• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RGG Studio realized the series’ potential oversea after Yakuza 0 sales success on Steam

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

──I’ve heard that the Like a Dragon series really took off globally with the release of Yakuza 6. When was the moment you realized the series’ potential overseas?

Yokoyama:

Wasn’t it Yakuza 0?

Sakamoto:

Yes, when Yakuza 0 released on Steam, the sales really exceeded our expectations. We could see the potential in numbers.

──Have you noticed any characteristics of Steam users?

Sakamoto:

On Steam, there’s actually not so many players who play a game on its release day. However, when they do play it, Steam players take the time out of their day to launch their PCs and play the game thoroughly. I have the impression that, for PC players, whether it’s an indie game or an AAA game, as long as it’s fun, they will invest their time in it. I think that this is part of why a strange Japanese game about yakuzas managed to take off. The overseas users who hadn’t know of the Like a Dragon series got an opportunity to install it and try it out, and found it fun. This is what we make of it.

Garibaldi

Yakuza 0 was wonderful. I'd bounced off the series back with the first game on the PS2, never really bothered when it transitioned to the PS3 with Yakuza 3. After I played Zero tho...one of my most cherished series (although I still think Yakuza 1 is the weakest game, even the remake is questionable with it's combat)

Denton

I wish Yakuza series had proper voice acting instead of that weird half-step where some cutscenes are voiced, some are unvoiced and some are just weird character models making weird sounds at each other

just destroys my immersion

killatopak

It's the memes.

I mean I posted as well but the memes actually got me to go back to Yakuza after skipping out on 4 and the rest. It also made my family interested enough to play it because of my incessant playing of Baka Mitai.

NanaMiku

Definitely because of this

maxresdefault.jpg

Holammer

I think something similar happened with Persona. They finally got around to do a surprise release of Persona 4 Golden on Steam and it sold something in the 2M+ region. Back when the series had 10.2M in total. It changed everything.

gundalf

I've played 3, 4, 5, 6 and Like a Dragon but never 0.

To avoid series fatigue I probably won't play 0-2 (I've seen key story stuff anyway) and will just stick to new entries.

I would definitely play Zero next. I understand the sentiment but each new release is more polished which ages Zero little by little. So better to play Zero now while it still feels modern.

Deft Beck

I wish Yakuza series had proper voice acting instead of that weird half-step where some cutscenes are voiced, some are unvoiced and some are just weird character models making weird sounds at each other

just destroys my immersion

They do this because often these games have a content pipeline where everything is produced out of order of the actual player experience. Content is added, shifted around, cut and put back into the game. They need flexibility in order to ensure everything will come together in the end. It's similar to how big-budget movies are filmed out of scene order so that they can schedule actors and staff appropriately.

Denton

They do this because often these games have a content pipeline where everything is produced out of order of the actual player experience. Content is added, shifted around, cut and put back into the game. They need flexibility in order to ensure everything will come together in the end. It's similar to how big-budget movies are filmed out of scene order so that they can schedule actors and staff appropriately.
They should fix their content pipeline then. If bigger games made by much smaller companies on much more limited budgets (like e.g. Witcher 1 or Kingdom Come) can have full voice acting, then so should Yakuzas - especially now when they fully intentionally target worldwide audience.

(of course, yakuza fanboys will likely make excuses for it and claim it is unnecessary or whatever)

Last edited:

Bridges

I've played 3, 4, 5, 6 and Like a Dragon but never 0.

To avoid series fatigue I probably won't play 0-2 (I've seen key story stuff anyway) and will just stick to new entries.
Woah

0 and 2 are top entries alongside 6, definitely worth being played.

1 is probably the worst one but really important for story purposes. I understand not wanting to get fatigued but I can't imagine playing the series without those three

Spyxos

Gold Member
My first Yakuza was Part 3 and i didn't like it at all. Then one day i decided to play Yakuza 0 and fell in love.

kiphalfton

Woah

0 and 2 are top entries alongside 6, definitely worth being played.

1 is probably the worst one but really important for story purposes. I understand not wanting to get fatigued but I can't imagine playing the series without those three

I got fatigue after one game (Kiwami). So I can only imagine playing all 7.

I don't doubt they're good games based off just playing Kiwami, but they're also fairly long if you do side stuff.

Last edited:

Pelao

I was always curious about this franchise and wanted to give it a try, but there came a point when there were so many games that it became a daunting task. As a total Edo period nerd, the recent release of Ishin on Gamepass was like a godsend. I am LOVING this game. I can't believe it took Sega so many years to bring it to the west. I guess I have the success of Yakuza 0 to thank for that. I still don't know if I'll play the main series, but I'm more than open to giving these kinds of spinoffs a chance. I wish they would port Kenzan to modern platforms.

Top Bottom