• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki reveals ending to Shenmue saga

I wonder how the Mega64 guys pitch these ideas. Even more mysterious is how they get in touch with guys like Suzuki, Cliffy, and Miyamoto.

For a second, I thought he was serious. It's cool that he's doing this and had to watch it a second time to spot CliffyB on the drums and getting shot.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
disappeared said:
I wonder how the Mega64 guys pitch these ideas. Even more mysterious is how they get in touch with guys like Suzuki, Cliffy, and Miyamoto.

All their "video game celebrity" videos appear around GDC. I don't know how they can convince the Japanese guys to go along with them, but Mega64 is certainly popular enough here in America to get guys like CliffyB and Gabe Newell to agree to their silliness.

ZealousD said:
All their "video game celebrity" videos appear around GDC. I don't know how they can convince the Japanese guys to go along with them, but Mega64 is certainly popular enough here in America to get guys like CliffyB and Gabe Newell to agree to their silliness.
Their videos are played at big events during GDC and things like that too. They said that Kojima had seen their original MGS video before they ever talked to him about it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
They don't even need to make Shenmue 3 anymore. The real thing could never match up to this.

Forkball

Someone needs to gif the part where the subtitles read "That would have been tight. Oh well" with Yu walking away.

NeoGIF

Xater said:
I think this screenshot totally works:

OOdu3.jpg

Shenmue 3 to run on new Unreal Engine? Believe?

I think the Heavy Rain one was the best Mega64 skit they did at GDC this year. Shit was hysterical, and I can't find it anywhere. :(

Ezalc

How the fuck do they convince these people go along with their ridiculousness I'll never know. But it's fucking awesome.

ok, if we get everyone on neogaf to buy a lottery ticket, we can probably win and use the money to have this game made. it must be done.

So so good. I love the work that Mega64 does but I do hope they didn't write any of this and that Yu Suzuki did . It would be so much more amazing.

Suairyu

Banned
Whilst the real ending (or at least the events of the final act) to Shenmue has actually been known for ages, this is still a funny video. A laughed a little.

Suairyu said:
Whilst the real ending (or at least the events of the final act) to Shenmue has actually been known for ages, this is still a funny video. A laughed a little.

Really?!? What happens?

Suairyu

Banned
Acquiescence said:
Really?!? What happens?
Watch the Saturn video. Then watch the trailer to Shenmue Online (its second incarnation). Then read interviews pre-Shenmue I about the voyage Ryu would go on and shit.

Basically, Shen Hua and Lan Di go magical and duke it out. Phoenix vs. Dragon.

It's near enough spelt out Romeo+Juliet Prologue style in Shenmue I with all the legends and then BIG MAGICAL SWORD in Shenmue II confirms we're not talking about metaphoricals.

There was a massive meltdown online when that second-phase Shenmue Online trailer was released as a lot of people hadn't figured that magical, Lan Di vs Shen Hua would be the culmination of the story. Despite being in the Saturn development video and all the interviews.

They discussed some behind-the-scenes info for the Shenmue video on this week's Mega64 podcast (173). Confirms that Yu Suzuki is one great guy.

- He recognized Rocco as Ryo from their old Shenmue video.
- There was one part that was making Yu burst into laughter, requiring a few retakes.
- In Mega64's original script Ryo and Shenhua went at it in the cave, they sent the script to Sega, who requested that that part be changed to "Ryo explaining what love is to her" (Nobody knew what that was supposed to mean). The first version somehow got to Yu and crew at the event. Yu's response? "They can fool around, but I don't think they should go all the way."
- Sega set aside 2 hours to film the video, Mega64 got to the event said that they only needed a half-hour at most, leading to much joy among the Sega staff.
- Yu and his translator had trouble thinking up a proper translation for "Drum Circle."

Top Bottom