• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridleyscott said:
Zelda is about swash-buckling through dangerous territory and Dungeons/Palaces not puzzle-solving.
tumblr_ljqla6DzK31qc8sedo1_r1_500.gif

Kevin

Krowley said:
Just so people know, the article also mentions Head mounted stereoscopic displays and tracking systems... Could be important hints about the overall functionality of the console.

Would be awesome to see something like Nintendo ON sometime down the road. I have used VR sets before and while the current ones on the market are a bit primitive, I did walk away convinced that VR could revolutionize the industry in ways most can't even understand.

Big One said:
Umm...puzzles have been around in Zelda exactly like that since A Link to the Past. Shut the fuck up with this shit

Exactly, ALttP, but not in Zelda I & II. The puzzles actually were OK in ALttP, but there was still plenty of adventure and difficulty with the game though not so much as in I & II.

Puzzles are not what made Zelda popular, thus one of the major reasons the series is in decline and laughed at by most "core" gamers.

joedick

OK....The fist day of rumors was coming from big-time sites by credible writers.

Now we're linking to some really small-time sites and taking it all as the truth. I love hearing all the info but we gotta take some of this with a grain of salt, even the initial rumors. Did we learn nothing from the lead up to the Wii?

linkboy

Big One said:
Zelda franchise is fine, why do you think it needs help?

No, its not. The series has been just rehashing the same concepts over and over again since 1992 when A Link to the Past came out.

The only time the series deviated from the

Intro-3 Dungeons-Plot Point-4-5 more dungeons-Ganon fight

was in Majora's Mask.

Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess all fit this formula to a T.

Its one of the reason's people complained about Twilight Princess.

Are the games bad, not at all, but they could be a lot better then they are.

The games have a decent foundation, but they haven't expanded on that foundation in about 20 years.

Krowley

Along the lines of Shikamura Ninja's post, especially the part in the article about stereoscopic displays, and particularly in regards to the supposed features of the console..

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVVxkYxMueI&feature=related

Also, the camera could probably be used to determine if the person was moving his head, not just for AR.

Would probably be cheaper to do this now than at any time in the past with the increasing popularity of LED screen technology.

Hahah no puzzles in Zelda. So basically you want a hack and slash dungeon crawler? Like so many dozens of forgettable games out there? Yeah... no thanks.

Rocket Punch said:
Hahah no puzzles in Zelda. So basically you want a hack and slash dungeon crawler? Like many dozens of forgettable games out there? Yeah... no thanks.

Was Zelda I & II hack and slash? Zelda is supposed to be an action/adventure/rpg not a puzzle game. Again, comes down to the fact that developers are lazy and is easier to program puzzles than make a very fun and challenging adventure. But it was easier to do in 2D.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Don't forget about Link's Awakening, perhaps the most perfect example of a Zelda game, and packed to the gills with clever puzzles, a trading game, little secrets, and dungeons. BU BU BU MY SWASHBUCKLING WHERES THE SWASH AONUMAR

Ridleyscott said:
Zelda is about swash-buckling through dangerous territory and Dungeons/Palaces not puzzle-solving. Aonuma has filled that game with fluff: trains, boats, skyward Swords and all sorts of garbage. Give me a break.

What in the world?

HenryGale said:
Okay people. Lets get our Bets in now!

Bookmark for future mocking.

Wii 2
Titled: Wii HD
Power: Marginally better than PS3/Xbox360
ControlWireless Nunchuck with M+ inside, D-Pad replaced on Wiimote wand with joystick. Touch screen pad for UI elements, streaming game content and gaming off the TV. Camera in Wiimote for AR.
Games: Zelda SS with Wii Enhanced Resolution & graphics. Smash Bros. Developed by Retro, and a new GTA from R*.

Titled: Nintendo HD
Power: Slightly powerful than 360
Control: Upgraded Wiimote but different
Games: New IP from Miyamoto, SSF4 Arcade/Super MvC3/SF vs Tekken, shitty Madden game that looks like an early 360 game, Tiger Woods Golf, Sims, new music game from Harmonix, Rayman or Rabbids title, NMH 3, Red Steel HD

lobdale said:
Don't forget about Link's Awakening, perhaps the most perfect example of a Zelda game, and packed to the gills with clever puzzles, a trading game, little secrets, and dungeons. BU BU BU MY SWASHBUCKLING WHERES THE SWASH AONUMAR

Zelda I is the perfect example of a Zelda game and no other, it started Zelda. It may not be your favorite but....

Big One

Banned
Ridleyscott said:
Exactly, ALttP, but not in Zelda I & II. The puzzles actually were OK in ALttP, but there was still plenty of adventure and difficulty with the game though not so much as in I & II.

Puzzles are not what made Zelda popular, thus one of the major reasons the series is in decline and laughed at by most "core" gamers.
No what made Zelda popular was secrets...and there's even more of those in TP, which is considered the worst of the 3D games, than there is in the original LoZ.

Also just a funfact: Zelda II is the most linear Zelda game in the entire series.

As for the puzzles I do not understand how you could find them decent in ALttP when all the other ones later on pretty much blew them out of the water.

The newer Zelda games still have exploration, focus on romp-and-stomp combat, but also have a puzzle element to them.

To say Zelda deviated from this is retarded. Yes there is a linear storyline but that doesn't make it non-Zelda-like when the overworld is still open to explore. Heck I mean with The Wind Waker, you get the whole overworld open to you once you get a boat. That's pretty damn impressive in itself and pretty in spirit with the open world exploration of the original game.

The original Zelda is pretty much the only one that is really open-ended, but secrets are minimal at most and the game loses a lot of replay value once you beat it once. Pretty much every Zelda game after it is superior to the original so for Zelda to strive for that rather than, say, something like A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time, is just a bad example.

On the gimmicks, however, one could argue that the raft in LoZ was a gimmick, the fairy spell in AoL was a gimmick, the Light World/Dark World in ALttP is a gimmick, and so on...but no, people like you and Maelstorm argue these are game defining features when they actually aren't really game defining features.
linkboy said:
No, its not. The series has been just rehashing the same concepts over and over again since 1992 when A Link to the Past came out.

was in Majora's Mask.
Majora's Mask did not deviate from this formula wtf are you talking about?

Zelda I and II were the 2D equivalent of a basic and hack and slash game in its infancy. Had the focus remained on non stop action the series it would have become something similar to the Dinasty Warriors series.

Boney

Banned
linkboy said:

was in Majora's Mask.

Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess all fit this formula to a T.

Its one of the reason's people complained about Twilight Princess.

Are the games bad, not at all, but they could be a lot better then they are.

The games have a decent foundation, but they haven't expanded on that foundation in about 20 years.
if you think zelda's are not incredibly different, and have just been rehashes because they follow the same general guidelines regarding pacing, then I don't know what to tell you.

linkboy

Big One said:
Majora's Mask did not deviate from this formula wtf are you talking about?

Then they did a much better job of hiding it, which is probably more along the lines of what I'm trying to say.

Krowley

A.KU.MU said:
Nintendo On.

Iryn5.jpg

Believe.

No.

Shikamura has a reputation for being a credible source on Nintendo rumors. He's been on this board forever and if I'm not mistaken he used to work for EAD, or at least has real sources there, so basically I would not dismiss his post so easily.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
A.KU.MU said:
Nintendo On.

Iryn5.jpg

Believe.

No.

The stereoscropic and tracking displays is not a rumor. NTD is working on it. Whether it will be on Project Cafe or not. They definitely have worked on the technology.

Krowley said:
Shikamura has a reputation for being a credible source on Nintendo rumors. He's been on this board forever and if I'm not mistaken he used to work for EAD, or at least has real sources there, so basically I would not dismiss his post so easily.

Hehe. I never worked at EAD. But that stuff in the article is fact. Again. It states what NTD has been working on. And those two features have been worked on at NTD.

Big One

Banned
linkboy said:
Then they did a much better job of hiding it, which is probably more along the lines of what I'm trying to say.
Majora's Mask had a bunch of sidequests but it definitely did not "hide" deviating from the formula. You were still told to go to four different temples in the game from each direction...it's pretty obvious where you're supposed to go and that each one is a dungeon. Majora's Mask doesn't get praise for breaking the "mold" but it gets praised for the great design decisions like great dungeon designs, dark atmosphere, tons of sidequests, etc.

AceBandage said:
There's no way they'll be keeping the Wii name.
No way in hell.
It's too toxic, especially if they ARE going after the hardcore.
does not compute

Also, head tracking isn't happening, especially when Nintendo has been harping the glassesless 3D so much.

CoffeeJanitor said:
does not compute

Also, head tracking isn't happening, especially when Nintendo has been harping the glassesless 3D so much.

How doesn't it compute?
The Wii is synonymous with WiiSports and WiiPlay. Two of the least hardcore games out.

AceBandage said:
How doesn't it compute?
The Wii is synonymous with WiiSports and WiiPlay. Two of the least hardcore games out.
Hardcore doesn't mean anything. Trying to split the industry's consumer base into casual/core/hardcore etc. is ignorant and frankly silly.

The industry's customers are gamers....That's it.

Krowley

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The stereoscropic and tracking displays is not a rumor. NTD is working on it. Whether it will be on Project Cafe or not. They definitely have worked on the technology.

Hehe. I never worked at EAD. But that stuff in the article is fact. Again. It states what NTD has been working on. And those two features have been worked on at NTD.

Well, I wasn't sure about that, but I do remember that you have provided credible info on Nintendo in the past, and I wanted to let some of the newer posters know that you weren't full of BS.

Also, after looking at that youtube I posted above, it's one of the few things I've seen that might fit with all the rumors we've heard so far.

If the six inch screen is actually glasses, that would make it easy to have motion control too.. Basically you would wear the glasses and use a wiimote/nunchuck type setup for control. And it would explain why they emphasize the ability to stream whole games to the screen.

