• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Single Player Demo released on PSN (for everyone)

Rikyfree

TTP said:
Anyone played the SP demo coop yet? What happens to the second player during the jetpack section? That's the only section you play without Rico so I'm wondering what the other player does in coop.

Yeah I'm too lazy to check this out myself right now :D
I have. Rico is not your partner on the on foot stuff. It's Natko. And he gets a jetpack also.

HankToms

metareferential said:
Ok, here's mine. Quote to see account info

Have fun! And if you get disconnected, just wait. There's someone trying to download xD

You don't need to complete the DL; just start and disconnect, it will continue anyway.

EDIT: corrected the email.

thanks for this, i missed my chance of d/ling earlier. do I have to deactivate the account after i start the download?

Rikyfree

Mailenstein said:
Protip: learn to read.
I said "the fact that the enemy can still eat up a whole magazine is plain annoying". This is not about headshots and neither I said it takes me a whole magazine to kill an enemy. Seriously...
You're exaggerating. It takes me only a few shots to kill an enemy on even elite. Maybe about 6-10 at most. That is less than a third of a magazine.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Reposting for new page:

QUOTE TO SEE ACCOUNT INFO TO GRAB DEMO

If anyone wants the demo, the demo is still in my download history, which makes me believe anyone can grab it. Quote this message to see the account info. Do not repost account info anywhere else. I don't give a fuck if I lose the account, I just want to help GAFFERS out.

Cheers :)

If you're clueless, make a new user account on your PS3, sign up for PSN and create an existing PSN account. Use the account info above, login, go to the store and view the download list. Download and play.

HankToms said:
thanks for this, i missed my chance of d/ling earlier. do I have to deactivate the account after i start the download?

Don't deactivate, just logout.

For the new page as well: quote to see account info

StuBurns

Banned
metareferential said:
Ok, here's mine. Quote to see account info

Have fun! And if you get disconnected, just wait. There's someone trying to download xD

You don't need to complete the DL; just start and disconnect, it will continue anyway.

EDIT: corrected the email.
Awesome, thank you.

cgcg

It takes 7 bullets to down an enemy in Veteran mode. With decent aim you can put that many bullets in under 1.5 seconds. Frankly anyone complaining about that in an elevated difficulty level is just being idiotic or may be should just play easy mode.

graphics are nuts, i think i do actually like the new movement feel. I played a ton of killzone 2, but I'm liking the faster gameplay. I did notice some framerate hiccups in cutscenes. Usually that stuff doesnt bother me that much, but it was pretty noticeable.

RaphaCWB

Neo Member
Wario64 said:
Reposting for new page:

If anyone wants the demo, the demo is still in my download history, which makes me believe anyone can grab it. Quote this message to see the account info. Do not repost account info anywhere else. I don't give a fuck if I lose the account, I just want to help GAFFERS out.

Cheers :)

If you're clueless, make a new user account on your PS3, sign up for PSN and create an existing PSN account. Use the account info above, login, go to the store and view the download list. Download and play.

thanks man, downloading. :)

nib95

Banned
Ok, so just finished the demo. Had a lot of fun with it tbh. Whilst the beginning on rails segments looked fantastic, they were a bit generic. Wish you could do a bit more than just point and shoot. More strategy in what you're shooting perhaps?

Anyway, AI, variety in gameplay (jetpack, rocket launchers etc), level design (lots of vertical gameplay) and sound effects were all brilliant. The visuals were mind blowing. There was one issue though, I thought there was minor shimmering or a weird form of jaggies, but not actual jaggies on certain objects or cabling? In the end, I decided it might have been because the game was TOO sharp? I usually play everything on my Kuro at -5 sharpness, but this was the first game I dropped it all the way down to -15 and it still looked crisp.

Anyway, for all the talk, the VA was actually alright, in a typical soldiers sort of way. I was amused at Sev's British accent at the end.

The menu design and menu music is fantastic, and the trailer at the end got me hyped. Main complaint lies in audio syncing. Something about it just doesn't click, and audio effects during cut scenes just seem to pop in from time to time instead of transitioning smoothly.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
nib95 said:
Anyway, AI, variety in gameplay (jetpack, rocket launchers etc), level design (lots of vertical gameplay) and sound effects were all brilliant. The visuals were mind blowing. There was one issue though, I thought there was minor shimmering or a weird form of jaggies, but not actual jaggies on certain objects or cabling? In the end, I decided it might have been because the game was TOO sharp? I usually play everything on my Kuro at -5 sharpness, but this was the first game I dropped it all the way down to -15 and it still looked crisp.
The shimmering is an artifact caused by MLAA with certain lighting conditions. It's pretty much MLAA's only downside on PS3.

Smokey

I played through the demo for a 2nd time this time using Move controls. Didn't like it at first but then I got a little more used to it and had some fun. I don't like how I have to point the move at the end of the bounding box to turn the camera though, that bothered me. I see great potential with KZ3 and Move, I just need to mess with it some more. On that note, can someone provide me with optimal Move settings for KZ3? That would be great and a big help.

Kind of bummed to see that I still could carry only one gun (and the obligatory pistol) + sometimes a special gun (the artillery-rocket thing).

Played it on the second difficulty level, it was entertaining. I need to get used to the controls because I've been playing Resistance: FoM and Bioshock and this game controls a bit different.

I liked it. Hopefully we get an online co-op patch down the line.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I just decapitated a Helghast with the Hig assault rifle. Was that even possible in KZ2 with anything other then the shotgun or sniper rifle?
You could do it with an LMG too. No assault rifles though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Smokey said:
I played through the demo for a 2nd time this time using Move controls. Didn't like it at first but then I got a little more used to it and had some fun. I don't like how I have to point the move at the end of the bounding box to turn the camera though, that bothered me. I see great potential with KZ3 and Move, I just need to mess with it some more. On that note, can someone provide me with optimal Move settings for KZ3? That would be great and a big help.

Width - 0
Height - 30
Cursor sensitivity - 40 or 50
Turn speed - 70 or 80
no assist
hold
hold

About the issue you are having with camera control, I suggest a different "mental" approach to it. Don't look at the cursor but just flick your wrist left or right. Don't be afraid to "over-turn" as the camera stop system they have got there deals with it pretty well.

Massa

Smokey said:

I use 0/0/40/60. Disable all assists and on the calibration screen I set the sensitivity two notches up from 0.

Edit: You should definitely try TTP's settings first. ;)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Got the demo from HK store, and yeah, other than just slightly above KZ2 level of facial animation in cutscenes, the visuals are completely mind blowingingly great here. Hard not to be hugely impressed by this even after seeing the latest crop of PC games. Everything is super detailed, animated placed believably in the world. Everything has been set above KZ2, and by a large margin at that, even art direction when it comes to use of color (which felt forced at times in KZ2, while here it really looks like the integral part of the world). The trailer at the end even shows that the evil guys animate notably better than Rico and Sev, so it looks like they got better in that area as well.

I played through it with Move first and then with controller second time. I had no problems playing with either, but I liked shooting parts better with Move, and walking around parts better with controller. Default move settings as other have said are pretty crap. I had to set the dead zones to 0 and 10, and then it started working great. It's really enjoyable to shoot with Move in this game, not only it gives you so much more precision, but it makes it closer to the action of aiming an actual weapon. Small problem is that move controls seem to become more sensitive while in jetpack, and then go back to normal when you lose it. Overall, I think I enjoyed playing it with move more, but if someone was watching me play, I think they'd prefer to watch it being played with controller as it's less jittery and more 'directed' if that makes any sense. Also, they should really give an option to change that bright yellow move pointer into a more neutral one like what's being used with controller. It's so jarring that I tried disabling pointer altogether, but that strangely made it more difficult to even move around.

Best of all, all of the gameplay in the demo was really fun, and it was quite varied in both of what you were supposed to do, and how you could go about doing it. Very happy with that.

Smokey said:
On that note, can someone provide me with optimal Move settings for KZ3? That would be great and a big help.
I did 0, 10, 40, 60, no assist, hold, hold and that worked great after a few minutes of getting the hang of it. Maybe I should have increased 10 to 20-30 now that I think about it - the aim was going up/down accidentally while walking around more than I wanted.

nib95

Banned
Ok, playing the demo again, I swear GG must have some sharpening on this game or something. It is exceptionally detailed. Some of the textures.

I have to play it at zero sharpness or I can see slight halo'ing. Never had this before with a game, where usually a tiny bit of sharpness make it look more detailed without any obvious edge enhancement. Here any edge enhancement at all is noticeable. very strange.

Loving the demo, I now remember why I loved KZ2 so much. There's this sense of tactility and visceral punch you get with KZ games that just doesn't exist elsewhere. The AI is a joy, seriously awesome. Seen them pull some pretty smart moves, and everything generally feels very polished and smooth. The recoil is definitely still there. Especially with the Helghan weapon which I had to fire in bursts or else I was at least a foot above the Helghan heads. Have a feeling I'm going to be impressed with the full game.

Wario64 said:
Reposting for new page:

Thanks a lot!!!

reKon

Banned
there should be a map with 100 modified jet packs where you you can hover for 5x longer and dog fight each other in the sky. the level would be made up of hundreds of platforms/rocks scattered on the ocean

Rikyfree

reKon said:
there should be a map with 100 modified jet packs where you you can hover for 5x longer and dog fight each other in the sky. the level would be made up of hundreds of platforms/rocks scattered on the ocean
Your newsletter. I want it.

Zeal

Banned
CozMick said:
This is the lamest attempt at trolling I have ever seen

Baaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha

at least he actually took the time to write something up. you're just slamming your keyboard incoherently.

This demo did it's job, it convinced me to get the game, won't be day 1 though, they lost that level of excitement with KZ2.

Was very impressed with the jetpack / graphics / gun additons / controls.

I think the cover is a bit worse actually then before, can't put my finger on why though.

madmook

Wario64 said:
Reposting for new page:

If anyone wants the demo, the demo is still in my download history, which makes me believe anyone can grab it. Quote this message to see the account info. Do not repost account info anywhere else. I don't give a fuck if I lose the account, I just want to help
Thanks so much! Downloading now, and I've logged out of it already. Didn't even know stuff like this could be done.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I've played throw the demo about 6 times now and personally I still prefer how KZ2 looked and controlled, I feel that they pampered to peoples demands too much, there is a reason why this is not getting the same scores as the original, it's lost it's identity imo, give me back those heavy controls, that cgi-like look with great object blurring, and also the aesthetics in the original game were fantastic, great use of colour in KZ2, very 'arty', at least the AI is good, if it wasn't for that it would be COD with better graphics, having great AI makes all the difference, the mechanics of enemy encounters in FPS's are very important to me, one of the reasons why I've always loved the Halo games.

Anyway I had fun that was the main thing, I'm not the most competent player so I'm hoping that I get a good 8 hours of the full campaign.

lowrider007 said:
I've played throw the demo about 6 times now and personally I still prefer how KZ2 looked and controlled, I feel that they pampered to peoples demands too much, there is a reason why this is not getting the same scores as the original, it's lost it's identity imo, give me back those heavy controls, that cgi-like look with great object blurring, and also the aesthetics in the original game were fantastic, great use of colour in KZ2, very 'arty', at least the AI is good, if it wasn't for that it would be COD with better graphics, having great AI makes all the difference, the mechanics of enemy encounters in FPS's are very important to me, one of the reasons why I've always loved the Halo games.

Totally agreeing with this...
Sure, the sound and graphics look awesome...but it just doesn't feel as nice as it was playing the kz2 SP (which I have needlessly beaten on every single difficulty level.) Playing through this demo just reminds me how much I miss that weighty controls and "desolate" art direction.

It now just feels like I'm playing another CoD super soldier game.

The lighter controls also makes the whole cover system + elite difficulty totally moot.
I died only once during my elite run of demo, never bothering to take cover (hitting L2) at all. After all, why should I bother when I can just run super fast and strafe in and out of objects?

...oh well, here's hope to a better final release experience...

I wish there was an option to at least add back the weighty feel.

nib95

Banned
So so beautiful..

70w94l.png

20110209144030.jpg

20110209145636.jpg

20110209145554.jpg

20110209144916.jpg

nib95 said:
So so beautiful..
What sorcery is this? It doesn't look this good on my TV. Are these captures or did you take pics of your TV? I am amazed. It's 4am here and you're making me want to play the demo again!

modulaire

This is one of the few games where I don't think about or notice textures, polygons, AA etc,

It's just really beautiful, fantastic artdesign. I wish there was a photomode - you could make a screencapture at virtually every point in the game and still get a fantastic piece of art for you wall/desktop!

nib95

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
What sorcery is this? It doesn't look this good on my TV. Are these captures or did you take pics of your TV? I am amazed. It's 4am here and you're making me want to play the demo again!

These are direct captures from Beyond3D forums. It likely doesn't look as good as these (as sharp) because your TV is much bigger than the size you are viewing the above shots. But the IQ and detail is actually astonishing. Like I said earlier, it's the only console game I've ever played where I've had to set my sharpness to zero. Despite that being the calibrated ideal, usually I bump it up a bit just for personal taste, but with KZ3....no need lol.

DoomGyver

After playing the demo a half dozen times, I have to say that this is the best SP demo a studio has put out this generation. Good length, great action, move/3d support, and most importantly it makes me want more Killzone. Good job GG.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Full Recovery said:
After playing the demo a half dozen times, I have to say that this is the best SP demo a studio has put out this generation. Good length, great action, move/3d support, and most importantly it makes me want more Killzone. Good job GG.

Not the best but definitely very enjoyable. It has OOMPH. I played through it the second time and enjoyed it much more. Adrenaline!

Top Bottom