• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) February 2024: #1 Helldivers 2 #2 FF7 Rebirth #4 Skull and Bones #8 FF7 Twin Pack; PS5 #1 Units+Rev, Switch #2 Units Xbox #2 Rev

Unknown?

CI2rHkj.png
More than 2:1 in their #1 market.

Jaybe

Hope Sony learns from this. You have arguably the most viral Sony exclusive in years topping the charts and it still led to a 19% drop in sales.

The one thing to remember with this -19 decline in revenue vs Feb 2023 is that Feb 2023 was the largest month ever for a PlayStation platform driven by increased supply and Hogwarts Legacy. So holding that close to the highest February they ever achieved is actually quite the performance.

Mr.Phoenix

so basically based on matt responding to that troll post:

xbox -19%?
ps -20+%
switch -20+%

tbh the decline in playstation sales considering the stock availability, slim bundled with spiderman, and the launch of FF is very bad for the market.... PC and mobile are really taking off this year.
You are joking right? You have got to be joking.

leo-j

The one thing to remember with this -19 decline in revenue vs Feb 2023 is that Feb 2023 was the largest month ever for a PlayStation platform driven by increased supply and Hogwarts Legacy. So holding that close to the highest February they ever achieved is actually quite the performance.
true, but still the console is $449/$399 with their most popular ip bundled and the launch of the biggest FF game since XVI, and their biggest game since spiderman with hell divers. Maybe the digital console selling more units at $399 this year also affects that total revenue decline calculation so it isn't as bad as it seems at least when it comes to unit sales.

Mr.Phoenix

Hope Sony learns from this. You have arguably the most viral Sony exclusive in years topping the charts and it still led to a 19% drop in sales.

If the exclusives are not selling consoles then they are going to find themselves in the same situation as Microsoft. Not right away but eventually. Everyone wants to be on steam to increase their profits but if it comes at the cost of selling consoles and increasing your eco system dollars then wtf is the point? The entire point of an exclusive is to drive console sales.
You must also be joking. People seem to have got jokes today. Is it Friday or something?

leo-j

You are joking right? You have got to be joking.
nope, back during the ps3 era and early ps4 days, the launch of major 3rd party exclusives would increase hardware sales substantionally world wide. Metal Gear Solid 4 being the best example of that. You can argue FF VII remake did the same for PS during the later days of the ps4 as well. The sequel dropping, having little affect on hardware sales, in fact hardware sales declining is a concern imo.

Mr Moose

Helldivers II doing really well especially since this is revenue based (I prefer by copies sold but still, aren't these the only ones that do it by revenue?).
Final Fantasy doing well.

If the exclusives are not selling consoles then they are going to find themselves in the same situation as Microsoft. Not right away but eventually. Everyone wants to be on steam to increase their profits but if it comes at the cost of selling consoles and increasing your eco system dollars then wtf is the point? The entire point of an exclusive is to drive console sales.
YoY though, right? Last year they were coming off stock issues, so it's not really that surprising.

Mr.Phoenix

nope, back during the ps3 era and early ps4 days, the launch of major 3rd party exclusives would increase hardware sales substantionally world wide. Metal Gear Solid 4 being the best example of that. You can argue FF VII remake did the same for PS during the later days of the ps4 as well. The sequel dropping, having little affect on hardware sales, in fact hardware sales declining is a concern imo.
Wow... so you were serious.

Ok, can't really be bothered to get too into it, so I'll summarize. the PS5 sold almost 500k units in February last year. That's not just an anomaly, it's the highest-selling February Playstation has had in its 3-decade history. By a lot. Mostly due to the fact that supply was finally meeting pent-up demand. That it only dropped by 20% if that is accurate is actually impressive.

And on another note, the PS5slim digital+spiderman 2 bundle started in March, not February. The one prior (PS5 slim disc drive sku + SM2) still cost $500. The digital bundle cost $400. What these numbers are supposed to tell you, if you are finding something negative to latch onto, is that the PS5 is overdue a price drop.

Never, in the history of PlayStation (or any console for that matter) has there not been a price drop (but instead a price hike) past the console's third year on the market and into its fourth.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Xbox is so fucked. Feels like there is no hope for them turning this around especially considering their multiplatform approach now. What would even be the "thing" that would help Xbox console sales at this point? Any game that comes out will be littered with articles that talk about the future PS5 version in the works. Phil absolutely fucked the console brand.

DrFigs

Helldivers II doing really well especially since this is revenue based (I prefer by copies sold but still, aren't these the only ones that do it by revenue?).
Final Fantasy doing well.
YoY though, right? Last year they were coming off stock issues, so it's not really that surprising.
oh yeah you are right. its a 40 dollar game, which means it sold a shit ton

H-I-M

That's not how it works tho.
The PS5 had an exceptional year last year due to finally having enough stock to meet the demand.
It also had the massively successful Harry Potter game last February.

Exclusives sell, but they won't constantly boost a console that's already outselling all its competitors combined.

Kacho

Xbox is so fucked. Feels like there is no hope for them turning this around especially considering their multiplatform approach now. What would even be the "thing" that would help Xbox console sales at this point? Any game that comes out will be littered with articles that talk about the future PS5 version in the works. Phil absolutely fucked the console brand.
Xbox didnt collapse in the US like it did in the UK. But yeah, it’s not looking good. The next few months will be telling.

Woopah

So that means MS could have sold more Series X than S from last year, therefore the drop in revenue was less. But if he was accounting for units, the percentage drop for XBS would have been more then 19%.
That is one possibility yes. Conversely it could also be the other way around, we just don't know.

It looks like for PS5, the digital version made up a higher proportion than usual, so that would have lowered the revenue.

For the different Switch model we'll have to wait until Nintendo's report, but I imagine the majority was the OLED one.

Jaybe

So that means MS could have sold more Series X than S from last year, therefore the drop in revenue was less. But if he was accounting for units, the percentage drop for XBS would have been more then 19%.
Exactly. There was a lot of coverage in the February 2023 sales thread about the Series X being severely supply constrained. So Xbox is selling a higher average price unit this month versus last year and PS5 is selling more of its digital version as a share of its sales this month vs last year. I think the units change would be very interesting and different from the $ revenue change Mat’s given. I get the feeling Mat tried to keep the units very vague to not have his data be used for console performance arguments.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You must also be joking. People seem to have got jokes today. Is it Friday or something?
You keep doing this with my posts. Acting like I am saying something completely outlandish or retarded. If you disagree then so be it. Dont gaslight the poster when we literally just spent the past year chastising MS for doing the same exact thing with their exclusives.

It is vs the best selling month in Sony's history. And HD2 isn't an exclusive, it is on steam. So I don't understand how you can say HD2 should move huge console numbers while at the same time acknowledge that steam day and date will move less consoles for Playstation

Also, the massive graphics whore that you are, you should be begging for Sony to move all their first party games day 1 on PC. It will instantly increase revenue from their studios and make these massive AAA budgets actually sustainable

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

You keep doing this with my posts. Acting like I am saying something completely outlandish or retarded. If you disagree then so be it. Dont gaslight the poster when we literally just spent the past year chastising MS for doing the same exact thing with their exclusives.
gaslighting?

Bro, I am usually in the same camp with you and your line of thinking. Hell, I even consider you amongst the few posters on here whose opinion I respect.

But that doesn't mean that when you say something kinda weird, I shouldn't call you out on it.

PS5 sales last February, were an anomaly. Not just last February, but pretty much the whole year. The machine sold like 22M units last year worldwide for crying out loud. Even the PS2/4 never managed that in one year. Sales dropping to what are even still above average non-holiday month sales is not a bad thing. Or harbinger of doom. Its a course correct. The PS5 is still selling better than it "should" be selling. And sonys first party game is topping the chart. What more can they do.

Whats funny is that I am actually not too happy about this result, I was hoping for it to perform worse. Not just in NA but across Europe, as I want them to drop the price. That price drop I predicted wouldn't really be coming anytime soon if they keep performing as they are now.

I think people dont realize that the PS5 over-performed all of last year. Especially for a $500 console.

Estimates for last February

Feb 2023
PS5: 560K
NSW: 290K
XBS: 240K

XBS is 19% down in revenue and the other two dropped even more, although PS5 is much cheaper than a year ago (560$ GOW: Ragnarok bundle last Feb) and has a higher PS5: Digital Edition ratio so it's unit drop will be much softer than it's drop in revenue. So PS5 likely dropped 35% in revenue but unit drop is close to 25%. Switch can't drop too much because it still has to be above XBS in units.

Welfare's Estimates Feb 2024
PS5: 410K
NSW: 220K
XBS: 195K

Estimations for 2024

MonthPS5XBSNSW
Jan-24425,000210,000250,000
Feb-24410,000195,000220,000
Total-24835,000405,000470,000

Full Estimations for 2023

MonthPS5XBSNSW
Jan-23430,000200,000280,000
Feb-23560,000240,000290,000
Mar-23660,000280,000340,000
Apr-23360,000180,000420,000
May-23270,000160,000450,000
Jun-23430,000240,000350,000
Jul-23270,000160,000240,000
Aug-23400,000210,000200,000
Sep-23490,000300,000200,000
Oct -23370,000200,000210,000
Nov - 231,050,000580,000570,000
Dec - 231,530,0001,130,0001,250,000
LTD18,730,00013,580,00044,210,000

Last edited:
so basically based on matt responding to that troll post:

xbox -19%?
ps -20+%
switch -20+%

tbh the decline in playstation sales considering the stock availability, slim bundled with spiderman, and the launch of FF is very bad for the market.... PC and mobile are really taking off this year.
you have a sora avatar

SlimySnake

Also, the massive graphics whore that you are, you should be begging for Sony to move all their first party games day 1 on PC. It will instantly increase revenue from their studios and make these massive AAA budgets actually sustainable
Sony's games are graphically demanding precisely because they are/were exclusive. they were designed to sell consoles. Sony put in those millions of dollars into those production values while other third parties lagged behind precisely because they wanted to move consoles. Now that the goal is no longer to push consoles and simply to be profitable you will/are see/seeing cross gen games and gaas games like Helldivers 2 instead of next gen showpieces. Spiderman 2 is the perfect example. received a massive downgrade from the original reveal then they forced the director throw out half the game just to ship on time for the holiday seasons like Activision or ubisoft would.

We saw this with microsoft. They shipped games on PCs. Their hardware sales tanked. Then they were forced to ship games on PS and Nintendo.

Mr.Phoenix

So For Feb 2023 I have

XBX: 240K

XBS is 19% down in revenue and the other two dropped even more, although PS5 is much cheaper than a year ago (560$ GOW: Ragnarok bundle) and has a higher PS5: Digital Edition ratio so it's unit drop won't be as bad as it's drop in revenue. So PS5 likely dropped well over 30% in revenue but unit drop is close to 25%.

Welfare's Estimates
People ought to look at this. 560k in one month. Never in Playstation history was that ever done. Even if it has dropped to 400k units this year, that is still better than nearly every other month of February bar like 3 or 4 of them over the last 30 years.

Sigh...

Its like people are too eager to drop some hot take that they never bother to take things into context.

DrFigs

yes, why they keep protecting Xbox?
they do provide numbers to circana subscribers don't they? it's just that it's proprietary info not made public?
People ought to look at this. 560k in one month. Never in Playstation history was that ever done. Even if it has dropped to 400k units this year, that is still better than nearly every other month of February bar like 3 or 4 of them over the last 30 years.

Sigh...

Its like people are too eager to drop some hot take that they never bother to take things into context.
it was also up 400% in europe for feb 2023, but the drop was only 2% in feb 2024 yoy. perhaps there is some trickery here w/ units vs sales comparisons i am not quite wrapping my head around though. As i said, it's hard to believe xbox only had a 19% drop when they had a 47% drop in europe.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

gaslighting?
yes, gaslighting is when you simply reply by making the other person feel like they are crazy instead of actually addressing the argument with rebuttals like you did below. i can reply to that because its not gaslighting.
PS5 sales last February, were an anomaly. Not just last February, but pretty much the whole year. The machine sold like 22M units last year worldwide for crying out loud. Even the PS2/4 never managed that in one year. Sales dropping to what are even still above average non-holiday month sales is not a bad thing. Or harbinger of doom. Its a course correct. The PS5 is still selling better than it "should" be selling. And sonys first party game is topping the chart. What more can they do.

