• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AniHawk said:
6. big third parties won't support the system outright like ea did with sega.
7. nintendo doesn't spend $80 million to make one video game.

Don't you mean Third parties will support the system as opposed to what EA did with Sega? Third parties almost entirely bailed on supporting the Dreamcast as soon as it was announced.

AniHawk

Mortrialus said:
Don't you mean Third parties will support the system as opposed to what EA did with Sega? Third parties almost entirely bailed on supporting the Dreamcast as soon as it was announced.
yeah, that's what i meant.

watershed

Banned
antonz said:
That and the same kotaku article talks about the fact the other guys are looking at profitability for a change. So if the article has any truth to it while they will certainly be more powerful in the long run its not going to be to the degree of leaving the Wii2 back in the stoneage. Considering the potential installbase a Wii2 would have with a 2 year gap it would very likely be a lead platform for multiplatform work

I agree with everything in this post but especially the part that reads "if the article has any truth to it But if it is true I would love for the N6 to be the lead platform for multi-platform games tho somehow that seems like a very foreign notion. Still it will make my dream of owning only 1 console next gen a very real possibility.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It would be funny if the controller was the system. This has been covered, right? I bet they're just making a community ipad gaming system that you can play at a starbucks. yay.

PantherLotus said:
It would be funny if the controller was the system. This has been covered, right? I bet they're just making a community ipad gaming system that you can play at a starbucks. yay.

If that was the case, they wouldn't have released the 3DS.
They'd gobble each other's markets.

Doorman

antonz said:
That and the same kotaku article talks about the fact the other guys are looking at profitability for a change. So if the article has any truth to it while they will certainly be more powerful in the long run its not going to be to the degree of leaving the Wii2 back in the stoneage. Considering the potential installbase a Wii2 would have with a 2 year gap it would very likely be a lead platform for multiplatform work
The irony of the situation is that if they were faced with that, Nintendo with a more powerful system than what's out now, a two year lead, and if Cafe were considered a feasible platform for most of their AAA projects, then their only hope might be to yet again produce a luxury-level machine with the muscle to dramatically outclass Cafe to try and exclude Nintendo from the third party game again. Either that or they would have to out-Nintendo Nintendo in terms of coming up with some sort of must-have gameplay innovation.

M74

antonz said:
Which is why I'm highly skeptical of Kotaku's "source". At least one of the two dudebrahs will want to deprive Nintendo of this very opportunity, and push for a 2013 release (for better or worse).

Doorman said:
The irony of the situation is that if they were faced with that, Nintendo with a more powerful system than what's out now, a two year lead, and if Cafe were considered a feasible platform for most of their AAA projects, then their only hope might be to yet again produce a luxury-level machine with the muscle to dramatically outclass Cafe to try and exclude Nintendo from the third party game again. Either that or they would have to out-Nintendo Nintendo in terms of coming up with some sort of must-have gameplay innovation.

The latter being nearly impossible.
The former being possible, but not without a slow system start up due to high entrance costs.

watershed

Banned
Doorman said:

One thing is, if Sony is the one to come up with this massive innovation, they will still screw it up by advertising it wrong, (see ps3 and baby doll) and price it out of the mainstream market. Sony has a strange way of making even their most interesting or appealing software seem like you need to be rich and part of an exclusive club to buy it.

Gvaz

Banned
iPad is a waste of money, go buy a real tablet pc.

I'm kind of disappointed with the ipod touch as well, I should spent some of that money on a nice small HDTV instead

Mailenstein said:
Makes no sense.

I know.
I mean, in any other market, screwing over your install base by releasing a yearly revision that makes your older models nearly obsolete would be seen as a huge insult.
Yet it somehow works for Apple...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
AceBandage said:
Dude... that's Apple.
The same people that purchase a new phone every few months to remain trendy...

No, it's an example of a company that makes products one would expect to cannibalize each other.

Pyrokai

Do you guys think Nintendo is going to future proof itself *just* enough to stay competitive when the hypothetical 2014 release of the Nextbox and PS4 come out? I mean, they HAVE to realize they're putting themselves in a very strange position when launching 2 years before the competition, right? Two years probably isn't the maximum lifespan they want their console to last, right? So, ASSUMING that they realize that in 2014 the competition comes out with new consoles that trump Nintendo's own console in power (assuming), they're going to be in the same predicament they are with Wii in terms of no software support (also assuming) because the system can't support the newest games. This is also ASSUMING they're not happy with the current Wii situation. If they don't care, well...then fuck everything I'm saying.

This is why they need to make a console where its power will be between the current generation of PS360 and the future generation of PS4720, this way it can receive appropriately scaled-up or scaled-down third party games from BOTH generations. They HAVE to realize this, right? I know they can't be overlooking it.......right? It really doesn't compute with me unless they truly don't care about having that market.

I mean, I know graphics are increasingly becoming irrelevant, but unless they come up with some innovations that make every gamer NEED to play THAT NEW WAY without the killer graphics of next gen, they're going to have to lure the hardcore and convince them that it's enough of a power jump to be in line with what the future also holds from the competition (a la PS2 days).

