• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A PC Gamer's PS3 Experience

mkenyon

Banned
I’ve been a PC Gamer my whole life. While having a Genesis as a kid, it was more of a distraction when I wasn’t out riding my bike or shooting my BB gun. When I had a big move as a child at the tender age of 11, my parents decided to buy me a computer for my room as I had shown interest to general computing. This computer also came with a copy of Civilization, Warcraft, Privateer, X-Com, Tie Fighter, and Doom, courtesy of my uncle. These were really the games that I grew up on and formed the foundation of my gaming hobby. For a majority of gamers, fond childhood memories are filled with Mario or Sonic. For me, it was a space marine on Mars, and tech trees. For the next 6 years, PC is all I played. Eventually, I even became a competitive Team Fortress (as in the mod for Quake), Tribes, and CS player. No Dreamcast, N64, PS1, or PS2. I only returned to console gaming when my non-gaming friends started getting into a game called Halo and realized the awesomeness that was LAN parties through networked X-Boxes. Although this information seems rather self-indulgent, I’m using it to stress how little I’ve been exposed to the console world as a teenager and young adult, and how that has given me extremely biased tastes.

My family and extended family view me as a gamer, and for this reason, I have ended up with the main consoles for this generation. I received a 360 as a gift, my wife received a Wii as a gift, and I bought her a DS as she’s a fan of the Nintendo classics and platformers. The console I had not received was a PS3. From my viewpoint, the 360 served as a Geometry Wars 2 and Forza machine. For everything else, it felt like an underperforming PC. The Wii was nothing more than a short distraction, and the DS was a Civilization Revolution machine. I probably didn’t put more than 20 hours of total gaming into the console world for the past five years.

As a long time lurker of this board, I’ve often looked over the PS3 threads with bewilderment. How can so many people have so much fun playing games where you hit the X button when it asks you to, or sit through hours of cutscenes? Games are supposed to be emergent with an integrated narrative in my mind. However, there were a few games that stuck out to me as wildly interesting. Namely, Demon’s Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Flower, inFamous, and the Pixel Junk series.

Last Christmas, I decided I’d finally take the plunge and see what all of the hubbub was about. I bought a PS3 with the games named above, and jumped in. My first impression was probably the most important compliment that I can give a console: it was treating me like an adult. Clean interface, no silly avatars or overly comical menu. As Christmas time is the only vacation time I get for the year, I spent quite a bit of time diving deep into Demon’s Souls and Valkyria Chronicles. These were games that were so unique, and so immersive, that I finally started to see what I was missing out on. There was no handholding, and a very difficult learning curve which is something I’ve always appreciated. Again, I was being treated like an adult.

Flower and Pixel Junk Eden were mind opening experiences for me, as I found myself enjoying games where it was nearly impossible to fail and were extremely linear. The magic is that although everyone paints the same picture in the game, how you paint that picture is entirely up to you. This led me to Katamari Forever, which I can't praise enough.

After 16 years of being almost exclusively a PC Gamer, I now find myself dedicating a decent amount of time to a console. There really is nothing like these types of experiences on the PC, which is the reason why I find myself constantly pulled back to the couch. In addition to that, they hit some of the same chords that a classic PC gamer appreciates: immersion, emergence, and integrated narrative. For you PC gamers holding out, or with a dislike of Japanese development, it’s worth a shot. You might find yourself surprised.

In before tl;dr?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really think that the one thing that Sony has done a great job of doing this generation is securing and creating fantastic, exclusive games for the PS3. The library is really fantastic and has a lot of stuff that gamers can appreciate, whether they usually play on consoles or not.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is the first step in accepting that all platforms have their pros and cons, and the only thing that matters is seeking out the entertainment experience and software content you enjoy and are willing to pay for.

Idealy, this will involve owning multiple platforms, assuming such a situation is affordable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
EatChildren said:
This is the first step in accepting that all platforms have their pros and cons, and the only thing that matters is seeking out the entertainment experience and software content you enjoy and are willing to pay for.

Idealy, this will involve owning multiple platforms, assuming such a situation is affordable.
Yep, I am really lucky this gen. I have a roommate with a 360 and I personally own a Wii and a PS3. I plan on getting a gaming PC next year. There are great games wherever you go, you just need to make the right choices for what you like.

mkenyon

Banned
Stallion Free said:
But did you play Uncharted 2???
Tried, didn't get more than 2 hours into it. I still can't do the action-adventure genre. Just doesn't mesh with my tastes. I do recognize that it is a brilliantly made game. Same with the God of War series.
Joseph Merrick said:
exactly which PC games have you been playing lately?
Mount and Blade, Hearts of Iron 3, Civ V, Heroes of Newerth, Warsow, Q3 Live, and Global Agenda would probably be my most played in the last 6 months.

Wouldn't expect a mostly exclusive PC gamer to get into Valkryia so easily. Awesome though. Too bad you didn't see the evolution of SRPGs. The game was mindblowing for me precisely for that reason.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Stallion Free said:
But yeah, the menu on PS3 is great. I'm a sucker for the clean, minimal look.

I'm always surprised at how many people hate it or call it 'clunky'. I love the XMB.

hiryu

It really is a shame that they launched at such an expensive price point. Sony really did a ton of other things right with the system and their first party games along with their support for psn originals should be lauded.

JWong

Banned
Stallion Free said:
But did you play Uncharted 2???
Would I be murdered if I said Uncharted 2 looks better than any PC game?

Until Witcher 2 comes out with NextGen sex.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My first impression was probably the most important compliment that I can give a console: it was treating me like an adult. Clean interface, no silly avatars or overly comical menu.

You mean every system up till 2005? Pop game in, system starts game. From Atari 2600 till Nintendo DS, that is what you got.

Really, I think the portables is home to the bulk of gaming that I can't get on the PC, but every platform has something unique to offer.

clav

Starcraft 2 + Steam sales made me go back to PC gaming.

What makes me go back to Xbox are the new arcade games with leaderboards (i.e. Pac Man Championship DX) and indie games.

Sounds like you need to explore the Indie option more. Your statement can be applied to all consoles, not just the PS3.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EatChildren said:

This, I am going to pick up a PS3 soon as I want to get into the world of Bluray and guess for the price it is one of the best players out there, the fact it can play games is awesome..maybe the tail end of the year or end of 2012.. just waiting for a £150 approx price tag

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RoboPlato said:
Yep, I am really lucky this gen. I have a roommate with a 360 and I personally own a Wii and a PS3. I plan on getting a gaming PC next year. There are great games wherever you go, you just need to make the right choices for what you like.

That's exactly it. I love mouse + keyboard for genres like shooters, I love openess of platforms, I love cutting edge graphical technology, and thus I do a huge amount of PC gaming and always have. I also love Nintendo as a software developer and for their hardware experimentation, and would struggle to game without having access to Metroid, Mario, Zelda, and all the other platform exclusives I've enjoyed over this generation, both on the Wii and the DS.

I purchased a PlayStation 3 late last year to fill some of the softare gaps I had. I enjoy the Uncharted series. I think Killzone is rubbish, so it has no impact on my interest in the platform. But without a PS3 (or in some cases an X360) I wouldn't be able to play Vanquish, Bayonetta, Demon's Souls, or Nier, nor upcomming titles like Shadows of the Damned, El Shaddai, and The Last Guardian.

Fact of the matter is that my most memorable titles of this generation span across a wide variety of platforms. I love (and in some cases hate) them all for a wide variety of reasons, but what matters is the software, and A-grade enjoyment can be found across every platform. I dont want to miss out on that kind of fun.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Gravijah said:
grumble grumble

WHERE ARE YOU SCEJ

Still developing The Last Guardian gazillion years ago.

Or developing for the PSP.

JB1981

hiryu said:
It really is a shame that they launched at such an expensive price point. Sony really did a ton of other things right with the system and their first party games along with their support for psn originals should be lauded.

Yea we can saw that now but the system was so bare bones when it first released it was basically a single player machine!

tok

Neo Member
mkenyon, my PC gaming backstory is kind of similar to yours (I go ever further back!), but I just can't make the leap to liking console games. I have all 3 current gen systems and about the only thing that gets played is Pinball FX2 and some Kinect Sports bowling with the family.

I played GT5 for a couple weeks at Christmas time, then kind of fizzled out on doing the same stuff over and over for money.

The deal breaker for me with consoles has always been the controllers. I love first person shooters and just find the console controllers such a huge handicap that I can't even enjoy the games. I've tried again and again to get into it for exclusives like Killzone, but I just can't do it.
Even though I've learned to use them passably well, I hate the experience.

offshore

Clearly I'm different to OP. After 3 years of using it, I hate the PS3 interface/XMB. I really wish Sony would overhaul it.

