• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 FW 3.60 is up

Noshino

helium121 said:
The only feature I want is to be able to deactivate systems I nor my friends no longer have. I'm down to my last one and it scares me to think I may lose everything I paid for if my system dies on me. Make it a plus feature if needed. I don't care.

Call Sony, they can deactivate them remotely

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidusDave said:
Well at least the PSN "folder" (with description) is displayed on the top of the savegame list, so you can't miss it. Don't know if the common user ever looks in there though :D

Exactly :D

BTW, I can't find my LBP2 save on my system. Only the LBP1 shows up. Any ideas?

TTP said:

LBP1&2 now save the stuff in the game data, you have to first export a normal savegame from within the game(s).

Andvary

TTP said:

You have to back up your profile within LBP2 first, then the savegame will appear in the save data folder.

Dead Man

Backing up locked saves is the only reason I like the idea of cloud saving, otherwise I would prefer USB saves. No + for me anyway, so another failed update, Sony.

Noticed something different, stupid, but different. Friends Los now sorts all uppercase friends first, lower case second. IE A is first but a is after Z.

Carl

Dead Man said:
Backing up locked saves is the only reason I like the idea of cloud saving, otherwise I would prefer USB saves. No + for me anyway, so another failed update, Sony.

Failed update 'cause it doesn't effect you? Kay then

Dead Man

Carl said:
Failed update 'cause it doesn't effect you? Kay then
Failed update since there is not very much for non + users. All I see as a PSN user is an update that adds no features I want. So yeah, failed to me. Got a problem with that?

domlolz

Banned
how can steam offer cloud storage for everyone but sony can't? They could of just given us plebes 15mb and PSN+ people whatever the fuck they want, hey that'd be grand!

Mush

domlolz said:
how can steam offer cloud storage for everyone but sony can't? They could of just given us plebes 15mb and PSN+ people whatever the fuck they want, hey that'd be grand!
"Hey since Microsoft is charging for online functionality we can too!"

newjeruse

Well Sony probably can. But it's a selling point for a service they want you to purchase. If full cross-integration with the NGP comes to fruition, it's a pretty big selling point IMO.

onken

Dead Man said:
Failed update since there is not very much for non + users. All I see as a PSN user is an update that adds no features I want. So yeah, failed to me. Got a problem with that?

Firmware updates for games consoles: serious business.

Dead Man

onken said:
Firmware updates for games consoles: serious business.
Nah, not really, just an irritation when they don't offer me anything I want. But hey, apparently throw away hyperbole on a message board = serious business now.

Noshino

domlolz said:

I might be mistaken but, while Steam's cloud saving is available for everyone, it isn't available for everything.

kitch9

Banned
Dead Man said:

This update is for the scene it appears from some of the moaning going off over there..... One guy reckons Sonys changed all the loaders with a new system and all with new keys. They've added another level of security too he says.

Not sure if he's just winding people up though....

Dead Man

kitch9 said:
This update is for the scene it appears from some of the moaning going off over there..... One guy reckons Sonys changed all the loaders with a new system and all with new keys. They've added another level of security too he says.

Not sure if he's just winding people up though....
Yeah, I assume every update from now on will incorporate some security upgrade. No idea if what that guys says is true though either. No homebrew for me either, so still not effected other than to be made to use some of my download quota for the month :)

jintek

Banned
Just updated my virgin Slim a minute ago, I'm not a PSN Plus member so the cloud is useless to me. I really wish they'd focus on adding useful features for everyone instead of removing loaders and upping security that will be broken eventually... In any case, I need some scene entertainment so the NPDRM/newfangled CFW needs to be released soon!

My CFW PS3 still on 3.55... :)

lupinko

Noshino said:
I might be mistaken but, while Steam's cloud saving is available for everyone, it isn't available for everything.
You are correct, iirc cloud saves are only for steamworks games.

lupinko said:
Yeah, it's for every steam user but it works for steamwork titles only e.g. Halflife, Portal, etc etc.

