• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Upcoming 'Turin' Zen 5 CPUs will support 4TB of RAM at 6000 MT/s

Draugoth

Gold Member
bTRRqwcw9WrxTUwckpaPCm-970-80.jpg.webp

AMD's upcoming Zen 5 Epyc CPUs, codenamed Turin, have previously been confirmed to occupy the same SP5 socket as their Zen 4 predecessors while having 192 cores— but now, a leaked motherboard spec listing from renowned leaker @momomo_us on X / Twitter, has revealed yet more details. Since these CPUs were previously slated for a 2024 release, this spec leak could point towards an upcoming official announcement. As ever with leaks, take the news with a pinch of salt until an official announcement is made.

The leaked motherboard spec listing describes a Socket SP5 board that supports DDR5 speeds of up to 6000 MT/s with 4 TB of RAM, but only with a Turin CPU inserted. Without Turin, it seems that board's limit is 4800 MT/s— or as low as 3600 MT/s, which is characteristic with Zen 4's RAM limitations at 4 DIMMs.

The motherboard is also listed as having a maximum CPU TDP of 400 Watts. Zen 5 Epyc CPUs are supposed to support up to 500 Watts, and have even been rumored to go as high as 600 Watts. This is either an error of the listing or a legitimate compatibility issue with the motherboard, though 400 Watts would be in character with high-end Zen 4 SP5 motherboards.

Source

4TB of RAM? I can't even fathom jumping from 64GB to that. Amazing. Unfortunately I had a really bad time with my 7950x3D (not because of the asymmetric cores but because of my chips burning up to the SoC voltage bug) so I'm kind of hesitant to go AMD again.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
4TB of RAM? I can't even fathom jumping from 64GB to that. Amazing. Unfortunately I had a really bad time with my 7950x3D (not because of the asymmetric cores but because of my chips burning up to the SoC voltage bug) so I'm kind of hesitant to go AMD again.
Ok? Were you considering upgrading from a 7950X3D to a 192-core server with 4 TB of RAM?

That's for epyc CPUs so basically for big companies like data centers. Zen 4 epic had 12 channel memory as well with a lot of bandwidth but you can get a prosumer thread ripper with 4 or 8 channel memory.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have no need for 4TB of RAM.
It will make no difference at all in my computer usage.
…but why do I want it? I just want to open task manager and see alllllllll dat RAM. Just imagine all the activities I could use it for. Mmmmmmm.

Those are servers chips

Ok? Were you considering upgrading from a 7950X3D to a 192-core server with 4 TB of RAM?

That's for epyc CPUs so basically for big companies like data centers. Zen 4 epic had 12 channel memory as well with a lot of bandwidth but you can get a prosumer thread ripper with 4 or 8 channel memory.
I'm aware it's server chips. I'm more excited for the fact that they got their memory controller to a point where it can do that capacity at 6000 MT/s. I would assume that means surely for a consumer chip, the IMC can handle something more sane like 128GB at say 9000 MT/s for the Infinity Fabric synchronization.

Xyphie

Zen5 will have the same IO die as Zen4 had, so I wouldn't expect it to improve in terms of RAM capacity and speed as the IMC is seperate.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
My comment…

IsxC9SR.jpg
i2mDkU0.jpg
xOGI9pd.jpg

“Chi non salta b…” ahem..

I meant, it is a cool chip design. What AMD has been doing in the enterprise capitalising on Ryzen is quite astounding. From Threadripper to EPYC… what a jump.

Btw, if you have not read Chip Wars, some people did raise this book up a few times here, please do btw.

Last edited:
I have no need for 4TB of RAM.
It will make no difference at all in my computer usage.
…but why do I want it? I just want to open task manager and see alllllllll dat RAM. Just imagine all the activities I could use it for. Mmmmmmm.
Should be good for keeping between 10/15 chrome tabs these days (y) 😂

Bry0

My comment…

IsxC9SR.jpg
i2mDkU0.jpg
xOGI9pd.jpg

“Chi non salta b…” ahem..

I meant, it is a cool chip design. What AMD has been doing in the enterprise capitalising on Ryzen is quite astounding. From Threadripper to EPYC… what a jump.

Btw, if you have not read Chip Wars, some people did raise this book up a few times here, please do btw.

Just ordered a copy, looks like a book that’d be right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation.

Polelock

What board are you using? I went with Asrock Taichi Carrara, I was never an Asrock fan but this has been the most stable board I've ever had. Temps are amazing.

What board are you using? I went with Asrock Taichi Carrara, I was never an Asrock fan but this has been the most stable board I've ever had. Temps are amazing.
Asus B650E-F. It had all the features I wanted like PCIE 5.0 for future proofing, I like the onboard components, the rear IO ports, etc.
Unfortunately, it's fried my memory controller not once, not twice, but three times. The first time there were literal scorch marks underneath the CPU on the contact pads and in the motherboard socket. Second and third times I was more aware of what to look out for and minimized damage. I have no idea why this is happening but I am able to swap out my parts to my old Intel board, CPU and RAM in the same box and everything works just fine. It's the shitty SoC problem somehow still happening.

I can smell something burning. I need to see this in action and not a controlled environment to see how well it'll run. 4TB of RAM is just crazy to think of tbh.

Next box will have Zen 5
I hope to God not. My hope is they Switch to Nvidia and use the upcoming Tegra Thor for their next gen console which according to rumors could be a next gen cheaper console like the Series S (S2?) but in handheld form and a dock only Series X successor (X2?) that's more powerful.

So an Nvidia Tegra Thor based SoC with an Arm Neoverse V3 CPU and a Blackwell GPU, the console scales down to 15-20W for Series S2 and scales up to 200W+ for Series X2 (Series X draws 225W already).

Top Bottom