• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoRaven

The Take Out Bandit said:
Go to hlj.com and search for your character, and see what's out there. I'm sure you'll find something up your alley there.
Cool. I'll check it out. I found F4F's Metroid stuff pretty damn cool though. I have a Phazon Suit Samus from them.

Satyamdas said:
Actually, SSF4 had a TON of balance tweaks other than Sagat being nerfed, and it DID 'fix' the game. Trade DP into Ultra? GTFO. Characters with almost useless ultras? Here's a new one which provides utility. Weak character? Get buffed. Hit too hard? Get nerfed. Sagat was just the most extreme case, but the whole game was overhauled for the better and was definitely 'fixed'.

I don't play Tekken or BlazBlue or Arcana Heart, so I can't say whether SSF4 is the "most" balanced fighting game this gen like the other dude did, but after playing 1000+ hours of SF4 and then another 1000+ of SSF4 I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is a very well balanced game, much more so than SF4, 3S or ST. There are less than five 7-3 matchups, a handful of 6-4's, and a shit ton of 5-5's in SSF4, not to mention the viability of even the "shitty" low tier characters like Deejay and Makoto, so I'm wondering what makes you think it is so imbalanced?

Honda's matchups themselves have more than a handful of 6-4s.

So here's a question: Are they going to balance Yun and Yang or any other characters before the official arcade edition is released (all characters, etc)

After watching Yun videos, i am completely appaled by so many of the things they sought to eliminate in the first revisions have made their way back into Yun's game.

Safe Ultra on block? check
Full Screen specials into ultra? check
Barely any recovery on specials? check

the list goes on and on.

It blows my mind that they intentionally gave Yun an ex into ultra but they intentionally got rid of dj's ex dread kicks crumpling an opponent. How myopic can you be?

Onion_Relish said:
So here's a question: Are they going to balance Yun and Yang or any other characters before the official arcade edition is released (all characters, etc)

After watching Yun videos, i am completely appaled by so many of the things they sought to eliminate in the first revisions have made their way back into Yun's game.

the list goes on and on.

It blows my mind that they intentionally gave Yun an ex into ultra but they intentionally got rid of dj's ex dread kicks crumpling an opponent. How myopic can you be?

I doubt it. It's not like they rebalanced the original version of vanilla console to make it different from its arcade counterpart. The same situation is here. Why separate the console players and arcade players from playing the same game?

Onion_Relish said:

the list goes on and on.

Yun and Yang are DLC characters. There was no way they weren't going to be top tier. Capcom is gonna sell more DLC if these characters are considered the best.

Rocwell

robotzombie said:
Okay well SSFIV has now made me obsessed with fighting games, so I want to go back and start playing 3rd Strike. What is my best course of action? Getting the PS2 Anniversary Collection? If so, would using my PS3 TE stick work on a PS2 game?
TE does not work with PS2 games
don't think ps1 works either?
but you should be able to get it to plug and play with your PC for GGPO although some people have reported issues depending on your OS.

Unless I'm wrong and they patched in support in some firmware update and I missed it.

Satyamdas

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
Honda's matchups themselves have more than a handful of 6-4s.
Yeah, so does Akuma and Bison and Cammy. But when you look at 600 possible matchups and you have maybe 5 or 6 characters each with a handful of 6-4 matchups in their favor, I think it's fair to say that the game as a whole still has only a handful of 6-4's.

Satyamdas said:
Yeah, so does Akuma and Bison and Cammy. But when you look at 600 possible matchups and you have maybe 5 or 6 characters each with a handful of 6-4 matchups in their favor, I think it's fair to say that the game as a whole still has only a handful of 6-4's.

The cast is definitely more skewed than that. If you have 6 characters with more than enough matchups in their favor, then you also have the bottom half of the roster that makes up for it.

Satyamdas

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
The cast is definitely more skewed than that. If you have 6 characters with more than enough matchups in their favor, then you also have the bottom half of the roster that makes up for it.
So you have ~6 characters with more matchups in their favor than not, you have ~6 characters with more matchups not in their favor than are, and you have a fat fucking chunk of characters in the middle who are basically even against everyone. Is this supposed to be evidence that SSF4 as a whole is an imbalanced game?

Satyamdas said:
So you have ~6 characters with more matchups in their favor than not, you have ~6 characters with more matchups not in their favor than are, and you have a fat fucking chunk of characters in the middle who are basically even against everyone. Is this supposed to be evidence that SSF4 as a whole is an imbalanced game?

I'm not saying it isn't balanced, but I don't think every character is 'tournament viable'. It's like any other fighting game where a person playing a lower tiered character has to compensate for his lack of tools. You definitely have more leverage in this game if you specialize in someone who's in the upper fourth of the roster.