Steam is a godsend but it's hard to replicate that in consoles especially when right now subscription is the number one priority for both Sony and Microsoft, and you need to give reasons to people to pay.

Noshino

lupinko said:

I wonder if there is anyone on the Steam thread going all

"how can sony offer cloud storage for every game but steam can't?"

I would get lynched if I tried... :C

Its up to the devs, really. In PS3 it's easier cause all games save in one folder. In PC, all developers have their own way of saving files in different folder.

That said, what else the firmware add?

Noshino

shagg_187 said:
Its up to the devs, really. In PS3 it's easier cause all games save in one folder. In PC, all developers have their own way of saving files in different folder.

Oh, I know and understand, hell, I don't like to compare the PC and Console gaming markets as they are very different, but people just like to bring up the comparisons every single time.

Dead Man said:

Join us on the plus side, our grass is greener, our women prettier and our beer tastes like beer.

I still want a beastin web browser...

My phone web browser is better... and has like half the ram. There are some other features I want... I just can't think of them at the moment. They are mainly small things that get annoying.

kassatsu

Banned
KaKaRoToKS said:
For now, it looks to me (at first glance) that the ps3 has been resecured, but it doesn't mean it can't be broken again from scratch..

KaKaRoToKS said:
Wow, in 3.60, Sony removed all the loaders, no more isoldr/lv1ldr/lv2ldr/appldr.. but they added lv0.2! Seems they found a way to secure ps3

orly

It would have been great if the cloud save was larger, Mafia 2 save is around 45MB, I've pretty much filled up the 150MB limit already :( Nice that the lock saves can be uploaded :)

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Wario64 said:
Why do you guys think I'm joking? It literally says that on the release notes.

Anyway, you can change it to 10 minutes, 20 minutes, or 30 minutes. So, the new auto-sleep times are pretty much worthless. It just extends the amount of time.

It's not useless. Not a major feature of course but who claimed it was. Some people want longer times between their controller turning off, it's a valid thing to add.

But I get your deal, you got to be funny and sarcastic etc. For the record, I want more useful features as well but I don't blame Sony for putting their money and effort into securing their system. Not that that should ideally interfere with adding new features but I am sure it does. I don't really feel they've addressed any of the requests list items they put up on their blog where you got to vote on what you felt was the most important stuff.

Wow, in 3.60, Sony removed all the loaders, no more isoldr/lv1ldr/lv2ldr/appldr.. but they added lv0.2! Seems they found a way to secure ps3

So does that mean all the "news" saying that the PS3 was never going to be secure again not true now then?

Carl

MrTroubleMaker said:
It would have been great if the cloud save was larger, Mafia 2 save is around 45MB, I've pretty much filled up the 150MB limit already :( Nice that the lock saves can be uploaded :)

I'd be surprised if it isn't increased in time, if/when Sony start to make more money from the service.

ymmv

Banned
I don't think Sony has put a lot of thought into the cloud save feature. In my case I purchased a PSN+ for a secondary account. I didn't think it would make any difference, but now I can't use the online storage option fully.

It looks like the "online storage" save feature is only possible if your main account is also the active PSN+ account. If you want to copy save games of other user accounts on your PS3 to the cloud, you've got to copy them first to your main PSN+ account before you can back them up online. The problem is, that doesn't work for all save games. You can't copy protected games saves to another PSN account on your system so I still can't back those up.

Pros:
- Backup! Yay!
- Not a lot of games to backup since most of them are options settings so I backed up all singleplayer campaigns and it's a total of 20MB. Not bad!

Cons:
- Can't save everything all together or lack of group saves makes it tiring process;
- 24 hour lockdown is some bullshit!
- 150MB might not be enough since some game have massive filesizes.
- Can't save minis or PSOne.

Other thoughts: Some people won't use it cause they have no reason to, or that they don't know it's available since it's hidden in the save file section and not under Network.

Noshino

ymmv said:
I don't think Sony has put a lot of thought into the cloud save feature. In my case I purchased a PSN+ for a secondary account. I didn't think it would make any difference, but now I can't use the online storage option fully.

