• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 4 min. gameplay

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dark10x said:
Motion blur. That is a HUGE thing to leave out as it completely transformed the look of the animation.

The large, overstated animations Insomniac tends to go for lends itself very well to proper motion blur and the VGA trailer proved this. The actual game footage ends up looking quite a bit less impressive in motion without it.
I agree with you on the motion blur. One of the few effects that really can change the entire look of a game for the better. I bet the engine isn't quite optimized yet so they took it out for the purpose of the demo to maintain a steady framerate. The VGA trailer was probably able to support it at the certain times when they were capturing. I have faith that it'll be back in by the time this comes out.

//B1G

Banned
Always-honest said:
same price
Figure of speech.

But I mean that though. Killzone does the subject-matter better; sci-fi shooter, the guns, graphics and gameplay better, etc. Only thing this probably beats Killzone in is story, although I wouldn't know for sure as I haven't played either of the previous games. Killzone's arcs are aweful though.

It does set the standard for console shooter to me though. Nothing else does it better from a literal video game's standpoint

//B1G said:
Figure of speech.

But I mean that though. Killzone does the subject-matter better; sci-fi shooter, the guns and graphics better, etc. Only thing this probably beats Killzone in is story, although I wouldn't know for sure as I haven't played either of the previous games. Killzone's arcs are aweful though

Better weapons, kick ass monster designs, monsters, better weapons, MONSTERS. Chest-thumping monsters, no less.

Resistance 3 will rock. KZ3 will be the sequel to KZ2.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
TrAcEr_x90 said:
I just hope every level isnt that brown and dusky. I looooved the look and feel of the forest in 2. Just minus those stupid invisible enemies! weapons seem a ton better. I dont know if they are closer to eye level or just bigger overall. But the guns in 2 seemed so not threatening at all.

no. I think every level looks very different, to be honest in terms of coloring and tone, yet the game feels incredibly cohesive. Grant, the R3 art director, and his team have been doing a stellar job.

this is a dusty, ruined town junkyard/town square, in the middle of a terraformer caused wind storm, of course it's brown and dusty and muddy. we can go in completely different directions (as the boat demo / VGA / GI story showed) yet still feel like it's very much apart of the R3 world.

jstevenson said:
no. I think every level looks very different, to be honest in terms of coloring and tone, yet the game feels incredibly cohesive. Grant, the R3 art director, and his team have been doing a stellar job.

this is a dusty, ruined town junkyard/town square, in the middle of a terraformer caused wind storm, of course it's brown and dusty and muddy. we can go in completely different directions (as the boat demo / VGA / GI story showed) yet still feel like it's very much apart of the R3 world.
don't forget to have some ratchet/clank items to dress up the characters in MP ^_^

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
DMPrince said:
don't forget to have some ratchet/clank items to dress up the characters in MP ^_^

not saying that specifically.

but to folks saying we're just listening to critics all over again, I think that's not true. We're drawing on the best from both games while also making desicions that are for the best for R3. for instance, not straight up using RFOM or R2's health system. Not going back to the total run-and-gun of RFOM. Adding an upgrade system.

MP will be a lot more of this too. Mixing our favorite things from both games. but more on that later

thuway

jstevenson said:

but to folks saying we're just listening to critics all over again, I think that's not true. We're drawing on the best from both games while also making desicions that are for the best for R3. for instance, not straight up using RFOM or R2's health system. Not going back to the total run-and-gun of R2. Adding an upgrade system.

MP will be a lot more of this too. Mixing our favorite things from both games. but more on that later
Fuck I love you guys :).

Violater

Give me a Manchester Cathedral remake for the online
Overall none of the MP maps in R2 were in the least bit memorable.

Tone down the red jelly all over the screen when being shot in MP

Ashes

Banned
One thing that I think is outstanding:
The trees. Give the person who thought of that and the people who made it work, a raise.

One thing that lets the whole segment down.
Run around, and kill the bad guy. It's generic as fuck. Good level, bad gameplay to show.
I think what would have worked is for something outstanding to happen, *gameplay* wise.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ashes1396 said:
One thing that I think is outstanding:
The trees. Give the person who thought of that and the people who made it work, a raise.

One thing that lets the whole segment down.
Run around, and kill the bad guy. It's generic as fuck. Good level, bad gameplay to show.
I think what would have worked is for something outstanding to happen, *gameplay* wise.

The trees/stop signs are indeed awesome *backslap*

It is a shooter, it's also the first major area of the game. So bear with us a bit. :). This is a big battle, but there will be slower/tenser moments too.

RobertM said:
I see the iron sight is actually useful now, glad that was fixed.

Yeah, all are proper iron sights now. chimeran iron sights are particularly cool.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jstevenson said:

but to folks saying we're just listening to critics all over again, I think that's not true. We're drawing on the best from both games while also making desicions that are for the best for R3. for instance, not straight up using RFOM or R2's health system. Not going back to the total run-and-gun of RFOM. Adding an upgrade system.