Satyamdas

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
I'm not saying it isn't balanced, but I don't think every character is 'tournament viable'. It's like any other fighting game where a person playing a lower tiered character has to compensate for his lack of tools. You definitely have more leverage in this game if you specialize in someone who's in the upper fourth of the roster.
I agree with that. We've never had a fighting game that was 5-5 across the board. I doubt it's possible, and frankly I wouldn't want it even if it were possible. A lot of what makes SF fun is overcoming shitty matchups. But that wasn't the point I was replying to earlier. Dude said:

When was SSF4 balanced? Just because Sagat isn't tear-farming anymore, it doesn't mean that it suddenly got 'fixed'...
This implies that the game is broken and is just as lopsided as vanilla SF4, which is patently ludicrous. I can understand not liking elements of the game, and when you use a character who struggles against the entire top tier it can be a frustrating game to play sometimes, but I still maintain that overall the game is quite well balanced and that SSF4 did a great job of fixing the glaring problems of vanilla. And from the looks of it, the tweaks in AE will fix a lot of the stupid shit that was left in Super, even if it is bringing us the twins and god tier Fei.

simtmb

I've been playing on XBL lately since most of my friends quit playing the game on PS3. I followed but recently started again. So far, lag free experience xD

Can't believe it's just that much better.

HiResDes

Kadey said:
Hey guys. Some fun stuff last few days. Shoutouts to 37 viewers.

Mosh, Canadian top players made an appearance on the stream. Beasted on Rebelo and Shine in a tourney.

Him vs Rice Eater. They had some good matches going. Ignore the dudes talking on the mic. Didn't mute any of them.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/279631701

Anybody watched the stream last night. Tell me whether the stream looked and sounded like the videos. I just want to make sure everything was good. Always trying to improve. :)

Okay in the first round Rice Eater wiffs two grabs, and then catches him with a third...Dude loses like ten respect points from me for not teching that shit.

I had to stop playing tonight. Too many lag induced shenanigans, the netcode makes me look like a bigger dumbass than I really am.

Squeezed in some training and chat with SolarPowered; but damn man - netcode Capcom, go ask Arc System Works how to do it right.

USD

http://www.capcom.co.jp/blog/sf4/development_blog/2011/02/15_3039.html

BLANKA
-Rolling Attack is easy to use for surprise attacks and chip, but since there's a large hittable box surrounding Blanka, it's actually easy for it to be stuffed by your opponent's attacks.
-All versions have the same hurtbox, but EX is projectile-invincible

LP Rolling Attack's hitbox
cq4Hs.jpg

-Normal Electric Attack only has a hitbox at Blanka's head, but because the hitbox spread over the front and back, even if you do a low attack up close, you'll get hit
-You can beat the attack by using low attacks from a distance

Electric Attack's hitbox
LKxHa.jpg

ABEL
-Tornado Throw now does 150/170/190 for LP, MP, and HP, repectively (each lost 10 damage)
-Souless does 461 damage (down from 500), Breathless does 431 (down from 480)
-The combo used in the below comparison is cr.MP → MP CoD → FADC → cr.HP → UC1 (471 damage in AE)

The above combo's damage in Super
AXTEs.jpg

The above combo's damage in AE
c6nVo.jpg

GEN
-Mantis st.LP's hurtbox from the elbow to tip was cut, give the attack a relatively far-reaching hitbox, making it easy to use

Mantis st.LP's hitbox
su2KK.jpg

-Mantis st.HK's hitbox has been extended to the foot
-You use can Crane cr.LK as a confirm and follow it with st.HK

Mantis st.HK's hitbox
pYECg.jpg

MAKOTO
-Out of Makoto's specials, Fukiage has the biggest change
-The hitbox is extended downward, while the hurtbox on the arm has been significantly reduced
-Since the attack reaches lower, you can hit your opponent with Fukiage during lvl.2 FA crumple, allowing you to use it in combos

LP Fukiage's hitbox
WG97s.jpg

-cr.MK's hurtbox is smaller, making the move easier to use as a frontal anti-air

cr.MK's hitbox
ITcS0.jpg

DEE JAY
-EX Jackknife Maximum is slightly buffed
-The hitbox of the first hit has been expanded to the foot, making it easier to land
-The opponent's falling trajectory has also been changed, making it easier for all hits to connect

EX Jacknife Maximum's hitbox
BYHZa.jpg

-All normal versions of Machine Gun Upper do more damage, though the mashing difficulty to get maximum damage is slightly higher, so it might feel tougher to do compared to Super

T.HAWK
-diagonal j.MP now has a 6F startup (2F faster)
-st.LP hurtbox is smaller, making it easer to use as a poke

st.LP's hitbox
1ljmr.jpg

-Raging Slash's (UC2) startup is now 3F (1F faster), with a larger hitbox, and is completely invincible until the end of active frames, making it massively improved over the SSFIV version

Raging Slash's (UC2) hitbox
WRHgp.jpg

Next week is Zangief, Sagat, Dan, Dudley, Hakan, and Adon.

Solune

USD said:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/blog/sf4/development_blog/2011/02/15_3039.html

T.HAWK
-diagonal j.MP now has a 6F startup (2F faster)
-st.LP hurtbox is smaller, making it easer to use as a poke

st.LP's hitbox
1ljmr.jpg

-Raging Slash's (UC2) startup is now 3F (1F faster), with a larger hitbox, and is completely invincible until the end of active frames, making it massively improved over the SSFIV version

Raging Slash's (UC2) hitbox
WRHgp.jpg

Paging Hitokage.

Threi

notag
good stuff for deejay's EX Upkicks...a lot of the time it would only hit once and then the opponent would bounce out, making it a pretty big waste of meter.

but its mahvel time call me when AE patch hits :)

MIMIC

Banned
Onion_Relish said:

the list goes on and on.

His Ultra is safe on block? WTF? Is that true with any other character (I can't think of any off hand)

HiResDes said:
Okay in the first round Rice Eater wiffs two grabs, and then catches him with a third...Dude loses like ten respect points from me for not teching that shit.

Whoa, whoa, I was the only one in that room who defeated that guys Dhalsim. The Gods of PSN GAF were no where to be found. I alone defended GAF's honor from the threat of random invaders.

Conceited said:
:lol :lol :lol

Wow...

Well she definitely didn't do it for the money, because as she said to me with so much class and grace; "I have more money than you'll ever see".

Me and my boy were joking about it, and he dared me to post that, so I did.

I'll have more money than you'll ever see? Yeah, really classy thing to say.

I know others have thought this as well, couldn't have just been us.

Ehh I'll probably be banned for that. I'd say it was worth it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Arpharmd B said:
Me and my boy were joking about it, and he dared me to post that, so I did.

I'll have more money than you'll ever see? Yeah, really classy thing to say.

I know others have thought this as well, couldn't have just been us.

Ehh I'll probably be banned for that. I'd say it was worth it.

One. We're not even together. We joke around a lot. If you couldn't tell. Well you're a dumbass.

Two, kind of contradicting yourself there talking about being classy insulting someone who has done far more than anybody in the community. I don't a flying fuck if you've insulted me but saying that about him was pretty stupid.

Conceited can keep staying free. Getting owned by everybody on PSN and still talking trash. True scrub there. People that scrubby have no right to talk. I love how he's twisting words around. If anybody doesn't have class, it's you. And yeah, I have far more money than you'll ever see. What are you going to do about it? Exactly. Nothing. Chump.

Okay, so I'm playing SSFIV to get used to my arcade stick again and I've totally forgotten how to buffer supers. I'm talking about hadouken xx super, shoryuken xx super, hp xx super etc..

Anyone care to help? It's driving me nuts and I just can't get it out.

EDIT:

I seem to be able to get it intermittently on 2p. I get it with d,df,f p, d,f, f p..

But on 1p I'm inputting d,df,f p, d,df, f p (with negative edge) and getting nothing.

I've already had to fix my SE once - maybe it's crapping out on that side?

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Kadey said:
Conceited can keep staying free. Getting owned by everybody on PSN and still talking trash. True scrub there. People that scrubby have no right to talk. I love how he's twisting words around. If anybody doesn't have class, it's you. And yeah, I have far more money than you'll ever see. What are you going to do about it? Exactly. Nothing. Chump.

Is this real life? Are you really this out of touch reality?

The mere fact that you think I care about getting blown up on PSN is hilarious. I could lose 1000 games in a row and I wouldn't care, I play this game for fun and fun only, I'm a stream monster through and through.

But man, bragging about wealth in a gaming forum/stream chat, that is some seriously sad stuff right there. Especially because you seem to think that somehow makes you better than me.

Anyways, you are clearly a crazy person, so I'll stop trolling you now. It's no fun when you take it so seriously.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
_dementia said:
Pandaman coming out of retirement to troll Floyd? Yo ugh.
iirc, psn gaf was nonstop mak, ibuki and duds so i have to get my trolling quota in incase AE makes those characters not trash.

plus i saw coil not using dat rawg and it worried me.

El Sloth

Banned
jlai said:
I felt like this was already an awesome AA as it was, but I'll take it!
That's exactly what I was thinking. Best part is that a lot of people refuse to believe it's actually an AA and keep jumping at you anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom