• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 6's visuals, animation, and attention to detail are amazing

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There's so many things they added to this game to give it an insane amount of soul and charm, moreso than any other SF i can think of, besides maybe SFA2, SFA3, or Third Strike (a big maybe.... you'll see why)

The walkout animations in Versus mode which perfectly manage to convey the personalities of the 18 characters (Like the scene with Luke & Kimberly, where Luke's got an aura of confidence and arrogance to him during his walk, while Kimberly bounces and jumps around like a hyper ninja) while also being hype as hell

the gorgeous animations in the game that are just... they're actually amazing. The level 3 supers are beautifully animated and so joyous to look at, each detail, shot, movement, crafted to perfection. It's an amazing visual showcase and i can imagine it will generate a lot of cheering and shouting at the next EVO.

As well as just the regular animations being super smooth and sweet to look at. The new rashid trailer showcases just how smooth combos, command grabs, throws,specials all are in this game.

Not to mention the insanely unique and beautiful game UI, this was the boring ass SF5 main menu & Character select in comparison
street-fighter-v-main-menu.png

Slick and functional sure, but nothign in comparison to how SF6 does things.

Street_Fighter_6_Beginner%27s_Guide_%281%29.jpg

Just compare how boring the character select menus in SF5 are. Characters pose and move their bodies a bit while taking up 80% of the screen, Meanwhile in SF6 we get a full body view and see them doing various small animations to pad out the time as they wait, like Kimberly hanging upside down listening to music like she's a fuckin bat, or Deejay knocking on the barrel he's sitting on to make a beat. This is on top of the walk out animations in the versus screen.

I know it sounds ridiculous to compare game UIs, but it's a great way to just illustrate how much better the production values in SF6 are to not just many SFs, but most fighting games in general

The production values this game had are immense, and they did so well spending the budget in all the right areas. We haven't seen a Fighting game with this much style and grace since Guilty Gear Strive. It's insane, the amount of doubt this game had before release, myself included

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I think he did that because people in the preview threads were boldly claiming that SF5 looked better than SF6.
nah, i did it just to trash on SF5, lol

Celcius Celcius If they look good to you though, that's great. It is my opinion afterall, but i just love the sheer style that SF6 radiates with its UI design and aesthetics. These kinds of design stick in your head really well. The graffiti and neon lights are soo good.

Last edited:
nah, i did it just to trash on SF5, lol

If they look good to you though, that's great. It is my opinion afterall, but i just love the sheer style that SF6 radiates with its UI design and aesthetics. These kinds of design stick in your head really well. The graffiti and neon lights are soo good.
Honestly I agree with your take, and I think that SF6(non-campaign) is going to age gracefully due to the style they poured into it, but I'm curious to see what type of responses this thread will have.

That Rashid trailer is good.

93xfan

Banned
I agree OP. Was also amazed at how each stage is so well done. Not a bad one as far as regular stages go, and so much attention put on the characters too!

RCU005

I don’t like the art style at all. 4, 5 and now 6 have had horrible art style. It has been improving, but it doesn’t make the characters justice, specially when comparing it with the gorgeous art they had in SF3, SF Alpha, etc.

They should go back to anime style with cell shaded graphics. Street Fighter in 3D has been very disappointing in this regard.

In fact, another franchise that fucked it all up once they went 3D was King of Fighters. 13 is the most amazing-looking 2D fighting game ever! Then they released the abomination that are 14 and 15.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Game is much more polished than 5, but the music is still bad.

agree to disagree

I don’t like the art style at all. 4, 5 and now 6 have had horrible art style. It has been improving, but it doesn’t make the characters justice, specially when comparing it with the gorgeous art they had in SF3, SF Alpha, etc.

They should go back to anime style with cell shaded graphics. Street Fighter in 3D has been very disappointing in this regard.

In fact, another franchise that fucked it all up once they went 3D was King of Fighters. 13 is the most amazing-looking 2D fighting game ever! Then they released the abomination that are 14 and 15.
3D is the future for these types of games, and the lighting and animatino work they have done on the models, as well as the astounding level 3 supers and critical arts, makes the switch well worth it. None of that could be done in 2D feasibly, and the games are so much more dynamic and cinematic for it. Not to mention the smoother animation being better for readability and gameplay, too. You can play Guilty Gear or Skullgirls if you want that type of 2D animation

Last edited:

Rickyiez

You're probably just disliking for the sake of disliking if you think this art style is horrible

[Sigma]

I just don't like the music. that's my biggest gripe about the game and if that's the your biggest gripe, then I think you're doing pretty good with me. I'm in agree about the animations. They look fantastic "overall" with some hiccups. Art style is more a mixed bag for me but I love the detail of the characters. I'd like to adjust the lighting some how in some stages.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I just don't like the music. that's my biggest gripe about the game and if that's the your biggest gripe, then I think you're doing pretty good with me.
I don't agree, but i can understand. Ryu and ken's new themes are actually really good but it'd be nice to hear the older songs in there too in rotation, it's a bit offputting.

Last edited:
It's pretty much a theme for the series to have great animations at this point. SFV had some of the best animations in a fighter, and SF6 is still carrying the torch. SF3 and SF4 both had slick animations at the time they dropped as well.

[Sigma]

I don't agree, but i can understand. Ryu and ken's new themes are actually really good but it'd be nice to hear the older songs in there too in rotation, it's a bit offputting.
I will never get jiggy with this music. A few themes here may sound decent but it doesn' make the overall ost sound good. it's still trash.

Last edited:
I just don't like the music. that's my biggest gripe about the game and if that's the your biggest gripe, then I think you're doing pretty good with me. I'm in agree about the animations. They look fantastic "overall" with some hiccups. Art style is more a mixed bag for me but I love the detail of the characters. I'd like to adjust the lighting some how in some stages.
Some of the stage music is amazing. The character music is pretty awful this time around though.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You're probably just disliking for the sake of disliking if you think this art style is horrible

Some people just don't seem to like 3D very much. it's weird too since these are some of the best animatinos and models capcom have made in a while. super fresh, readable, simple, dynamic......

Also, it's crazy how much people were slandering Modern controls before release, and now that they're out and people got used to them, people are starting to really like them. It's bringing smash players over to SF and pro players are starting to use them too due to how much faster you can react

Personally I don't think i'll switch yet as i've learned motion inputs well by myself and i'd like to be able to have long customized combos that you can't get with Modern, but the fact that people are loving the game played this way is amazing. They managed to easily do what fighting games for 10 years were trying to do: lower the skill floor and get casuals interested. And when you've got the casual bucks you can benefit the hardcore audience that much more

Last edited:

Lasha

agree to disagree

3D is the future for these types of games, and the lighting and animatino work they have done on the models, as well as the astounding level 3 supers and critical arts, makes the switch well worth it. None of that could be done in 2D feasibly, and the games are so much more dynamic and cinematic for it. Not to mention the smoother animation being better for readability and gameplay, too. You can play Guilty Gear or Skullgirls if you want that type of 2D animation

Guilty gear uses 3D models. Hand drawn sprites haven't been a thing for ages.

drotahorror

Also, it's crazy how much people were slandering Modern controls before release, and now that they're out and people got used to them, people are starting to really like them. It's bringing smash players over to SF and pro players are starting to use them too due to how much faster you can react

Personally I don't think i'll switch yet as i've learned motion inputs well by myself and i'd like to be able to have long customized combos that you can't get with Modern, but the fact that people are loving the game played this way is amazing. They managed to easily do what fighting games for 10 years were trying to do: lower the skill floor and get casuals interested. And when you've got the casual bucks you can benefit the hardcore audience that much more

And that's part of the reason I want to play. A casual ass fighting game player like me can do something. I sucked bad at SFV, I could not get timings on anything for shit. I grew up with a stick and I used stick mainly. I was no better on controller. I hate Mortal Kombat's combo system, I dislike block buttons (and run buttons). Last fighting game I felt decent at was Killer Instinct '13.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You can hate or like the artstyle but no one can deny how amazing the animation are. I dont play fighting games but I highly enjoyed watching SF6 in CEO 2023 because how mesmerizing the animation was.....It was just fun to watch.

RCU005

Not at all. It’s just that the character models look odd and disproportionate. It’s much less in SF 6 than 4 which had huge hands and feet for everyone. But I feel they should either go for a cell shading look, or something more realistic proportion-wise. Even maybe something like MK11.

The art per se is good! The animations and details they have is good. I guess is the character models that I don’t like.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Im no friend of the turbulent wind…but I’ll be damned if his character trailer was pure 🔥.

Capcom is holding court in so many genres right now it is crazy.

Hell…they even spent time making the latest release for ghost trick great.

Looking forward to Ibuki at some point 🤞 (but realistically they already have Kimberly so my ninja crush probably sitting this one out).

Im no friend of the turbulent wind…but I’ll be damned if his character trailer was pure 🔥.

Capcom is holding court in so many genres right now it is crazy.

Hell…they even spent time making the latest release for ghost trick great.

Looking forward to Ibuki at some point 🤞 (but realistically they already have Kimberly so my ninja crush probably sitting this one out).
Kimberly is the worst thing to happen to SF6. Having her means no Zeku and no Ibuki.

decisions

I think the animations look great but that's about it. I find the art style, music, and menus really off-putting and I'm kind of confused why so many people are saying it's better than SFV...because it has a story mode?

I'm enjoying my time with the game since the gameplay is as sublime as always, but I don't know if I'll be paying for characters (another thing SFV had going for it). To me, it just feels like a fun distraction until Tekken 8 comes out, not really getting the sense that Street Fighter has found its identity again, but obviously that's what a lot people are saying.

You can hate or like the artstyle but no one can deny how amazing the animation are. I dont play fighting games but I highly enjoyed watching SF6 in CEO 2023 because how mesmerizing the animation was.....It was just fun to watch.
It’s also due to all of the gameplay changes they’ve made to make the gameplay style a bit faster and more aggressive, but not as crazy fast as MvC 3.

I think they struck gold with how the matches are paced, because the tournaments around this game have been way more fun to watch than 5’s. I feel like it’s partially due to how players are no longer spamming projectiles for openings, because they can be severely punished with for doing so.

Also them making the max level bots pro level in skill was a genius move. So many pro players and regular players adjusted their tournament tactics because training with the bots made them quickly realize how much they could actually do in this game.

I recommend anyone here check out some tournaments and exhibitions on YouTube. There’s some exciting back and forth swing matches out there and most rounds feel like the perfect length for watching.

ElCasual

You are right OP, this game looks that was made with love (and much much money) , very happy that Ono leaves Capcom for SF6.

amigastar

I like the graphics and i know what Capcom wanted to accomplish with them but i'm more a fan of SFIV kinda graphics.
But I wouldn't mind a Street Fighter game with Guilty Gear Strive like graphics.

Reactions: Fuz

Success

What a novice take.

SF4 was cell shaded.

Top Bottom