• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Vinci

Danish
The Dreamcast comparisons need to stop. My god, people are ignoring all the reasons the Dreamcast failed and latching onto the one that MS has proven isn't a given death sentence.

EDarkness

1-D_FTW said:
Can't believe that stupid video got any traction. The screen looked stupid as a screenshot when it was originally made, but seeing the video and how unnaturally it's incorporated removes all remaining doubt (that .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent) that it was a photoshop.

You shouldn't be surprised. People are ready to latch on to anything that might even remotely have some grain of truth to it. You'd think that big name sites would start debunking this sort of thing.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
From The Dust said:
They start Setting up banners and shit two weeks before the show?
No, a week to 5 days to get it all rigged and going. Banners and sensitive materials get hung late at night then covered up

From The Dust said:
They start Setting up banners and shit two weeks before the show?

I can't recall seeing show-floor photos of previous E3s any earlier than the week before the show, with the main leaks usually coming during the final weekend. But correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Oh, I thought you were saying those leaks would be a week from now. Never mind, then.

Acheteedo

DECK'ARD said:
It says 6" at the end of the video, you can clearly see it at 34 seconds.
Which would make the size of the buttons and sticks in the video all wrong.

Is that based on intuition alone or have you made measurements? Perhaps 6" isn't as long as you think it is.

Acheteedo said:
Is that based on intuition alone or have you made measurements? Perhaps 6" isn't as long as you think it is.
Back in the old thread I took measurements on the Classic and compared them to the size of the screen (as well as the dimensions of a 6" screen in 4:3 and 16:9)

AniHawk

jacksrb said:
While that video is super fake, I was surprised how compelling even that having a drawn controller with the video screen pushing nice visuals.

That made me think of weird ways that Nintendo could introduce Project Cafe.

How about this:
- Lights down
- HD visuals example of the featured Cafe launch title
- Camera pulls back to reveal that the video is running in the controller
- Iwata / Reggie walks back on stage with controller in hand, demo starts

and then the most important step, when they release five capuchin monkeys into the crowd.

Jasper said:
Even though the Wii was supposed to be 2 or 3 times more powerful than the Gamecube, most third party developers managed to make their Wii games look about as good as a PS2/Dreamcast game.

Wii was never 2 or 3 times more powerful than GameCube, it's 1.5x (50%) more powerful.

A.KU.MU

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
It says 6" at the end of the video, you can clearly see it at 34 seconds.
Which would make the size of the buttons and sticks in the video all wrong.

No. The analog sticks and d-pad would be ~1.33"/ ~3.37 cm - the A, B, X, Y buttons would be ~0.66" / ~1.67 cm - if the screen is 6" / 15.24 cm.

Bentendo

Graphics Horse said:
Reggie walks on stage and talks about the Wii and DS and what they mean for the future of Nintendo.
Ten minutes later his hands reach up to his face, and he removes his face.
It turns out it was Iwata standing there all along, and Reggie's face is just video streaming through the controller.

I imagine the conference going somewhat similarly to this. However, this is how I see it happening:

Reggie is on stage talking for quite some time and mentions that they've made a breakthrough in holographic technology. He asks Iwata to come out on stage to demonstrate, and when he does he walks right through Reggie, revealing that he was a hologram all along. When he does so the crowd will go C.R.A.Z.Y.

I'm actually quite confident that this will happen. It'd be interesting if the real Reggie walked through his holographic counterpart, but that would ruin the surprise of someone walking through someone that they thought was real, you know?

Vinci

Danish
Bentendo said:
I imagine the conference going somewhat similarly to this. However, this is how I see it happening:

Reggie is on stage talking for quite some time and mentions that they've made a breakthrough in holographic technology. He asks Iwata to come out on stage to demonstrate, and when he does he walks right through Reggie, revealing that he was a hologram all along. When he does so the crowd will go C.R.A.Z.Y.

I'm actually quite confident that this will happen. It'd be interesting if the real Reggie walked through his holographic counterpart, but that would ruin the surprise of someone walking through someone that they thought was real, you know?

Someday, someone is going to do this - and people are going to freak out.

Bentendo said:

That sounds feasible.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
herzogzwei1989 said:
Wii was never 2 or 3 times more powerful than GameCube, it's 1.5x (50%) more powerful.
By clock alone, neglecting all other improvements.

Bentendo said:

Also free hoverboards for all attendants, right?

Real conference:

* Nintendo are 20 minutes late starting *
* we have been listening to bad electronic music and looking at the Nintendo logo for over 40 minutes *
* the room lights dim, the stage lights up *

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the president of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata"

clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap,clap

* Iwata throws his head back and parts his hair with both hands *

"Thank you.. and we'come
faw manee yee-ars at Neen-ten-doh... we have been.. trying to expan.. the gameeng populassion. And we have been... very successful"

* powerpoint presentation starts *
* some 15 minutes of agony later *

"and that is why tooday, we are announcing... the Nintendo <insert name>"

* podium raises out of ground amidst a fog of dry ice, with the console sat on top *
* booth babes stroll out towards press carrying controllers, or maybe just lubing their hands up suggestively *
* miyamoto runs around the stage waving a sword and shield *
* they release five capuchin monkeys into the crowd *
* images of Nintendo games in HD *

* grown men whoop, holler and cry... and cry some more *
* GAF 505s because too many people are posting "OMFG" at once *

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Bentendo said:

I expect this maybe with the Wii 3, but 2?

A.KU.MU said:
No. The analog sticks and d-pad would be ~1.33"/ ~3.37 cm - the A, B, X, Y buttons would be ~0.66" / ~1.67 cm - if the screen is 6" / 15.24 cm.

The sizing is way off

35irtc0.jpg

that's just a quick paint edit though

this is to scale
r8s0er.jpg

This is how large the analog sticks should be to a 6" screen
2yo5to0.jpg

This is a very rough approximation as to what theirs looks like on the same 6" screen
eb91tj.jpg

radioheadrule83 said:
* Iwata throws his head back and parts his hair with both hands *

"Thank you.. and we'come
faw manee yee-ars at Neen-ten-doh... we have been.. trying to expan.. the gameeng populassion. And we have been... very successful"

this is what I'm waiting for

JazzmanZ

Bentendo said:

Reggie will also say Magic is real and start making everyone in the room floating in the air like peter pan right?

radioheadrule83 said:
Real conference:

Last year's conference started exactly on time, and there was barely anything in the way of charts - the Skyward Sword trailer/demo was literally the first thing shown, after a very brief introductory speech from Reggie. Let's hope they can pull off something similar this year.

I'm actually expecting the best conference since they unveiled the Gamecube. Between 3DS announcements and the new console, I think its gonna be wall-to-wall awesome.

Bentendo

Father_Brain said:
Last year's conference started exactly on time, and there was barely anything in the way of charts - the Skyward Sword trailer/demo was literally the first thing shown, after a very brief introductory speech from Reggie. Let's hope they can pull off something similar this year.

I think this year will be similar to last year. For months Reggie and Nintendo bragged about how great their E3 presser was, and you know that they can't go anywhere else but up. Being a new hardware reveal I imagine that the E3 presser will be devoid of any charts and will focus primarily on the new games. E3 2006 was so awesome for this reason, and while the subsequent conferences were a disappointment, Nintendo seemed to have learned a lot in the past two years. E3 2009 was a step in the right direction, while E3 2010 was an absolute delight. I imagine, with Zelda, Project Cafe and Super Mario 3D, this may be the greatest E3 Nintendo's ever had. I know it's not good to hype an event, but just trust me: it will be jaw dropping. Nintendo's E3 2011 press conference will be more memorable than any event in E3's history... in fact, it may be the most memorable event in this industry's history.

In all likelihood... watching this event will be the pinnacle of your life.

Bentendo said:
I think this year will be similar to last year. For months Reggie and Nintendo bragged about how great their E3 presser was, and you know that they can't go anywhere else but up. Being a new hardware reveal I imagine that the E3 presser will be devoid of any charts and will focus primarily on the new games. E3 2006 was so awesome for this reason, and while the subsequent conferences were a disappointment, Nintendo seemed to have learned a lot in the past two years. E3 2009 was a step in the right direction, while E3 2010 was an absolute delight. I imagine, with Zelda, Project Cafe and Super Mario 3D, this may be the greatest E3 Nintendo's ever had. I know it's not good to hype an event, but just trust me: it will be jaw dropping. Nintendo's E3 2011 press conference will be more memorable than any event in E3's history... in fact, it may be the most memorable event in this industry's history.

In all likelihood... watching this event will be the pinnacle of your life.

For M Bison it will just be Tuesday.
It actually will!

As I continue making my way through Twilight Princess again, I am just in AWE, even 4 1/2 years later, of how huge the world is, and how beautful the locales are. I want more, in HD, with a massive, massive increase in complexity. I want a CG world with better graphics than SKyrim, in a style similar to Twilight Princess. Lets face facts, Twilight Princess sold much better than Wind Waker and Skyward Sword has yet to be sold. Who knows how well Skyward Sword will do. The world bought Twilight Princess but rejected Wind Waker (dispite how much love it gets on GAF). Nintendo is trying to please both sides with Skyward Sword. Will it work? Who knows. I just think that an HD Twilight Princess style game would sell to the masses. With the R7xx (RV770 pleeeease!) Nintendo could outshine the best games on the current HD consoles. It would sell IMO.

Woffls

Woo! New episode of Nintendo Voice Chat is up :D Titled "E3 Approaches"

It's difficult to beat Twilight Princess, because people already had expectations for Zelda at that point, and the trailer was essentially validation of what people wanted to see. When Nintendo unveil an HD trailer or gameplay for Mario or Zelda, we'll see a similar reaction, because it's what the enthusiast press wants to see at this stage. Whether it will happen this year or next year is another matter.

I'm trying so hard to suppress the hYYYYPPEE OMG :D

maeda

Father_Brain said:
Personally, I'll never agree with that, considering how much of the positive response to the 2004 trailer directly resulted from hatred of Wind Waker's art style.
You still have to agree that no other reveal have ever made Nintendo fanboys' imagination go nuts like TP's reveal did. I remember how seeing in that trailer what looked like a freaking real forest made me feel inside. It just looked like all our dreams had come true, even though a lot of people were riding high on their WW anti-bias.

Vinci said:
The Dreamcast comparisons need to stop. My god, people are ignoring all the reasons the Dreamcast failed and latching onto the one that MS has proven isn't a given death sentence.
Even from a techology standpoint it doesn't make sense. Not with the way technology's progressing today, nevermind the shift in ideology from a massive loss taking hardware model.

If DC to PS2/GC/Xbox is what people are expecting technology wise for Cafe to XB3/PS4, then would PS/N64 to DC then be a good comparison for 360/PS3 to Cafe? I doubt either one really reflects well on what we'll see.

Father_Brain said:
Personally, I'll never agree with that, considering how much of the positive response to the 2004 trailer directly resulted from hatred of Wind Waker's art style.

I respect your opinion, but you're definitely in the minority.

Dreamcast was a full generational leap over Saturn, PS1 and N64. We're not likely to get a generational leap over Xbox360, PS3, even if Cafe is 3-5 times more powerful, that's not a generation difference. I agree the Dreamcast comparisons need to stop. Nintendo isn't in the dire position that Sega was in.

herzogzwei1989 said:
I respect your opinion, but you're definitely in the minority.

Never said I wasn't! But the fanboys really did their best to ruin that reveal for me - they didn't completely succeed, but they did drag it down quite a bit.

jay

I'm glad more people are tired of the Dreamcast bullshit.

If people want to make a half generational leap analogy, how about... the Wii?

Of course the point of the analogy is to paint a picture of Nintendo failing so this doesn't work, despite being much more accurate an analogy than the Dreamcast.

herzogzwei1989 said:
The Twilight Princess reveal in 2004 (before it was called Twilight Princess) was the most awesome moment in Nintendo's E3 history. Lets see it again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pB647PE-80

Nonononono. This is both the best (holy fuck that is a great trailer, and the hype building by Miyamoto is perfect) and the worst (what's with all the manchildren being invited to their press conferences) moment in Nintendo E3 history.

Smash Bros Brawl announcement comes close.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
BlackNMild2k1 said:
The sizing is way off

35irtc0.jpg

that's just a quick paint edit though

this is to scale
r8s0er.jpg

This is how large the analog sticks should be to a 6" screen
2yo5to0.jpg

This is a very rough approximation as to what theirs looks like on the same 6" screen
eb91tj.jpg

Good job, I hoped someone would mock it up as people just look at the video and think that looks like it would work without realising the problems with the dimensions.

Now we can't say 100% that it's fake, but it would be highly surprising for Nintendo to release a controller with such enormous sticks and oversized buttons. Unless their idea for family orientated gaming now involves the whole family operating one controller ;)

A far more likely explanation is as with a lot of the mock-ups that have been posted, people concentrate on making it look right first and then throw in the details like the size of the screen afterwards without thinking.

herzogzwei1989 said:
Dreamcast was a full generational leap over Saturn, PS1 and N64. We're not likely to get a generational leap over Xbox360, PS3, even if Cafe is 3-5 times more powerful, that's not a generation difference. I agree the Dreamcast comparisons need to stop. Nintendo isn't in the dire position that Sega was in.
Although PS to DC was 4 years, 360 to Cafe will be 7 years.

I agree we won't see a standard generational leap over the HD systems for Cafe, but it's also hard to really see how XB3 & PS4 could be a generational leap over Cafe (and thus 360/PS3) unless they're launching 2015 or later. Does that mean we won't see a full leap this gen, or will they wait? It doesn't look like Microsoft's waiting anyway given their hiring spree and the AMD leak.

What would it take for the DC comparison to really work tech wise? 360/PS3 would be DC, Cafe would be PS2 and XB3/PS4 would be GC/XB?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Green Scar said:
Nonononono. This is both the best (holy fuck that is a great trailer, and the hype building by Miyamoto is perfect) and the worst (what's with all the manchildren being invited to their press conferences) moment in Nintendo E3 history.

Smash Bros Brawl announcement comes close.

Manchildren? Because everyone was super excited for the revelation? You'd rather the reaction to be dead silence as if the room was full of people who never played Zelda?

Top Bottom