• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

I think unsurprisingly, CODifying KZ3 has done pretty much nothing to help sales. Nice job Guerilla, all you have really succeeded at is alienating the series' long time fans.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Nirolak said:
Though I can't say releasing it in the same month as Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim, and the next Assassin's Creed was Sony's greatest idea ever.
Oh God.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Nirolak said:
Though I can't say releasing it in the same month as Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim, and the next Assassin's Creed was Sony's greatest idea ever.

But the release date is perfect!!!!!!!!11.1.11!!!

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
rosjos44 said:
I still think its funny that it took COD BO on every system to outsell Wii play which is only on one system.
How many copies do you think Call of Duty would sell if it cost only $10 extra to get it bundled with a controller?

Snuggler said:
Look forward to seeing the actual numbers for KZ3, since it seemed Gorilla/Sony were pushing for a more expanded audience with some of the changes. Did it pay off, or did they just make their fanbase even smaller? Tune in to find out.

INNIWAYS, rats of to Microsauce. Two months removed for the holiday season, and they're still going strong as ever. Looks like they'll be holding the lead for most of the foreseeable future, with Sony finishing last being a sure thing at this point. The war rages on, but this battle has been won.

IN the US, yes. Worldwide, probably not.

Kusagari

Pretty much every 20 something male in America has fond memories of Mortal Kombat. You guys are vastly underestimating the potential for a game that goes back to the series roots.

xbhaskarx

Watchtower said:
Psychotext said:
Those percentages were based on dollar sales... so whilst it might work for the Wii (has it had a price cut?) it probably wont for the PS3 (Move bundles, etc).
Still if it's anywhere close to that Sony might actually talk numbers this month!

Exactly, so when Sony remains silent on PS3 sales numbers once again this month, it will be proof that these 450k numbers are being thrown around by people who can't read or do math.

VerTiGo

Banned
fernoca said:
Combined: 50k less that SFIV, 600k more than Super.

I wonder what those games have sold through long term, now that they're both digitally distributed and price cut. I still see noobs on SSFIV and that's quite refreshing.

FrankT

Nirolak said:

Never know ME3 may show up as well. Month will packed and especially so if Halo CE RE makes it. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved it into Oct. Just give me Skyrim that is all I need ever. Though if ME3 does show up it's going to make for tough game time allocation.

rosjos44

user_nat said:
How many copies do you think Call of Duty would sell if it cost only $10 extra to get it bundled with a controller?

STill the point being that it took more than 3 platforms to outsell a game on 1 platform. Regardless of what Wii play had attached to the box its still crazy that not one game on one platform can beat it.

rosjos44 said:
I still think its funny that it took COD BO on every system to outsell Wii play which is only on one system.

In such a short time, though. Wii Play took many, many months to reach that total--and set a record for most months charting, IIRC. Black Ops' sales are ridiculous. The "play what everyone else is playing" hive-mind mentality that the industry has always had is horribly magnified by social connectivity.

So what if MK is M rated? Isn't that the point to this one, and what will cause it to sell BETTER?

The hype for this MK is just as big as MvC, maybe more. Kids will eat it up. MK is the most 'kid-friendly' thing ever invented.

mxgt

Banned
God damn, I wonder how long it's going to take for the COD series to lose steam. Each iteration is more popular than the one before it and with MW3 coming this year will that sell even more?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
xbhaskarx said:
Exactly, so when Sony remains silent on PS3 sales numbers once again this month, it will be proof that these 450k numbers are being thrown around by people who can't read or do math.
We do know it sold more than 360k though, which is still pretty good.

So really it's probably >360k and <450k.

rosjos44

Leondexter said:
In such a short time, though. Wii Play took many, many months to reach that total--and set a record for most months charting, IIRC. Black Ops' sales are ridiculous.

I agree they are crazy high.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jtyettis said:
Never know ME3 may show up as well. Month will packed and especially so if Halo CE RE makes it. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved it into Oct. Just give me Skyrim that is all I need ever. Though if ME3 does show up it's going to make for tough game time allocation.
I suspect both Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 will be in October, along with Saints Row 3, which is a surprisingly huge franchise among more casual game enthusiasts.

Then there's also NBA 2K11 which was the third biggest game in the U.S. last year.

evolution

LeoStenbuck said:
I think unsurprisingly, CODifying KZ3 has done pretty much nothing to help sales. Nice job Guerilla, all you have really succeeded at is alienating the series' long time fans.
Catering to the longs time fans would've only made the number lower

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Why For? said:
Did I read right that the 360 is ahead of the PS3 in the US by 10 million consoles?

That can't be right. Because if the PS3 is supposedly only 2 or 3 mill behind WW, then there must be a SHITLOAD of channel stuffing going on.

Because the PS3 is only 2 mill ahead in Japan, and it's behind in the UK and Australia, so there's no way the rest of the world has made up the other 6 or 7 mill.

Surely the difference isn't 10 mill in the US.

It's more than 2 million ahead in Japan...

PS3 | 6.354.659 |

360 | 1.445.145 |

Elios83

Why For? said:
Did I read right that the 360 is ahead of the PS3 in the US by 10 million consoles?

That can't be right. Because if the PS3 is supposedly only 2 or 3 mill behind WW, then there must be a SHITLOAD of channel stuffing going on.

Because the PS3 is only 2 mill ahead in Japan, and it's behind in the UK and Australia, so there's no way the rest of the world has made up the other 6 or 7 mill.

360 is 5m behind PS3 in Japan.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
duk said:
Where was the marketing for KZ3? Have not seen ANY commercials for it.
I saw a lot of them, but they were those horrible Kevin Butler ads. Sony really should reconsider their marketing strategy because those KB ads are horrible in advertising their games, in my opinion.

apana

Kusagari said:
Pretty much every 20 something male in America has fond memories of Mortal Kombat. You guys are vastly underestimating the potential for a game that goes back to the series roots.

No we don't.

Ridley327

CartridgeBlower said:
So what if MK is M rated? Isn't that the point to this one, and what will cause it to sell BETTER?

The hype for this MK is just as big as MvC, maybe more. Kids will eat it up. MK is the most 'kid-friendly' thing ever invented.
It seems to be the hook for the hardcore, but MKvsDC sold 2 million copies before Midway went tits up. From my recollection of the reception for that game, the hardcore didn't care much for that game at all.

Why For? said:

PS3 is ahead of 360 pretty much everywhere else in the world besides those you listed, and higher than that in Japan. PAL territory is made of of a whole lot more than the UK. You also have Latin America and many territories we never get numbers for

duk said:
I have poor expectations for PS3 major 1st/2nd party games for later this year then. Almost every major game has underperformed.

Underperformed by whose standards? I didnt think they ever revealed what their sales targets were for most games, with some selling surprisingly to them, like Heavy Rain if I remember, and if they did give the games sequels, then they at least performed as expected...

kswiston

user_nat said:

Extra controllers are not nearly as important to the 360 or PS3 console experience as there are to the Wii console experience. Wii Play was the right idea at the right time. People were buying the system largely for Wii Sports early on. People needed as second controller (if not a third and fourth). Wii play provided them with a game superficially similar to Wii Sports, for $10 more than the controller they were going to buy anyhow.

Game Guru

Simply marvelous for MvC3. I'm also glad Mario, DK, and Pokemon sold that well. At this point, I believe that PS3 will not be able to get out of their third place position in the US, although there is some chance to obtain a worldwide second place. As far as Xbox 360's sales go, if it is because of Kinect, then MS continues to show that they made the better decision. I admit that I was skeptical of Kinect doing well, but Microsoft proved me wrong. As for people deriding Kinect, can anyone really blame Microsoft for focusing on appealing to the casual audiences after the success that DS, Wii, iOS and Facebook games had with that market?

apana said:
No we dont.

Thank you. I'm 30-something, not 20-something, but I have no doubt that I can speak for many 20- and 30-somethings out there when I say "strong memories" would be more accurate. "Fond memories" is a stretch.

edit: I suppose you can have fond memories of a bad game (series). Never mind.

jvm

Gamasutra.
For the sake of completeness:
Sony PR said:
NPD’s February numbers illustrate continued growth of the entire PlayStation 3 ecosystem, including increases in hardware, software and peripheral sales. PlayStation’s exclusive titles, combined with stereoscopic 3D and precision motion controlled gaming, continue to resonate with consumers, and we look forward to furthering the momentum with MotorStorm Apocalypse and SOCOM 4 next month.
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

MS PR said:
February was the biggest non-holiday* month of console sales in the U.S. in the history of the Xbox, according to NPD. For the second month in a row, Xbox 360 was the number one console, maintaining its lead in the U.S. as the top selling console in 2011.

February 2011 NPD highlights include:

· February Xbox 360 console sales were the strongest ever with 535,000 units sold, soundly beating most industry analyst forecasts. (Source: NPD Group, February 2011)
· Xbox 360 console sales were up 27 percent year over year in February, the fastest growth of any current generation console on the market. (Source: NPD Group, February 2011)
· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform (hardware, software and accessories) reached $475 million, the highest among current generation consoles. (Source: NPD Group, February 2011)

· During the month of February, four of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: “Call of Duty: Black Ops,” “Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds,” “Bulletstorm,” and “NBA 2K11.” (Source: NPD Group, February 2011)

Globally, Kinect continues to be a leading factor in the overall Xbox 360 momentum with Microsoft announcing yesterday it has sold 10 million Kinect sensors and more than 10 million standalone Kinect games worldwide. Additionally, Kinect has been awarded by Guinness World Records as the fastest-selling consumer electronics device in a 60-day period.

Microsoft expects the momentum to continue throughout 2011 as Xbox 360 owners look forward to the arrival of Kinect-enabled Netflix and Hulu Plus, Avatar Kinect as well as a diverse catalog of new games.

*Non-holiday months refer to any month outside of October, November and December

Nintendo PR said:
Nintendo’s Wii™ console has crossed the 35 million sales mark in the United States, according to the NPD Group. More than 454,000 Wii consoles sold in February to put Wii across the 35 million mark faster than any other console in U.S. history.

February proved to be a notable month for Nintendo software as well. Not only was Just Dance 2 from Ubisoft the No. 1 best-selling game of the month with more than 554,000 sold, but four Nintendo games reached new sales milestones. Donkey Kong Country™ Returns for the Wii console, which launched in November 2010, crossed the 2 million mark in February, while New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii, which launched in November 2009, just crossed the 8 million sales mark.

On the portable side, the Pokémon™ SoulSilver Version game for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems launched in March 2010 and crossed the 2 million sales mark in February, while the New Super Mario Bros. game, which launched in May 2006, just passed 9 million in sales. These milestones further demonstrate the “evergreen” nature of games that play on Nintendo systems.

Why For?

Banned
Kagari said:
It's more than 2 million ahead in Japan...

PS3 | 6.354.659 |

360 | 1.445.145 |

Ok, then that makes a difference.

Not sure what made me think 2 mill. But then not sure what made me think less than 10 in the US.

Road

Why For? said:

What?

xbhaskarx

GavinGT said:
I delivered pizzas to the Microsoft store in the mall the other day. There must have been 40 employees and about 150 people crammed into this relatively small store. They might as well have renamed it Kinect store. They had about twenty Kinect demo stations, with some set up outside the store in the main walkway. Every person that walked by had to stop and look. Shit's crazy.

Really, this long after launch? Where was this?

rosjos44 said:

You are an idiot.

Cels

MK9 will sell well.

MKvDC was mediocre but still sold millions, and everything is pointing to MK9 being highly polished which not to be underestimated (whether or not the core fighting experience is as good as MvC3 is another question)

kitzkozan

BattleMonkey said:
PS3 is ahead of 360 pretty much everywhere else in the world besides those you listed, and higher than that in Japan. PAL territory is made of of a whole lot more than the UK. You also have Latin America and many territories we never get numbers for

Yeah,Microsoft still need to find ways to become much more appealing outside of the US.Japan will be the hardest challenge,but they should start by improving their brand perception in Europe.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
PlayStation’s exclusive titles, combined with stereoscopic 3D and precision motion controlled gaming, continue to resonate with consumers, and we look forward to furthering the momentum with MotorStorm Apocalypse and SOCOM 4 next month.

If only you would actually advertise them properly, if only.

kswiston

apana said:
No we don't.

You must be in your early 20s then, because 17 years ago when I was in Grade 5, Mortal Kombat II was the greatest thing ever.

I sympathize with you, if your 11 year old self had to make due with Mortal Kombat 4 instead.

Grecco

Cels said:
MK9 will sell well.

MKvDC was mediocre but still sold millions, and everything is pointing to MK9 being highly polished which not to be underestimated (whether or not the core fighting experience is as good as MvC3 is another question)

Nobody is saying MK9 wont sell well, but to suggest its gonna "Blow MVC3" out of the water and beat MVC3 and all that is silly. People underestimante Marvels popularity. Or overestimate MKs.

Top Bottom