• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 on PS3: Redeemable Steam Play copy explained

1-D_FTW

LQX said:
How so? They can still play it once then sell the PS3 version.

edit- oops you said PC code. A lot of Ebay buyers will be angry.

I think you mean PS3 buyers who wanted to make cash by selling the code. You can still sell the code, you just have to create a dummy Steam ID account first and link it to that. You could then sell that Valve account.

But who's gonna pay for that? Aside from being against the ToS, You'd have to change the security settings immediately and it would be on a separate Steam account. It's not worth the money being saved to buy such a ghetto solution.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Owensboro said:
Hrmm... so does this mean that both copies (PS3 and the PC version) can't be online at the same time? It's a possibility if they are both linked to the same Steam Account. Or, does the PS3 version just have to be played and linked to ANY account, and then the PC copy can be redeemed.

Anyone tested it out?

It clearly says it in the FAQ on the PS Blog that both copies can't be on at the same time:

Sid, PSB: Another reader question: If a user gets Portal 2 for the PS3, can two people play that copy at the same time? One on the PS3 and one on the PC?

Joshua, Valve: Well, of course you can play two-player splitscreen on one PS3. But otherwise, it works the way Steam play does now — you can only be logged into one device at a time.

Morn

Banned
Owensboro said:
Hrmm... so does this mean that both copies (PS3 and the PC version) can't be online at the same time? It's a possibility if they are both linked to the same Steam Account. Or, does the PS3 version just have to be played and linked to ANY account, and then the PC copy can be redeemed.

Anyone tested it out?

No it's the SAME Steam account.

Unlocking Portal 2 trophies on the PS3 unlocks them on the Steam account.

Valve didn't do this to make people money. It is a bonus for PS3 owners to get on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
HaRyu said:
It clearly says it in the FAQ on the PS Blog that both copies can't be on at the same time:

You can't be logged in to the same Steam account, but you can make a new PSN id/Steam account on the PS3 and co-op with your redeemed Steam Play copy as they'll have unique Steam ids.

It would be impossible for Valve to stop you from playing the PS3 version and PC version online at the same time, unless of course you were using the same account on both machines.

EVERY time the "Can I play the PS3 copy and the PC copy at the same time?" question is asked, it's phrased so it means - or is understood to mean - "Can I play both copies at the same time using the Steam account I tied to my PSN id?" The answer to that is of course a big, "Nope", as Steam has never supported concurrent log-ins.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
JaseC said:
You can't be logged in to the same Steam account, but you can make a new PSN id/Steam account on the PS3 and co-op with your redeemed Steam Play copy as they'll have unique Steam ids.

It would be impossible for Valve to stop you from playing the PS3 version and PC version online at the same time, unless of course you were using the same account on both machines.

EVERY time the "Can I play the PS3 copy and the PC copy at the same time?" question is asked, it's phrased so it means - or is understood to mean - "Can I play both copies at the same time using the Steam account I tied to my PSN id?" The answer to that is of course a big, "Nope", as Steam has never supported concurrent log-ins.

Scrolling through the previous posts yes, I saw that. But I notice that most of those answers were not dated today. So has anyone actually done that yet? Its not going to stop me from buying the PS3 version (because hell, two Portal 2 games, whee), but it still would be nice to know that someone has actually tried the alternate PSN-linking-to-Steam-ID suggestion.

webrunner

If i understand correctly (don't have the game yet)

1. Out of the box, you can play PS3->PS3
2. You can then log into steam, this syncs your PSN account with your Steam account. You gain achievements in both, etc. You can also play Co-op with PC players.
3. You an do this with multiple Steam accounts (presumably one-to-one with PSN accounts)
4. A steam account which has done this can use the included code to get the PC version of portal 2.

Combining these if you do this:

1. Log into PSN with the the PS3 account
2. Load up PS3 portal 2.
3. Log into a steam account with the PS3 account.
4. Restart machine, log into another PSN account
5. Load up PS3 portal 2.
6. Log into your PC steam account
7. Go to PC steam, and register the PC code on your PC steam account
8. Make sure the two accounts are friends with each other

it should allow you to

9. Play co-op

I haven't heard if it actually works though from someone who's tried it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Want to congratulate Valve on the flawless implementation of this. Got the game 5 minutes ago, already synched accounts, and Portal 2 is downloading on my PC and a fast pace. And the PS3 copy is back in it's case ready to be traded in.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Haven't been following this closely, but I take it people have been able to exploit the system then? No surprise, but at least Valve didn't do anything drastic to prevent it but burden legitimate customers as a result.

the trade-in value of the PS3 version will probably be $10 by next week

vehn

DrForester said:
Want to congratulate Valve on the flawless implementation of this. Got the game 5 minutes ago, already synched accounts, and Portal 2 is downloading on my PC and a fast pace. And the PS3 copy is back in it's case ready to be traded in.

where are you going to trade it in?