Also, when it comes to capturing the hardcore, VR would probably be the most aggressive way to do it. Imagine an FPS through a VR display with PS3+ level graphics. It's about the only way I can think of for Nintendo to up the ante on the wii's immersion factor and continue advancing in the same direction as that console.

Pyrokai

AceBandage said:
How doesn't it compute?

There is still the possibility they are not going after the hardcore at all. The rumor that they are could be completely false. Anything is still possible at this point. If they really don't care about going after the hardcore, they will most likely keep the Wii branding.

Not saying that I think they will, I'm just saying this is still completely possible.

BowieZ

Banned
Or they could go after the casual with the name and go after the hardcore with the system.

Kinda like 3DS.

DiddyBop said:
Haven't been following this thread closely so I dunno if it's your design butthat wii cafe logo is amazing
Thanks, but it needs a graphic designer's touch BADLY lol

CoffeeJanitor said:
Hardcore doesn't mean anything. Trying to split the industry's consumer base into casual/core/hardcore etc. is ignorant and frankly silly.

The industry's customers are gamers....That's it.

Fine, then. Long time gamers would be turned off by the Wii name.

Pyrokai said:
There is still the possibility they are not going after the hardcore at all. The rumor that they are could be completely false. Anything is still possible at this point. If they really don't care about going after the hardcore, they will most likely keep the Wii branding.

Not saying that I think they will, I'm just saying this is still completely possible.

Even if you discount the rumors, there's the fact that it's the exact same thing they're doing on the 3DS.

AceBandage said:
Fine, then. Long time gamers would be turned off by the Wii name.
Do you have any actual proof of this or is it just hearsay? Because I don't really think the Wii name has any negative connotations at all. On the contrary, it's probably the strongest name in the industry right now.

watershed

Banned
Krowley said:
Well, I wasn't sure about that, but I do remember that you have provided credible info on Nintendo in the past, and I wanted to let some of the newer posters know that you weren't full of BS.

Also, after looking at that youtube I posted above, it's about the only thing that might fit with all the rumors that I've seen so far.

If the six inch screen is actually glasses, that would make it easy to have motion control to, and it would explain why they emphasize the ability to stream whole games to the screen.

Also, when it comes to capturing the hardcore, VR would probably be the most aggressive way to do it. Imagine an FPS through a VR display with PS3+ level graphics. It's about the only way I can think of for Nintendo to up the ante on the wii's immersion factor and continue advancing in the same direction as that console.

Seriously? After all the mocking of 3d glasses you think Nintendo is gonna ask you to where a helmet or anything on your head at all? And with kids playing how often do you think those things would break? I don't see this happening.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Ridleyscott said:
Was Zelda I & II hack and slash? Zelda is supposed to be an action/adventure/rpg not a puzzle game. Again, comes down to the fact that developers are lazy and is easier to program puzzles than make a very fun and challenging adventure. But it was easier to do in 2D.

This is the worst use of "lazy developers" I've ever seen around here.

Pyrokai

AceBandage said:
Even if you discount the rumors, there's the fact that it's the exact same thing they're doing on the 3DS.

The 3DS tells me that they're still trying to appeal to everyone. They have Nintendogs and they have Kid Icarus. No different from having Wii Play and Skyward Swrod. "Casual and hardcore." I am more than sure they'll continue supporting "both" market segments.
However, the 3DS also tells me they're more interested in third party support and ensuring their success on a platform, and this is, of course, good.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Do you have any actual proof of this or is it just hearsay? Because I don't really think the Wii name has any negative connotations at all. On the contrary, it's probably the strongest name in the industry right now.

Way way way too many people only bought a Wii for WiiSports. It's a toxic name. They need to change it, regardless of their stance on who they're going for.

Do you guys think Nintendo could try to extend the Wii's life strictly as a system geared towards casual gamers, even after the Cafe has launched, especially if that one does not end up having Wii in its name?

Krowley

artwalknoon said:
Seriously? After all the mocking of 3d glasses you think Nintendo is gonna ask you to where a helmet or anything on your head at all? And with kids playing how often do you think those things would break? I don't see this happening.

Doesn't have to be a helmet. Just a pair of glasses.

And people would stop mocking pretty quick if they actually produced an affordable VR game system that could sense head movements and do augmented reality with PS3 level graphics or better.

I'm not saying it's the answer, but the poster who brought us this information is credible, and if he says nintendo has been researching this, I'm sold on the fact that they have been. Doesn't mean it's what they're doing with the Cafe, but it would fit many of the rumors better than some other things.

Holy Order Sol said:
Do you guys think Nintendo could try to extend the Wii's life strictly as a system geared towards casual gamers, even after the Cafe has launched, especially if that one does not end up having Wii in its name?

It's possible.
They are releasing a second WiiPlay, after all.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
AceBandage said:
Way way way too many people only bought a Wii for WiiSports. It's a toxic name. They need to change it, regardless of their stance on who they're going for.
Toxic? My god, the Wii name is one of the most enthusiastically recognized things in the world today, if not by message board people then by everyone else.

Eteric Rice

Holy Order Sol said:

This is what I was thinking. Stick a hard drive in there, cut the price down, and you have a nice console for casual gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom