• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 is leaked to torrent sites

Massa

StuBurns said:
Thanks, not bad.

Because he quite possibly didn't break a single law?

He most certainly did break the law. His defense will be proving the law goes against the Constitution.

Afrikan

firehawk12 said:
I figure this is another reason to hate European press - assuming it's a press leak anyway.
(Apologies to the good Euro outlets, but there's always some asshole who breaks embargo or whatever).

my guess, someone who works at Eurogamer or Edge.

Zinthar

41.4 GB? They must either have needed to duplicate the files a gazillion times on the disc so as to reduce loading times by minimizing seeking, or they loaded a bunch of 1080p CG video somewhere in there. My guess is the former -- there's no way that Guerilla made a game in 2011 with 41GB of unduplicated data (the biggest PC games are around 15GB, and would have much larger texture files than KZ3). Also could be designed to discourage piracy.

Hopefully pirates aren't able to play the multi on PSN at least.

StuBurns

Banned
Massa said:
He most certainly did break the law. His defense will be proving the law goes against the Constitution.
In that case, I don't see why people are defending him either. I take it back.

Rich!

CozMick said:
And the UK.

The average download speed in the UK is 3.4mb (according to OFCOM)

Have fun downloading that shit.

50mb/s Virgin Broadband connection here and soon upgrading to 100mb/s, thanks.

I wouldn't download it anyway, but even so - my internet connection is superb, and is great for HD streaming on iPlayer and the like. Not to mention gigs of steam games.

Reallink

Zinthar said:
41.4 GB? They must either have needed to duplicate the files a gazillion times on the disc so as to reduce loading times by minimizing seeking, or they loaded a bunch of 1080p CG video somewhere in there. My guess is the former -- there's no way that Guerilla made a game in 2011 with 41GB of unduplicated data (the biggest PC games are around 15GB, and would have much larger texture files than KZ3). Also could be designed to discourage piracy.

Hopefully pirates aren't able to play the multi on PSN at least.

I suspect a lot of the cutscenes (even the "real time, in engine" stuff) are going to be video files. There is a fairly lengthy one in the SP demo (right after the rocket pack section) with fairly obvious compression artifacts. Only played it once, didn't really scrutinize any other spots, there may be several. That one just happened to be pretty obvious.

Reallink said:
I suspect a lot of the cutscenes (even the "real time, in engine" stuff) are going to be video files. There is a fairly lengthy one in the SP demo (right after the rocket pack section) with fairly obvious compression artifacts. Only played it once, didn't really scrutinize any other spots, there may be several. That one just happened to be pretty obvious.

I heard it's that big because they have video files for every language plus duplicate files for 3d. That's why the other one is half the size.

_Bro

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Yep, it's totally legal. Sony should be getting on Twitter any minute giving you the go-ahead to download their game that's not even out yet for free. They just have to run it through their lawyers, but I doubt that will cause a problem.
Lawyers? I hope think don't sink this ship.

CozMick

Banned
richisawesome said:
50mb/s Virgin Broadband connection here and soon upgrading to 100mb/s, thanks.

I wouldn't download it anyway, but even so - my internet connection is superb, and is great for HD streaming on iPlayer and the like. Not to mention gigs of steam games.

I'm on 50mb VM but that doesn't stop the average from being any worse.

The bullshit ISPs come up with to hide there shitty connections is nigh on unlawful................

LiK

Zenith said:
Will this make Guerilla give up on the PS3?

ololololololol

edit: wait a sec, who the eff's going to download 41.4 Gb and get a blu-ray burner? I can see maybe people who sell pirated video games at market stalls doing it but it's not going to really affect much.
Yea, and the recordable Blu discs aren't cheap either right? easier to just buy the game.

spwolf

LiK said:
Yea, and the recordable Blu discs aren't cheap either right? easier to just buy the game.

why do you need to burn it to disc? there are billion "backup" managers for jailbroken PS3, you just copy downloaded game over via ftp and then run it with "backup" manager.

Cmagus said:
This game will still sell alot but it sucks that this stuff is getting leaked.
Yea. Shame for GG though.
DL Bluray Media isn't cheap, neither are the burners. The cost would almost be like buying the game itself.

Pepto

Banned
spwolf said:
why do you need to burn it to disc? there are billion "backup" managers for jailbroken PS3, you just copy downloaded game over via ftp and then run it with "backup" manager.
Why do you write "backup" instead of backup?

x3sphere

CozMick said:
I'm on 50mb VM but that doesn't stop the average from being any worse.

The bullshit ISPs come up with to hide there shitty connections is nigh on unlawful................

I don't live in the UK so can't comment on the quality of that ISP, but speeds on a 50mbit line will in general suffer with single-threaded downloads. You have to consider the connection quality of where you're downloading from. Not to mention, a lot of sites have speed caps in place. Also, the geographical location of where you are downloading from has a huge effect. For example, there's no way you will max a 50mbit line on on a UK ISP from a US site - you'll average probably 5-10mbit at most.

Hell, I run a server with a 1gbit connection and the max I can pull from a lot of sites is only 10-20mbit. But when downloading from a high-speed CDN like Akamai or Level3 it'll hit speeds of 500mbit +.

El-Suave

I never understood the timing of the review embargos for Sony's first party games. To have reviews out so early is counterproductive in my opinion. From a consumer's standpoint I'm against tightly controlled review events, but I guess that's one easy step to eliminate one possible source for leaks.

spats

SapientWolf said:
It won't scan though. I have no idea why Wal Mart does that.

They just don't care.

Gravijah said:
Man, for the longest time I thought your avatar was an alternate version of Sektor.

Sektor is from the Planet Helghan, true story btw

DonMigs85

chris0701 said:
As bink developer said,the BIK is the industry standard.

Why no H.264 video? Because bink video requires much less memory footprint and cpu resources,and supports the background decompress feature to mask loading times.
Ah, perhaps this is why FFXIII also made use of Bink and had no install required.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Rikyfree said:
Because it's not really a backup copy if you don't own the game to begin with.

No, he's saying "backup" manager. You'll see the common stance from some people is that all CFW allows is playing of "backups". Implying that people don't actually own games. Saying "backup" manager is basically him saying the managers are only for piracy.

Metalmurphy said:
The 3D version? Wait, they ship on separate discs?

They might be able to actually crack the game to run on 3.55 custom firmware, but they won't be able to crack 3.56.

Ummm yeah, you keep thinking that.

gogogow

StuBurns said:
FFXIII had incredible video quality. What's wrong with that codec?
Only the 360 version was using Bink and the videos looked horrible with lots of macroblocking. With KZ3 it doesn't matter since they have so much space on a dual-layered BD they can up the bitrate to 20k or whatever to avoid macroblocking.

squatingyeti said:
No, he's saying "backup" manager. You'll see the common stance from some people is that all CFW allows is playing of "backups". Implying that people don't actually own games. Saying "backup" manager is basically him saying the managers are only for piracy.
Take out the bolded words and you'll be closer to the truth. Man, the homebrew crowd is so damn sensitive when it comes to the idea that some (or a lot) of people would use these tools primarily for piracy (shocking). Its putting your head in the sand to assume that everybody with access to these tools is above board.

Now that doesn't insinuate that you pirate, or that all CFW owners pirate. Jesus.

NullPointer said:
Take out the bolded words and you'll be closer to the truth. Man, the homebrew crowd is so damn sensitive when it comes to the idea that some (or a lot) of people would use these tools primarily for piracy (shocking). Its putting your head in the sand to assume that everybody with access to these tools is above board.

Now that doesn't insinuate that you pirate, or that all CFW owners pirate. Jesus.
Fun fact: The first CFW for the PS3 was released by GeoHot and didn't support any piracy at all.

So no, he shouldn't take out anything.

LyR

Banned
Animator said:
It is safe to say nobody in Canada will pirate it.

I think canada and the UK are the only western world countries which still have download/upload caps

I mean come on, O2 UK with only 40GB per month ... in web 2.0 times, what is this ... the stone age ?! I feel with you UK/canuck gafers.

Well shit here goes my 25gb bandwidth cap this month <3 Canada.

Joking aside, at the cost of downloading and burning this onto a disc you really wouldn't be saving that much money...

edit: heheh quite the coincidence I landed this joke in right after the above post :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Super_Chicken said:
Well shit here goes my 25gb bandwidth cap this month <3 Canada.

Joking aside, at the cost of downloading and burning this onto a disc you really wouldn't be saving that much money...

It wouldn't cost that much. Well, depends on your situation I guess. No disc burning either.

Wario64 said:
It wouldn't cost that much. Well, depends on your situation I guess. No disc burning either.

Is it really as easy as transferring it to the ps3's hdd and booting it? I'm assuming you have to play offline. I've never really ventured into the ps3 mod/hax firmware threads...

Also stop me if I'm treading in unsafe water here? I'm just trying to get an understanding of piracy on the PS3. I've thought it's mostly been nonexistant.

Rorschach

Wouldnt be surprised if Guerrilla leaves the PS3. A year ago who would've even imagined they would make an open beta? Now this happens.

Good job PS3 gamers.

Rorschach said:
Wouldnt be surprised if Guerrilla leaves the PS3. A year ago who would've even imagined they would make an open beta? Now this happens.

Good job PS3 gamers.

am I missing something? Guerrilla is owned by Sony right? why would they stop making ps3 game?

Rhindle

Rorschach said:

Good job PS3 gamers.
Well, they're owned by Sony, so I'm not sure where they would go. :p

Really though, this is not going to move the needle on sales of the game. We don't know how many CFW units are still out there, but I doubt its more than a few hundred thousand - maybe a million tops, out of an installed base of 41 million. And only a fraction of those are going to have the ability/inclination to download a 20GB+ game.

Sony contained the problem quickly enough that piracy should not be a material factor with the PS3 going forward.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Callibretto said:
am I missing something? Guerrilla is owned by Sony right? why would they stop making ps3 game?
I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic and parodying the people saying CryTek is going to stop developing for PC after the Crysis 2 leak.

SolidusDave said:
Why do homebrewers care so much about PSN access anyway, can't they just code their own online service ;P
Well for games that have LAN support it wouldn't be too hard to do a tunneling service like XBConnect to play against others.

Hellsing321 said:
Well for games that have LAN support it wouldn't be too hard to do a tunneling service like XBConnect to play against others.

this is off topic, but speaking of tunneling software, is it technically possible for NGP to have ad-hoc party (PS3) built into it? so I can play any lan only psp games online.

zerokoolpsx said:
Yea. Shame for GG though.
DL Bluray Media isn't cheap, neither are the burners. The cost would almost be like buying the game itself.
Bullshit, less than 100 € for a burner and less than 5 € for 50 G BR media. And apparently you don't need to burn the game anyway.

squatingyeti said:
We are discussing piracy here, when used for loading illegally DLed games it sure is a "backup" manager.

Top Bottom