Whats funny is that I am actually not too happy about this result, I was hoping for it to perform worse. Not just in NA but across Europe, as I want them to drop the price. That price drop I predicted wouldn't really be coming anytime soon if they keep performing as they are now.

I think people dont realize that the PS5 over-performed all of last year. Especially for a $500 console.
I didnt know about Sony's record setting february but as you can see above, its not 19% but a 36% drop. Despite having a game that probably sold 8 million. Hogwarts in comparison sold 12 million in a month. And the PS5 sales were roughly half.

At the end of the day, games like helldivers are rare. Sony had one such game last year, Spiderman 2. GoW Ragnorak before that. And then we have to go all the way back to TLOU2 which sold 4 million in 3 days to find another. If Sony needs those console exclusives to move consoles, they cant be giving away their trump card to PC. You could go half a decade without finding a game like helldivers that goes viral in ways only fortnite and cod do. and you HAVE to hold on to that because it is precisely the game that gets friends to buy consoles. It is precisely the reason the PS4 became a smash hit because all those cod players bought a PS4 to play with their friends.

This is console gaming 101. We WERE on the same side just last year when we were chastizing MS for these same moves. Not sure what changed. Remember the starfield release month that led to no real increase for Xbox? The proof is in the pudding and a 36% drop after having not one but two massive exclusives release is that proof.

Last edited:

jm89

They'll realise they screwed up it when it's too late, just like xbox. And ask themselves how the fuck did we get here?

Although I thinks it's still too early to tell what the effects are from their more multiplat push to PC.

The drop could be justified by the large sales last year from stock shortages easing, and also as it's revenue drop so probably some of it comes down to digital ps5s selling more.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Feb 2023
XBX: 240K

XBS is 19% down in revenue and the other two dropped even more, although PS5 is much cheaper than a year ago (560$ GOW: Ragnarok bundle) and has a higher PS5: Digital Edition ratio so it's unit drop will be much softer than it's drop in revenue. So PS5 likely dropped 35% in revenue but unit drop is close to 25%. Switch can't drop too much because it still has to be above XBS in units.

Welfare's Estimates Feb 2024

Estimations for 2024

MonthPS5XBSNSW
Jan-24425,000210,000250,000
Feb-24410,000195,000210,000
Total-24835,000405,000460,000

Full Estimations for 2023

MonthPS5XBSNSW
Jan-23430,000200,000280,000
Feb-23560,000240,000290,000
Mar-23660,000280,000340,000
Apr-23360,000180,000420,000
May-23270,000160,000450,000
Jun-23430,000240,000350,000
Jul-23270,000160,000240,000
Aug-23400,000210,000200,000
Sep-23490,000300,000200,000
Oct -23370,000200,000210,000
Nov - 231,050,000580,000570,000
Dec - 231,530,0001,130,0001,250,000
LTD18,730,00013,580,00044,210,000

One thing to remember is that Xbox Series X was supply constrained last year so there is likely a greater share of X’s being sold than S’s, so a higher average selling price per unit.

That would mean a greater than 19% unit decline for Xbox, potentially much more. If Welfare is using only -19% for the Xbox unit decline then he’s overestimating it. Mat’s post from last year’s Feb thread.

Gegrcte.jpg

Last edited:
So despite the fact that they try to hide it, it's the usual

- PS5 sells more than 2:1 compared to two Xbox consoles combined in Microsoft's only market left (dead brand in Europe and Asia)
- 7-year old Nintendo Switch still sells more than two Xbox consoles combined

Imagine what's gonna happen when PS5 Pro and Switch 2 are on the market

PS5 was the only console to have a sales increase from January this year. Both Switch and Xbox decreased. In what world would Helldivers 2 make the PS5 sell more than a game like Hogwarts Legacy? That was never going to happen lol.

Helldivers 2 did more than its job. PS5 sales are incredible for the time of the year we're at. Over 400k in February is amazing for a console approaching its 4th anniversary without a price decrease.

Mr.Phoenix

yes, gaslighting is when you simply reply by making the other person feel like they are crazy instead of actually addressing the argument with rebuttals like you did below. i can reply to that because its not gaslighting.