Again, this is all assuming they want that market. Lots of assumptions, here.

AniHawk

artwalknoon said:
One thing is, if Sony is the one to come up with this massive innovation, they will still screw it up by advertising it wrong, (see ps3 and baby doll) and price it out of the mainstream market. Sony has a strange way of making even their most interesting or appealing software seem like you need to be rich and part of an exclusive club to buy it.
i wonder when the psp didn't steamroll the ds if everyone went a little psychotic. because from 1997-2005, their ads were fantastic. the final fantasy vii two-page spread, crash yelling outside of nintendo hq, the ps9 commercial (still one of the best launch ads), and then yearly stuff like when they introduced 'live in your world, play in ours'

and then shit went crazy.

AceBandage said:
I know.
I mean, in any other market, screwing over your install base by releasing a yearly revision that makes your older models nearly obsolete would be seen as a huge insult.
Yet it somehow works for cell phone companies...

it's broader than you think

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I just want to clarify I think it's silly to make definitive statements of negation when you obviously don't know anything. Not trying to be a dick, but you don't know shit. I'm just speculating at possibilities.

PantherLotus said:
No, it's an example of a company that makes products one would expect to cannibalize each other.

Right, but Apple is the exception. This is not something that Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft can accomplish.

PantherLotus said:
I just want to clarify I think it's silly to make definitive statements of negation when you obviously don't know anything. Not trying to be a dick, but you don't know shit. I'm just speculating at possibilities.

And I'm telling you, it isn't going to happen.
There's a Grand Canyon sized difference between Smart Phones and Tablets and dedicated gaming devices.
Nintendo isn't going to make two handhelds to just eat away at eachother's userbase.

Doorman

AceBandage said:
The latter being nearly impossible.
The former being possible, but not without a slow system start up due to high entrance costs.
Exactly. It's a risk, but the alternative would be releasing a system marginally more powerful than a competitor that can run most of the same games and has had a year, two, or more to build up a community. Limping into the generation without something big to tilt content creation back in their favor would guarantee near-irrelevance.

watershed

Banned
AniHawk said:
i wonder when the psp didn't steamroll the ds if everyone went a little psychotic. because from 1997-2005, their ads were fantastic. the final fantasy vii two-page spread, crash yelling outside of nintendo hq, the ps9 commercial (still one of the best launch ads), and then yearly stuff like when they introduced 'live in your world, play in ours'

and then shit went crazy.

maybe because the psp, pspgo, ps3 and the entire Move set, eye toy, move controller, additional move controllers, optional navigational sub controller, are/were all really expensive when compared to the competition.

EDarkness

AceBandage said:
I know.
Yet it somehow works for Apple...

I think people who buy PC products expect yearly updates. If that didn't happen, you can bet there would be upset people. Hell, just look at all the people who are complaining about the iPhone 5 getting pushed back to September. I used to work at Cingular/AT&T when I was in college and we'd get calls all the time about when the next version of a phone (at the time it was the Razor) was going to be released even though they just bought one a year ago.

dwu8991

Banned
Please hope the game play and multiplayer is more inspiring than boring black ops, sick of playing that stupid Havana level over and over again. (Suppose to be in the conduiet 2 post)

M74

Pyrokai said:
Do you guys think Nintendo is going to future proof itself *just* enough to stay competitive when the hypothetical 2014 release of the Nextbox and PS4 come out?
I don't even need to read the remainder of your post to answer this:

If they care at all about 3rd party support, which relies primarily on the ability to produce multi-platform ports as a means to make high end development profitable, then they must stay within the range of portability. What that range will be, nobody really knows at this point. But Nintendo will, almost certainly, try to establish themselves at the lower end of that range; anything higher would be cost prohibitive for their typical business model.

The question is, will Nintendo competently estimate the range they need to target?

onipex

Doorman said:
Nintendo's looking to capture anybody who has money to spend on their products. That is their market. Are there as many traditional gamers as there are casuals (or Nintendo's preferred term, the nongamer) out there? No, obviously. But calling that market "insignificant" is taking that sentiment too far. When you hook them, they're easier to retain, and customer retention is a huge issue that Nintendo has faced this generation. And yes, you need retention, because you can spread into all the blue oceans you want to, but that does you no long-term good if that same mainstream abandons you and acts unpredictably.

Really? All recent data points to the Wii base activity buying games still. Just go to gamasutra and look at the software data they have.The best way to lose the expanded audience that Nintendo capatured is to go after the core gamers. There is no way to predict where the mainstream will go at the start of a new generation. So far this gen Nintendo has not lost them since they are still buying more than enough Wii games.

Nintendo has always stated that they want everyone to play their systems. Their biggest mistake is thinking they could rely on third party support to fill software gaps. They need to correct that one way or the other.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:
With two key differences.
1. Nintendo software destroys Sega software in terms of appeal and sales.
2. Sony can't make retailers not carry Nintendo stock like they did with Sega.
What's the story behind this? Dreamcast launched during a time I wasn't paying too much attention to the industry and this is the first I've heard of Sony actually bullying Sega off of store shelves.

Jive Turkey said:
What's the story behind this? Dreamcast launched during a time I wasn't paying too much attention to the industry and this is the first I've heard of Sony actually bullying Sega off of store shelves.

From what I remember, Sony went around to retailers and would buy out shelf space from Sega. Which, of course, wasn't difficult, since retailers already had been burned by Sega with their past systems and Sony was a juggernaut.

EDarkness

onipex said:
Really? All recent data points to the Wii base activity buying games still. Just go to gamasutra and look at the software data they have.The best way to lose the expanded audience that Nintendo capatured is to go after the core gamers. There is no way to predict where the mainstream will go at the start of a new generation. So far this gen Nintendo has not lost them since they are still buying more than enough Wii games.

Nintendo has always stated that they want everyone to play their systems. Their biggest mistake is thinking they could rely on third party support to fill software gaps. They need to correct that one way or the other.

There's no reason why they can't have both, though. I think "core" gamers are relatively easy to please and with higher powered hardware and the potential for more ports of big games, they'll have more of a chance to keep people from "not turning on their system" for months.

maeda

So have we decided what Retro is making for Cafe? I hope everyone reached a conclusion that Star Tropics is a candidate worthy of a magnificent revival! But seriously, why the fuck game journos haven't been annoying Nintendo about Star Tropics revival as vehemently as they were annoying it about Kid Ikarus revival. I mean look how that turned out! People need to form a "Star Tropics revival bitching front"!

Deku said:
Sega burned their bridges with retailers with the Saturn.

Ah yes, that's right. Retailers didn't take kindly to the surprise launch. Man, I remember my friend telling me he had a Saturn months before I thought it was coming out and being like WTF?!

maeda said:
So have we decided what Retro is making for Cafe? I hope everyone reached a conclusion that Star Tropics is a candidate worthy of a magnificent revival! But seriously, why the fuck game journos haven't been annoying Nintendo about Star Tropics revival as vehemently as they were annoying it about Kid Ikarus revival. I mean look how that turned out! People need to form a "Star Tropics revival bitching front"!
They are making a Feel the Magic sequel.

antonz

Fourth Storm said:
Ah yes, that's right. Retailers didn't take kindly to the surprise launch. Man, I remember my friend telling me he had a Saturn months before I thought it was coming out and being like WTF?!
Yeah Sega did things that made it easy for Sony to toss a bit of muscle around and basically assassinate Sega.

Utako

Banned
M74 said:
Uh. What?
The GCN triggers had far too much resistance and too long to travel between depressed and unrepressed. Not even close to the perfect triggers. If any controller comes close, it's the Wiimote.

antonz said:
Yeah Sega did things that made it easy for Sony to toss a bit of muscle around and basically assassinate Sega.

I remember my Toys R Us having a very small space for Saturn stuff. Was odd seeing a Sega system relegated to Turbo Graphics status after the success of the Genesis. Still remember that Clockwork Knight music from the demo unit though!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fourth Storm said:

Still the surprise launch idea was pretty neat I thought. No endless months of waiting, just BOOM, go pick it up.

Pyrokai

M74 said:
I don't even need to read the remainder of your post to answer this:

If they care at all about 3rd party support, which relies primarily on the ability to produce multi-platform ports as a means to make high end development profitable, then they must stay within the range of portability. What that range will be, nobody really knows at this point. But Nintendo will, almost certainly, try to establish themselves at the lower end of that range; anything higher would be cost prohibitive for their typical business model.

The question is, will Nintendo competently estimate the range they need to target?

Do you, personally, think they will? Rumors aside?

And do you think Epic Games will lock out the system again with the next Unreal Engine? I think that's a big thing, you know? Hmmm....

M74

Utako said:
The GCN triggers had far too much resistance and too long to travel between depressed and unrepressed. Not even close to the perfect triggers. If any controller comes close, it's the Wiimote.
People seriously undervalue the programmability of analog triggers. Then again, maybe that's developer fault.

cacildo

Look, all this talk about a screen in the controller is getting scarier by the moment.

THIS IS BAD FOR YOU! Screen in the controller is one of the worst ideas ever!!

Andrex said:
Still the surprise launch idea was pretty neat I thought. No endless months of waiting, just BOOM, go pick it up.

Yeah, except back then $400 was an astronomical price (2x as much as the previous generation) and they launched without a Sonic game and with a version of Virtua Fighter that wasn't even arcade perfect. Meanwhile Virtua Fighter 2 was already out (or soon to come. Can't quite recall). And man, was Virtua Fighter 2 amazing to behold at that time. TEXTURE MAPS? WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY?

CoffeeJanitor said:
I'm just afraid I'll be controlling the next 3D mario with an iPad screen.
The good thing is that nintendo wouldn't put a traditional mario game on a control scheme like that. At least I don't think they would...

Edit: Immediately after this post, I realized they made us play mario 64 with a touch screen.

antonz

Its tuesday guys. 4 PM Tuesday Tokyo time aka 3 AM Tuesday EST, Midnight Pacific. Event will be streamed apparently but of course in japanese so will need moonspeak translators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom