• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth | Review Thread

capsule_616x353.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Platforms:
  • PC (Jan 26, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jan 26, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jan 26, 2024)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Jan 26, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Jan 26, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio

Publisher: SEGA

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 90 average - 100% recommended

image.png

Metacritic - 90 average based on 68 Critic Reviews

image.png

Written Reviews

Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 100 / 100
There is no other way to put it, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is the best game in the entire series, and one of the best of the year. This is a must-play experience for all fans.

Attack of the Fanboy - Diego Perez - 4.5 / 5
With a refined battle system, a stellar supporting cast, and the best side content the series has ever seen, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is one of the best RPGs of the modern era.

But Why Tho? - Eddie De Santiago - 10 / 10
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth feels like a victory lap while simultaneously paving the way for the future of the franchise.

CGMagazine - Justin Wood - 10 / 10
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth sets a new standard for the Yakuza series with its captivating story, mesmerizing gameplay, and richly detailed side activities.

COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 90 / 100
With its touching yet hilarious story and intricate, deep combat system, we already have a game of the year contender.

Chicas Gamers - Juanma Luengo - Spanish - Unscored
Ichiban has returned with a bang in one of the best Yakuza saga titles ever made. The charisma of all the characters and the almost absurd variety of missions, activities and mini-games make it a sink of hours at the controls that are impossible to resist. Of course, if you have not played any Yakuza before or the previous Like a dragon it may not be a game for you and you should decide to start with the recent Like a dragon gaiden or with the first Like a dragon starring Ichiban.

Console Creatures - Dennis Price - Recommended
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is not just Ichiban's best game yet, but so far, it may be my favourite in the series, hands down.

Cultured Vultures - Ashley Bates - 9 / 10
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth sun-baked adventure expertly improves on the last game's formula, while giving enough space for both of its leading Dragons to truly shine.

Daily Mirror - Scott McCrae - 5 / 5
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth features one of the series' best stories yet, all while packing in a wealth of fantastic side content

Destructoid - Eric Van Allen - 8 / 10
Among the wealth of Like a Dragon games we’ve had over the last year or so, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is easily the stand-out for me.

Dexerto - Jeremy Gan - 4 / 5
Yakuza is a unique series, and for a long time, it felt like the only reason it worked in all its glorious surreality and heartfelt storylines was Kiryu. However, Infinite Wealth proves Yakuza can exist past Kiryu’s legacy, and Ichiban is the right man to bring about Yakuza’s new generation.

Digital Spy - Ben Rayner - 4.5 / 5
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is another rich entry in this long-running series, which clearly still has more to offer before it runs out of steam.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 4 / 5
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is the most emotionally impactful chapter in gaming’s best soap opera. It struggles to stay fully engaging from start to finish due to a supersized runtime filled with exhausting exposition dumps, but developer Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio delivers a deeply personal story that’s serious without sacrificing its heart. If any video game could leave you with a new lease on life, it’s this.

Digitec Magazine - Domagoj Belancic - German - Unscored
Infinite Wealth is a chaotic masterpiece. The game celebrates its silliness and just lets me have fun in its colorful open world. The revised combat system offers additional strategic depth and a highly entertaining, over the top presentation. The side activities are the best in the series. The addicting "Sujimon" and "Dondoko Island" mini-games in particular allow you to completely lose yourself and invest countless hours in them.

Despite its silliness, Infinite Wealth manages to establish believable characters and evoke deep emotions. Kiryu's touching story in particular will bring tears to the eyes of long-time fans. Newcomers will quickly be overwhelmed by the countless characters, storylines and gameplay mechanics. If you want to get into the Like a Dragon series, I recommend you start with an older installment and save this wild work of art as the crowning conclusion.

Eurogamer - Kaan Serin - 4 / 5
Violent stakes once again meet zany shenanigans in Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, the series' much-improved second RPG.

FandomWire - Luke Addison - 9 / 10
The amount of content, time, and thought that has been put into Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is staggering, and it's inarguable that it is worth every penny for both fans of the franchise, but also those wanting to try it out for the first time. Even though I was lucky enough to have my copy of the game three weeks before this review went live, I can say there are still huge amounts of gameplay left for me to play, with the multiple mini-games, substories, and activities keeping me entertained. If I had to put a number on it, there are easily triple-digit hours worth of game here, and nearly all of it is incredible.

There are a few bugbears to put up with, with the odd bug here and there, some character models do look poor - reserved for the infrequently seen side-characters or the NPCs on the streets -, and some parts of the city do feel empty, and not lived in. That said, not only are these all relatively minimal and inconsequential to the larger experience, but you'll quickly realize that the good way outweighs the small amounts of bad, and you'll have an absolute blast in what could be the studio's best game yet.