Duffyside

Banned
Captain Pants said:
I'm always surprised at how many people hate it or call it 'clunky'. I love the XMB.
I like the way it looks, but I can't stand the loading of icons, of the friends list, or the trophy syncing nonsense. And this is coming from someone who loves his PS3 and hates Microsoft.

Gravijah

Animator said:
PC + PS3 is the best combo. PS3 for sony exclusives like uncharted and pc for everything else.

Add in a Wii for the Nintendo exclusives. Oh and 360 for their exclusives. Don't forget the handhelds!

Hazelhurst

I envy those just now getting a PS3. Not only is the hardware better (smaller and more energy efficient), but the AAA exclusive library is bountiful and still growing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
offshore said:
Clearly I'm different to OP. After 3 years of using it, I hate the PS3 interface/XMB. I really wish Sony would overhaul it.
What would you change. It never really felt like it needed an overhaul to me. It's simple and it gets the job done. You don't have to go through a bunch of screens to get to really anything.

Oh the trophy sync is shit and games really should auto update.

thefil

EatChildren said:

Yes, but time is also a factor. I think too many people buy all this hardware and then feel they "can't keep up" with releases. I used to own a PS3, 360, Wii, DS, PSP and PC. I dropped the 360 and Wii and it hasn't affect my gaming life whatsoever.

Most people should realize that there are probably enough games to keep them engaged (and not burned out) on 1-2 platforms. Which platforms those are are entirely subjective. I'm tired of seeing people I know either let their lives be consumed by keeping up with games, or burn out on their favourite hobby because they need to experience every 80+ game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
cosmicblizzard said:
Wouldn't expect a mostly exclusive PC gamer to get into Valkryia so easily. Awesome though. Too bad you didn't see the evolution of SRPGs. The game was mindblowing for me precisely for that reason.
Why? PC is fairly absent on JRPGs, normally they include more unique battle systems too. Its probably one of the better reasons to own a system than shooters or WRPGs.

tok said:
The deal breaker for me with consoles has always been the controllers. I love first person shooters and just find the console controllers such a huge handicap that I can't even enjoy the games. I've tried again and again to get into it for exclusives like Killzone, but I just can't do it..

I was fine with dual analog for FPS until I played KZ2 singleplayer (I didn't have too many complaints about multiplayer controls). Now it's back to mouse and keyboard for me.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
mkenyon said:
I’ve been a PC Gamer my whole life. While having a Genesis as a kid, it was more of a distraction when I wasn’t out riding my bike or shooting my BB gun. When I had a big move as a child at the tender age of 11, my parents decided to buy me a computer for my room as I had shown interest to general computing. This computer also came with a copy of Civilization, Warcraft, Privateer, X-Com, Tie Fighter, and Doom, courtesy of my uncle. These were really the games that I grew up on and formed the foundation of my gaming hobby. For a majority of gamers, fond childhood memories are filled with Mario or Sonic. For me, it was a space marine on Mars, and tech trees. For the next 6 years, PC is all I played.

that's my story too.

I had Sega for Golden Axe and Jungle Strike but PC was the machine for real games lol.

I bought PS3 because I was impressed by Killzone 2, The Darkness, Condemned 2 and Uncharted. I don't own 360 but I'll buy it for Bayonetta when it hits 99$.

shintoki said:
Why? PC is fairly absent on JRPGs, normally they include more unique battle systems too. Its probably one of the better reasons to own a system than shooters or WRPGs.

I guess I'm just of the mindset that VC would mostly only be liked by someone that's already been exposed to that kind of stuff. Guess I'm wrong. Definitely a hell of a place to start though.

Mrbob

Good thoughts. PS3 as a console easily has the best exclusives for anyone who is also into PC gaming. On top of this try to dive into Sony's first party collection. For the most part Sony puts out high quality games which push the hardware at the same time in a variety of different genres.

Heres my experience:

Played mostly pc games until about a couple years ago, bought a ps3 because I was tired of patches, games not working, and waiting for shit to install. i needed the console experience again and wii just wasn't cutting it because i was tired of wii sports and warioware.

Brought ps3 home, turned it on. "firmware update available", had to wait 15 mins for it to install. sweet, now i can watch blu rays.