It looks like the "online storage" save feature is only possible if your main account is also the active PSN+ account. If you want to copy save games of other user accounts on your PS3 to the cloud, you've got to copy them first to your main PSN+ account before you can back them up online. The problem is, that doesn't work for all save games. You can't copy protected games saves to another PSN account on your system so I still can't back those up.

I don't think anyone expected it to work that way....

IrishNinja

Trevelyon said:
Cheers.

If I'm gonna try to resurrect my old Phatty for the purposes of uploading dead saves, I don't wanna waste a second on downloading the firmware through the console. Time is of the essence.

just wanted to say, best of luck here, man.

on-custom-firmware-eveuhkj.jpg

Irish

Terrordactyl said:
Noticed something different, stupid, but different. Friends Los now sorts all uppercase friends first, lower case second. IE A is first but a is after Z.

This is annoying as fuck. Sony really needs to give you the option of going back to the old way. Half my friends list starts their name with a lowercase letter.

How am I supposed to keep a constant eye on aj if he is now midway through my friends list and I have to go in and out of those damned text chats?

Audioboxer

I understand a copy all function could be prone to errors due to space issues, but they really need to add a "select what you want by checkbox" feature.

Doing it all individually is a bit of a pain, the above would at least make it a little more automatic.

test_account said:
Who hosts the cloud on custom firmware? ;) (i know that it is referring to that it is possible to take backup of all savegames on CFW, i'm just joking aroud =)).

EDIT: What is the origin of that face by the way? I have seen it several of places, so i'm just wondering.

Trollface

test_account

XP-39C²
I understand a copy all function could be prone to errors due to space issues, but they really need to add a "select what you want by checkbox" feature.

Doing it all individually is a bit of the pain, the above would at least make it a little more automatic.
That would be nice. It is possible to do this when sending a message through PSN i think (to select multiply users from the friends list), so maybe it is possible to have a similar solution on savegames as well :)

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Ah ok, thanks for the info :)

Audioboxer

test_account said:
That would be nice. It is possible to do this when sending a message through PSN i think (to select multiply users from the friends list), so maybe it is possible to have a similar solution on savegames as well :)

Yeah, when you're copying video/music files to and from the PS3 you get the option to select multiple as well.

Surely it can be added in the next firmware and not 5 down the line.

shagg_187 said:
Pros:
- Backup! Yay!
- Not a lot of games to backup since most of them are options settings so I backed up all singleplayer campaigns and it's a total of 20MB. Not bad!

Cons:
- Can't save everything all together or lack of group saves makes it tiring process;
- 24 hour lockdown is some bullshit!
- 150MB might not be enough since some game have massive filesizes.
- Can't save minis or PSOne.

Other thoughts: Some people won't use it cause they have no reason to, or that they don't know it's available since it's hidden in the save file section and not under Network.

Assassin's Creed 2/BR were about 7MB right there.

After saving the ones I wanted, I have 135 MB left. Don't care about the 24 hour lockdown.

Good feature. I've already given up hope about Universal custom soundtracks, so anything from here is just a bonus.

MrPliskin

Banned
I seriously hope this new "sorting" of the friends list is fucking unintentional. Who in the hell thought this shit was a good idea? Seriously?!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Anybody else Friend's List fucked up?

Friend's list getting people who are away (yellow icon) still be blue?

I'm using the Sort By - Status, not Names
My friend has his status away, so he is at the bottom, but he still has a blue icon

When he becomes available, he doesn't come back to the top of my list, his name starts with an A

Name = Alphabetical, stays that way, never changes
Status = whoever is logged in, it's Alphabetical, first the Available, then if someone is away it puts below the last available friend, and goes Alphabetical again, then people logged off by how many minutes off PSN

Yeah 3.60 glitched friend's list, my friend also has the problem, he just confirmed

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MrPliskin said:
I seriously hope this new "sorting" of the friends list is fucking unintentional. Who in the hell thought this shit was a good idea? Seriously?!

The new clock. It makes no sense.

Top Bottom