• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is the longest Yakuza game yet: "If you go at it continuously, you'll get sick"

Toots

Gold Member
Im so out of the loop (while having finished every yakuza except the rpg one, i still have standard), that i did not know NaGOATshi has been replaced by this sorry looking weirdo.

To think we went from this metrosexual god
fi0sXaD.jpg

to this
6oQBVih.jpg

Anyway for the doubters, here is the metrosexual god personal life part on wikipedia :

"Nagoshi grew up in Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi in a small port town. He had a close relationship with his grandmother more than anyone else. His father was known to be in perpetual debt, something for which Nagoshi was frequently ostracized by other children. As an adult, he elected to leave his hometown for Tokyo and enroll into Tokyo Zokei University. Nagoshi has said that his interest in video games and game development was sparked when his girlfriend at the time gave him a Famicom with a copy of Super Mario Bros.. After gradually working his way up at Sega, he decided to return to his hometown in an effort to repay all of his father's numerous debts. In a tragic turn of events, a fire burned down his childhood home and claimed the life of his grandmother. His parents were physically unscathed, though his mother was left mentally scarred to such an extreme extent that she allegedly could not even recognize her own family. As a result of this, Nagoshi's relationship with his father deepened. Nagoshi has said that these events served as the primary source of inspiration for Yakuza's narrative.[11]

Asked about his personal appearance, fashion style and how it changed over time, Nagoshi says he adapts to what his current girlfriend is into."

On one side he is a real life yakuza character who faced hardships only someone with the mental fortitude of Kazuma Kiryu could endure, and lived a life few could compare to, on the other he's a total simp and not afraid to tell everyone. He is the metrosexual goat i tell you :messenger_sunglasses:

yxg60DG.jpg
7eYpVOX.jpg
RpIK4Gn.jpg
vsAE8KF.jpg
FYwTsgm.jpg

wc2Yf29.jpg
(obviously for this last one his girlfriend at the time was really into twinks :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:)

Last edited:

SimTourist

Im so out of the loop (while having finished every yakuza except the rpg one, i still have standard), that i did not know NaGOATshi has been replaced by this sorry looking weirdo.

fi0sXaD.jpg

to this
6oQBVih.jpg

Anyway for the doubters, here is the metrosexual god personal life part on wikipedia :

"Nagoshi grew up in Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi in a small port town. He had a close relationship with his grandmother more than anyone else. His father was known to be in perpetual debt, something for which Nagoshi was frequently ostracized by other children. As an adult, he elected to leave his hometown for Tokyo and enroll into Tokyo Zokei University. Nagoshi has said that his interest in video games and game development was sparked when his girlfriend at the time gave him a Famicom with a copy of Super Mario Bros.. After gradually working his way up at Sega, he decided to return to his hometown in an effort to repay all of his father's numerous debts. In a tragic turn of events, a fire burned down his childhood home and claimed the life of his grandmother. His parents were physically unscathed, though his mother was left mentally scarred to such an extreme extent that she allegedly could not even recognize her own family. As a result of this, Nagoshi's relationship with his father deepened. Nagoshi has said that these events served as the primary source of inspiration for Yakuza's narrative.[11]

Asked about his personal appearance, fashion style and how it changed over time, Nagoshi says he adapts to what his current girlfriend is into."

On one side he is a real life yakuza character who faced hardships only someone with the mental fortitude of Kazuma Kiryu could endure, and lived a life few could compare to, on the other he's a total simp and not afraid to tell everyone. He is the metrosexual goat i tell you :messenger_sunglasses:

yxg60DG.jpg
7eYpVOX.jpg
RpIK4Gn.jpg
vsAE8KF.jpg
FYwTsgm.jpg

wc2Yf29.jpg
(obviously for this last one his girlfriend at the time was really into twinks :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:)
I was worried too but the ending to Like a Dragon Gaiden shows me that the team still has it and understands the characters perfectly.

