• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenus 2: White Gold & The Precursors |Double OT| Ukrainian Open World FPSRPG Heaven

After putting a few hours into Precusurs i can say thay i'm a fan :)

Its buggy, doesn't run as well as it should and the translation is as horribly funny as people have been saying, but its so ambitious in scope that you cant really hate on it.

here is a screen from the firs space station, this game has an amazing variaty when it comes to locations and NCP's

precursors2011-01-0823xmp8.jpg

EDIT

Actually i love this game :lol

I'm driving around the desert and i find this strange thing

12nwk.jpg

I speak to the man who seems to be in charge, and he tells me this

2x5ku.jpg

And these are my options

3knst.jpg

:lol

I respond with option 2. since it is awesome

Flunkie

Banned
Really getting into White Gold now. I really like it - I've learned to just pretend there's no weapon sounds at all and enjoy it for what it is. I'm enjoying it all except for the fact that I have no means of transportation now. I was going down a steep hill and my car crashed into a tree and is now immovable. So I'm running/walking everywhere! Yay.

I just got done with my second real "big" mission -
diving down to to the underground cave and rescuing the diver. That in itself was so badass - I want to mark this place for when I come back because there were so many locked chests there!

And diving for pearls could be a game in itself. So fucking awesome.

Game can be really beautiful; and while it's really bright and lush, but on sunny days it feels like there's too much light.

Some screens:

http://flunkie.imgur.com/xenus_2

HFKqm.jpg

Xenus 2 and Precursors...games of unbridled enthusiasm, glorious overextension and plenty of winks and nods!

EDIT: Just read a stopgap soundfix on the Deep Shadows forum! Change your sound options in the menu to 7.1 Surround - regardless of your setup - and apparently the issues go away! I just booted the game up, did just that, fired off a few rounds of my magnum and it was loud and proud!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Is there any way to turn off the noise (talking about graphics) in precursors? Its not as pronounced as Mass Effect or anything but its annoying.

I want to play both of these games (especially Precursors) but I'm holding out hope that people will mod/fix the problems people are talking about.

Linkzg said:
I want to play both of these games (especially Precursors) but I'm holding out hope that people will mod/fix the problems people are talking about.

If it's any consolation, Precursors is pretty sturdy out of the box.

Diggler

Anyone else find the mouse smoothing/acceleration insane in Precursors? I'm so up for this game, but these issues make it unplayable. It's insanely fast if you move the mouse normally, but sluggish as hell if you make tiny movements.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
electristan said:

Its buggy, doesn't run as well as it should and the translation is as horribly funny as people have been saying, but its so ambitious in scope that you cant really hate on it.

here is a screen from the firs space station, this game has an amazing variaty when it comes to locations and NCP's

http://www.abload.de/img/precursors2011-01-0823xmp8.jpg[IMG]

[I]EDIT[/I]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/12nwk.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/2x5ku.jpg[IMG]

And these are my options

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/3knst.jpg[IMG]

I respond with option 2. since it is awesome[/QUOTE]
Whelp, I'm convinced.

*pulls out wallet*

Flunkie

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
Xenus 2 and Precursors...games of unbridled enthusiasm, glorious overextension and plenty of winks and nods!

EDIT: Just read a stopgap soundfix on the Deep Shadows forum! Change your sound options in the menu to 7.1 Surround - regardless of your setup - and apparently the issues go away! I just booted the game up, did just that, fired off a few rounds of my magnum and it was loud and proud!
That helped me for two minutes longer than it usually works.. but then after awhile all weapons and NPC sound goes away.

sigh

Flunkie said:
That helped me for two minutes longer than it usually works.. but then after awhile all weapons and NPC sound goes away.

sigh

Damn, you could also try the strange suggestion of switching between windowed mode and fullscreen a few times. Works for some people, I read!

We'll get sound stability soon, Flunk. Mine comes and goes, too.

itxaka

Defeatist
electristan said:

[MG]http://www.abload.de/img/precursors2011-01-0823xmp8.jpg[/IMG]

EDIT

[IG]http://www.abload.de/img/12nwk.jpg[/IMG]

2x5ku.jpg

And these are my options

[IG]http://www.abload.de/img/3knst.jpg[/IMG]

I respond with option 2. since it is awesome

I need this game.

Flunkie

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
Damn, you could also try the strange suggestion of switching between windowed mode and fullscreen a few times. Works for some people, I read!

We'll get sound stability soon, Flunk. Mine comes and goes, too.
Yeah, I've been reading the same forums you have. Also had some flickering issues that I fixed with messing around with VIDEOOPTIONS.INI, but nothing works as far as sound issues go. Seems like there's quite a few having problems with the sound. It's good to know we're not the only ones. I guess until this gets sorted out, I can play The Precursors?!