Stuck in gt5:prolouge "update available" 5 gigs in size......, had to wait almost 2 hours for install.
didnt even play gt5

stuck in metal gear solid 4 : installing game content, had to wait 20 mins. beat the game that weekend. yay.

then..PS3 didnt work the entire weekend because of engineers at sony couldnt make leap year calculations, does anyone remember this happening?

bought heavy rain, game locks up at loading screens near the end, ended up USING MY PC to watch the ending on youtube.

installed ps3 home, 1 hour to download and install. played chess, couldnt play bowling or pool because that shit was always full. saw some guy in a god of war costume.

saw that steam is on mac, bought a mac. sold ps3.

i am now a pc gamer again. thanks for reading my blog.

spats

Your experience mirrors my own. I got into consoles really late. I bought a used PS2 after the PS3 had launched. Played through all the "essential" games I felt like I was missing out on, like the MGS games, FF10, ZOE and so forth which made me appreciate the what a dedicated gaming system actually had to offer compared to personal computers.

Got my first PC with an Intel 386 when I was four and then just kept buying new PC's and playing all the games available for it, so I never really saw a reason to get a console because I was satisfied with the games the PC was offering. I also hated controllers because they were so slow and imprecise compared to a mouse and keyboard.

Anyway, the MGS4 hype got to me real bad and I went and bought a PS3 in july of 2008, on the launch day of MGS4. Since, I've grown to really appreciate the system and now I'll much rather pick up the PS3 version instead of a PC version. My PC a fairly current gaming rig so I occasionally play stuff on Steam, but 95% of the boxed games I get are for the PS3. Haven't really looked back since and I'm actually looking forward to seeing what the next generation Playstation will offer in terms of services and features. I'll likely even get it during the launch window.

Mrbob

out0v0rder said:
Heres my experience:

Played mostly pc games until about a couple years ago, bought a ps3 because I was tired of patches, games not working, and waiting for shit to install. i needed the console experience again and wii just wasn't cutting it because i was tired of wii sports and warioware.

Brought ps3 home, turned it on. "firmware update available", had to wait 15 mins for it to install. sweet, now i can watch blu rays.

Stuck in gt5:prolouge "update available" 5 gigs in size......, had to wait almost 2 hours for install.
didnt even play gt5

stuck in metal gear solid 4 : installing game content, had to wait 20 mins. beat the game that weekend. yay.

then..PS3 didnt work the entire weekend because of engineers at sony couldnt make leap year calculations, does anyone remember this happening?

bought heavy rain, game locks up at loading screens near the end, ended up USING MY PC to watch the ending on youtube.

installed ps3 home, 1 hour to download and install. played chess, couldnt play bowling or pool because that shit was always full. saw some guy in a god of war costume.

saw that steam is on mac, bought a mac. sold ps3.

i am now a pc gamer again. thanks for reading my blog.

John Davidson, is this your gaf account? Oh wait sorry you mentioned PC gaming and not itouch gaming! :D

Sony definitely has to streamline the end user experience with the Playstation 4 (Also PSP2). Make it more transparent where you aren't sitting around forever for updates. This is the biggest knock against the system right now.

EatChildren

thefil said:
Yes, but time is also a factor. I think too many people buy all this hardware and then feel they "can't keep up" with releases. I used to own a PS3, 360, Wii, DS, PSP and PC. I dropped the 360 and Wii and it hasn't affect my gaming life whatsoever.

Most people should realize that there are probably enough games to keep them engaged (and not burned out) on 1-2 platforms. Which platforms those are are entirely subjective. I'm tired of seeing people I know either let their lives be consumed by keeping up with games, or burn out on their favourite hobby because they need to experience every 80+ game.

Sure, if you're someone prone to that kind of situation it is indeed troubling. I'm not. There are numerous genres I have no interests in (looking at you, sports games). There are numerous franchises, some very popular, that I've tried and dont like. My influence for buying a game comes down to only a handful of factors; I think the game looks rad and thus am interested in trying the experience it will offer, I've tried the game through a demo and wish to play the full release, or the game is of a franchise I'm very fond of and am quite happy to impulse buy a title from.

I dont get caught up in collecting, hype, or major titles. I played Killzone 2 to completion, thought it was one of the worst single player shooters of recent memory, and thus wont ever buy Killzone 3. I'm not really fond of sandbox titles, and so haven't purchased Red Dead Redemption (though would like to try it eventually). JRPGs? I've tried a few of the modern ones, but they dont grip me like old WRPGs did. Many modern WRPGs fail to hook me too.

The point is, that there are a lot of 'awesome games', but I dont play all of them, nor have any interest in playing them.

Since buying my PS3 late last year, I own maybe seven titles. Playing them to completion wasn't hard, and I can only think of one maybe two released games I still want. The rest? They're all scattered releases throughout the year.