Toots

Gold Member
I was worried too but the ending to Like a Dragon Gaiden shows me that the team still has it and understands the characters perfectly.
I believe you, plus Gaiden was unanimously praised as a great entry.
(it was kind of an excuse to pull out some old TGS nagoshi x babes pics :messenger_grinning_sweat: ... To be fair the new director has exactly the kind of weird but elaborate style Nagoshi had... Like a gay mob boss or something so im pretty sure he's the right man for the job)

NanaMiku

Like a Dragon 7 and 8's director is Ryosuke Horii, the one who brings the wacky things to the series. I trust him

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

fi0sXaD.jpg

to this
6oQBVih.jpg

yxg60DG.jpg
7eYpVOX.jpg
RpIK4Gn.jpg
vsAE8KF.jpg
FYwTsgm.jpg

wc2Yf29.jpg

Remember that time he was going out with that really plain looking girl.....

3txUUn2.jpg

Bkdk

WondI e how big the world would be though, and hopefully a lot of hostess and hoping for fuck scenes and harem ! Can’t be like a dragon without harem.

NanaMiku

WondI e how big the world would be though, and hopefully a lot of hostess and hoping for fuck scenes and harem ! Can’t be like a dragon without harem.
Also don't forget the Animal Crossing mode. I think the island is pretty big

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nagoshi was making cool games when he looked different too, he didn't have to become a real life Yakuza character (obviously stylistically only, not like he does crimes) to keep doing so but chose to (probably the money with his new roles/success helped) and it's fine. Not everyone has to. Dude you're trying to insult over his appearance has been with the series from day one and pretty integral to it. Obviously Nagoshi wasn't making the games by himself and they've proven they have what it takes even without him and even when they do radical changes you wouldn't think would work.
nagoshi5_large.jpg
Yama.jpg

And what makes you think he's gay? Or why do you even care if he is, you mention that out of the blue, are you in love? I believe he's married with kids, not like you'll ever meet him though. I'd think he qualifies as metrosexual too, doubt that image is all without extensive grooming anyway, he dyes his hair and everything and is only ~10 years younger than Nagoshi, maybe Kiryu's new look is even a bit based on him, what, just because there are more casual every day photos too? Though again I dunno why that matters at all or why you imply it has anything to do with the quality of the series.
img_members.png
reflectingon-1080x608.jpg
FyvFbsJagAArkKS

The current studio head has been the series writer since day one so, obviously.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ive never played yakuza games and im scared to get into them. Theres so many and they seem so long

There’s a lot of ways to get into it, and remember you control your time.

I personally tried 0 in the past, and a few chapters of like a dragon.

This year Ishin came out which has no connection to the other games. I played that and loved it.

You could :

Play Ishin to start

Could play just Judgement and Lost Judgement which are separate but have same gameplay

You could play Yakuza 0

You could just start with Like a Dragon, then go back to 0 after.

—-

The games are fairly confined if you don’t go balls deep in mini games and side quests. The main story seems to cap out at 30 hours for most of these titles if you focus on them. That’s fairly digestible .

I personally would recommend Like a Dragon if you want a turn based rpg filled to the brim with charm , humor, and a well done story full of well written characters.

Or, shit, fire up the man who erased his name and just enjoy the ride.

Moriah20

fi0sXaD.jpg

to this
6oQBVih.jpg

yxg60DG.jpg
7eYpVOX.jpg
RpIK4Gn.jpg
vsAE8KF.jpg
FYwTsgm.jpg

wc2Yf29.jpg

this is genuinely one of the weirdest posts on this website

YukiOnna

Yokoyama has been in the same scenario role on this franchise since Ryu ga Gotoku 2, I don't know why he's being treated as some newbie. Ryosuke Horii is a long time lead member of the studio, as well.

Last edited:

geary

I played Like A Dragon like it was a long-running TV series - a few months of a few hours every night. I'm fine with the next game being a lot longer, it just means it'll take me longer to beat.
Thats how i play Ubisoft games and actually enjoy them. If you rush on these very long games you’ll get burned out and start resenting the games

Comandr

I mean, the yakuza 8 demo is fantastic. And it plays really well on handheld even without any official driver updates so that’s a bonus. The game is going to be an absolute banger from start to finish and I can’t wait to blow 100+ hours on it. Fuck me upppp

Toots

Gold Member
And what makes you think he's gay? Or why do you even care if he is, you mention that out of the blue, are you in love?
Where did i mentioned him being gay ?
Metrosexual doesn't mean gay.
I cannot stand ignorant boomer homophobic views.
Educate yourselve you queer bashing homo.

Just kidding this woman told me
Fpa0Xw2.jpg

When we were dating a while ago...
At the time I was looking a little bit like-a this
Iv8ey9L.jpg

(but really i never said he was gay, why should i even care about what is going on in his pants ? We're talking style and fashion only here, like real men. So please sashay away🕺)

this is genuinely one of the weirdest posts on this website
You're too kind :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Hudo

fi0sXaD.jpg

to this
6oQBVih.jpg

yxg60DG.jpg
7eYpVOX.jpg
RpIK4Gn.jpg
vsAE8KF.jpg
FYwTsgm.jpg

wc2Yf29.jpg
I love how you begin with "I am out of the loop".

Elysium44

Banned
Yeah i will skip this one.
Yakuza might be the most overrated game franchise i have ever played at this point. And they are making like 3 of them in a span of one year, crazy padding and bloat with low quality content. Will never understand the hype behind it, is it the memes people post on Twitter? must be that!

Same, I was foolish enough to buy several Yakuza games at once because they sounded so great. Started playing from Yakuza 0 (on PC) and could never get into it. I've played 8.5 hours total in 6 years 😂

I thought they would be similar to GTA or Sleeping Dogs but set in Japan. I didn't realise all the games were carbon copies of each other (essentially) and most of the story was told through text messages like a visual novel. Nor did I realise how tedious the gameplay mechanics were. Same goes for the Persona games which I also can't get into. But they are apparently gigantically popular so what do I know.

Bry0

I wish they’d bring back the little “stomach filling” mini game when you eat from 6 and Konami 2, where you combine the different foods to fill your stomach and get xp bonuses. Am I the only one that thought that was genius??

Last edited:

Fbh

Hopefully they can pull it off.
Yakuza has always done length well IMO because the main story is decently paced and not overly bloated. They still offer 60+ hours of content but a lot of it is optional so you can decide which content to engage with.
It used to be that if you spent 65 hours playing a Yakuza game it's because you decided to spend a lot of time on the optional stuff, not because the game was dragging you along through some never ending bloated main story like Persona 5.

There's very few studios that can pull off these 60 hours main stories well, hopefully this team is one of them

Another reason to ignore it.
Even games I love would get worse by lengthening them, way below that "get sick" mark. Games rarely have content for more than 10 hours, 20 max. So 30 to 40h should only be reached when multiple playthroughs are required/encouraged. I almost never like longer games, the quality always suffers in one form another. Max Payne, Wolfenstein, Ryse, Superhot, Hotshot Racing, Matterfall everything that did not overstay their welcome was always nice for the days they lasted, while everything that goes on and on and on over weeks tarnishes itself by stretching everything and leaving a sour taste behind.

Alexios

Where did i mentioned him being gay ?
Metrosexual doesn't mean gay.
I meant you called the new studio head gay, not Nagoshi that you called metrosexual, it's clear who I was referring to if you read - I did google what's the meaning of the stupid words you were spouting to put the "new" (that has been series writer since the beginning) guy down before replying🤦‍♂️
Like a gay mob boss or something
So, you are the one who put "metrosexual" (obviously straight, as above) Nagoshi vs "gay mob boss" Yokoyama as if it matters and yes, after telling you he too is metrosexual and I believe married with kids too, that's all I asked too:
Toots said:
why should i even care about what is going on in his pants ?
Seems you agree even though you try to pin it on me (while attempting to insult me with the pejorative slang term "homo") and say you were just speaking about fashion etc. when, again, both qualify as the definition of metrosexual (doubtful he looks like that at 47 without taking care of himself).
I cannot stand ignorant boomer homophobic views.
Educate yourselve you queer bashing homo.
Sure, you're so progressive, that's why while trying to call me out for hating gays with zero evidence you also in the same line try to insult me (clearly you weren't praising or being tolerant with me) as a "homo" after being the one to bring anybody's sexual orientation up in the first place🤦‍♂️

