• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

vhfive

Ramirez said:
I wanna see Nutter and Eazy in a steel cage fight at PAX, that'd make me book my flight tonight.

Also, someone be so kind to render this so Dax can take notes.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=16752396&player=TJ Ram

Sadly, they still capped, but what can ya do when it takes 30 seconds of standing on a flag to return it?
very nice

also still really want to go to PAX but I gotta wait and see what my monies are like after this month

Nutter said:
Game has so many issues, its not even worth discussing anymore since it is clear nothing will be done. Objective Playlist needs tweaks all over the place, but if it takes 8 months to finally even look at BTB, then nothing can be said how long it will take for Objective to get some changes. Flag return times are stupid long on small maps. 2 Grenades in Classic needs to be changed to 1 at spawn. Sniper re-spawn times are stupid, in fact snipers re-spawn faster then the flag returns on Asylum in a regular flag game.

Then the Playlist structure and the number of playlists....I honestly do not get some of the choices made for Matchmaking in this game and 3. Why the base playlists does not consist of the following is beyond me.

Team Slayer (4v4 or 5v5)

DMR starts, Pistol Starts, Pro (Without Radar)

Team Objective (4v4)

1 Flag(DMR)(Pistol), 2 Flag, CTF Classic, 1 Bomb(DMR)(Pistol), Neutral Bomb, Oddball.

Team Skirmish

Stockpile, Headhunter, Territories, 3 Plot, VIP.

Of course you would still get BTB and Multi Team and Action Sack.
Your first sentence is contradicted by the remainder of your post. You seem to be going through a profound internal conflict. Might I suggest you take a break from Reach's MP and play some Firefight, give yourself some time to relax and reflect on how you really feel.

Lake Minnetonka said:
Can people just stop complaining about bloom already? We get it already. Either adapt, move on, or just scroll back a pages if you want to read a bloom argument.

My goodness... Reach has the most balanced sandbox in the entire series and whether you like it or not, you have bloom to thank for that.

I get the feeling you just say this stuff for laughs but you bring up interesting points.

My goodness... Reach has the most balanced sandbox in the entire series and whether you like it or not, you have bloom to thank for that.

According to who? Bungie? In my opinion Reach's balance leads to little more than a glorified game of Rock Paper Scissors.

The type of balance I prefer is the type where all players start off with the same weapon and abilities. There dont need to be many weapons, but if the few weapons that exists are all fairly 'cool' and when they have a unique function thats a bonus. The good gameplay doesnt come from some showing of different people having different weapons, but it comes from the variety in gameplay that a good versatile starting weapon can allow for.

Basically Halo 1/2 and 3 according to Bungie had the worst balance because there were very few weapons being used. In my opinion Reach has the worst balance because despite many weapons being used, the variety which should exist in the gameplay is lost.

Striker

Nutter said:
Game has so many issues, its not even worth discussing anymore since it is clear nothing will be done. Objective Playlist needs tweaks all over the place, but if it takes 8 months to finally even look at BTB, then nothing can be said how long it will take for Objective to get some changes. Flag return times are stupid long on small maps. 2 Grenades in Classic needs to be changed to 1 at spawn. Sniper re-spawn times are stupid, in fact snipers re-spawn faster then the flag returns on Asylum in a regular flag game.
Just remember, around the 12 month frame in Halo 3's launch, we still had Team Snipers/Shotty Snipers in Team Slayer, Ranked BTB still had KotH/VIP and was removed in the midst of that, Team Objective had mostly Territories, VIP, and Land Grab around the same stature of Assault and CTF, and like BTB, was doing extremely awful in population so they also killed it, and the social gametypes all had AR starts, no matter the map. I'm in the state of mind that... this is the best we're going to get in terms of playlist management (from Bungie).

BTB in Reach is finally getting boosted. Only little information has been drawn, so I'm kind of skeptic what's abound. Atom and Countdown are gone, thankfully. He mentioned Assault coming in, but no word on Headhunter, Bro Slayer, Snipers, Elite Slayer, and Crazy King in the playlist. They need axed. Drop Shields are another case of remove altogether from MP. I'm worried little things like that will remain, thus neutering CTF and Assault anyway.

Team Slayer, Squad Slayer, and Arena will offer some variety. I personally would nix the regular Team Slayer since Squad Slayer is coming in, but what ya gonna do. Arena, Objective, and Classic bring the most competition for me and entertainment. It's a shame they're also lowly populated because shit like Living Dead is still around. Objective has a few flaws, but it's still a solid playlist. Classic is still in its infant stage - it will get improvements I imagine, and I believe it's getting 2-flag, Neutral Bomb, KotH, and Oddball.

I would just say it simply as "Its easier to pace bloom when on host because of the instant feedback"

I think the latency does some funny stuff to bloom especially when you get towards yellow bar.

I always hate pacing a good 5 shot and a dude turning around and just spamming five shots into me and getting a kill.

They should have just made it like H2, hitscan and a hits a hit if you're accurate. Why the fuck not? It makes sense. Read the words, they make sense, and it would probably play better than it reads.

The changes to BTB and Objective will be too little too late. Just like the Arena changes. I'm sorry but Hire Juices.

Hey You

I wish more people were still working on Reach. Urk mentioned a few weeks back somewhere that the number of people @ Bungie working on reach were in the Single Digits.

Maybe if more people were still on the Reach team, More stuff could be done in a shorter time frame.

We don't get holiday themed playlists like we did in Halo 3. Like Valentines Day Massacre,Turkey Day etc

neoism

circle.jpg

Ken

A27_StarWolf said:
I feel like this "too late" talk is a little hilarious. Took a while for some stuff in Halo: Reach to be implemented right?

That reminds me, was Firefight Versus 2v2 ever in matchmaking at any point?

Hey You said:
I wish more people were still working on Reach. Urk mentioned a few weeks back somewhere that the number of people @ Bungie working on reach were in the Single Digits.

Maybe if more people were still on the Reach team, More stuff could be done in a shorter time frame.

We don't get holiday themed playlists like we did in Halo 3. Like Valentines Day Massacre,Turkey Day etc

We did get a Valentines Day playlist: 2 person firefight.
I actually enjoyed that playlist very much. It was really great to get a game on Beachhead with a friend and just drive around in the Hog, killing everything.

I'd really love it if they brought back the playlist, I haven't gotten one game on Unearthed with more then 1 player since most of my friends don't have the map pack or don't want to play firefight.
And I don't really want to play with randoms from my own experiences and the horror stories her on Gaf.

Ken said:
That reminds me, was Firefight Versus 2v2 ever in matchmaking at any point?

Yes, I think it was in Grabb Bag for around 2 weeks and then it went ofline again. I only played in it about 2 times, too laggy for me to enjoy.

Karl2177

Hey You said:

343i. Believe.

Louis Wu

MrBig said:
Stand on top of that little garden thing and then jump and jet pack up to the gray ledge, you shouldn't even use half of your fuel. Then you can just sit there while it recharges and then jet pack to the top.
Forgot to check back in here last night, but just wanted to say thanks - I finally got this. :)

(My problem had been that I'd been hugging the wall on the boost up - I kept bouncing off the bottom of that first grey ledge. I really suck with the jetpack.)

Once I made it to the top, I had a nice series of "melee the FRG brute in the back, boost badly, die before making it to the 3rd floor" encounters. Luckily, there was a checkpoint as I walked through the door - so I kept spawning facing his back.

I really suck with the jetpack. :(

wwm0nkey

Been playing the new Section 8 game (A LOT of fun!) and some of these levels have a pretty Halo-ish feel to them, you guys should check the game out.

Louis Wu

A27_StarWolf said:
Louis, if you are using bumper jumper than you should switch over to default, it makes jetpack so much easier.
lol - yeah, Bumper Jumper... no.

I'm old. Changing control schemes is VERY hard for me. I still use the very first setup I used with Halo:

Southpaw, Southpaw, Inverted

I've tried to go back to Default a hundred times, in every game. Can't do it.

Me and jetpacks... just don't get along. I tend to overshoot narrow ledges.

wwm0nkey said:
Been playing the new Section 8 game (A LOT of fun!) and some of these levels have a pretty Halo-ish feel to them, you guys should check the game out.

When I went to setup the download on Xbox.com a little while ago the first screenshot I saw reminded me of Blood Gulch right away.

wwm0nkey

randomlyrossy said:
When I went to setup the download on Xbox.com a little while ago the first screenshot I saw reminded me of Blood Gulch right away.
All the maps aside from the volcano one will remind you of Halo to be honest :lol

Really though game is a blast and at $15 its a steal.

wwm0nkey said:
All the maps aside from the volcano one will remind you of Halo to be honest :lol

Really though game is a blast and at $15 its a steal.
LOL. I bought the prequel for 10€ and that was a retail release. But I liked it. I'm going to buy the arcade title, when I'll have points on my account again.

Btw. Thanks guys, that you want to help to get the last Halo 3/ODST achievements. Let's do on friday the Halo 3 first and if you still want to play, then one of the ODST Vidmaster achievements.

The Real Napsta said:
Armor or button layout? Both are pretty terrible IMO.
Mmh. Isn't Recon the Halo 3-like button layout? If so, then you sucks. Sorry. But how can people play with other layouts? Or does a Halo 2-like button layout exist?

Hypertrooper said:
Mmh. Isn't Recon the Halo 3-like button layout? If so, then you sucks. Sorry. But how can people play with other layouts? Or does a Halo 2-like button layout exist?

Yes recon is the Halo 3 layout. Default, Boxer, and Bumper Jumper are all better layouts IMO. It's personal preference though for the most part.

I use default in CE and 2, and bumper Jumper in Halo 3 and Reach.

Kibbles

The Real Napsta said:
Yes recon is the Halo 3 layout. Default, Boxer, and Bumper Jumper are all better layouts IMO. It's personal preference though for the most part.

