• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Final Fantasy 16 - PlayStation 5 - Tech Review

Banned
Not an issue with a gamepad. I also play most of my PC games with a gamepad and I've never even noticed a difference between my 60hz plasma and 165hz LCD.

It's very different from mouse and keyboard controls.

damn... I mean I was forced to get out my old ass TV a few weeks ago because there was a defect on my current one, and so for 2 days until it got repaired, I had to use my old HD Ready TV with 31ms of lag, which was the lowest on the market at the time lol.

and that shit was unplaybe to me now.

not noticing the difference on a controller is absolutely crazy to me tbh. I notice the difference between the 9.8ms of my current TV, and the 20ms the one before had very easily, to the point where one of the reasons I got this new TV was the reduced input lag.

7q6iji.jpg

Surfheart

Genuinely cant believe the first few games launching that are actually next gen and they are 1080p 30FPS and 720P 60 FPS...we got fed bullshit this generation and fell for it hook line and sinker...absolutely no difference than any other generation.

I wish this was out on PC tomorrow, it absolutely sucks that its exclusive

Yet there are many games on PS5/SX with a much higher native res and better frame rates that arguably look better than FF

SABRE220

LOL so this is why Performance Mode looked really soft and blurry. As low as 720p LMAO.

I am on patch version 1.02, that appears to be the Day 1 patch.

The issue with FFXVI is that it uses RT throughout with no fallback to rasterization. I respect the team for going all-out on supporting RT like this, but the shit-tier RDNA2 GPU in these consoles simply cannot cope with RT, and without DLSS to do decent quality reconstruction when you're down as low as 720p it's going to look like flaming horseshit. To put it simply, using AMD is dramatically holding these consoles back. If they used Nvidia hardware of the same gen, and by that I mean the Ampere (RTX 30 series) gen, they would have more than double the speed RT at the same core/shader count and also DLSS which is so vastly superior to FSR it's kind of hilarious.
Ummm what raytracing tech are you exactly giving them praise for? The game apparently uses baked lighting, no day and night cycle, ssr reflections and even the shadows could have partial rt shadows even that isn't confirmed. There really is hardly even a hint of rt tech and youre saying no fallback to rasterization. The engine is just rather inefficient, Im honestly trying to figure out what exactly is so demanding that it is pulling the game down to ps4 resolutions..baked lighting, no rt, no day and night cycle, no destructibility etc. Its a nice looking game but the engine is not delivering the goods for how resource hungry it is. Also for rasterization the rdna2 beats out rtx3xxx series albeit they are pathetic in rt tech so that excuse cant be used for ff16 since you know no rt tech..

Last edited:
Performance is quite disappointing. Is it a different engine to FFXV, that ran really well on PC 4k 60fps on a 1080ti? Maybe it is RT stuff then or perhaps performance is highly variable with effects in battles, most of the time it looks like a fairly standard AAA game from the last 5-7 years that should be running well.

Even though PC ports have been poor recently I think we may see PC do well with this game. I'm certainly holding out to play this on PC.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The Starfield that despite the internal lower resolution doesn’t offer any options in terms of performance?

Yes, let’s compare that to a game that does offer a 60fps mode and pretend we can tell when the internal resolution changes during gameplay.

I bet they could just turn on a completely wild framerate mode that fluctuates between 35 and 60 FPS..but they had the balls to say that's not an experience they want for their end users.

Tarnpanzer

What Raytracing Effects does this game actually use?

- Shadows
- Reflections
- Ambient Occlusion
- Global Illumination

?

Darsxx82

Seems like shadows and possibly ambient occlusion.
There are doubts with the shadows. But there's really a good chance FFXVI is not using any kind of RT.

That there are no structural differences in the shadows between the quality vs performance mode and, above all, that Square has not pointed out or advertised RT as a feature of the game is also an important indication to bet on the latter.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

There are doubts with the shadows. But there's really a good chance FFXVI is not using any kind of RT.

That there are no structural differences in the shadows between the quality vs performance mode and, above all, that Square has not pointed out or advertised RT as a feature of the game is also an important indication to bet on the latter.

Thx for your input.

I am still wondering why this game is so "heavy" which results in such low resolution and fps.

Rykan

Just seeing this news now, am I hearing this right? The so called superior 60fps mode runs at... 720p?

Like... actual... 720p? And people will play that mode by choice? In 2023?
Yeah, lets play at 30 FPS to play in...1080p. Because that's a huge improvement.
The days of performance modes will be over with starting by the end of this year. Bet on it.

I love being right. Mods, remove my tag.
Several games releasing next year have already been confirmed or shown running at performance modes. You're wrong. As usual.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

First Forsaken, now this mess. This is some real low ball shit. 720p in combat, in 2023, GTFO here.

Why do they think this shit is acceptable. Visuals arent everything, drop some stuff back and get the fps up, jesus. I highly doubt there arent improvements to be made. And whoever chose to go with FSR 1 is a dumbc*nt.

I still emphasize Sony really fucked up their decision to set the VRR window so bloody high. If it was at 40 and not 48, dev's might be more incentived to aim for it as the de facto 'quality' mode.

But no, it just had to be 48 which is way too close to 50 territory. Real L move.

Last edited:

cireza

Godspeed, but that’s not a good way to play a character action game imo.

It’s not even close

87-DE00-B1-CAE6-4664-8145-CC6-EF2059885.jpg
Both look awful, one more than the other. And there is the word "Quality" in it lol. Well, it seems that this word doesn't mean the same thing for me and the person who made that screenshot...

WTF is wrong with modern video-games ? At which point did we stray so far from the path ? Who was the genius that thought "Hey guys, let's make a super polished picture at 240p (if that's even possible) and then upscale it 20 times with complicated, resource hungry algorithms" rather than simply making a super clean, yet simpler, native res picture ? This is beyond me.

Last edited:

SABRE220

- Shadows
- Reflections
- Ambient Occlusion
- Global Illumination

?
Possibly shadows and that's a guess...most of the lighting is baked,the reflections are ssr and it doesn't even have a day and light cycle. While I have no problems with baked lighting and the game has a specific style that looks good all things considered, I'm still left scratching my head about what demanding tech is being used here that would drag the engine down to these resolutions.

I'll hold off on buying until they either improve performance mode or let you turn off motion blur.

Tried quality mode in the demo and the motion blur literally made me nauseous.

Fabieter

giphy.gif

And that's with 12+GB VRAM and for sure not the best GFX settings which will be available on PC - somehow I don't think that 16GB VRAM will be enough for native 1440p and native 4K will for sure require 24GB card to run the game at locked 30 FPS. And if the dev team will decide to upgrade PC version with tech and GFX features not available on PS5 (just like they did with PC version of FFXIV)...

That's almost on the level of Nintendo Switch....
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I've no words....

You dont see the 720 to 1080p. It's not super sharp like 4k but anyone sitting away from a TV seeing this as 1080 without digital foundry is lying.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Starfield that despite the internal lower resolution doesn’t offer any options in terms of performance?

Yes, let’s compare that to a game that does offer a 60fps mode and pretend we can tell when the internal resolution changes during gameplay.

Dunno, feel like a lot of the people making a big issue out of this didn't play the demo and probably never planned on playing the game anyway.

Well, when you're right, you're right.

- Shadows
- Reflections
- Ambient Occlusion
- Global Illumination

?

John thinks it's RT shadows because it shows similar characteristics, but he said he could not definitively nail it.

But he said no matter what method the game uses, it looks very good, more-so in Quality mode. In Performance mode the shadow quality and cascade distance takes a hit.

First Forsaken, now this mess. This is some real low ball shit. 720p in combat, in 2023, GTFO here.

Why do they think this shit is acceptable. Visuals arent everything, drop some stuff back and get the fps up, jesus. I highly doubt there arent improvements to be made. And whoever chose to go with FSR 1 is a dumbc*nt.

I still emphasize Sony really fucked up their decision to set the VRR window so bloody high. If it was at 40 and not 48, dev's might be more incentived to aim for it as the de facto 'quality' mode.

But no, it just had to be 48 which is way too close to 50 territory. Real L move.

The VRR is the way it is because 48-120 is the HDMI spec for it and Sony just implemented the basics unfortunately. To be fair there's nothing stopping a developer patching in LFC support for their games to go lower tho, and if the GSync compatible mode on my TV is anything, the VRR window can then be easily extended to 24-120.

Ahead of getting the game today, I continued playing the demo to completion and saved my progress. I also tried the optional challenge (and died!).

Anyway, I played the game in the Graphics mode because I prefer the consistency of a near-locked 30 fps framerate to a wavering, inconsistent and stuttering (when it drops below 48 fps) experience with VRR in the blur-o-vision Performance mode. I find that 30 fps is absolutely fine for me, surprisingly, but that is because I haven't been switching between the two modes. Also, the fact that the game's cutscenes run at 30 fps regardless of which mode you choose makes for a less jarring experience. The only issue I have with the 30 fps mode is the horrid ghost image that appears around the character when panning or moving the camera. It is quite distracting at times and is presumably because the game is using AMD's terrible FSR1?

Can't wait for the PC version though where I will be able to play at 60 fps with a native 1440p and much improved image quality. The PS5 version will suffice for now though even if it is ultimately a bit disappointing from a technical perspective (upscaled 720p-1080p in the Performance mode and still not achieving anywhere close to a locked 60 fps... even the 720p combat sequences cannot hold 60 fps which is really surprising for a PS5 exclusive).

Last edited:
You dont see the 720 to 1080p. It's not super sharp like 4k but anyone sitting away from a TV seeing this as 1080 without digital foundry is lying.
I made both of these comments before the DF video.
It's an old build so maybe it will improve but combat drops the resolution and it seriously looks like 720p or something. It's good that it sticks closer to 60fps in combat but it can still tank even at such a low resolution.

I think I'll wait for the PC version as some of the assets are seriously beautiful looking.

If you put your bias to one side and have fully working vision you can easily tell how low resolution stuff is when FSR1 is used as it is a terrible solution that shouldn't be called upscaling.

Flabagast

Yeah, gamers saying that we would leave the 30fps age were fooling themselves.

Of course it was easy to reach 60fps on games running on the 2013 Xbox One lmao. But once you leave that behind..

In a year or two, 30fps will be the standard again for all the big AAAs. You're not happy ? get a PC

GymWolf

What about amazing graphics?!
That explains how heavy it is. It's the best looking game this gen so far
Fucking please.

Stop apologizing for them, we both live in europe so we both paid big fucking money for this thing.

There is no universe where a full fledged open world that looks arguably better can have a 1440p60\1800p40 modes but somehow ff16 has to run at 720p to not even maintain 60 frame rock solid.

Fuck off with this shit.

Last edited:

vkbest

It's Square Enix, even Octopath traveller 2 had framerate drops at release in consoles (I don't know if they fixed). I bet the most Japanese companies think if the game average fps over 30fps, it's a good performance mode.

Last edited:

vkbest

What about amazing graphics?!
That explains how heavy it is. It's the best looking game this gen so far

lol, I don't think this game is looking better than God of War in PS4 Pro. Both running at the same unlocked crap framerate, but GOW at 1080p instead 720p

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
quality mode: DRS 1080p to 1440p upscaled to 4K
- Performance: DRS 720p to 1080p upscaled to 1440p. Combined with TAA 'doesn't look great'.
- The game seems to be using FSR 1, not FSR2

Yeah, I’ll be waiting on pc

Fabieter

I made both of these comments before the DF video.

If you put your bias to one side and have fully working vision you can easily tell how low resolution stuff is when FSR1 is used as it is a terrible solution that shouldn't be called upscaling.

It also depends what tv or pc monitor you use and how far you sitting away from your tv. I have a 65" 4k tv and sitting like 10 feet away. The blur is ridiculous but the ress is fine imo.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's Square Enix, even Octopath traveller 2 had framerate drops at release in consoles (I don't know if they fixed). I bet the most Japanese companies think if the game average fps over 30fps, it's a good performance mode.

lol, I don't think this game is looking better than God of War in PS4 Pro. Both running at the same unlocked crap framerate, but GOW at 1080p instead 720p
You guys are wrong and microsoft shills or something.
Have you played the game? It looks amazing and the production value is through the roof.
720p? right... we are counting 1% low dynamic resolution now too?

I am playing in quality mode and I dont care if performance mode is 480p. It might as well be, I DONT CARE.
All I care is that the game is amazing and it looks crazy good.

Kvally

Banned
You guys are wrong and microsoft shills or something.
Have you played the game? It looks amazing and the production value is through the roof.
720p? right... we are counting 1% low dynamic resolution now too?

Yup, played and completed the demo and spent 3 hours in it. I own the actual game as well. Not an MS shill by any means. I play PS more than Xbox.

All I care is that the game is amazing and it looks crazy good.

The gameplay is crazy good.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Crappy optimization, don't look further than that.
What I find funny about this is that Square Enix was out giving PR about how focusing on one platform and having access to Sony engineers due to the exclusivity helped them with the development. i.e., it was not all about the money.

Then the game comes out, runs at 720p in the 60 fps mode while dropping to 33 fps, and uses FSR 1.0.... ONE POINT O .... instead of FSR 2.0 which came out last year.

I told you all back then. All of that shit was PR. THey took the money to buy themselves yachts, cocaine and hookers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Also, it's super hypocrisy seeing all these 60fps warriors throwing "but its 720p" card.
But on every other occasion they yell "but I would paly 720p. only 60fps matters"... well apparently not.
I think they would be better off without performance mode at all like starfield. Now they get shit because they included performance mode but it's bad

At least this one looks kinda crossgen-y instead of completely old gen, baby steps in the right direction.
You are fucking blind man, sorry. PLay forpsoken. It looks great. I was kinda stunned at times whats going on in that game and the vistas. Maybe get a better tv with hdr.
OR PLAY THE FUCKING GAME instead of watching yt vid.

This is not last gen. Not at 4k40fps (dynamic 4k, closer to 1440p internally)
Old screenshots, pre patch but still. Forspoken looks very good and it's just the static environment. The combat and particles are very nice too. Absolutely nothing like that last gen.
Not at this res, loading times and so on. I am not even going to post ff16 shots again.
I am always posting screenshots, giving examples, arguing. Always my own screenshots and comparisons... and then people just say some dumb shit like you do and don't give any examples back

zmTaBWo.jpg

xlrOQRQ.jpg

qUTqGKL.jpg

GymWolf

I played forspoken more than you most probably, i had like 10 hours just in the demo let alone the complete game, so you don't have to show me how fucking bad it looked except for the main protagonist model (ingame because in cinematic she looks derpy af) and some particles here and there.

But thanks for the reminder.

P.s. i have the same tv as you.

Last edited:

GymWolf

What I find funny about this is that Square Enix was out giving PR about how focusing on one platform and having access to Sony engineers due to the exclusivity helped them with the development. i.e., it was not all about the money.

Then the game comes out, runs at 720p in the 60 fps mode while dropping to 33 fps, and uses FSR 1.0.... ONE POINT O .... instead of FSR 2.0 which came out last year.

I told you all back then. All of that shit was PR. THey took the money to buy themselves yachts, cocaine and hookers.
I fondly remember the director moving the character to show that the game was real, absolute comedy gold:lollipop_squinting:

Kvally

Banned
Also, it's super hypocrisy seeing all these 60fps warriors throwing "but its 720p" card.
But on every other occasion they yell "but I would paly 720p. only 60fps matters"... well apparently not.
I think they would be better off without performance mode at all like starfield. Now they get shit because they included performance mode but it's bad

You are fucking blind man, sorry. PLay forpsoken. It looks great. I was kinda stunned at times whats going on in that game and the vistas. Maybe get a better tv with hdr.
OR PLAY THE FUCKING GAME instead of watching yt vid.

This is not last gen. Not at 4k40fps (dynamic 4k, closer to 1440p internally)
Old screenshots, pre patch but still. Forspoken looks very good and it's just the static environment. The combat and particles are very nice too. Absolutely nothing like that last gen.
Not at this res, loading times and so on. I am not even going to post ff16 shots again.
I am always posting screenshots, giving examples, arguing. Always my own screenshots and comparisons... and then people just say some dumb shit like you do and don't give any examples back

zmTaBWo.jpg

xlrOQRQ.jpg

qUTqGKL.jpg
I love Forspoken. Their stupid watermarks in screenshots pisses me off though.

Top Bottom