hyperbole. Especially with much quicker playing games in the series. Too much time spent traversing between areas, and no items a la the Pegasus Boots to speed up on foot travel. And water dungeons are one thing, but forcing a person to trudge slowly through said watery areas with weighted down boots is another.

Red

brain_stew said:

We've got 3DS launch titles that match the best of the Xboxes output and yet Nintendo are putting out a title that looks poor by Dreamcast standards. Of course its unimpressive.
I'm usually with you on your arguments, and I agree that it's technically uninmpressive compared to other 3DS titles. But in this case I don't care. It's OoT on the go. That's fine by me, regardless of what it looks like.

Arguably the best game of all time with updating graphics, 3D effects, and POSSIBLY extra content. I was signed up a while agooooo.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Something like this looks a million times better. Up the resolution a bit, smooth out the framerate, boost the Link model and boss models, add some nifty effects (better water, rain, fire, smoke, reflections, etc.), and I would be happy. At the very least, don't make the game look uglier, which is what they have managed to do from the look of these screens.
How do you "up the resolution a bit"? Original Zelda: 320x240. 3DS resolution: 400x240 - it's just a widescreen version of the same resolution. And so far they haven't shown any of the darker outdoor screens, so how can you compare that dark rainy screen? You say it uses "day glo" colors, well they are the same brightness the original game used for the screens we've seen.

WillyFive

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Nah... I just find this game to look really ugly in these screens. I remember how choppy the 64 version was, so it's nice that this one will be at 60 fps. But I hate the colour palette, lighting, and the new Link model. Mostly I hate the day-glo colours.

What? You wanted something like this?

1677861-5.png

apana

brain_stew said:

How powerful is this thing? Can it run games like Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3 without any compromises.

WillyFive

apana said:
How powerful is this thing? Can it run games like Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3 without any compromises.

Think a Dreamcast with shaders.

To run games like Galaxy and MP3, I would imagine the polygon count would suffer quite a bit, but you could add shaders that the Wii couldn't.

It's obviously more complicated than that, as well.

So, it would look different if ported.

Dreamwriter said:
How do you "up the resolution a bit"? Original Zelda: 320x240. 3DS resolution: 400x240 - it's just a widescreen version of the same resolution. And so far they haven't shown any of the darker outdoor screens, so how can you compare that dark rainy screen? You say it uses "day glo" colors, well they are the same brightness the original game used for the screens we've seen.
I wasn't comparing the rainy scenes. I was saying I hope this version adds a lot of great effects that take advantage of the improved hardware. Of the effects I compared, water and lava, I noted that the water was much worse than the 64 version, and the lava looks like shit as well. The 3DS is capable of way more.

And wtf. Are you blind? the colours are clearly fucked up and the brightness is clearly cranked up. Look at Ghoma, look at the Kokiri village, look at any of the screens!

]How do you "up the resolution a bit"? Original Zelda: 320x240. 3DS resolution: 400x240
Yeah. This just sucks, I guess. I thought the 3DS was capable of more, but I haven't followed its development at all... and I am not impressed at all with everything I've read the past couple of days. wtf nintendo.

Teknoman

OpinionatedCyborg said:
I wasn't comparing the rainy scenes. I was saying I hope this version adds a lot of great effects that take advantage of the improved hardware. Of the effects I compared, water and lava, I noted that the water was much worse than the 64 version, and the lava looks like shit as well. The 3DS is capable of way more.

And wtf. Are you blind? the colours are clearly fucked up and the brightness is clearly cranked up. Look at Ghoma, look at the Kokiri village, look at any of the screens!

Yeah. This just sucks, I guess. I thought the 3DS was capable of more, but I haven't followed its development at all... and I am not impressed at all with everything I've read the past couple of days. wtf nintendo.

Well looking at Resident Evil Revelations and Kid Icarus in motion, it is quite capable. Nintendo has always ported a few great titles with substantial upgrades for its portable systems since GBA, so you should be used to that by now.

The brightness is cranked up abit in the shots, but the ingame video looks nice. Also Goma still has those neon highlights on it's legs in the N64 version, so its not that big of a change.

friskykillface said:
why hasn't anyone tried to sneak some gameplay footage from nintendo world.

grrrrrrrrr :lol

looks alright to me, portable OoT B^)

Closest we've got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W68CPInmYc

Xdrive05

Any word on content/gameplay updates or changes?

The least they can do is throw in Master Quest. I mean, come on! They have no good reason not too.

Xdrive05 said:
Any word on content/gameplay updates or changes?

The least they can do is throw in Master Quest. I mean, come on! They have no good reason not too.
I don't think Nintendo would ever announce this kind of stuff in detail before release. I'm just going to assume there will be some additions. IIRC, they did say so at E3.

I mean, it's one thing with a game like Mario 64 DS, where you can say "Hey, extra levels and characters!" but with Zelda 64 DS, especially if additions post-game or at the end of the game, you can't really say a lot without spoiling anything.

Okay, that is a pretty noticeable difference, though the colors are brighter and I'm not sure what's up with the water. I mean, you need to see through water at certain points in the game, right?

edit: i'm not the only one who always thought king dodongo's mouth looked like a gobstopper, am i

ivysaur12

Banned
I'll probably end up getting it because it's been forever since I've played OoT, but extra content would be ace.

And if there ever is a port of WW to the 3DS, I expect my lost dungeons back.

friskykillface said:
I was hoping those two would be at nintendo world playing new demos and making vids, they had great vids on ridge racer, nintendogs i think and that zelda, hopefully they will be back between now and Sunday :D
Apparently Zelda was an hour and a half wait, so people probably wanted to play it and not film it.

ksamedi

EmCeeGramr said:

Luckily I don't have that problem.

brain_stew said:

which 3ds launch titles look as good as rallisport challenge 2?

loosus

Banned
I really hope that water looks that way because of the angle or something. Like a few others have said, it looks bad enough in that shot to actually be jarring, like it doesn't belong.

It also looks like much of the game is similar to the N64 version in terms of polygon count. You can especially see that in some of the enemies.

Top Bottom