DaBuddaDa

vehn said:
My "used" PS3 copy has already been posted and sold on Glyde for $37.

-$55 on Amazon, +$37 sold used, +$20 gift certificate for pre-ordering = I get paid $2 to play Portal 2 on PC.

Mrbob

DaBuddaDa said:

-$55 on Amazon, +$37 sold used, +$20 gift certificate for pre-ordering = I get paid $2 to play Portal 2 on PC.

You paid $18 to play Portal 2 on PC.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
vehn said:

We have a place called Entertainmart near me, they usually pay great prices. Might try amazon if that's not enough. Gamestop only giving $20, but that's not bad for a last resort I guess, but I hate Gamestop.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mrbob said:
You paid $18 to play Portal 2 on PC.

Yeah technically, but if you apply that $20 towards any future purchase and just say you saved on portal, pretty much the same thing. Especially with Amazon, $20 from them is useful, not like ti's a gift card to some useless store.

I can confirm you can co-op with your redeemed Steam copy and PS3 copy. You have to make a new PSN id and Steam id on the PS3 after you redeem your steam copy to co-op.

Mrbob

DrForester said:
Yeah technically, but if you apply that $20 towards any future purchase and just say you saved on portal, pretty much the same thing. Especially with Amazon, $20 from them is useful, not like ti's a gift card to some useless store.

You need to spend more money to get the discount. I guess you can claim to get money back on Portal 2, but when you buy another game for 55 dollars and get it for 35 you cannot also claim you got the game for 35 bucks.

It isn't event that big of a deal but the gift card used as an instant discount talk is just a pet peeve of mine! :D

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hellsing321 said:
I can confirm you can co-op with your redeemed Steam copy and PS3 copy. You have to make a new PSN id and Steam id on the PS3 after you redeem your steam copy to co-op.

Yay confirmation!

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just linked my accounts. Everything works flawless so far and im downloading Portal 2 on my pc atm. Anyway going to be playing coop soon with a buddy on ps3 and pc ! Can't wait to try it out.

Mikey Jr.

Can someone just clarify something.

If I don't insert the code, do I still get access to steam cloud and all that other jazz?

Bonus question: Is there gonna be free downloadable maps and challenges? Kinda like what Portal 1 on 360 had?

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Apologies if this has been covered. No search means I had to manually CTRL+F -> "gift" on each page, and I didn't see anything.

I bought Portal 2 on Steam.

I also forgot I had pre-ordered Portal 2 for PS3 on Amazon a few months ago.

The Steam code that is included with my PS3 copy - can I gift that to a friend to link to his Steam account, since my Steam account already has Portal 2 "linked"?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DKo5 said:
Apologies if this has been covered. No search means I had to manually CTRL+F -> "gift" on each page, and I didn't see anything.

I bought Portal 2 on Steam.

I also forgot I had pre-ordered Portal 2 for PS3 on Amazon a few months ago.

The Steam code that is included with my PS3 copy - can I gift that to a friend to link to his Steam account, since my Steam account already has Portal 2 "linked"?

I think if you let your friend borrow your PS3 copy to create a steam account on his PS3 to link to his PS3 code, then give him the code from your PS3 version you'd be fine (then get back the PS3 copy).

lantus

Mikey Jr. said:

If I don't insert the code, do I still get access to steam cloud and all that other jazz?

Bonus question: Is there gonna be free downloadable maps and challenges? Kinda like what Portal 1 on 360 had?

The code is only for activating the PC/MAC version, you cause steam play by just signing into your steam account on your PS3.

Draft

Owned.

The game shipped, but I wasn't home to sign for it. Now it won't be here until tomorrow.

That's what I get for straying off the one true path of digital distribution. Never again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Draft said:
Owned.

The game shipped, but I wasn't home to sign for it. Now it won't be here until tomorrow.

That's what I get for straying off the one true path of digital distribution. Never again.
That's happened to me with PC parts before :(

KiKaL

I have got Portal 2 for free on PC and just received my Ps3 copy. Could I put in a friends account on the ps3 version to give him my extra copy? Or would this essential tie 2 copies to my PC steam and 1 to ps3? I'm debating on just returning the ps3 version but I originally wanted it so I could co-op with my roommate and then use my PC for single player.

vehn

KiKaL said:
I have got Portal 2 for free on PC and just received my Ps3 copy. Could I put in a friends account on the ps3 version to give him my extra copy? Or would this essential tie 2 copies to my PC steam and 1 to ps3? I'm debating on just returning the ps3 version but I originally wanted it so I could co-op with my roommate and then use my PC for single player.

then buy it on steam

Draft

KiKaL said:
Your PSN account is what gets tied to Steam. The copy of the game is not. You could tie the game to your Steam account through the PS3 version, then lend your friend the game and he could tie the game to his steam account.

