• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is the longest Yakuza game yet: "If you go at it continuously, you'll get sick"

x4HxtPJCpU24EGS7gmQQNd-650-80.jpg.webp

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth will be the longest Yakuza game to date.

In a new interview with Game Watch (and translated by Automaton Media), Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio head Masayoshi Yokoyama dubbed Infinite Wealth a "monster-class game longer than anything we’ve made so far," and something that can't be completed in just one or two all-nighters.
"This means that a lot of people are going to hesitate to play the game or will end up having it wait on their shelves. I found the possibility of that kind of outcome sad, so I thought, we have to get everyone hyped up enough to play it," Yokoyama added of Infinite Wealth's length.

"We have to get people to play the game in about a week or a month, even at the cost of their health, which is why it’s our duty as creators to generate enough to be excited about. I've thought this way for the past year or two – for a game like Infinite Wealth, we have to get a festival going on. It would feel kind of rude to just drop such a long game and be done with it," Yokoyama continued with a laugh.
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth being the longest Yakuza game to date is saying something. 2020's Like a Dragon could easily run for over 50 hours, by the time you were all said and done with the grind, and a lot of the previous Kiryu-led Yakuza games could last anywhere between 20 and 30 hours, even if you were sticking religiously to the main story.
The prospect of Infinite Wealth not only being the longest Yakuza game, but also folding in huge elements like the Animal Crossing-style island, is a lot to take. It's understandable to see why Yokoyama feels a lot of people will get put off from such a long game, but it's also easy to see why he feels like he needs to get people heated enough to play the entire thing.

Last edited:
Welp, I think the original Kiryu entries length around 30 hours was just about right.

Yakuza 7 I believe I spent about 80 hours on it, definitely felt like a bit slog. It was during the lockdown time so I had the time but nowadays I'm not going to spend that many hours.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I played Like A Dragon like it was a long-running TV series - a few months of a few hours every night. I'm fine with the next game being a lot longer, it just means it'll take me longer to beat.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I really hope the combat system is better. I enjoyed Y7 but it was real bargain basement JRPG in terms of the actual combat mechanics. I hope they brought on some experts from Square or Atlus or something to spice it up.

It was their first turn-based and it did far better than most of Square's trash. I'd even go as far and say it's prolly top 3 alongside persona 5 royal. Only issue I had was that it was too easy. Haters gonna hate

diffusionx

Gold Member
It was their first turn-based and it did far better than most of Square's trash. I'd even go as far and say it's prolly top 3 alongside persona 5 royal. Only issue I had was that it was too easy. Haters gonna hate
It was fine, but I played JRPGs on SNES with more interesting combat. Like I said, I enjoyed the game, and yea it was their first one so it's fine, but this one needs to be a lot better.

xrnzaaas

My PS5 shows I've spent over 100 hours with Yakuza 7 and I wasn't trying to platinum it or grind to max level. Gotta say I was never bored and I was genuinely surprised with that number. Don't mind me and bring even more content, just avoid turning the game into a slog like Yakuza 5.

• Love
Reactions: Isa

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Yeah i will skip this one.
Yakuza might be the most overrated game franchise i have ever played at this point. And they are making like 3 of them in a span of one year, crazy padding and bloat with low quality content. Will never understand the hype behind it, is it the memes people post on Twitter? must be that!
Now listen here, Pepperoni

It's the waifus! You put waifus in your pizza and you'll be rich!

Listen Here Leah Remini GIF by TV Land

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This type of game can be as long as you wanted to be, you can choose to do the side stuff or just do the main story.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

I don't mind the game being longer, I just hope the cutscene is not too long like MGS4 cutscene. IIRC, some of the cutscenes in Like a Dragon 7 are pretty long.

YukiOnna

RPG's should be long, so that's a good thing to me. Plus, more Ryu ga Gotoku to get immersed in!

Besides, I respect Yokoyama's take a lot more than that muppet Strauss. At least he respects the price point and customer base:
It’s making sure the game is so good that people are glad they played it. The whole team is very strict about not lowering the bar when it comes to quality. To have people spend their time is the same as taking money from them, so we take it seriously. With that said, I don’t intend to make stories that will please everyone. Whatever the responses, I want to make a story that users can’t forget. Since they’re giving up 100 long hours of their life to play it, I want it to be a fun and unforgettable 100 hours for them.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m on chapter 9 of like a dragon currently and I’m under the impression it has 15 chapters , and totals about 30 hours if I ignore most side quests.

I think that’s what I did with Ishin and really enjoyed it that way.

If it’s a lot longer I’ll be fine if the pacing is still well done to keep each chapter to a couple hours. Then I feel like I’m making progress.

I’m trying to complete like a dragon and the man with no ball hair before infinite waifus comes out.

NanaMiku

Ive never played yakuza games and im scared to get into them. Theres so many and they seem so long
I think Yakuza games are not that long if you only play the main story. There are so many distractions in Yakuza, from the side story to the mini games.

Madjaba

I feel like Yakuza is now like Destiny. Don't try to get it now - you just missed it.
Or just take your time as it's not a race and you can play each games in their respective order.

The games are all available on modern platform for players to enjoy, sure there are a lot of them but you can try Yakuza 0 and see if it clicks with you.

If so, you're in for a great ride !

rkofan87

Gold Member
this is the only game that can be 100 or more hours and be fun start to end lets gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Last edited:

SCB3

I'm ok with long games but LAD had a major issue of locking you out of progress unless you grinded some of the side stuff about halfway through the game and then again towards the end, it got really tedious really fast in that way. And I'm not talking a hour or so, that grind is a good 8 or so hours worth

It also had a issue where the story could naturally conclude a couple of times but has that "But wait, theres more" thing more than once to the point where I didn't believe any "Ending" until that credits rolled, and even then unless I saw the Main Menu I couldn't look away

If it can avoid those some what, I'll be happy and having finished up The Man who Erased his Name yesterday, more than ready to see the story continue

FingerBang

I feel like Yakuza is now like Destiny. Don't try to get it now - you just missed it.
You can still play the old Yakuza games and the content is the same. Also, here's the point most seem to miss, you don't really need to play all of them to understand the plot of the new ones.

1 to 6 are sequels to each other, but each one of them are their own story.
Zero is a prequel that has little connection to the 6 above
Yakuza LAD is its own series
Kenzan, Ishin are spin-offs that take place in the past using the same characters in different roles
Of the end is another spin off with shooting mechanics
Judgment/Lost Judgment are their own thing

If you want to get into the series now:
Do you like RPG? If yes, go with Yakuza LAD
Do you like action games? Yakuza 0 or 1 are a great start, and so is Judgment.

You can easily jump into Yakuza LAD or Judgment and still enjoy the game a lot.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I played Like A Dragon like it was a long-running TV series - a few months of a few hours every night. I'm fine with the next game being a lot longer, it just means it'll take me longer to beat.

Wish certain other games get the same comments and treatment when they are “too long”.
Smart man you are, enjoy

BWJinxing

I don't recall finishing like a dragon.

The turn based combat got reparative.

I played the demo for infinite wealth. I like what I see. Though the battle system still seems like the extender

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Can't see this as a good thing

Like a Dragon was really big. I got more than a 100 hours... But I was like: I should have beat the game by now. I understand having a lot of side quests, and Yakuza always did right - I took three days to finish the Ichiban food thing, but the story was too big too, and I was tired by the end

Top Bottom