How's Precursors working out for you, Last? I keep chaining all these side missions...I go to one place, get a mission that takes me a bit of a distance, find another mission on the way, and it goes on.

My shopping list is one hell of a long one!

PSZmy.png

2Ox2x.png

Found some big unmanned drilling rigs out in the desert after coming back from killing grave-desecrating miscreants for an old man. Someone's gotta civilise this harsh land! Precursors is one hell of a game.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Sorry for asking again, but does anyone know how to turn-off the damn noise? Its ruining the game for me. At least in Mass Effect we could turn it off.

I think kittoo means the film grain effect.

I have seen people say they have managed to turn it off , but i can find any instructions on how to do it. Any help would be great :)

I'm sure something will pop up. I can't say I've seen much of this film grain, but it might be the difference in video cards. Not sure.

Either way, I'm nabbing the Russian sound files from the Deep Shadows forum, so we'll see how it goes when applied over the English version.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
electristan said:
I think kittoo means the film grain effect.

I have seen people say they have managed to turn it off , but i can find any instructions on how to do it. Any help would be great :)

Yeah..the grain. Sorry for that. I had an incling that it was called something else but went ahead with noise.
Yeah the damn film grain effect. I hate it.

No weapon sound in WG, changing sound options did nothing at all. Am I supposed to be hearing NPC voices during dialogue too? Also is it just me or is the sensitivity all fucked up? Horizontal sensitivity is really low compared to vertical, and there isn't an option to change them independently.

kittoo said:
Yeah..the grain. Sorry for that. I had an incling that it was called something else but went ahead with noise.
Yeah the damn film grain effect. I hate it.
yeah, you can turn that off. at least one way is by setting DISABLESHADERMODEL30=1 in VIDEOOPTIONS.ini (the ini file in your c:\users\public\public documents\precursors\ini or similar folder, not in the games' own directory). there might be another way to switch it off aswell, but I've not found it yet. the only negative effect of turning that off I've seen so far is that it gives a bright outline to objects when they're over shadows. like a buggy, npcs or your gun. but shaders will probably suffer somehow aswell, I'm not noticing anything else yet.

precursors2011-01-0918mmki.jpg

[edit: actually no, it isn't turning this off causing this. it's always like this it seems, just that I had 6x aa turned on and that made it a lot more noticable. hehe]

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Dick Laurent said:
yeah, you can turn that off. at least one way is by setting DISABLESHADERMODEL30=1 in VIDEOOPTIONS.ini (the ini file in your c:\users\public\public documents\precursors\ini or similar folder, not in the games' own directory). there might be another way to switch it off aswell, but I've not found it yet. the only negative effect of turning that off I've seen so far is that it gives a bright outline to objects when they're over shadows. like a buggy, npcs or your gun. but shaders will probably suffer somehow aswell, I'm not noticing anything else yet.

Thanks! But as you yourself said, shaders might get affected as we are turning of Shader Model 3.0 (basically going to DirectX 8.1?). Damn!
Did you notice any worsening of quality as far as graphics are concerned, after doing this?

kittoo said:
Thanks! But as you yourself said, shaders might get affected as we are turning of Shader Model 3.0 (basically going to DirectX 8.1?). Damn!
Did you notice any worsening of quality as far as graphics are concerned, after doing this?
no, not really. but I'll look more at it later. and take some screenshots and compare on and off. everything else seems to look the same

Dick Laurent said:
no, not really. but I'll look more at it later. and take some screenshots and compare on and off. everything else seems to look the same

I gave it a try and it did seem to get rid of the film grain, but the performance for me got a good deal worse as well.

I's say give it a try yourself kittoo only takes a few seconds anyway.

On the plus side, the grain effect is not as pronounced on all the planets

1em06.jpg

2jmvw.jpg

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Thanks for the efforts Dick and Electristan. I will try it myself too. Lets see how it goes. Thanks!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Tried it. While in the city my frame rate remained absolutely the same with Shader Model 3 turned off and the film grain indeed went away, in jungle part my frame rate absolutely plummeted with SM 3 off. It went from 60 to 18!!!!!
Cant turn it off it seems. Ugly film grain has to stay until someone else finds some other method to turn it off, it seems.

hehe ok. wow. I didn't notice any framerate difference with it on or off. in fact I upped the aa to x6 while it was off and thought the framerate seemed better than before :lol

bengraven

SHIT! I applied the patch, backed up the resources file and yet all my non-spoken dialogue is still in Russian. Any help? I tried finding an English>Russian resources file but it didn't work.