Final Weapon - Raul Ochoa - 5 / 5
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is the mountaintop of the Like a Dragon series and a spectacular title that manages to impress from start to finish. This is a grand, momentous adventure that sees players control both of the series protagonists in a story that ultimately shapes the future of Like a Dragon. It's a masterpiece that improves gameplay systems from Yakuza: Like a Dragon while driving ambition in many other aspects.

GGRecon - Dave McAdam - 5 / 5
Suffice it to say, Infinite Wealth has everything good about the Like a Dragon series going for it. The previous game was a revolution, a total change of what a Like a Dragon game is. Infinite Wealth is evolution, the ideas of the past polished and perfected.

GamesRadar+ - Hirun Cryer - 4 / 5
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is a sublime RPG with a fantastic combat system, absorbing stories, and at-times fascinating story, if it wasn't let down by its drip-fed narrative nature and heavy nostalgic leanings

Gaming Nexus - Eric Hauter - 9.5 / 10
The scope and depth of Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth are stunning, as is the amount of addictive fun the game provides. With a ton of new mechanics, minigames that are more like full-sized games, and great characters, this enormous (and enormously entertaining) action/RPG title is one of the best values in AAA gaming. Like a Dragon is willing to do anything to entertain you. You should probably get on board if you aren't already.

GamingBolt - Pramath - 9 / 10
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is a staggeringly massive RPG featuring the culmination of all that RGG Studios, and the Yakuza/Like a Dragon franchise, have worked towards over the last two decades. An incredibly high quality experience that doubles down on everything that was beloved about the previous entry, Infinite Wealth completes the series' transformation into a genre-leading JRPG franchise.

GamingTrend - Henry Viola - 95 / 100
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is a triumph, and a worthy continuation of the Like a Dragon franchise. RGG Studio has managed to improve on the gameplay mechanics and features of the previous title in virtually every way whilst upholding the narrative quality and goofy nature of the series. The game is not without its flaws, but they are overshadowed by its strengths, and the game deserves praise for its ambition and innovation. Infinite Wealth is undoubtedly an early game of the year contender, and a must play for RPG lovers and Yakuza enthusiasts alike.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 10 / 10
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is the studio's best ever work, giving us one hell of a story, and gameplay that remains fun throughout.

IGN - Tristan Ogilvie - 9 / 10
Sprawling, enthralling, and packed with dynamic brawling, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth isn’t just the best turn-based Like a Dragon game, it’s one of the greatest games in the entire series.

IGN Italy - Francesco Destri - Italian - 8 / 10
Not everything is well-focused in Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, but the rate of cringe and exaggeration in narrative and gameplay is such that is almost impossible not being entertained.

IGN Spain - Rafa Del Río - Spanish - 9 / 10
After the departure of Toshihiro Nagoshi, Ryu ga Gotoku Studio shows its best side in an installment that brings together past and future without sparing any means or affection. Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth unites fans of Kiryu Kazuma and Kasuga Ichiban in a great adventure in which laughter and tears are guaranteed.

Impulsegamer - Gareth Newnham - 4.1 / 5
Baffling business decisions aside, Infinite Wealth is another stellar entry in the Like a Dragon series.

Infinite Start - Mark Fajardo - 9 / 10
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth surpasses expectations with its seamless integration of compelling narrative, diverse gameplay mechanics, and innovative features such as tag team attacks, or Sujimon Battles. The meticulously crafted landscapes of Yokohama, and Hawaii, complemented by the return of beloved characters elevate the narrative, captivating both series veterans and newcomers alike. Positioned as a must-play, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth offers an unforgettable journey through vibrant worlds that firmly establishes it as an early standout among the best games of 2024.

LevelUp - Pedro Pérez Cesari - Spanish - 9 / 10
Quote not yet available

PC Gamer - Dominic Tarason - 80 / 100
Stuffed with content and pathos, Infinite Wealth delivers a near-excessive amount of urban crime-drama adventure.

PCGamesN - Harry Schofield - 9 / 10
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is the end result of two decades of iteration from Ryu Ga Gotoku and the studio's best game yet. Sprawling but never bloated, it remains captivating from beginning to end across both its main narrative and bountiful side adventures, almost never missing a beat.

PCMag - Zackery Cuevas - 4 / 5
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is packed with the absurd humor, crime drama, and mini-games you expect from the JRPG series.

PSX Brasil - Isabella Alves - Portuguese - 90 / 100
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is, along with Lost Judgment, one of RGG's most ambitious titles. The union of the two dragons brings a mature plot, full of intrigue, with fun and exciting moments, but also a strong criticism of our society.

