• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 6 Is Planned to Be the Most Powerful Console of Its Generation; Sony Is Only Considering AMD

Hohenheim

This is pretty obvious stuff. Every time rumours about a new console starts spreading and the system is 3-4 years away, the "rumours" sounds pretty much in line with current medium rage PC tech. The "leak" here sounds like a 4070 ti/4080 which should be a awesome upgrade for those who are not into PC gaming.
If Sony is really getting serious about ray/path tracing they should consider NVIDIA, but there's certanly lots of reasons for Sony going the AMD route agsin next time as well.

Insane win for Microsoft.

phil-spencer.gif
No Way Beer GIF by Busch

clarky

Gold Member
Well i just wasted a few moments of my life right there, cheers OP, you owe me.

There literally no information in the OP or the link that isn't pulled straight out of someones arse hole.

Last edited:

mrcroket

This is pretty obvious stuff. Every time rumours about a new console starts spreading and the system is 3-4 years away, the "rumours" sounds pretty much in line with current medium rage PC tech. The "leak" here sounds like a 4070 ti/4080 which should be a awesome upgrade for those who are not into PC gaming.
If Sony is really getting serious about ray/path tracing they should consider NVIDIA, but there's certanly lots of reasons for Sony going the AMD route agsin next time as well.
It's a matter of time for AMD to reach NVIDIA in raytracing performance, the same with upscalers with AI, as it has already done with performance on rastering. And I'm a user of NVIDIA (RTX 4080), but the Nvidia marketing has people's brains fried.

kyussman

I'm afraid I just can't get excited for MORE POWAH if AAA game design is going to remain stagnated.......we need more Death Stranding like chances being taken.

NEbeast

RGT.
Did this guy get anything right before the ps5 release? He was all over these forums and I don't remember him getting much, if anything , correct.
No Way Abandon Thread GIF

Hohenheim

It's a matter of time for AMD to reach NVIDIA in raytracing performance, the same with upscalers with AI, as it has already done with performance on rastering. And I'm a user of NVIDIA (RTX 4080), but the Nvidia marketing has people's brains fried.
Yeah, hopefully AMD is gettin there. Good, healthy competition is good. NVIDIA user here as well (4090), and probably a bit fried for all I know:)
Very happy with them though, and being used to ray/path tracing in 4K, makes it hard to be excited about the hardware in a console. Especially when I know I have probably upgraded to a 50 or 60-series by the time another console gets out. But i'll be there day one, if only for the unboxing. New tech/hardware is too much fun! And i'm sure there'll be a killer game at launch (Bloodborne remake, please)

I'm way more interested in a new Sony handheld (a proper one, not the streaming shit). Hope the rumours that both Sony and MS working on dedicated handhelds are true, although I doubt it.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Well, it looks like HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is correct. Xbox is coming out earlier than PS6. PS6, the most powerful console of its generation because it is the only console of its generation. :messenger_sunglasses:

phant0m

Too bad, DLSS is far superior tech.

Really excited to see what Super SwitchTM can do.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

its been over 3 years into this generation and im still waiting for a game that feel truly next gen and im not talking about the graphics but game mechanics and level design so forgive me if im not excited about ps6 or next xbox

LRKD

I mean.... How hard can it be to be the most powerful console when at most they only have Xbox to compete against when it comes to powerful hardware. And like who cares? Gaming has stagnated, gen upgrades have been less and less, and this gen all the big games are pretty much just remakes.

TrebleShot

Yeah, it's a bit wild to me that we're seeing people talking about PS6 this soon.

I don't see any game maximizing the hardware of PS5 at all yet. We're still seeing pretty bad performance issues on cross-gen games. I'd rather see a long string of games running well on PS5 before I could even think of PS6 lol.

I hope they call it Playstation Next or something. "PS6" sounds funny.
What are you talking about?
Most games launch with a blurry 60fps mode and an upscaled 30fps mode.

This gen was tapped out one year in.

Sony is planning to make the PlayStation 6 the most powerful console of its generation and, as such, is not afraid to take as much time as needed to achieve this goal.

A new video shared by RedGaming Tech this week provides some updates not only on Sony's next-generation system but also on the PlayStation 5 Pro. While Sony has yet to announce its mid-generation refresh system, it seems more and more likely the console is indeed releasing, as third-party studios started receiving dev kits recently. While this isn't a confirmation that the system is coming 100%, as hardware is canceled all the time, the fact that dev kits are getting shipped out suggests that Sony is going through with its PlayStation 5 upgrade, which should be released later this year.