Playing White Gold right now. It's fun, but I can't figure out what anyone wants me to do. And I need to pick up some lockpicks. :(

Edit: might have found it here http://board.deep-shadows.com/index.php?showtopic=1177&st=40&p=7198&#entry7198.

I'm hoping it works because after this I may pick up Precursors.

bengraven

Okay, I also figured out that the small boxes are lootable and have lockpicks in them.

This game rocks. Just bought Precursors now, and downloading.

And here I had homework to do tonight....

Using the GRP Unpacker right now in order to slot in NPC dialogue and all the ambience sounds! If you guys want to check it out, go to the Deep Shadows forum for further details, but for the moment...

Deep Shadows Forum Guide

Russian Sound Files (split zip file)
Part 01
Part 02

GRP Unpacker

And in case you need the Main.fat file if yours gets replaced with the Russian one.

Using those Russian files and grp unpacker, you convert English version to have both Russian voiceovers and dubbed cutscenes in English.

1) First, use grp unpacker, you can find here in forums, to unpack all English grp files (very slow process). Unfortunatelly, you can't select to unpack just some files but need to do everything.

2) Then, from unpacked files copy only SOUNDS\CUTSCENES folder to your precursor folder (make SOUNDS folder in game installation folder, then copy CUTSCENES folder there)

3) At the end, replace English main.fat and gf_sounds.grp sound with those files from Russian version.

And that's it. Essentially, unpacked files are used by the game engine as an override, so they'll be used over packed files, if they are present.

Is there a specific post in this thread that details how to patch the English version? Also, does it improve any? The patch notes seem somewhat small...

bengraven

Pylon_Trooper said:
Using the GRP Unpacker right now in order to slot in NPC dialogue and all the ambience sounds! If you guys want to check it out, go to the Deep Shadows forum for further details, but for the moment...

Deep Shadows Forum Guide

Russian Sound Files (split zip file)
Part 01
Part 02

GRP Unpacker

And in case you need the Main.fat file if yours gets replaced with the Russian one.

Let me make sure I'm understanding this, because your post is somewhat unreadable at first. (likely my fault, I'm nose deep in books and taking a 10 minute break from them)

This will allow ambient noises and more NPC dialogue? Because the game is kind of dull when it comes to sounds.

Also, the Forum Guide link looks busted.

bengraven said:
Let me make sure I'm understanding this, because your post is somewhat unreadable at first. (likely my fault, I'm nose deep in books and taking a 10 minute break from them)

This will allow ambient noises and more NPC dialogue? Because the game is kind of dull when it comes to sounds.

Also, the Forum Guide link looks busted.

The forum appears to be down for me, too. Essentially, the Russian sound files get inserted into your installed English copy. English voices for cutscenes remain there, but where there was silence before in regards to NPC dialogue, now they'll have Russian voices.

Also, a lot more ambient noise is injected, and allegedly, any sound glitches are fixed up. Mine is still unpacking via the GRP Unpacker program, but I'll let you know how it goes.

bengraven

Are there any hostile wildlife in this game, White Gold? I haven't met up with any, though I was told there would be barracuda by that wreck in the intro village.

It really reminds me of Far Cry 2, but I remember thinking that FC2 would have been my GOTY of 2008 had there been lions or crocs in it.

I'll just accept dangerous wildlife for now.

Pylon_Trooper said:
The forum appears to be down for me, too. Essentially, the Russian sound files get inserted into your installed English copy. English voices for cutscenes remain there, but where there was silence before in regards to NPC dialogue, now they'll have Russian voices.

Also, a lot more ambient noise is injected, and allegedly, any sound glitches are fixed up. Mine is still unpacking via the GRP Unpacker program, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Awesome. I was running around that first village thinking that it was very dead for being a bustling fishing village. Maybe a strange rooster crow here and there and the sound of waves, but nothing else.

The voices I didn't realize or let it bother me. I was assuming this was like Stalker where the majority would be un-voiced. I can accept more RU voices, just to fill space in the sound.

Well, just to make it clear, this unpacker and the sound files are for Precursors, not White Gold. Undoubtedly, there'll be some sound files or a mod-installer for the Russian NPCs in White Gold soon enough.

bengraven

Pylon_Trooper said:
Well, just to make it clear, this unpacker and the sound files are for Precursors, not White Gold. Undoubtedly, there'll be some sound files or a mod-installer for the Russian NPCs in White Gold soon enough.

Oh.

Well.

fuck

Flunkie

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
Surely there will be a similar patch/fix/whatever for White Gold, eh? Eh?!

I'd imagine so. Apparently there are some slight conflicts between the two versions, but something good should come out of it. Lots of buzz going on in the right circles on the net, it seems.

Top Bottom