This is awesome to hear. I actually enjoyed R2 more than RFoM but I thought that some the mechanics of RFoM could have made a better game than R2 if implemented a bit better and not suffering from launch day rushing. From what I've seen/heard about R3 it looks like it'll be the definitive Resistance by a long shot. Adding the R&C style upgrade system actually has me really excited. Resistance is one of the best universes in FPS today and it's good to see that a lot of what I love about the atmosphere and everything is really being focused on in R3. This is my most anticipated FPS this year.

jstevenson said:

It is a shooter, it's also the first major area of the game. So bear with us a bit. :). This is a big battle, but there will be slower/tenser moments too.

Yeah, all are proper iron sights now. chimeran iron sights are particularly cool.
why did you guys choose to ditch the Resistance 2 coop? It was my favorite part of resistance 2 and made it stand out from other FPSs.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
fuzzyreactor said:
why did you guys choose to ditch the Resistance 2 coop? It was my favorite part of resistance 2 and made it stand out from other FPSs.

Focus. Really a matter of resources and wanting to make sure the campaign and MP were as good as possible.

Ashes

Banned
jstevenson said:

What stop signs? Gonna need time stamps for that.

I was referring to the trees rustling in the wind. It was a moment of how shall I put it... serene realness in a game..? Like the breathing cold air part at the beginning of MGS 1, and the snow part, I guess, in Resistance 1. I know it has no impact on gameplay... but sometimes some people enjoy the smaller things in life.

edit: stop sign: 2:17... lol! Who in their right mind is gona notice that. :)
edit: okay, colour me impressed at 2:35! stops sign ftw!

jstevenson said:
Focus. Really a matter of resources and wanting to make sure the campaign and MP were as good as possible.
Understandable. do you think the team will ever dig back into the FPS/MMO crossbreed. Id really love to see a fully developed title in that sense. R2 was such a tease. Prob cant answer that tho....

:(

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
jstevenson said:

This sounds awesome. How much can you say about the orginization and layout of the party system? Also how about the medals? I know they were there in R2, but it definitely didn't look as nice or feel quite as rewarding as the first resistance. Either way this looks great so far :).

Seventy5

This game looks awesome to me. I really hope the gunplay is back to R:FoM though. I just picked it up again today and man is it different from every other shooter we're being force fed these days. I went through the first two levels without using iron sights once. It's way more arcadey and fun than the CoDified crap everyone else is doing. I'm happy you guys are doing something epic with the story, but my only wish for R3 is that it retains the fun level from FoM. Day 1 for me (just like every Insomniac game since the first R&C).

jstevenson said:

One of the few good things about R2 imo was the variety of locations imo. If thats any indication for how R3 will be, then its going to be great! :D

Im really digging the red splash around the health meter when hit, its a cool way of tackling the damage indication instead of splooging red from all corners all over the screen most of the time.

-viper-

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
Agree, the lack of recoil is my biggest objection.
Resistance never ever had recoil.

They should do how it's handled in Halo Reach. There isn't really any recoil but the X-Hairs go big when you hold the trigger.

Rolf NB

jstevenson said:
Is it safe to assume that you're putting your focus on the areas that were most actively played?

R2 coop is godlike

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Rolf NB said:
Is it safe to assume that you're putting your focus on the areas that were most actively played?

R2 coop is godlike
What he meant is that Campaign CoOp is like shooting two birds with one stone, because all the leveles,balance,enemies,scripts,QA work for two modes : Single Player and Campaign Co Op.
For a Resistance 2 CoOp mode you would need new scripts,maps,balance,QA,etc,etc.
Its a lot of work. (They bit more than they could chew with R2)

I friggin' love R2 CoOp but i understand their decision from a production point of view.

EDIT: Sorry for my english V_V
EDIT: Is it 'Bit' or 'Bite' ?

Cornbread78

Looking very nice, you can tell they listened to everything and did take the best from R1 and R2 to help make this game. I actually really like the tracer touch they added to the Bullseye, I hope they can inpliment some kind of notification that you have effectively "tagged" your opponant as well, or offer some kind of way to be untagged by shacking your DS3 or something like that. Little touch, but would be great. I can't friggen' wait to get my hands on this a little. Anyword on any kind of MP beta anytime soon?

Rolf NB

Fersis said:
What he meant is that Campaign CoOp is like shooting two birds with one stone, because all the leveles,balance,enemies,scripts,QA work for two modes : Single Player and Campaign Co Op.
For a Resistance 2 CoOp mode you would need new scripts,maps,balance,QA,etc,etc.
Its a lot of work. (They bit more than they could chew with R2)

I friggin' love R2 CoOp but i understand their decision from a production point of view.

EDIT: Sorry for my english V_V
EDIT: Is it 'Bit' or 'Bite' ?
The verb is bite, but the past tense is bit. You're doing fine.

I see what you're trying to say. Some of it was really glitchy. I remember when boss enemies would get stuck in walls, or simply stand around doing nothing, then get changed to another type from one patch to the next. Fun times. I just hope they expand on that idea in some form, maybe as DLC or as a separate (PSN) release or something. It would be a shame to just abandon it.

As far as battles go, I think the thing I would like to see is enemies that are more intelligent and able to prioritize targets, use cover, work as a unit and be aware of their health (like the elites in halo would hide to regen their sheilds). Now that the queens are dead and primarchs are the order of the day, squads with a command heirarchy should work well. The primarch or commander should be a more cautious and powerful member of the squad, but other squad members should not (edited) be fodder. In this way you can have epic tense fights with fewer enemies. We got something like this in R2, but enemies were either nothing more than fodder, or they would just rush you.

I like the idea of arena type areas where you and your team have to manage your areas of control, where a sense of scale can easily be accomplished but the player can still feel claustrophobic, and where enemies can come from any and every direction without it feeling like waves of mindless meat to mow down. I want to feel like I am playing a game of cat and mouse, where one moment I can feel super powerful and then immediately feel like the roles have reversed. This is what attracts me to games like Halo and the online of Bad Company 2, but the diversity of enemy types in the Resistance universe, if presented right, could be a whole new level.

With that said, I thought I was really burnt out on the franchise after R2, yet here I am excited for every detail I can get my hands on. Looks great JS, thanks for keeping us informed.

All I ask for is improved characterization and narrative. I've said it, quite literally, about 328904792 times but the characters (especially Daedalus) were so poorly utilized in R2 it should have been illegal. I can honestly say I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of playing as another Project Abraham participant but we shall see.

I have enough respect for Insomniac as a developer that I'm willing to give them a chance again.

I'm a sucker for visual upgrades on weaponry; is this confirmed? EG, a longer/thicker magazine present if you buy more ammo for the carbine or whatever.

Corto

R2 co-op was too good to throw it out the window like that. I'm sure they will revisit it, maybe on their multi-plat title? Here's hoping. And mandatory: dibs on the medic.

WretchedTruman said:
I'm a sucker for visual upgrades on weaponry; is this confirmed? EG, a longer/thicker magazine present if you buy more ammo for the carbine or whatever.
Bioshock did that very nicely. When you found a Power to the People Machine, the gun would get extra pipes or parts on it to show the upgrades. I wouldn't have minded that kind of hand-wrought look for the guns of Resistance either.

BobTheFork said:
Bioshock did that very nicely. When you found a Power to the People Machine, the gun would get extra pipes or parts on it to show the upgrades. I wouldn't have minded that kind of hand-wrought look for the guns of Resistance either.

Precisely what I had in mind and, if I recall correctly, this was detailed in an interview a while back for Resistance 3. Got me very intrigued.

Cyberia

We did die plenty of times before we managed it though, as the Chimera take more shots to kill than in the previous installments, and it also doesn't help that their weapons hit really hard.

There is also a new weapon level system that powers up guns as the player accumulates kills. Reaching level two with the Marksman rewarded us with explosive rounds that came in handy when larger Chimera started appearing in Haven.

Resistance 3 is clearly shaping up well, but the visuals at this stage were clearly incomplete: containing jaggies and an odd blurring effect whenever Capelli runs, obscuring the action considerably. Combat also felt scrappy, but we'll give Insomniac the benefit of the doubt here. What we played so far has served as an intriguing taster of what's to come.

http://ps3.nowgamer.com/previews/ps3/1424/resistance-3?o=1#listing

-PXG-

I know it's not fair to judge a game by such an early build, but man, that did NOTHING for me. The wind and particle effects were nice. The UI and weapon designs are good. The gun play, however, looked boring and stale as hell. And that friendly AI? Damn...

They could have chosen a better scenario, especially since this is the first time game play is being shown. I would have preferred some kind of "point A to point B" segment instead of an ambush in tight area. Oh well.

AAK

//B1G said:
Is it me or does this just seem like a poor man's Killzone?

The Chimera make Helghast look like school girls and the guns in Resistance make Killzone weapons look like Pea shooters.

Resistance looks way more entertaining.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
//B1G said:
Is it me or does this just seem like a poor man's Killzone?
Killzone is a poor man's Resistance.

//B1G said:
Figure of speech.

But I mean that though. Killzone does the subject-matter better; sci-fi shooter, the guns, graphics and gameplay better, etc. Only thing this probably beats Killzone in is story, although I wouldn't know for sure as I haven't played either of the previous games. Killzone's arcs are aweful though.

It does set the standard for console shooter to me though. Nothing else does it better from a literal video game's standpoint
i can enjoy them both for what they are.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
jstevenson said:

If you'll listen to my small critic: Will you be improving the animations? I feel they look a bit ...umm...fast-ish and not that smooth. Something feels a bit off with them. Can't quite describe it. Maybe the people and monsters lack a certain kind of weight, so the animations end up looking unnatural. Otherwise I like the look of the game.

Darkatomz

Playing the KZ3 beta last night made me realize how much I'm actually looking forward to this game.

As long as IG can find some happy medium between what R1 and R2 was, I think I'll be a lot more satisfied with the result than what's going on in Killzone right now. Of course, if James and his people decide to lean more towards the likeness of the first game, then I'd be a lot more happy :)

I'm really hoping that gameplay and trailer get a proper HD release. Don't really want to critique it with what we got so far.

//B1G said:
Figure of speech.

Umm... yeah, it doesnt. I would take RFOM story, weapons, and monsters any day over KZ2...

Top Bottom