• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So What is Sony Doing For The PlayStation 6?

To say that today has been an interesting day would be an understatement. While Microsoft's vision seem to be a lot more clear now, the question is what does it mean for the competition? Will the PlayStation 6 also follow the ARM way for the CPUs? Will AI also be involved similarly to the Xbox Next Gen console in 2028? Will they continue to go full digital, offer some sort of a choice or just have both? What kind of specs can we expect?

What do you guys want out of the PlayStation 6? To be honest, based of what I've seen today the next generation sounds a lot more interesting to me thanks to the new CPU Architecture (ARM) and heavy AI involvement. I've also told people that AI will be the next big revolutionary leap for games themselves and consoles in some shape or form and it seems that is slowly but surely coming to fruition. While the jump from PS3 to PS4 was quite good, the jump from PS4 to PS5 wasn't as much (granted we haven't seen any big first party titles yet like Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica). Regardless, my point is that I believe the next generation of consoles will be a far more entertaining and interesting leap than the last 2 generations and you know what, I think its about time.

While we are on the subject can Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping break into Jim Ryan's office already please and upload some secret Sony documents for us? I would love for this drama to continue for the foreseeable future, I haven't been this entertained on a forum for years!

Here are the speculated specs btw -

Next-gen Xbox leaked specifications

CPU: ARM64 or AMD Zen 6 x86 (Chiplet-style design)GPU:
Custom AMD GPU or AMD Navi 5
NPU: Machine learning silicon
Features: Next-gen DirectX Ray Tracing, Dynamic Global Illumination, ML Super Resolution, Micropolygon Rendering Optimization, Extensibility Model for Faster Iteration and Innovation
Microsoft’s next console will feature either an ARM CPU, or an advanced AMD Zen 6 CPU with a chiplet-style design. The GPU will also be either a custom solution developed by
Microsoft and AMD or licensing the Navi 5 name. It’s likely that Microsoft would use an off-the-shelf Navi 5 GPU if the company chooses to go with ARM over x86.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
They're going to stick to AMD and make a gaming-focused device with no bullshit targetting full raytracing or even path-tracing at either native 4K or reconstructed 8K, and launch it with some critical darlings in the form of a Housemarque game, a Team Asobi platformer, an Insomniac title, a beloved remake and maybe even some racer from Firesprite.

Business as usual for them.

Last edited:

Del_X

I don't think 2028 is really that set-in-stone. Aren't these plans a couple years old already?

Gen5 NVMe and ML cores for physics/AI/upscaling is already here.

Hire Spencer

hmm-laugh.gif

Well Xbox is going with a trash can design so Sony will probably do a dumpster design for superiority.
The trash can design is for Mid-gen Xbox Series X Refresh, not the Next Gen Xbox. We do not have a design for that yet, you are confusing the two.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Im just expecting a more polished hardware, 4k/60 as standard with full Ray Tracing. Im expecting it will a solid console through and through.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Hopefully they are not resting on their laurels given the recent state of their competition, though it sort of seems like that is what they are up to.

A.Romero

IMO they will continue with the same strategy that has worked for them so far: The best tech possible for the pricing point they are after (this probably includes better RT, 4K and fast storage) and focusing on delivering content with their 1st party studios and 3rd party alliances (money hatting).

I don't think they will risk anything else given the state of the competition.

I also don't think they will go for 8K unless it is upscaled in the sense the 360 was.

Perrott

Gold Member
What I want from Sony is more first party Japanese games, I don’t give a fuck how powerful the console is if all they gonna make is cinematic western games. Japanese titles is what got me to Playstation systems in the first place.
What difference does it make to you if the Japanese games are first-party or not? You're still getting Miyazaki, Ueda or Toyama games regardless of their status relative to the console manufacturer.

If you care even a little about fidelity and Japanese games are a must for you, then there is no question on whether or not you should get a PlayStation console, as they are the home of AAA Japanese games by default.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think they’ll stick with x86 and Cerny is going hard on cache a la the 3D AMD chips. They might put in some bespoke hardware to enhance AI upscaling and ray tracing a la tensor cores.

They're going to stick to AMD and make a gaming-focused device with no bullshit targetting full raytracing or even path-tracing at either native 4K or reconstructed 8K, and launch it with some critical darlings in the form of a Housemarque game, a Team Asobi platformer, an Insomniac title, a beloved remake and maybe even some racer from Firesprite.

Business as usual for them.
As always frame rate and resolution targets are relative. Native 4K at what graphics level?

Perrott

Gold Member
I think they’ll stick with x86 and Cerny is going hard on cache a la the 3D AMD chips. They might put in some bespoke hardware to enhance AI upscaling and ray tracing a la tensor cores.

As always frame rate and resolution targets are relative. Native 4K at what graphics level?
I don't know, PS6 levels I guess. We're still over five years away from the next-gen launch, so we can only imagine the graphical fidelity that Gen10 consoles are going to deliver.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What difference does it make to you if the Japanese games are first-party or not? You're still getting Miyazaki, Ueda or Toyama games regardless of their status relative to the console manufacturer.

If you care even a little about fidelity and Japanese games are a must for you, then there is no question on whether or not you should get a PlayStation console, as they are the home of AAA Japanese games by default.
I used to be so fucking excited for Sony first party games but this gen is so fucking dull, it worst than Marvel taking over movie industry. If it wasn’t for 3rd party games I have no fucking reason to keep my PS5.

Ueda or Toyama games
giphy.gif

Loxus

Doesn't make sense talking about specs right now. Maybe 2026 the earliest, where we can get a better idea based on AMD hardware at that time.

Imo, they would still with AMD for both CPU and GPU though. AMD tech keeps getting better and better over the years.

Hardware features we can discuss though.
For me, some things I'd like to see,
- Full Raytracing / Path Tracing,
- Heavy AI influence (upscaling, in-game AI, physics, etc.)
- Nanite or similar on all game engines.
- Nanite but for pixels (if possible)
- Storage/RAM hybrid solution.

Last edited:
I just wanna see really good ray tracing tech that is easy for devs and engines to implement and therefore making it super mainstream. iPhone has HW ray tracing now even.

I just want studios to start implementing RT lighting into their engines is because I want games to come out faster and be easier to produce. Fully PathTraced lighting engines for most games might really be feasible by PS6. I hope the lay the groundwork for this in PS5 Pro. Spider-Man 2 is a huge positive step in this direction with RT lighting in every mode.

Paulxo87

They're going to double down on the architecture of the ps5, namely the ssd/compression/decompression shit. The Whole premise where you are able to literally stream assets in as fast as you see them(reyes type rendering) is not going to go away. By the time ps6 comes out maybe game engines will finally be completely designed around this.

Oh and AI upscaling will be massive. I think Sony will have some custom input/an A.I chip.

Raonak

Banned
It's gonna be called PlayStation 6 (drop the numbering makes no sense)

Cerny and AMD will work together to design a beast of a console that is within an affordable price range.
Will be fully backward compatible with PS4, PS5.
Sony first party makes a suite of launch games (a mixture of cross-gen and exclusives)
Will probably include whatever enhancements to hardware/software/services they need.
New controller with new features.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
First of all, no one but Sony and possibly AMD knows.

Second, Microsoft’s plan for gaming (beyond buy content so their GamePass gamble pays off) is no clearer today than it was 2 days ago.

yurinka

• AMD GPU+CPU (same gen as the Xbox)
  • High improvement in raytracing
  • High improvement in real time global illumination
  • High improvement in SSD speed
  • Cerny's AI powered better than DLSS resolution and framerate upscaling up to 8K 240fps/Hz tvs
  • Splittable DualSense now can produce smells, is designed for VR and to be attached to phones or tablets
  • Hardware designed with PSVR3 in mind
  • Single diskless SKU
  • Full PS1+PS2+PS3+PS4+PS5+PSP+Vita+Minis+PSVR+PSVR2 BC including original digital and physical disks without needing to buy them again
  • Optional disk drive unit that accepts PS1-PS5 disks + UMD reader + memory card reader to read PS1+PS2+PS3+PS4+PS5+PSP+Vita
  • Many PS1/PS2/PSP/Vita games added to the PSN store
  • Most recent wifi and bluetooth specs
  • Buy a game once in PSN and play it crossbuy on PC, console, mobile, tv locally or (if you pay PS+ Premium) via cloud gaming
  • PSN store on Windows and mobile
  • Next gen PS cloud gaming on PS, PC, phones, tablets, tvs, etc.
  • No 'power of the cloud' fantasy bullshit

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Because Bandai Namco and the like are not cool enough to come up with games like Gravity Rush and Astro Bot Rescue Mission. :messenger_dizzy:
The Astro-Bot studio is still around at Sony, currently working on what seems to be a bigger Astro-Bot game.

The Gravity Rush people have gone independent, currently working on action/horror game Slitterhead, slated for next year or so.

Very little has changed.
As I said, Toyama is working on Slitterhead and we're due to an update on that project either at TGS, TGA or early next year, depending on their marketing strategy.

Regarding Ueda, he teased a 2023 reveal for his new project in partnership with Epic Games Publishing, so we're now looking at TGA for that.

The games are still coming, hell, just the other day we saw a Patapon spiritual successor get funded on Kickstarter.

Ozzie666

Honestly, I don't think Sony goes all digital next generation. That is a big bold move, they will let someone else do it first. I imagine they will have some sort of physical drive available, either included or at a cost. Especially if MS were to go all digital, I could see Sony using physical games options as a PR selling point.

0neAnd0nly

TLoU remake remaster remaster

TLoU 2 Remaster

Bloodborne Remaster

Goodbye, Volcano High 2 as a launch title to bring the dozens of fans to the next console, but it will also be available for ps5 because #crossgen

$100 price increase for PSN, but the first month of the price increase comes with tenge following 2 free games: the original TLoU remaster (not the upcoming Remaster Remake Remaster), and Goodbye, Volcano High #1 - as they try to prove the value of the price increase

Since Xbox will own Nintendo and SEGA, Sony will announce a new “CoD like” exclusivity agreement with EA for the surging Battlefield franchise. This one will be about the war between feminist (what you play as) and men (the wrong people). The PS exclusive DLC is a special mission where the boss is actually J.K. Rowling.

TLoU 3 announcement.

Rumors will circulate about Killzone and SOCOM again, but Jim Ryan will still be boss, so nothing cool like that will actually happen - but that’s ok, because #F2P games will be their new bread and butter!

The end.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
The Astro-Bot studio is still around at Sony, currently working on what seems to be a bigger Astro-Bot game.
Yes, I know, but there's arguably no Japanese third party making the same type of games as SIE Team Asobi, so it's perfectly reasonable to want there to be more of them (and also XDEV Japan collaborations) in this generation and the next.

Added the leaked Next Gen Xbox specs -

CPU: ARM64 or AMD Zen 6 x86 (Chiplet-style design)GPU:
Custom AMD GPU or AMD Navi 5
NPU: Machine learning silicon
Features: Next-gen DirectX Ray Tracing, Dynamic Global Illumination, ML Super Resolution, Micropolygon Rendering Optimization, Extensibility Model for Faster Iteration and Innovation
Microsoft’s next console will feature either an ARM CPU, or an advanced AMD Zen 6 CPU with a chiplet-style design. The GPU will also be either a custom solution developed by
Microsoft and AMD or licensing the Navi 5 name. It’s likely that Microsoft would use an off-the-shelf Navi 5 GPU if the company chooses to go with ARM over x86.

Top Bottom