It's a similar case for the Wii. My Wii library is massive, I've completed all but a couple of games, but I only picked up games that really interested me or sucked me in, especially niche titles that seem to offer an experience outside of the norm.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that I see a lot of people buying every major title for every system they own, and they dont finish half of them, or even more. They play a little, then the next game comes out, and the play a little of that, and so on and so forth. They build up a giant backlog of games they promise themselves they'll get around to finishing, but never do, as they're stuck in this cycle of constantly playing snippets of the latest games, or whatever game they were encouraged to buy.

I'm quite happy to let any of my platforms sit and gather dust until the next game comes along. As long as there are a handful of games on the platform that I really love, and I have the time to play them, I'm happy to invest in that purchase.

Corto

Welcome...

openarms.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
HEY LOOK GUYS!!! IT'S A GUSHING PS3 THREAD ON GAF!!!! *shock*

j/k I love my PS3. My 360 always languished from day 1. first due to lack of decent titles around launch, then due to hardware issues upon hardware issues. Wii got some love, but as soon as Nintendo abandoned the core gamer (for the most part) I abandoned my Wii.

PS3 on the other hand.. yeah, I know some people are just as fanatic/obsessive about their 360.. but yeah, totally the go to console this generation for me. Netflix/Hulu, Blurays, PSN, PSOne and PS2 games (60GB phat here).. and some of the most amazing first and second party games this gen on any console.

Hell, just since Saturday we've watched Tangled and Tron Legacy on Bluray, a ton of Netflix, Lego Harry Potter with the wife on Sunday, checking out Dynasty Warriors 7, and I finally beat Yakuza 1. Was going for Yakuza 2 next, but I really need to sink my teeth into a PS3 game so I'm thinking either Dynasty Warriors 7 or Castlevania: LoS

Mrbob said:
Sony definitely has to streamline the end user experience with the Playstation 4 (Also PSP2). Make it more transparent where you aren't sitting around forever for updates. This is the biggest knock against the system right now.
agree with this 100%. When you are in an app or just cruising around XMB, the experience is polished so beautifully.. but yeah, between downloading updates and installing games, the user sits around a lot during PS3.

Doesn't Plus have an option where you can tell it to automatically download and install any/all updates for software you have while you are away? Man... that would be amazing.

RedSwirl

mkenyon said:
Demon’s Souls and Valkyria Chronicles. These were games that were so unique, and so immersive, that I finally started to see what I was missing out on. There was no handholding, and a very difficult learning curve which is something I’ve always appreciated. Again, I was being treated like an adult.

Sadly, experiences like that are the exception, not the rule on consoles these days. Most console games now just tell you to go here and dudebro that thing over there. Am I crazy for enjoying Japanese games more this generation because they DON'T hold my hand and put me through long-ass tutorials?

To find similar experiences, I would actually ALMOST suggest you get a PSP (or eventually an NGP). No really. The thing has a lot of Strategy RPGs on it - really hardcore ones too like Tactics Ogre, and maybe you'll enjoy Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker too. Similarly, I'm tempted to suggest you buy Vagrant Story on PSN.

cosmicblizzard said:
I guess I'm just of the mindset that VC would mostly only be liked by someone that's already been exposed to that kind of stuff. Guess I'm wrong. Definitely a hell of a place to start though.
probably not wrong, but there are shit tons of tactical games on PC. not much of a stretch to valkyria.

mkenyon

Banned
RustyNails said:
Play Heavy Rain!
Tried, didn't like it. I think you maybe missed the point of my post.
RedSwirl said:
Sadly, experiences like that are the exception, not the rule on consoles these days. Most console games now just tell you to go here and dudebro that thing over there. Am I crazy for enjoying Japanese games more this generation because they DON'T hold my hand and put me through long-ass tutorials?

To find similar experiences, I would actually ALMOST suggest you get a PSP (or eventually an NGP). No really. The thing has a lot of Strategy RPGs on it - really hardcore ones too like Tactics Ogre, and maybe you'll enjoy Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker too. Similarly, I'm tempted to suggest you buy Vagrant Story on PSN.
Yes, thank you for getting it. I'll check these out.
Joseph Merrick said:
probably not wrong, but there are shit tons of tactical games on PC. not much of a stretch to valkyria.
Exactly. It actually reminds me a lot of X-Com.

Nizz

Captain Pants said:
Same here. I love the clean look of the XMB. PS3's all I own and I'm pretty satisfied. There's the occasional bad third party port but the first party exclusives make up for that.

Top Bottom