Assuming you would do such a dastardly thing...

Mikey Jr. said:

The code is strictly to get the PC version of Portal 2 after you link accounts. You still get Steam cloud saves on the PS3 as long as you have a linked Steam account. Those saves won't transfer across platforms, however.

KiKaL

vehn said:
then buy it on steam

I already own it on Steam. I got a gold potato so I unexpectedly received it for free. So as of now I have 2 PC copies and one PS3. They way I see it is that I am giving away my free copy and keeping the PS3+PC version. The only kink is the free copy is already tied to my account. So that's why I would like to know if I could give it to a friend or not.

MrPliskin

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:

Ass.

lantus said:
The code is only for activating the PC/MAC version, you cause steam play by just signing into your steam account on your PS3.
Can someone confirm this? I bought the PC version but today bought the PS3 version also since I had GS credit and my wife wants to co-op on the PS3. Since I don't need the PC key am I able to give it away?

LProtag

I'm pretty happy with how this works.

I spent 55 dollars on Amazon and got: Portal 2 for the PS3, Portal 2 for my Mac (where it will probably run slowly, blargh) and Just Cause 2 (with the credit).

I think the only way I'd ever end up 'exploiting' this, is if a friend who didn't have the game wanted to play co-op, having him use his own PSN account while I play it on the computer... but I doubt that will happen. Sure as hell not selling it back though.

Shaneus

Went to my local game/music/movie/tech store (JB Hi-Fi for you Aussies) and found that while there were plenty of 360 copies on the shelf, there were zero PS3 ones. I wasn't in there to buy it anyway, but I doubt there's that many people who'd prefer one copy over the other solely based on the console they own.

PhiLonius

Game saves are supposed to be cross-platform as well correct?

I was playing the campaign on PS3 earlier and was trying to put some time on PC but the saves don't show up.

StuBurns

Banned
PhiLonius said:
Game saves are supposed to be cross-platform as well correct?

I was playing the campaign on PS3 earlier and was trying to put some time on PC but the saves don't show up.
They're not cross platform.

LovingSteam said:
Can someone confirm this? I bought the PC version but today bought the PS3 version also since I had GS credit and my wife wants to co-op on the PS3. Since I don't need the PC key am I able to give it away?
You will have to lend the PS3 disc to the person so they can link their PSN and steam accounts. Otherwise the game will not unlock on Steam.

Presco

MrPliskin said:

Whatever dude. Valve got their money since I paid full price launch. If some third party wants to give me money for the disc when I'm done with it, great! I'm playing it through once on my PS3 for the comfy couch experience and then it'll be sold and I'll play coop and any future DLC / mods on PC. Am I less of an ass for playing it once? What if I replayed it a couple of times and then sold it? Same result no matter what...I still have a PC copy. Good on Valve for giving people options and hopefully introducing a whole new userbase to Steam. I'm sure most people who are using the Steam PS3 copy have bought a whole helluva lot games on Steam anyways. I know I have. But then, I'm probably an ass for buying a ton of games on Steam when they're heavily discounted.

Up to Chapter 7. So good.

Luigison

I'd intended to buy the PS3 version, but got carried away with the whole ARG and pre-ordered the Steam version. If I eventually buy a used copy of Portal 2 PS3 can I still link my accounts without the code? If so, any one planning to sell a cheap PS3 version? I want both PS3 and PC version because sometimes my wife ties up the Windows PC with The Sims 3 and I never got it or Steam to fully work on my Ubuntu machine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Luigison said:
I'd intended to buy the PS3 version, but got carried away with the whole ARG and pre-ordered the Steam version. If I eventually buy a used copy of Portal 2 PS3 can I still link my accounts without the code? If so, any one planning to sell a cheap PS3 version? I want both PS3 and PC version because sometimes my wife ties up the Windows PC with The Sims 3 and I never got it or Steam to fully work on my Ubuntu machine.

Yes. The code is solely for redeeming the Steam Play copy of the game It's not used nor required for anything else.

Mrbob

I'm impressed with Steam on PS3 through Portal 2. I was chatting with some people on PC while going through Portal 2 on PS3. Sony needs to allow Valve to use the Steamworks api for all PS3 online gaming.

ZeroRay

Mrbob said:
I'm impressed with Steam on PS3 through Portal 2. I was chatting with some people on PC while going through Portal 2 on PS3. Sony needs to allow Valve to use the Steamworks api for all PS3 online gaming.

Wait, there's cross game/cross platform chat through Steam in Portal 2?

If so, lol Sony.

Top Bottom