I just pointed out some ways you were wrong about a guy you bashed based on a photo because you were ignorant of who he is, how integral to the series he's been and how like everyone, Nagoshi too, he has other photos and all you said to me is omg you hate gays and you're gay. Whatever🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I meant you called the new studio head gay, not Nagoshi that you called metrosexual, it's clear who I was referring to if you read - I did google what's the meaning of the stupid words you were spouting to put the "new" (that has been series writer since the beginning) guy down before replying🤦‍♂️

So, you are the one who put "metrosexual" (obviously straight, as above) Nagoshi vs "gay mob boss" Yokoyama as if it matters and yes, after telling you he too is metrosexual and I believe married with kids too, that's all I asked too:

Seems you agree even though you try to pin it on me (while attempting to insult me with the pejorative slang term "homo") and say you were just speaking about fashion etc. when, again, both qualify as the definition of metrosexual (doubtful he looks like that at 47 without taking care of himself).

Sure, you're so progressive, that's why while trying to call me out for hating gays with zero evidence you also in the same line try to insult me (clearly you weren't praising or being tolerant with me) as a "homo" after being the one to bring anybody's sexual orientation up in the first place🤦‍♂️

I just pointed out some ways you were wrong about a guy you bashed based on a photo because you were ignorant of who he is, how integral to the series he's been and how like everyone, Nagoshi too, he has other photos and all you said to me is omg you hate gays and you're gay. Whatever🤷‍♂️
But where did i say that the new studio head was gay ??

Wait... I get it now.

When i said "on one hand he had a life like a yakuza character, and on the other hand he is a total simp" i was talking about the same person : Nagoshi !
I love the way he can be two extremely different things at the same time.
The other dude i just called a weirdo.
English isn't my first language so maybe i wasn't clear enough ?

About the "we're talking about fashion and style like real men" "Educate yourself you queer bashing homo" you said it yourself best
all you said to me is omg you hate gays and you're gay. Whatever🤷‍♂️
And i was using queer slang usually only used by queer persons (sashay away).
it was a troll, the kind you do when someone takes your silly posts seriously.
In fact im always trying to walk the fine line between totally serious and totally stupid (sometimes it works sometimes not).
I see that my "educate yourself" was not silly enough so everyone could understand how stupid it was and could be taken at face value. I don't think you're a boomer or homophobic or anything, i just said that because you reacted. It was silly banter don't take it personally.

Joke is on him. I always do random battles and arcade stuff while doing side missions. I play the main story missions once in a blue moon.

Alexios

But where did i say that the new studio head was gay ??
I literally quoted you there, do you still not see it after not remembering you wrote it or what is wrong with you? No, I'm not talking about when you were speaking about Nagoshi, no I don't think you called Nagoshi gay, no I never thought metrosexual is gay. Just read your own damn posts.

Ctrl+F, gay, and the first result is your own dang post. Anyway, I'm done with this, ignored.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I literally quoted you there, do you still not see it after not remembering you wrote it or what is wrong with you? No, I'm not talking about when you were speaking about Nagoshi, no I don't think you called Nagoshi gay, no I never thought metrosexual is gay. Just read your own damn posts.

Ctrl+F, gay, and the first result is your own dang post. Anyway, I'm done with this, ignored.
You are dense.
I never called anyone gay you moron, i said "To be fair the new director has exactly the kind of weird but elaborate style Nagoshi had... Like a gay mob boss or something so im pretty sure he's the right man for the job".
It is only in your head that anyone here cares about who's gay or not.
I try to get you to understand where you went wrong and you come back with one of the most stupid argument possible ("i searched a word out of context and found it in your post, it means i'm right"). Your level of bad faith is at tantrum throwing kid, it's ugly to watch.

All in all I think your poor understanding of the english language prevents you to see how dumb your uber serious stance on a obvious joke post is.

Still, as a parting gift for you, here's my artist rendition of the whole ordeal

AXAa27A.jpg

PS : Love your control+Gay command. Did you learn it in queerputer science 101 ?
Anyway I also tried it and on the page and all your posts came out (;)). Go figure.

Top Bottom