• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Zen 5 CPUs Reportedly Made On TSMC’s 3nm Process In Q2, Mass Production In Q3

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Problem for Microsoft is they need to develop in-house technologies like Sony are doing for a DLSS alternative. Relying on AMD to advance off the self stuff is a disaster waiting to happen. They are so far behind Nvidia and IM hearing really good things about PSSR.
What makes you think AMD is not doing its own AI upscaling now that they will have the hardware for it?

Solidus_T

Currently running a 5900X and I don't know whether I should just max out my AM4 socket for gaming with a 5800X3D or wait for the 9000 series. With this coming later this year, I could get a whole new Mobo, RAM, and CPU and open up a new path to upgrade my computer

YCoCg

What makes you think AMD is not doing its own AI upscaling now that they will have the hardware for it?
They are, they mentioned weeks ago that they're working on an AI powered version of FSR not long before they also revealed FSR3.1 which seems like a big improvement image stability wise over FSR2.3.

Moses85

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

this thing will be in the Switch 2?

Amaze GIF

SolidQ

AMD to introduce AI-based upscaling, potentially matching DLSS​

Not Introduced yet.

PSSR will be PS5 only.
Yep for Pro. Anyway i can't get answers. Some guys don't want to say for now. What i get answer it's tied to consoles(PS5/Xbox)

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Look at their history. Their current Technologies released are years behind Nvidia. The tech used in XBOX are basically holy outdated. Microsoft is relying on AMD to advance tools and features but there isn't a real incentive for AMD to do anything.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Look at their history. Their current Technologies released are years behind Nvidia. The tech used in XBOX are basically holy outdated. Microsoft is relying on AMD to advance tools and features but there isn't a real incentive for AMD to do anything.
The incentive is their PC video cards to give a DLSS equivalent.

They use off the shelf architectures, but the designs are semi-custom. You won't find a PS5/XSX APU on the PC.
The semi-custom term is technically accurate but there isn't much "custom" about them. And yes you do actually AMD has released the exact CPUs on PC for both the PS5 and Xbox Series. Digital Foundry covered this awhile back.

I too would like nvidia back in the console game it would elevate the consoles 2x IMHO however Nvidia really didn’t want to give Sony nor Microsoft any breaks in cost / customization where as AMD did and signed long term contracts.
Nvidia worked on the OG Xbox (2001) and PS3 they then stopped doing consoles as you described but returned in 2017 to do the Nintendo Switch. The Switch 2 is also confirmed Nvidia. But yes a pure home console would be great the Xbox might go handheld (Series S2) and it might have a powerful home only console version (Series X2) would be great if they go Nvidia.

YCoCg

Nvidia worked on the OG Xbox (2001) and PS3 they then stopped doing consoles as you described but returned in 2017 to do the Nintendo Switch. The Switch 2 is also confirmed Nvidia. But yes a pure home console would be great the Xbox might go handheld (Series S2) and it might have a powerful home only console version (Series X2) would be great if they go Nvidia.
Nvidia screwed over both Microsoft and Sony though (and TBF with Nintendo they just rehashed the Tegra from the Shield) so it'd have to be a pretty damn good deal to get them to sign.

Nvidia screwed over both Microsoft and Sony though (and TBF with Nintendo they just rehashed the Tegra from the Shield) so it'd have to be a pretty damn good deal to get them to sign.
Yes that's the thought but for Microsoft times have changed also Nvidia is a long time and current Microsoft partner, Microsoft's with Nvidia all the time. Also the Switch 2s chip is custom unlike the Switch 1. Honestly an off the shelf Tegra Thor would be a monster for consoles even without it being custom but the automotive optimizations would make it wasteful so going the Nintendo route for the Switch 2 is the best move.

Microsoft needs to differentiate itself and if they are making the next console a handheld ARM and Nvidia are great for this hence Tegra Thor. If not try Qualcomm, Samsung, ARM itself. Hell Microsoft is a chip maker now they can make their chip if they wanted (time tables are looking rough for a 2026 release though.).

FireFly

The semi-custom term is technically accurate but there isn't much "custom" about them. And yes you do actually AMD has released the exact CPUs on PC for both the PS5 and Xbox Series. Digital Foundry covered this awhile back.
The PS5 is rumoured to use the front end of RDNA 1, with possible improvements to geometry processing and integration with the cache coherency engine + RDNA 2 CUs. That's combined with a Zen 2 mobile processor with a specially cut down FPU. All over a 256-bit GDDR6 bus, which is not used on laptop CPUs.

The XSX has more of a "standard" RDNA 2 GPU, however it has 14 Dual CUs per shader engine compared with 10 on the PS5 and RDNA 2 PC parts. That's again combined with a Zen 2 mobile CPU but running on a 320-bit bus, which is not seen on any RDNA 2 PC parts. Also note that there is no Infinity Cache unlike the RDNA 2 PC parts.

On the PC, you can use the XSX and PS5 APUs on custom OEM motherboards, but the GPU is disabled, so that makes it pretty pointless. There are no equivalent "working" APUs in the desktop space.

Edit: Ah, I guess you are talking about the CPU-side only, which is pretty much the same.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Also the Switch 2s chip is custom unlike the Switch 1
Says… who? The person saying that the PS5 semi-custom SoC is not really “much” custom at all while they expect this to be a full custom chip? Alright…

Everyone expected that for Switch 1 and then it made sense why Nintendo was happy with nVIDIA: they got good software tools and they did not care if the chip was old and not customised for them much (they got it downclocked to heck and back and disabled a few CPU cores to save power though).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Edit: Ah, I guess you are talking about the CPU-side only, which is pretty much the same.
I think we look at the SoC, but FPU wise we are talking about a big redesign (quite smart one too) that they did for Sony first and then reused so the PC APUs are not a proof that these SoC’s were not much “custom” IMHO.

Tams

That's the flagship for mobile
The problem is in previous year they make that flagship APU that is available months if not a year after the reveal and only found in few 2000+ laptops
Look at this mess

4m7YJj9.png

You see that third digit? It's almost like it represents the CPU architecture gen or something...

Says… who? The person saying that the PS5 semi-custom SoC is not really “much” custom at all while they expect this to be a full custom chip? Alright…

Everyone expected that for Switch 1 and then it made sense why Nintendo was happy with nVIDIA: they got good software tools and they did not care if the chip was old and not customised for them much (they got it downclocked to heck and back and disabled a few CPU cores to save power though).
Says Nvidia actually because they leaked it themselves by accident in the Linux leak. You don't seem to be familiar with this but I'll break it down for you the Switch 1 Tegra SoC was meant for powerful Tablets i.e it was by default very good at gaming. In the modern era Tegra is heavily aimed at the automotive and AI markets as Nvidia has exited the phone and laptop market. Making a Nintendo Switch 2 off of a car SoC would work sure but a lot of that hardware could be wasted.

Nvidia has made a custom version of Tegra Orin (ARM Hercules and Nvidia Ampere GPU) that's focused more on FP32 performance (what people here know as Teraflops) rather than convolutional Neural Networks and Machine Vision processing. The Switch 2s SoC will retain AI hardware for use in stuff like DLSS but it won't be as focused on literally powering self driving compared to a typical Orin SoC was.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Says Nvidia actually because they leaked it themselves by accident in the Linux leak. You don't seem to be familiar with this but I'll break it down for you
Why do you need to be condescending?

the Switch 1 Tegra SoC was meant for powerful Tablets i.e it was by default very good at gaming. In the modern era Tegra is heavily aimed at the automotive and AI markets as Nvidia has exited the phone and laptop market. Making a Nintendo Switch 2 off of a car SoC would work sure but a lot of that hardware could be wasted.

Nvidia has made a custom version of Tegra Orin (ARM Hercules and Nvidia Ampere GPU) that's focused more on FP32 performance (what people here know as Teraflops) rather than convolutional Neural Networks and Machine Vision processing. The Switch 2s SoC will retain AI hardware for use in stuff like DLSS but it won't be as focused on literally powering self driving compared to a typical Orin SoC was.
You will likely see nVIDIA doing something else with this chipset and very likely this is what they aimed to do and Nintendo is jumping on it. You will be right if you can see major changes from a Shield 2 or something and what Nintendo has and Switch 2 is not just a cut down version with no other changes compared to the car SoC.

Why do you need to be condescending?

You will likely see nVIDIA doing something else with this chipset and very likely this is what they aimed to do and Nintendo is jumping on it. You will be right if you can see major changes from a Shield 2 or something and what Nintendo has and Switch 2 is not just a cut down version with no other changes compared to the car SoC.
I agree it would be wasteful for Nvidia to not do anything else with it. A follow up to the shield sounds reasonable I just don't know Nvidia is interested in making more Shields right now considering where the money is really coming from these days, we'll see.

Top Bottom