PlayStation Universe - Joe Richards - 9 / 10
Despite changing the name of the franchise for us in the West, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is more of the same that we've come to love. A huge variety of content to dive into and an ambitious, heartening story help to bring this package into one that fans of the series will absolutely adore. RGG Studios have polished the foundations of the new RPG battle system to a shine in this new entry and the result is a game full of personality and refreshing spirit that is a joy to experience from beginning to end. This game is an ambitious jump into a new frontier for the Like A Dragon franchise and is all the better for it. For those who have experienced the story of Like A Dragon up until now, you be doing yourself a disservice to miss this.

Press Start - Kieron Verbrugge - 9 / 10
Infinite Wealth is a stellar follow-up to Yakuza: Like a Dragon in just about every way. It's bigger, bolder and with some smart tweaks to combat it's a significantly better turn-based RPG. Series fans have a ton to look forward to in the larger-than-life story and emotional character moments, and though there are some glaring issues with its dungeons and post-game offerings, the end result is the franchise's best entry yet.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 9 / 10
Like a Dragon fans will turn up in their droves for a new Yakuza story regardless of overall quality, but never has one been as utterly essential as Infinite Wealth.

RPG Fan - Jonathan Logan - 94%
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth provides not just an incredible Yakuza and JRPG experience, but provides a darn near infinite amount of content as well.

RPGamer - Sam Wachter - 4 / 5
The story is over-the-top bananas in the best way possible, and the twists and turns are definitely gasp-worthy. The fresh faces do a great job cementing themselves as new favourites, and the addition of Hawaii makes for a great setting change. While there is some recycling of assets and the collision issues are still present, it doesn’t detract from the overall experience. Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is addictive, campy, and a game to easily lose oneself in.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Ed Thorn - Unscored
A colossal JRPG that improves on its predecessor in ways big and small, making for an unmissable Hawaiian retreat.

Saudi Gamer - عصام الشهوان - Arabic - 8 / 10
The game builds on what Yakuza: Like a Dragon laid the foundation for, with a host of improvements and a much larger game. A proper send off for Kiryu and a new beginning for Kasuga.

Siliconera - Graham Russell - 9 / 10
As overstuffed as it is, we didn't want Infinite Wealth to end. It's such a high-effort package with tons of heart, and it's hard not to let that endearing feel sand down some of the game's rough mechanical edges.

Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 8.8 / 10
Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth is the golden bridge between the glorious past of the franchise and its bright future. It's a rich game and an epic RPG, a celebration of the videogame medium itself and a modern twist on both the Shenmue and the Earthbound games. It can be slow at times and it requires knowledge of characters and events from previous games, but it's still a monumental effort.

Stevivor - Matt Gosper - 9.5 / 10
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth is devoted to trying all-new things while still reserving time for celebrating its long and storied history.

VG247 - Mark Warren - 5 / 5
It’s a game about finding out who your mates are, and that they’ll be there for you no matter whether you need a good laugh, a telling off or a helping hand.

VGC - Jordan Middler - 5 / 5
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is one of the best RPGs we've played in years. Excellent combat, a wonderful cast of characters, and a willingness to be incredibly weird make it absolutely unmissable. Not only that, but it's so full to the brim with things to do, we could have probably spent another three weeks with it and not finished everything.

VideoGamer - Antony Terence - 9 / 10
Infinite Wealth honours its dying dragon and rising star with a Hawaiian platter of side stories, memoirs, and dynamic combat.

WhatIfGaming - Hristijan Pavlovski - 10 / 10
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth elevates the series to new heights. It takes existing ideas from the series, and adds layers of complexity, engaging content, and charm on top of it to create an unforgettable experience that walks a fine line between earnestly dramatic moments, and over-the-top hilarity. Ichiban Kasuga is one of the best protagonists in gaming, and I can't wait to see where Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio takes him next.

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 87%
After a bit of a difficult start, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth soon manages to hit the gas, its story proving an engaging affair amid an ocean of mini-games and other distractions. This is a massive game, but one you'll want to dive headfirst into.

XboxEra - Jared Tracton - 9 / 10
It’s not often that I’ll sit down and enjoy a game throughout the entirety of my playthrough. Even the best reviewed games will have parts of it that exist simply to extend the games length for no real reason (I’m looking at you, GTAV). Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth opens 2024 with a bang, showcasing the best of what the series has to offer and more.

eXputer - Usama Mehmood - 4.5 / 5
Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth is a JRPG powerhouse, delivering one of the most endearing stories to date and an aspiring open-world design.

Video Reviews

Last edited:

saintjules

I am so all over the place with playing Yakuza storyline wise.

I started at 4 on the PS4, but want to go back and finish it. Finished Yakuza 0 and started Kiwami 1, never finished. Finished Yakuza LAD but will most likely go to this next since I finished LAD recently.

Might just have to do recaps at this point.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Very happy for RGG for hitting this high mark with Infinite Wealth. Will probably wait a month or two before picking it up as I literally just received my Asian copy of Like a Dragon: Gaiden a few hours ago. XD
Yap, I advise you to tackle Gaiden first before playing this.

Not only is a good game, but sets up Infinite Wealth pretty damn well. Missing Gaiden and going straight to Infinite Wealth doesn't feel the same.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Question, I'm currently finishing up
Yakuza 7 Like a Dragon. I just got "The Man who Erased His Name".

Do I need to finish TMWEHN before starting Infinite Wealth? Or can I jump in straight from Yakuza 7?

LordCBH

Never in doubt on my end. This series has been special for almost 20 years and I’m glad people realize it now.

• Love
Reactions: Isa

FeralEcho

Seems like 2024 will continue the winning streak of great games of 2023 judging by the reviews of Tekken 8 and Infinite Wealth.As well as Prince of Persia The lost crown which turned out great as well.

StereoVsn

Yup! So much great stuff to play yet so little time for it...

I'm trying to fix all that though by playing most of the stuff on PS Portal during break, etc.

And speaking of Like a Dragon Gaiden I really like how clean the cover is.

20240123_150501.jpg

Yeah, I am running games through Ally or my PC now as it’s rare I can sit down for a few hours in front of the TV.

But still, this year is going to be crazy. Tempted by Tekken as well but will give that one a few months for DLCs to drop first.

Edit: I got the same VGP copy and cover is indeed in English. But even with Play Asia version it seemed to be in English as well.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I am so all over the place with playing Yakuza storyline wise.

I started at 4 on the PS4, but want to go back and finish it. Finished Yakuza 0 and started Kiwami 1, never finished. Finished Yakuza LAD but will most likely go to this next since I finished LAD recently.

Might just have to do recaps at this point.
Hit up man who erased his name before this. Literally 10-12 hour quick romp and that’s with me doing 80% of side content.

Very much worth your time.

Chukhopops

Question, I'm currently finishing up
Yakuza 7 Like a Dragon. I just got "The Man who Erased His Name".

Do I need to finish TMWEHN before starting Infinite Wealth? Or can I jump in straight from Yakuza 7?
Both Gaiden and Y7 happen at the same time, so you wouldn’t miss any critical event (plus there’s always a recap at the beginning).

If you’ve played most of previous Yakuza games then Gaiden is worth it for all the references to previous episodes, it’s full of nostalgia and love for them.

Complistic

Anyone have a recommendation on play order for this series? I'm playing zero right now and love it but I'm not sure which older games I need to play to bring me up to speed on the newer ones. Though I plan on playing them all eventually.

Mossybrew

I'm a part-time Yakuza fan and have never felt the need to play every one of these games, but after Like a Dragon, I really need this one. Though I am gonna be patient, this is a huge meal of a game and I need to get some other ones off my plate first to properly enjoy it.

• Strength
Reactions: Isa

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone have a recommendation on play order for this series? I'm playing zero right now and love it but I'm not sure which older games I need to play to bring me up to speed on the newer ones. Though I plan on playing them all eventually.
Honestly I'd say just start with Like A Dragon. Then maybe play Gaiden, then this one. If you like Gaiden, the go back and play 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 in order I guess.

Playing the older ones after zero is going to be rough. I just watched them on YT

Spyxos

Gold Member
Great review thread!

Oh no, the next Yakuza game is coming out in 3 days. I'm almost done with the man who erased his name. And I was actually more interested in the new game, but I just can't play them so soon after each other.

SolidQ

Anyone have a recommendation on play order for this series?
0 > 1> 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name > Like a Dragon (it's more standalone game) > Like a Dragon Infinity Wealth (Based on trailers seems alot characters from 0-6)

For those who played Yakuza 6
What is Joongi Han doing in Infinity wealth, wasn't he killed in 6?

Last edited:
0 > 1> 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name > Like a Dragon (it's more standalone game) > Like a Dragon Infinity Wealth (Based on trailers seems alot characters from 0-6)

Y7 should be played before Gaiden, not after

He's not the same person. Just has the same name

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
He's a body-double who took on the persona of Joongi Han after his death. He's a main character and party member in Like A Dragon.

Top Bottom