• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Starfield Tech Breakdown - 30FPS, Visuals, Rendering Tech + Game Impressions

Roxkis_ii

Well see now there you go. I'm sure a poll on NeoGAF showing the majority of gamers here want 60fps regardless of features we might have to give up will convince Bethesda to change it. Guys it seems to me you're not being realistic and just arguing to argue. But carry on, I'm going back to Zelda.

Most games coming out this gen have a proformance mode, I don't think it's a bad thing to want options.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
DF sets the record straight. And people still trying to criticize 30fps here lol.
disgusted not safe for work GIF

Neo_game

Lets see what they will do with the pro versions of the consoles.... because there is no more push left... 4k is out of the window.. the push now and for the next generation is going to be FPS..is the only tangible marktable thing with numbers they can use ...so if they launch a pro with a better gpu and quasi better cpu and the game runs ar 60 fps we all will have our answers... i call bullshit.. but we all can have our opinions

I do not know who it was but someone said console will be 30fps going forward and if you want 60fps get a gaming PC. I think Pro console can fix this issue as well. Whatever the console are doing now Pro should be able 2x the performance.

MarkMe2525

We could start the list with Ubisoft.
A particular studio within Ubisoft?

Edit: I got to be real for a second, a 100% did not expect you to list, much less "start the list" with Ubisoft. You really threw me off.

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
Bethesda has always been low tier with their engine efforts. How is this suddenly a controversial statement to make? What exactly have we seen in Starfield that would justify such a low framerate? It's not like we're looking at thousands of NPCs on screen at once or massive destruction physics, etc...

MarkMe2525

Bethesda has always been low tier with their engine efforts. How is this suddenly a controversial statement to make? What exactly have we seen in Starfield that would justify such a low framerate? It's not like we're looking at thousands of NPCs on screen at once or massive destruction physics, etc...
There we go, no reason to be coy about it. Let the hate run through you.

MarkMe2525

Is it hatred to speak the truth? Tell me. What's Starfield doing that's so next-gen that needs to run at 30fps?
To speak the truth?? Is truth making assumptions about a game that we have seen .00001% of? Do you even know what this game is doing? Your definition of truth is questionable at best, and I reject your premise outright.

OCASM

Banned
To speak the truth?? Is truth making assumptions about a game that we have seen .00001% of? Do you even know what this game is doing? Your definition of truth is questionable at best, and I reject your premise outright.
We've all seen previous Bethesda games and how shoddy they are technologically. This game looks competent enough but let's not pretend like what they've shown is in any reasonable way taxing to next-gen consoles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We've all seen previous Bethesda games and how shoddy they are technologically. This game looks competent enough but let's not pretend like what they've shown is in any reasonable way taxing to next-gen consoles.
It's the best looking game they've ever made. Looks like they stepped it up on fidelity big time compared to their prior work.

Reactions: Isa

MarkMe2525

"What they have shown".... My point exactly. How much gameplay have you seen?

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
It's the best looking game they've ever made. Looks like they stepped it up on fidelity big time compared to their prior work.
That's true. Then again, what they've shown is about mid-high end PS4 AAA games.

"What they have shown".... My point exactly. How much gameplay have you seen?
Enough to see there's nothing gameplay wise that requires locking the game at 30fps.

I know its only been 21 years and 4 console generations, but you may have not noticed that Bethesda Game Studios have been the only developers that can even create the games they do.
That's more to do with the design philosophy than the tech itself.

Mister Wolf

Is it hatred to speak the truth? Tell me. What's Starfield doing that's so next-gen that needs to run at 30fps?

Well for one it has a realtime GI system and a realtime day/night cycle. Thats something neither Spiderman and Horizon FW are doing and perhaps the lack of those type of simulations is why that can hit 60fps in the first place. Spiderman doesn't even have a day/night cycle

If it's not a big deal why is every other post from you complaining about it. Are you thinking if you make enough posts complaining Bethesda will change it?

I'm not complaining about anything if you read through my posts, though in general I do think more options are better because some gamers are 60 fps or bust these days. I just don't believe there's any technical reason why it wouldn't work. The reasons it's not there is because of the amount of effort, not because of a limitation hurdle they can't overcome.

OCASM

Banned
Well for one it has a realtime GI system and a realtime day/night cycle. Thats something neither Spiderman and Horizon FW are doing and perhaps the lack of those type of simulations is why that can hit 60fps in the first place. Spiderman doesn't even have a day/night cycle
RDR2 did have those two things though.

Oh really? Well I'll be sure to remind myself to be upset about it while I'm role playing a space pirate and knocking over my 203rd planet. I'm sure at some point I'll wish that the Rayman Legends developer took the project over.
Why are you so defensive? I'm not saying it looks like trash, just that tech wise it's about what we can expect based on their previous efforts.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Bet that when it comes out on PC people will be able to scale it down to run on worse machines and easily hit 60fps. That or it'll just run surpriisngly better than expected on machines using the equivalent CPU and GPU of XSX.

At that point I'll just be wondering why they don't offer modes and options for players to choose. Guess we'll be finding out September 1st.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Lmao, did you watch the video or look at igns preview. There's tons of npcs living out routines. It will be like other Bethesda games where you can probably kill every npc and break your game.

No one makes games like Bethesda, hence why people have been playing and modding Skyrim and fallout for like over 10 years.

i don't know why I'm entertaining your blatant trolling but gg. You got one response from me.

MarkMe2525

"I'll be sure to remind myself to be upset about it"

Who told you to be upset?
So you were telling us to be happy about the fact that there is absolutely nothing next Gen enough in the game to warrant a 30 FPS cap, and that a 2D Rayman game developer could do better. I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your statements. I'm not sure what I could have been thinking.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
DF sets the record straight. And people still trying to criticize 30fps here lol.

We know why the developers wanted 30fps.

We also know that this has turned many people into hypocrites after so many years of trashing 30fps.

OCASM

Banned
Lmao, did you watch the video or look at igns preview. There's tons of npcs living out routines. It will be like other Bethesda games where you can probably kill every npc and break your game.
Yeah, the same thing we've seen in every single Bethesda game ever. Those games ran fine on previous consoles. What specifically is this game doing that requires lowering the framerate to 30fps?

So you were telling us to be happy about the fact that there is absolutely nothing next Gen enough in the game to warrant a 30 FPS cap, and that a 2D Rayman game developer could do better. I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your statements. I'm not sure what I could have been thinking.
The bolded is true. The stuff about your emotions is something you imagined yourself :messenger_winking:

FireFly

This I agree with. Remember all the hub-bub about cross-gen or the S early on before and around the time these systems launched, and how some of these very same people were like, "engines are super scalable now, this won't be an issue?" I remember.

Now these current engines are no longer scalable for performance modes?

I think it comes down to getting the best version out the door before even exploring 60fps (or a performance mode). They had to delay a year and pull all hands on deck from other talented studios to assist during that time.
If it's a CPU limitation, you won't be able to get around it by decreasing resolution or lowering texture detail, as with the Series S. The Series S having (almost) the same CPU performance as the Series X was a big deal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If it's a CPU limitation, you won't be able to get around it by decreasing resolution or lowering texture detail, as with the Series S. The Series S having (almost) the same CPU performance as the Series X was a big deal.
We will all find out when the PC version hits.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, the same thing we've seen in every single Bethesda game ever. Those games ran fine on previous consoles. What specifically is this game doing that requires lowering the framerate to 30fps?

The bolded is true. The stuff about your emotions is something you imagined yourself :messenger_winking:

Just look at the game lmao...you can't see it?

It's literally a full space flight sim where you can instantly board ships, physics out the ass, look how the body's fly around etc. Different atmospheres, full global illumination lighting from planets. Moons you can jump to and explore...I don't know how you can't see this?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I do not know who it was but someone said console will be 30fps going forward and if you want 60fps get a gaming PC. I think Pro console can fix this issue as well. Whatever the console are doing now Pro should be able 2x the performance.

And they have to oush something to sell new consoles.. especially mid gen updates.. i think that the time for the 60 fps push is coming... i trully hope so .. so we can change the fight for the trully stupider one 60 fps vs 120 fps

skneogaf

In my opinion this game is not a graphics showcase and shouldn't be painted as such, it's about gameplay and what can be done in the game.

The graphics are definitely looking good enough though and the pc version will be incredible with the series consoles versions being powerful enough to give you a game that hasn't been done before on this level.

OCASM

Banned

It's literally a full space flight sim where you can instantly board ships, physics out the ass, look how the body's fly around etc. Different atmospheres, full global illumination lighting from planets. Moons you can jump to and explore...I don't know how you can't see this?
Yes but it's not doing every single thing at once. When you're in space the game isn't running hundreds of NPC routines. The moment to moment gameplay they've shown so far could run at 60fps on a Series X. No joke, they should ask for deeper help from id Software beyond post-processing effects. Those guys managed to put Doom Eternal on the Switch.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That moment where the player shot out the jet pack, driving the enemy up into the ceiling was a highlight that showcased some of the variety they've built in. Also the zero gravity areas where the kinetic energy generated by weapons spreads evenly in all directions should make for some interesting moments.

@ O OCASM If walking down the heart of the large cities with all the NPCs doing their thing with overhead for combat etc. is enough to cause the cap, that's that. It doesn't matter what is happening anywhere else.

Last edited:

SHA

I bet they won't change the topic till the 60fps patch for Xbox series elite, I miss real journalism when it was more about what's in the game than the tech behind it.

Top Bottom