• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] #Shenmue creator has considered Yakuza 0-style prequel to continue series

Davevil

giphy.gif

Oh, fuck off, Yu Suzuki. You had your chance to finish the Shenmue series with part 3 and chose to instead waste everyone's time in hopes of making even more sequels in order to grift more money from the die hard fans of parts 1 and 2. Shenmue never sold well, it will never sell well, it will always be a niche title. Just finish the fucking story.

Data Ghost

As a massive Shenmue fan, I lost all interest/hope with the third game. Incredibly boring with hardly any story progression. Shenmue has a great legacy in the gaming world, but times have changed and it would take a massive overhaul and tons of money to properly revive Shenmue and bring it up to todays standards.

stn

They just need to finish the STORY. Then you can worry about a prequel. From what I recall the anime didn't go anywhere either storywise.
The anime finished both 1 and 2. Had they continued it, it probably would have finished 3 (and maybe more). Problem is, they cancelled the anime even though it did very well commercially and critically. Part of me thought they would cancel the anime anyway for poor viewership, and yet the opposite happened. Oh well.

Elios83

Making a prequel that is basically a reboot with modern gameplay and a story that can be fully enjoyed by everyone would be the best thing to do *in theory*.
But it's very unlikely that this series will be able to go beyond its dedicated niche.
It took Sega years of sequels to do that with the Yakuza series.
The Shenmue fans wanted the conclusion of the original story and this can't be given with a prequel and Suzuki messed up with the story in Shenmue 3.
So it's a really hard spot.

Last edited:

TaroYamada

I legit don't agree that it would take a ton of resources. The game could have literally been in the same engine, with asset reuse and everything, update it for 16:9 and I wouldn't care. The combat in 3 is awful, it is not awful in 1 or 2. I still find them gorgeous games. Chasing the gfx arms race was a mistake. If I were to advise him I would have advised seeing what could have been salvaged/built out of the original tech, that visual style is coming back anyways with indies playing on nostalgia.

Preserving the underlying gameplay of the original titles is more important than looking flashy or outpacing Skyrim in interactivity or whatever.

SonicJams

He had a once in a lifetime chance to finish the story and please fans, or do these playable flashbacks for a reboot / ending in a standalone shenmue title with that kickstarter.

As a day 1 backer I was gutted. I won't be strung along with future Shenmue games.
Agreed. Day 1 backer and now i couldnt care less about shenmue unfortunately. Number 3 was so terrible, this series died when that came out. Yakuza has clearly taken the reigns now.

SkylineRKR

Wasn't it possible to just asset flip DC assets and create S3 true to the first 2 games? The gameplay of S2 is imo fairly good, I still enjoyed the combat in the remaster. Similar to how Sonic Mania was handled.

What S3 became was a lifeless piece of shit on all accounts.

Basically I have same thoughts as #60.

Top Bottom