I didnt know about Sony's record setting february but as you can see above, its not 19% but a 36% drop. Despite having a game that probably sold 8 million. Hogwarts in comparison sold 12 million in a month. And the PS5 sales were roughly half.

At the end of the day, games like helldivers are rare. Sony had one such game last year, Spiderman 2. GoW Ragnorak before that. And then we have to go all the way back to TLOU2 which sold 4 million in 3 days to find another. If Sony needs those console exclusives to move consoles, they cant be giving away their trump card to PC. You could go half a decade without finding a game like helldivers that goes viral in ways only fortnite and cod do. and you HAVE to hold on to that because it is precisely the game that gets friends to buy consoles. It is precisely the reason the PS4 became a smash hit because all those cod players bought a PS4 to play with their friends.

This is console gaming 101. We WERE on the same side just last year when we were chastizing MS for these same moves. Not sure what changed. The proof is in the pudding and a 36% drop after having not one but two massive exclusives release is that proof.
36% down from 560K? Is not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Especially when you consider that the average non-holiday month sales (especially February through to june) is around 200k-250k.

And there is the fact that the PS5 didn't sell as well as it did in february last year primarily due to Hogwarts. That was just a happy coincidence. It contributed to sales, as I am sure Helldivers must have contributed this year, but the real reason the PS5 sold as well as it did last February was simply supply meeting demand. This was evident in the fact that it continued selling better than expected and breaking all sorts of sales records pretty much through out the year.

I hear you on the whole if it was exclusive it would have done better for PS consoles, but this is so far just the one game. And is in line with sonys GAAS strategy. And dare I say, Sony needed the PC audience to allow this game to become as popular as it is. If that trend continues, they needn't worry, GAAS stuff are known for their legs. When more average joes want to join in on spreading democracy, they likely would seek out the cheapest way to do so, and that will be PlayStation.

And its too early to liken this to what MS did, as if everything Sony makes is coming to PC on day 1. And I also wouldn't go as far as say, after this one game, that is a GAAS title, that all of a sudden Sony is going to shift their focus from technically defining cinematic games. We afforded Xbox the luxury of over 14 years. I think sony has earned at least a year or two to wait and see.

LordCBH

PS5 was the only console to have a sales increase from January this year. Both Switch and Xbox decreased. In what world would Helldivers 2 make the PS5 sell more than a game like Hogwarts Legacy? That was never going to happen lol.

Helldivers 2 did more than its job. PS5 sales are incredible for the time of the year we're at. Over 400k in February is amazing for a console approaching its 4th anniversary without a price decrease.

Even more incredible when you factor in most people just don’t have a ton of money to spend anymore thanks to stuff like grocery prices and high rent prices combined with wages stagnating (at best)

Mr.Phoenix

they do provide numbers to circana subscribers don't they? it's just that it's proprietary info not made public?

it was also up 400% in europe for feb 2023, but the drop was only 2% in feb 2024 yoy. perhaps there is some trickery here w/ units vs sales comparisons i am not quite wrapping my head around though. As i said, it's hard to believe xbox only had a 19% drop when they had a 47% drop in europe.
this is NA after all. Xbox home turf.

Sony's games are graphically demanding precisely because they are/were exclusive. they were designed to sell consoles. Sony put in those millions of dollars into those production values while other third parties lagged behind precisely because they wanted to move consoles. Now that the goal is no longer to push consoles and simply to be profitable you will/are see/seeing cross gen games and gaas games like Helldivers 2 instead of next gen showpieces. Spiderman 2 is the perfect example. received a massive downgrade from the original reveal then they forced the director throw out half the game just to ship on time for the holiday seasons like Activision or ubisoft would.

We saw this with microsoft. They shipped games on PCs. Their hardware sales tanked. Then they were forced to ship games on PS and Nintendo.

The console business isn't going anywhere for at least the next 12 years. There are 100's of millions of gamers still want to game on console over PC. Sony still needs amazing games to lure gamers over to their system no matter what.

How is SM2 an example? It didn't come out on PC day 1. It probably won't be on PC for at least another two years. It was rushed because Sony didn't have a game for 2023 and needed to sell consoles and add revenue. It is a dumb argument that Sony released SM2 early because they can grab PC money 2 years from now? So they can be lazy

You are going to look really stupid when Sony shows off their first party road map this May or June. I'm excited for to explain why Ghost 2 or Naughty Dog's games look good when obviously Sony is already reducing the budgets and scope of all their first party titles with SM2

Last edited:

leo-j

Wow... so you were serious.

Ok, can't really be bothered to get too into it, so I'll summarize. the PS5 sold almost 500k units in February last year. That's not just an anomaly, it's the highest-selling February Playstation has had in its 3-decade history. By a lot. Mostly due to the fact that supply was finally meeting pent-up demand. That it only dropped by 20% if that is accurate is actually impressive.

And on another note, the PS5slim digital+spiderman 2 bundle started in March, not February. The one prior (PS5 slim disc drive sku + SM2) still cost $500. The digital bundle cost $400. What these numbers are supposed to tell you, if you are finding something negative to latch onto, is that the PS5 is overdue a price drop.

Never, in the history of PlayStation (or any console for that matter) has there not been a price drop (but instead a price hike) past the console's third year on the market and into its fourth.
That doesn't change the fact there is stock, and the ps5 is coming off a high from a holiday launch of spiderman 2, a february launch of helldivers 2, and an end of month launch of the biggest 3rd party exclusive of the year. I am saying it being down (by possibly over 100k units) with those big games is not a good thing.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

That doesn't change the fact there is stock, and the ps5 is coming off a high from a holiday launch of spiderman 2, a february launch of helldivers 2, and an end of month launch of the biggest 3rd party exclusive of the year. I am saying it being down with those big games is not a good thing.
Please use some common sense.

The typical, average month of February should have sales of around 200K - 250k. And this is even for consoles that didn't cost $500.

What high from holiday, when it actually underperformed in its holiday months? Which was likely due to their stubbornness of not dropping the price. Which led to them revising their fiscal year shipment estimates.

You cannot just take numbers, especially when you are comparing them to another period, without context.

560k... thats what PS5 did last febuary. That has NEVER happened in Playstation history. Can you let that sink in? So now its dropped to what? 400k ish? That is still over-performing for this period. Even with a big game to boost its sales.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The console business isn't going anywhere for at least the next 12 years. There are 100's of millions of gamers still want to game on console over PC. Sony still needs amazing games to lure gamers over to their system no matter what.

How is SM2 an example? It didn't come out on PC day 1. It probably won't be on PC for at least another two years. It was rushed because Sony didn't have a game for 2023 and needed to sell consoles and add revenue. It is a dumb argument that Sony released SM2 early because they can grab PC money 2 years from now? So they can be lazy
Spiderman 2 is an example of Sony thinking like a multiplatform publisher which was the main point of that post. Once you start putting profits over pushing the best looking most polished games designed to sell consoles, you end up with games like Spiderman 2 who have their ambitions curtailed by suits and big chunks of the game cut out. Again, this is according to the director himself. Imagine if Neil was told to cut out levels from TLOU2 because they wanted to ship on time. Nah, but sony in 2019 was different and they delayed the game not once but three times.

Whats changed since 2019? Their mentality. They now want profits over graphically demanding genre pushing console exclusives that push consoles. Just look at how Sony isnt even in the top 10 of Metacritics top 10 publishers of the year for 2023. They ranked 13th. As a sony fan, this is embarrassing.

You are going to look really stupid when Sony shows off their first party road map this May or June. I'm excited for to explain why Ghost 2 or Naughty Dog's games look good when obviously Sony is already reducing the budgets and scope of all their first party titles
I literally created a thread last month that listed all the sony first party games that are due for release the rest of gen while everyone else was crying wolf over sony's silence and lack of first party games until 2025.

Last edited:

yazenov

One thing to remember is that Xbox Series X was supply constrained last year so there is likely a greater share of X’s being sold than S’s, so a higher average selling price per unit.

That would mean a greater than 19% unit decline for Xbox, potentially much more. If Welfare is using only -19% for the Xbox unit decline then he’s overestimating it. Mat’s post from last year’s Feb thread.

Gegrcte.jpg

Yeah, we need the percentage based on Units to get a more clear picture like the European charts. This guy Matt is sneaky trying to make things vague with his hardware comparisons.

Top Bottom