I use default in CE and 2, and bumper Jumper in Halo 3 and Reach.
Same here. Once I discovered Bumper Jumper in Halo 3, I couldn't go back. I can play Halo 2 and CE just fine though.

I used Bumper Jumper in Halo 3, but have been using Default in Reach. I just felt that the Reach map design has put less emphasis on jumping and more on armor abilities.

I may have to switch back to Bumper Jumper, now that I play Classic enough to make it worthwhile. Not to mention I've slowly transitioned to using Sprint far more than any other AA.

I'm a bumper jumper/sprint guy, but when it's time to Jetpack I'll quickly flip to Recon. The two configs sit side by side in the controller menu making for a quick and easy dip into the settings.
And thanks HaloGaf for the interesting midnight reading material, haha. lulz = delivard

Ramirez

A27_StarWolf said:
I feel like this "too late" talk is a little hilarious. Took a while for some stuff in Halo: Reach to be implemented right?

Have you seen the population of this game most nights? I don't think it's been over 200k in months, not even sure if it goes over 150K most nights. There are multiple playlists that have 1K or less.

I'm hopeful that a CE remake is announced for the anniversary, and it has online MP, would anyone seriously still play Reach if that does happen?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Ramirez said:
Have you seen the population of this game most nights? I don't think it's been over 200k in months, not even sure if it goes over 150K most nights. There are multiple playlists that have 1K or less.

I'm hopeful that a CE remake is announced for the anniversary, and it has online MP, would anyone seriously still play Reach if that does happen?

I almost wish our guys hadn't tuned the population numbers so accurately. Unlike Halo 3, Reach's in game tally is actually displaying the number of players who have reported completed games withing an extremely short span of time. Literally, sixty seconds. For Halo 3, the span was greater than thirty minutes, and much more prone to processing backlogs.

Trasher

urk said:
I almost wish our guys hadn't tuned the population numbers so accurately. Unlike Halo 3, Reach's in game tally is actually displaying the number of players who have reported completed games withing an extremely short span of time. Literally, sixty seconds. For Halo 3, the span was greater than thirty minutes, and much more prone to processing backlogs.
So your point is that Halo 3's numbers were insanely inflated? And more specifically, 30 times inflated?

ElRenoRaven

urk said:

You're not alone in that wish because no matter how many times you tell them this they'll still proclaim that Reach is a failure and there is nobody playing it anymore.

Nutter

I can see why people would prefer other control schemes, but to call out Recon as terrible is just stupid.

If you cant tell, I play with Recon.

PsychoRaven said:
You're not alone in that wish because no matter how many times you tell them this they'll still proclaim that Reach is a failure and there is nobody playing it anymore.

So you are saying Reach has more or less the same population as Halo 3 in the same timeframe?

LOL

People can say there is Halo Fatigue and People moved on to COD and that Reach had the same success as Halo 3, but Im sure Bungie had higher hopes for Reach. Im sure COD has the same goals as COD3 right? LOL, those games are selling more with each iteration and it gets a release every f;n year... Fatigue.....

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Trasher said:
So your point is that Halo 3's numbers were insanely inflated? And more specifically, 30 times inflated?
They were as accurate as the tech would allow. 30 minute updates is still probably a quicker cadence than any other game out there that reports pop numbers. Sixty second updates are absurd. :)

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:

I'd have a really hard time leaving Forge World and its amazing maps behind.

kylej said:
Even better, what if we recreate CE in Forge World? Holy god. Get Jason Jones on the phone now.

November 15th, 2012: Bungie successfully tests the Time Machine they have been working on since Halo 3. Unfortunately, the chamber is only large enough to send one small disc-shaped item back in time.

September 14, 2000: Jason Jones finds a copy of Halo: Reach in his mailbox. He decreases the polygon count and replaces the textures with low-res versions. Builds levels in Forge World and tunes the gameplay with a custom gametype. Replaces the UI and releases it as Halo: CE after successfully uniting Microsoft and Bungie at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance.

urk said:
They were as accurate as the tech would allow. 30 minute updates is still probably a quicker cadence than any other game out there that reports pop numbers. Sixty second updates are absurd. :)

I wonder what kind of system black opps uses. I would not be surprised if they used a system to make the numbers higher.

A27_StarWolf said:
I wonder what kind of system black opps uses. I would not be surprised if they used a system to make the numbers higher.

I don't think it needs any of that. Xbox Live activity consistently show BLOPS + MW2 both ahead of Reach. Thats right MW2 still does better than Reach, meanwhile Halo 3 is down in the double digits, hell most lists would have cut it off.

I'm sorry but most Halo fans probably have moved on and or are bitching about it on forums because it lacks many things. The two primary things are good playlist management and good gameplay. Hell, they had to add like 3 different modes of Slayer to change it from what they released at start, thats not a good sign.

Its been out for only 7 months I think??? Yet it feels like years...

Top Bottom