As for the PlayStation 6, the system has been in the works for around one year, and its specs, like CPU and RAM, haven't been finalized yet. Sony is talking with development studios as of now to tweak the system, which is almost assuredly going to be powered by AMD technology, as AMD is the only vendor Sony is considering, according to RedGaming Tech. This is somewhat new, as Sony was talking with multiple vendors, including NVIDIA, for the PlayStation 5, before settling on AMD.

While the system specifications have yet to be decided, Sony is set on making the PlayStation 6 the most powerful console of its generation and is thus ready to take things slowly, as the console's release window is said to be 2028. How this goal will be achieved remains unknown, but it is being said the Japanese company is tripling down on ray tracing and path tracing, the latter not universally supported due to its massive performance costs, machine learning and AI, especially in regards to NPCs' interactions to offer innovative and advanced gaming experiences.

As the PlayStation 6 is still far from release, and the PlayStation 5 Pro is still unannounced, we have to take everything revealed in the video with a grain of salt. Still, there are definitely some exciting times ahead, and it will be interesting to see how both Sony and Microsoft will handle their next-generation hardware.

That's dumb only considering AMD which makes subpar graphics cards that can't compete against the competition (like the RX 6700 the PS5 has in it). CPU wise AMD does from ok to great in recent times but the great CPUs (7800X 3D) isn't close to what a console will have. Just look at the PS5 Pro still sporting a CPU that gets outperformed by 6 year old Intel CPUs.

Sony goes with AMD because AMD is the cheapest option , cheapest isn't the best it's not even close to it.

winjer

Gold Member
That's dumb only considering AMD which makes subpar graphics cards that can't compete against the competition (like the RX 6700 the PS5 has in it). CPU wise AMD does from ok to great in recent times but the great CPUs (7800X 3D) isn't close to what a console will have. Just look at the PS5 Pro still sporting a CPU that gets outperformed by 6 year old Intel CPUs.

Sony goes with AMD because AMD is the cheapest option , cheapest isn't the best it's not even close to it.

6 years ago, Intel was on the 8700K era. Put that on the PS5, and it would only have 5C10T left for games.
And when it comes to games, the difference between an 3700X and an 8700K is around 4%.
The 3700X the PS5 has is a cutdown version, because it has to make room for the GPU units. But the thing we have to consider is that consoles are meant to run games at 30 to 60 fps.
Consoles don't need ultra high end CPUs that can spit out hundreds of FPS.
And of course the pro consoles will have the same CPU, to maintain direct compatibility, within the same generation. Only with the PS6, should we expect it to use new CPUs.
In the matter of the GPU, AMD is on par with Nvidia when it comes to rasterization. It's with regards to RT that it's lagging.

Sony and MS don't go with AMD just because it is cheaper. It's also because AMD has an X86 license, making it much easier to port games to and from the PC. And because there are so many tools, middleware and engines with support for it.
The other big reason is that AMD is much easier to work with. Nvidia is notable for being a very bad company to collaborate with to make consoles.

Shubh_C63

Ok so we think Sony will pull a costly built console when the competition is throwing the game ?

Or they doubling down on they having the best cinematic experience gaming out of all 3, given MS studios can't compete, not with xbox-hh in mind for development.

sachos

I mean it pretty much HAS to be a Raytracing beast, if we want true next gen games then we need it to be capable of full pathtraced games. Also i really hope they are working on their own version of DLSS. Those two are a must imo.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
People seriously caring how powerful the PS6 will be in 2024. We're not even at the inevitable PS5 refresh yet.

At what point do these people realise they'd be far better suited ditching the platform together and going all-in on PC where they can obsess over numbers infinitely?

buenoblue

I really don't get this. If the PS5 and series x was the only way to game and you were stuck with that for 7 years then I could see the complaints. But it's not.

You could get a PS5 digital for £370 in 2020. These machines are a low cost option for the mass market that sell tens of millions in units. What exactly could you put in a machine built for £370??? These machines punch well above there weight considering the price and when they came out.

Fortunately we have a choice. If you want great graphics you can build a PC and upgrade it constantly when new tech comes out.

FStubbs

So who is making a console with a Nvidia GPU to beat it?

Top Bottom