• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 4 min. gameplay

madmook

I like the slower, heavier feel of the gunplay. R1's faster-paced arcade-like feeling was alright and done well, but I personally prefer the slower tactical style.

DAY FUCKING ONE.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It looks incredible. It's going to be so difficult this year with Killzone, Resistance and Uncharted. Lots of online shooters to consider.

Yeah I'm just really not feeling it. The gunplay seems to have evolved nicely from the step back of Resistance 2 but...I don't know, it just doesnt seem as polished or fluid as Killzone 3. This is the first we've seen of the game in motion, I think, so I'll certainly hold judgement until I've seen more.

We shall see.

msdstc said:
It looks incredible. It's going to be so difficult this year with Killzone, Resistance and Uncharted. Lots of online shooters to consider.

Sigh...the lack of hype for Brink is disappointing. It looks more interesting than any other FPS coming out this year.

With that said, this R3 vid looked pretty good.

StuBurns

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Sigh...the lack of hype for Brink is disappointing. It looks more interesting than any other FPS coming out this year.

With that said, this R3 vid looked pretty good.
Although Brink looks incredible, the way they're doing the single player is going to put off a ton of people, myself included.

StuBurns said:
Although Brink looks incredible, the way they're doing the single player is going to put off a ton of people, myself included.

I guess if you're one of those "exclusively singleplayer mode, and separate multiplayer mode" type of people, I could see Brink not really appealing, but the game looks so damn good on all fronts. IMO, it has by far the biggest chance to do something different in the FPS market.

But this is a Resistance thread so I'll stop here.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
The new environment animations are great. Really makes it feel alive. The new AI behavior and death animations are great too, as is the use of physics.

I usually never complain about this, but this game really is brown :). Hopefully that changes up a bit as you play. Another minor grip is the lack of self shadows on the characters (enemies).

Gameplay wise it looks fantastic. What they've done to all the weapons comletely work for me. Your allies and the enemies move really well.

Great clip!! Looking forward to more.

Looks very good. Hectic, chaotic & organic action & environments.

Not a fan of the revolver shooting & reloading animation. Also the models look a bit wooden in parts.

Violater

One good thing about the series,
It has not been a predominant corridor shooter like most FPS.
Enemies coming at you from all angles as well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Defuser said:
Damn,they really remodel the weapons. I can't recognized the Carbine,Marksmen,Auger,Bullseye and the Magnum.
Some part of me says that's a bad thing :lol I really loved the Bullseye design ._.

sun-drop

i just WISH resistance would fix the way the gun is held in these shooters, needs to be less down the barrel when not in iron sight mode ...

Maffis

Urgh.

This, Crysis 2 and Killzone 3. Too many decent looking shooters coming up. I'm afraid I will get really burned out now.

nib95

Banned
That looked surprisingly good. But I did have low expectations. My only real complaints are that the weapons still sound a bit feeble and the big gorilla enemy at the end was lacking in creativity. Should have had more to him imo. Unless it is just a gorilla induced with Chimeran genes lol.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I am genuinely surprised at how great this game looks. I really didn't think Insomniac had it in them to deliver visuals and atmosphere of this caliber. Best wind effect ever? Probably. For all the love R1 got here, I only moderately enjoyed the game and never replayed it. R2 I still didn't even try playing and who knows if I ever will. This looks like what R1 should have been, an actual full realization of the original vision.

Erasus

This makes me want to re-buy R1. I have R2 and was a bit dissapointed but its not as horrible as everyone seem to think.

This however looks like R1 with much better graphics. I love the particle effects!

Grenade throws look improved from R2 but still need to be a bit quicker.

madmook said:
I like the slower, heavier feel of the gunplay. R1's faster-paced arcade-like feeling was alright and done well, but I personally prefer the slower tactical style.

DAY FUCKING ONE.

I say if you want slow play Killzone.

This has been said so many times but I think Insomniac should have stuck with everything that made Rfom Rfom.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Maffis said:
Urgh.

This, Crysis 2 and Killzone 3. Too many decent looking shooters coming up. I'm afraid I will get really burned out now.

And Rage!

Erasus said:
This makes me want to re-buy R1. I have R2 and was a bit dissapointed but its not as horrible as everyone seem to think.

This however looks like R1 with much better graphics. I love the particle effects!

R2 actually scored better than R1 in the media. It just seems in hindsight that people may have overrated it at first? I certainly really enjoyed R1 but couldn't bring myself to finish R2 (got 2/3rds way through).

Dennis

Banned
This looks surprisingly good. Hated R2 but looks like I have to add a new Dudebro game to the list of games to get.

Maffis said:

I don't know why but I am by far most interested in Resistance 3. Must be the setting. Killzone 3 and Rage don't do anything for me. Crysis might be a try.

Will R3 feature move support?

Watched again. Great. Exactly like i'd want Resistance to be. Maybe a tad faster in movement and health could be displayed in another way. My plasma hates hud items.

Arena gameplay, fine, that has always been in Resistance and there will be other levels and gameplay too. Colors, fine, reminds me of Resistance one and it's cloudy. I'm sure the game will have more vibrant colours when it's sunny..
Weapon wheel, JAY.

onken

Wow, weapons wheel and no regenerating health, refreshing. Looks great too, skipped number 2 but will probably pick this up.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
in terms of questions about whether or not stuff is final - we're still a ways out (7 months to street date) - and this is polish time. So some stuff will be tweaked, feedback from press and ya'll will be considered. Some of the stuff folks have discussed is on our radar.

Raist

Banned
Watched the video again. And again.
Something's vastly different from the first video but I can't tell exactly what. Overall I'm way less impressed. But maybe it\s just because of the setting. Although the chimera's animation doesn't look as good.
Quite happy about the gameplay changes tho. Oh and I don't know wtf are people talking about. HUD isn't intrusive at all.

jstevenson said:
in terms of questions about whether or not stuff is final - we're still a ways out (7 months to street date) - and this is polish time. So some stuff will be tweaked, feedback from press and ya'll will be considered. Some of the stuff folks have discussed is on our radar.
Great, but so far so good. It really looks and feels like an improved Resistance.
I'm very curious to the other sections of the game.

Yoboman

I thought the video lacked the awesome exploding enemies in the first video, but the action is just moving really fast, you can see a lot of the same stuff from the first video occurring. I love the movement of the jumping chimera

yencid

Yoboman said:
I thought the video lacked the awesome exploding enemies in the first video, but the action is just moving really fast, you can see a lot of the same stuff from the first video occurring. I love the movement of the jumping chimera
the exploding enemies are there o.o Its just harder to see because of the color scheme for this section

Thrakier

Imo it seems like a strange mixture between arcade and "sim". But it's neither of both. It shoud be either a bit slower and heavier or quite a bit quicker.

EDIT:

Also it looks like R2 with different effects and color scheme. Don't think it's on par witz KZ3 and UC2.

BatmanX

Raist said:
Watched the video again. And again.
Something's vastly different from the first video but I can't tell exactly what. Overall I'm way less impressed. But maybe it\s just because of the setting. Although the chimera's animation doesn't look as good.
Quite happy about the gameplay changes tho. Oh and I don't know wtf are people talking about. HUD isn't intrusive at all.

Exactly my feelings. Is it me or this location is way too yellowish respect of the last boat footage? This reminds me more of Resistance 2 and that's not good :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, the E3 teaser featured object motion blur ala Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 but that appears to be missing at this time. Hopefully they do actually implement it in the final game as it makes a world of difference.

Other than that, it's look pretty good. Weapon animation still seems a bit off to me, but it's better.

It's definitely the lack object motion blur.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i like that the marksman seems cobbled together from repurposed chimera tech. its a nice atmosphere touch.

The weapons still looks like it doesn't have much of a kick. Maybe make the weapon respond to every shot, even if it's visual will help give the impression that it's powerful.

Massa

dark10x said:
Hmm, the E3 teaser featured object motion blur ala Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 but that appears to be missing at this time. Hopefully they do actually implement it in the final game as it makes a world of difference.

Other than that, it's look pretty good. Weapon animation still seems a bit off to me, but it's better.

It's definitely the lack object motion blur.

There was no E3 teaser. They showed a live action trailer at Gamescom and a gameplay video at the VGA's.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Massa said:
There was no E3 teaser. They showed a live action trailer at Gamescom and a gameplay video at the VGA's.
Meh, it's been a while. The VGA teaser then. Come on, though, there's only been a single video with real footage prior to this, you knew what I was referring to.

Yoboman

The weapons seemed to have a lot more kick in the earlier video, you could hear the gun effects and they seemed powerful. In the new video you can't hear the guns at all and the recoil is so low

Yoboman said:
The weapons seemed to have a lot more kick in the earlier video, you could hear the gun effects and they seemed powerful. In the new video you can't hear the guns at all and the recoil is so low
yeah, i was wondering if it was just this video. The weapons lack that kick.

Top Bottom