• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Zen 5 CPUs Reportedly Made On TSMC’s 3nm Process In Q2, Mass Production In Q3

tusharngf

AMD-EPYC-Turing-Zen-5-CPUs-MI300-GPU-AI-Revenue-Arm-PC-Competition-728x424.png

A report by Chinese technology outlet, UDN, suggests that AMD's Zen 5 CPUs will be entering TSMC fabs in Q2 followed by mass production in Q3 2024.

AMD & TSMC Prepping Up Production Facilities For Next-Gen Zen 5 CPUs Based on 4nm & 3nm Nodes, Volume Production Reportedly In Q3 2024​

The Zen 5 CPU architecture is going to be a big deal for AMD in 2024 as it will power multiple lines of CPU families including Granite Ridge "Ryzen Desktop", Strix Point "Ryzen Mobile" & Turin "EPYC Server". All of these CPU families will play a major role and it looks like these chips are entering the TSMC fabs for production next quarter followed by volume production in Q3 2024, as reported by UDN.
The outlet also specifically points out the AMD Zen 5 "Nirvana" CPU core which is the standard Zen 5 architecture design while the "Prometheus" Zen 5C cores will aim the dense-compute segment in client and server chips. Interestingly, the Zen 5 "Nirvana" CCD is mentioned to be produced on the TSMC 3nm process node however we know from previous reports that Zen 5 will be using the 4nm node while Zen 5C will be made using the 3nm process.

It might be possible that UDN has confused the Zen 5C "Prometheus" core with Zen 5 "Nirvana". It was just last month when it was rumored that AMD's Zen 5 "Granite Ridge" CPUs had already entered the mass production stage though the company hasn't revealed anything about its next-gen desktop CPU plans at major events such as CES 2024. The only upcoming event that we can think of for an unveil would be Computex 2024 which will be held in June so that's still four months to go.

"
As AMD is actively planning to launch new product lines, TSMC will also begin preparations for mass production of AMD's new products this year. The legal person pointed out that among the AMD Zen 5 architecture platform, the most critical core computing chip is manufactured by TSMC using the 3nm process. In addition, the HPC platform MI300 series has been put into mass production using TSMC’s 4nm and 5nm processes. The order momentum continues unabated, and TSMC’s advanced process order momentum from Advanced Micro Devices this year is very strong.

Industry analysis shows that the mass production of the 3nm process will take a relatively long time. It is estimated that AMD's new 3nm process Zen 5 architecture platform will enter the wafer mass production stage around the second quarter. By then, the production capacity is expected to increase month by month.

via UDN"
Source: https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-5-cpus-reportedly-made-on-tsmc-3nm-process-q2-mass-production-q3-2024/

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The Zen 5 CPU architecture is going to be a big deal for AMD in 2024 as it will power multiple lines of CPU families including Granite Ridge "Ryzen Desktop", Strix Point "Ryzen Mobile" & Turin "EPYC Server".

Maybe I misunderstood that part of the Article?
The problem is the mobile chip is always behind, they release 1 flagship Zen 5 cpu then all the rest are zen 4 zen 2 chips rebranded with a new name

Loxus

The problem is the mobile chip is always behind, they release 1 flagship Zen 5 cpu then all the rest are zen 4 zen 2 chips rebranded with a new name
The article also says Zen5 will power desktop, mobile and sever in 2024.

Also, the next Xbox isn't releasing in 2024.
A 2026 release can use Zen5, 2028 Zen6.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

Even for 2025 they can jse Zen 5
But it depends if AMD has a real Zen 5 cpu or a rebranded Zen 4

S0ULZB0URNE

If it even happens.
At this rate I doubt anything more than a cloud box and portable is coming.

Slimboy Fat

Isn't 4 and 3nm rather different with the former being derivative of 5nm? I was under the impression porting architectures between nodes was not so straightforward or economical.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Isn't 4 and 3nm rather different with the former being derivative of 5nm? I was under the impression porting architectures between nodes was not so straightforward or economical.
4nm is just slightly improved 5nm, they named it 4nm to try and make it sound better than it actually is.
3nm is a decent step forward, hence why I have zero interest in a 4nm Zen 5, when we already have a 4nm Zen 4, the gains will be minimal.

XesqueVara

4nm is just slightly improved 5nm, they named it 4nm to try and make it sound better than it actually is.
3nm is a decent step forward, hence why I have zero interest in a 4nm Zen 5, when we already have a 4nm Zen 4, the gains will be minimal.
Zen 5's biggest change isn't node dependent, It's a new Core like Zen 3 was.

Likely powering nextbox
I hope not. Put an ARM Neoverse V3 in the next Xbox instead. Go Tegra Thor ARM Neoverse V3 with an Nvidia Blackwell GPU.

This doing whatever AMD does has not done Xbox any good. In the end it makes the Xbox a less popular Playstation because Sony uses the same parts but is a more popular brand.

Zen 6 is due in 2026. Possible Zen 6 console is doable but it may not be ideal. Series X has an RDNA2 GPU which launched in November 2020.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I hope not. Put an ARM Neoverse V3 in the next Xbox instead. Go Tegra Thor ARM Neoverse V3 with an Nvidia Blackwell GPU.

This doing whatever AMD does has not done Xbox any good. In the end it makes the Xbox a less popular Playstation because Sony uses the same parts but is a more popular brand.
I too would like nvidia back in the console game it would elevate the consoles 2x IMHO however Nvidia really didn’t want to give Sony nor Microsoft any breaks in cost / customization where as AMD did and signed long term contracts.

winjer

Gold Member
Can we revise the IHS tho?

I just wish that Intel and AMD would sell a version of their CPUS without the HIS.
Yes, there is a risk that it could break, if the user is not careful. But that is a risk, that enthusiasts would gladly take, to get better temperatures and OC.

simpatico

I just wish that Intel and AMD would sell a version of their CPUS without the HIS.
Yes, there is a risk that it could break, if the user is not careful. But that is a risk, that enthusiasts would gladly take, to get better temperatures and OC.
I'd just be happy to pay an extra couple bucks for a copper IHS, maybe make it a little thinner. I think there's a middle ground between the chonk of aluminum they use now and going completely de lidded.

Sanepar

Still waiting for a decent upgrade of 2 digits in perf for 4k from my 12700k. Probably will need to wait 2 more years.

Top Bottom