• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Pro to Be Powered by Custom Eight Core Zen 2 CPU, 60 CUs RDNA 3 Hybrid at 2500-2800Mhz – Rumor

Mr.Phoenix

Do you have an idea why no game can do 120fps with ray tracing even at 720p?
No game?
You don’t watch df or nx gamer do you there is no way you don’t know rt isn’t just a gpu cost but a cpu one as well cause of the bvh structure
Never said RT does not have a CPU cost. Just pointing out that if your target is 1440-2160p@60fps or 1080p-1440p@80-120fps, then you do not need a much more powerful CPU to do that. Now this is a different matter if you are trying to push past 120fps. Which no home console is going to try and do.

And try and understand something here. We would all love to have a 16-core zen 5 CPU and a 4090 in our PS5pro all for under $600. And saying we are not going to get that i not the same thing as defending what we do get. Above all else, these speculation threads are about being practical. Talking about what we are more likely to get and what can be done to improve it within certain parameters.

That's why we are here saying things like, PS5pro, would most likely be Zen 2, and fix the two things they changed to make it small enough to fit in the OG PS5. Which would beat the very least increasing its cache from 8MB back to 32MB and increasing the clock from 3.6Ghz bac to 4.5Ghz. That change alone is likely to yield over a 30%+ CPU improvement.

Last edited:
Still don't believe we will see a pro. Just because I don't think it's worth the expense to Sony, when the Ps5 still hasn't been pushed and a pro will likely not sell any where near the numbers of the Ps5. If Microsoft was doing a pro then yes I think Sony would too but in this case it's a lot of money for Sony to invest when it's nit needed.
Granted I would get pro consoles but I like to have the latest, just like i'll get a switch 2 when it comes out but don't really use the switch that much. I know there are a good number of people like me who will do the same.
I think the rumors probably come from internal testing that Sony has been carrying out incase they decide to release a pro but that research would also benefit the PS 6 so it's not wasted.

Mr.Phoenix

Custom for consoles just means it's an underclocked CPU :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Custom for consoles actually mean a lot more than that.
  • changing mem controller from lpddr4/DDR4 to GDDR6
  • cutting l3 cache from 32MB to 8MB
  • reducing PCIE lanes from 24 to 8
  • dropping clock usually by around 33%
  • .....etc. And that is just talking about the CPU part of it.
Still don't believe we will see a pro. Just because I don't think it's worth the expense to Sony, when the Ps5 still hasn't been pushed and a pro will likely not sell any where near the numbers of the Ps5. If Microsoft was doing a pro then yes I think Sony would too but in this case it's a lot of money for Sony to invest when it's nit needed.
Granted I would get pro consoles but I like to have the latest, just like i'll get a switch 2 when it comes out but don't really use the switch that much. I know there are a good number of people like me who will do the same.
I think the rumors probably come from internal testing that Sony has been carrying out incase they decide to release a pro but that research would also benefit the PS 6 so it's not wasted.
What `expense` do you think it is to Sony? You do remember that Sony is first and foremost, a hardware company right? An Electronics company?

Last edited:

Mowcno

Still don't believe we will see a pro. Just because I don't think it's worth the expense to Sony, when the Ps5 still hasn't been pushed and a pro will likely not sell any where near the numbers of the Ps5. If Microsoft was doing a pro then yes I think Sony would too but in this case it's a lot of money for Sony to invest when it's nit needed. Granted I would get pro consoles but I like to have the latest, just like i'll get a switch 2 when it comes out but don't really use the switch that much. I know there are a good number of people like me who will do the same. I think the rumors probably come from internal testing that Sony has been carrying out incase they decide to release a pro but that research would also benefit the PS 6 so it's not wasted.
Honestly I feel you're going to have more success with a pro console if no one else is doing it. If only one manufacturer is doing a pro-console then it's sure to do better as if anyone wants a premium high performance console there's is the only choice. I expect if Xbox One X didn't exist PS4 Pro would have sold more and vice-versa.

So MS apparently not creating a pro console will only benefit the PS5 Pro and make it more worth the investment. They will have that, all-be-it quite niche, market cornered.

No game?

Never said RT does not have a CPU cost. Just pointing out that if your target is 1440-2160p@60fps or 1080p-1440p@80-120fps, then you do not need a much more powerful CPU to do that. Now this is a different matter if you are trying to push past 120fps. Which no home console is going to try and do.

And try and understand something here. We would all love to have a 16-core zen 5 CPU and a 4090 in our PS5pro. And saying we are not going to get that i not the same thing as defending what we do get. Above all else, these speculaton threads is about being practical. Talking on what we are more likely to get and what can be done to improve it within certain parameters.

That's why we are here saying things lie, PS5pro, would most likely be zen 2, and fix the two things they changed to make it small enough to fit in the OG PS5. Which would beat the very least increasing its cache from 8MB back to 32MB and increasing the clock from 3.6Ghz bac to 4.5Ghz. That change alone is likely to yield over a 30%+ CPU improvement.
Hey I don't know about increasing CPU cache that much as it would cost tons of APU size, and it would increase the price a lot comparatively. They could add another tempest engine CU as it would add them a lot of SIMD processing power for not much APU area (because of no cache).

But I think it's more likely they simply overclock the CPU to 4ghz or more. A 4.5ghz CPU on its own would yield over an easy 30% improvement whereas more cache would not directly be translated into more performance specifically on console where CPU tasks are often very optimized.

shamoomoo

No game?

And try and understand something here. We would all love to have a 16-core zen 5 CPU and a 4090 in our PS5pro. And saying we are not going to get that i not the same thing as defending what we do get. Above all else, these speculation threads is about being practical. Talking about what we are more likely to get and what can be done to improve it within certain parameters.

That's why we are here saying things like, PS5pro, would most likely be zen 2, and fix the two things they changed to make it small enough to fit in the OG PS5. Which would beat the very least increasing its cache from 8MB back to 32MB and increasing the clock from 3.6Ghz bac to 4.5Ghz. That change alone is likely to yield over a 30%+ CPU improvement.
Or go with 16 MBs of L2$ like the 2700x instead of 32MBs like 3700x and possibly up the CPU frequency.

Mr.Phoenix

Hey I don't know about increasing CPU cache that much as it would cost tons of APU size, and it would increase the price a lot comparatively. They could add another tempest engine CU as it would add them a lot of SIMD processing power for not much APU area (because of no cache).

But I think it's more likely they simply overclock the CPU to 4ghz or more. A 4.5ghz CPU on its own would yield over an easy 30% improvement whereas more cache would not directly be translated into more performance specifically on console where CPU tasks are often very optimized.
Its like a balancing act. No point in adding more computing (be that CPU or GPU), if you lack the bandwidth to keep them fed. The best way to get a proper bandwidth boost is to have more cache. Having more cache doesn't just mean you have more system bandwidth, but it means you have more overall system performance because now everything is running better.

Sony will obviously know this, and I would like to think that the cost of adding 2 more 16gb GDDR6 chips, on die cost of adding two more GDDR6 controllers and getting the system to 20GB on a 320bit bus as a way to increase bandwidth, probably outweighs the cost of just getting faster RAM, keeping it at 16GB and 256bit, and instead increasing the cache on the chip. Even though that would mean a slightly bigger chip.
Or go with 16 MBs of L2$ like the 2700x instead of 32MBs like 3700x and possibly up the CPU frequency.
To be honest, when I say upgrade cache, I personally want them to go with 96MB of unified cache shared between the CPU and GPU. :messenger_beaming:

A man can dream, right?

We got people talking about wanting Zen 4/5 and whatnot, whereas 96MB of infinity cache shared between CPU, 30% higher CPU clock, and GPU and RT cores that are actually capable of BVH acceleration is what I dream about lol. Even before wanting more TFs and whatever.

I mean,if the PS5 as it is now, has those things I want, it would already be performing probably around 40-50% better than the current PS5 in games using RT and like 20% better in games without it.

Last edited:
I assume the reason they didn't go with Zen 4 was a die space issue and/or power consumption. Can't imagine they would be increasing the cache.

The focus on RT would be weird because I don't see developers bothering for the most part.

Mowcno

I assume the reason they didn't go with Zen 4 was a die space issue and/or power consumption. Can't imagine they would be increasing the cache.

The focus on RT would be weird because I don't see developers bothering for the most part.
Most modern AAA games have raytracing. Hogwarts, Resident Evil, Spiderman, Starfield, Elden Ring, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Dead Space Remake, Doom, Star Wars Jedi Survivor....

It'll only become more common even in lower budget titles as time goes by.

Christ if you want Zen 4 just build a PC. Consoles will never match a gaming PC for long and they aren't meant to. Different audiences.

RGT was shouting through the roofs for the past year that the PS5 Pro was canned because “iT dIdNt mAke sEnSe”.

As soon as Tom Henderson leaked the project name and specs then all of a sudden RGT comes out the woodworks….

“tRucKlOad oF sAlT, iT couLd bE zEn 2”

MT231290

Neo Member
i just hope we get 60 fps on ps5 pro in games running at 30 fps on ps5 and the ps5 pro cpu isn't only getting a clockspeed boost over ps5.

Custom for consoles actually mean a lot more than that.
  • changing mem controller from lpddr4/DDR4 to GDDR6
  • cutting l3 cache from 32MB to 8MB
  • reducing PCIE lanes from 24 to 8
  • dropping clock usually by around 33%
  • .....etc. And that is just talking about the CPU part of it.

What `expense` do you think it is to Sony? You do remember that Sony is first and foremost, a hardware company right? An Electronics company?
I think setting up a production line for a second console is the expense.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Should be zen 5

NO WAY!!! LOL!! That's too expensive.

I truly hope they dont do 399 consoles anymore .... in 2028 ???? Enough with crappie hardware from the getgo ... people pay thousands every few years for new phones... time for some new perspective in the console business ... IF they do 399 I hope they have from day 01 a pro model 599/699 with good hardware.. shit I would easily pay 800 for premium hardware as long as I get to use it for 08 years and forget about midgen upgrades... Imho is money well spent ..

The bolded is NOT a good idea. Pro models only make sense mid-way through the console lifecycle. You have the benefit of time and node shrinks to take advantage of. Plus selling a $700 console at launch IS STUPID! You guys are talking as if most of the world are rich people.

ShakenG

I'm getting the impression it will be slightly improved hardware with the focus on ray-tracing? If that's the case, it's a no from me..

Dawg..
If it happens, Sony aren't going to waste people's time with a small Raytracing upgrade. It wont sell.

Last edited:
I don't think so.
The 7900M chip is Navi31, which is just a cut down version of the 7900XTX chip. Which most likely is 2 WGP/4CUs disabled per Shader Engine.

That's 304 mm² on 5nm for the GPU chiplet part alone. Ain't no way Sony putting that in the PS5 Pro.
I hear the pro is currently rumored for 4nm is 3nm impossible since it would be optimal

I can understand why PS4 Pro didn't use Zen Cores. Either it wasn't ready on time or it would have complicated chip design.

I don't think backwards compatibility would have been an issue. PS4 games work great on PS5.

PS5 Pro using Zen3, Zen4 or even Zen5 shouldn't be a backwards compatibility issue. What CPU Sony would use in the PS5 Pro, I guess would come down to their price/performance target.
Considering this thing is gonna be 600-700 (and did less at that) if like to imagine a cpu upgrade can fit in that budget

Most of the time the game runs close to 1440p in the framerate mode. As usual the game resolution must drop when there is plenty of alpha like fire and smoke. It means most ot the time the game must be CPU limited indeed.
Also raytracing has a big cpu cost. I can see a scenario where if they stick to zen 2 but upgrade everything else we could run a lot more raytracing but it would still be stuck to 30fps cause of the cpu. Zen 5 and 3d cache is right there they need to use it

Zen 2 is still in production. The Ryzen 7320U and 7520U launched about a year ago are still using Zen 2. The steam deck is still being manufactured with Zen 2 and obviously the PS5/XSX chips are still being made with Zen 2. If they are still using Zen 2 they wouldn't be doing it unless it was cheaper.
I really would question if using zen 5 is that much more expensive. This console isn’t gonna be cheap either a 600-700 disc less budget should allow a cpu upgrade

The bolded is NOT a good idea. Pro models only make sense mid-way through the console lifecycle. You have the benefit of time and node shrinks to take advantage of. Plus selling a $700 console at launch IS STUPID! You guys are talking as if most of the world are rich people.
Zen 5 is too expensive if the console is sticking to 499 but the assumption is this will be 599 to as much as 699 and did less at that you don’t think zen 5 can’t fit in that budget?

No game?

And try and understand something here. We would all love to have a 16-core zen 5 CPU and a 4090 in our PS5pro all for under $600. And saying we are not going to get that i not the same thing as defending what we do get. Above all else, these speculation threads are about being practical. Talking about what we are more likely to get and what can be done to improve it within certain parameters.

That's why we are here saying things like, PS5pro, would most likely be Zen 2, and fix the two things they changed to make it small enough to fit in the OG PS5. Which would beat the very least increasing its cache from 8MB back to 32MB and increasing the clock from 3.6Ghz bac to 4.5Ghz. That change alone is likely to yield over a 30%+ CPU improvement.
You don’t have to exxagerate I’m asking for low mid range tech from the modern day not high end tech.

Its like a balancing act. No point in adding more computing (be that CPU or GPU), if you lack the bandwidth to keep them fed. The best way to get a proper bandwidth boost is to have more cache. Having more cache doesn't just mean you have more system bandwidth, but it means you have more overall system performance because now everything is running better.

Sony will obviously know this, and I would like to think that the cost of adding 2 more 16gb GDDR6 chips, on die cost of adding two more GDDR6 controllers and getting the system to 20GB on a 320bit bus as a way to increase bandwidth, probably outweighs the cost of just getting faster RAM, keeping it at 16GB and 256bit, and instead increasing the cache on the chip. Even though that would mean a slightly bigger chip.

To be honest, when I say upgrade cache, I personally want them to go with 96MB of unified cache shared between the CPU and GPU. :messenger_beaming:

A man can dream, right?

We got people talking about wanting Zen 4/5 and whatnot, whereas 96MB of infinity cache shared between CPU, 30% higher CPU clock, and GPU and RT cores that are actually capable of BVH acceleration is what I dream about lol. Even before wanting more TFs and whatever.

I mean,if the PS5 as it is now, has those things I want, it would already be performing probably around 40-50% better than the current PS5 in games using RT and like 20% better in games without it.
I want a cpu upgrade cause even at launch it was my biggest issue with the ps5. It’s really bad now they didn’t originally use zen 3 instead of 2

Very disaappointing if true the jump to zen 4 or even 5 wouldn’t just allow a better cpu but allow support for 3d cache which couldn’t be more perfect for a console

Christ if you want Zen 4 just build a PC. Consoles will never match a gaming PC for long and they aren't meant to. Different audiences.
This isn’t gonna be a cheap console that’s why we expect more than zen 2 I also really doubt zen 4 or even zen 5 will be that much more expensive to use in 2024

Mr.Phoenix

I hear the pro is currently rumored for 4nm is 3nm impossible since it would be optimal
Please

You do realize this is a console right? It's not going to be on a process that is not even active yet much less mature.
Considering this thing is gonna be 600-700 (and did less at that) if like to imagine a cpu upgrade can fit in that budget
Use

It wouldn't take lot for you to at the very least inform yourself... instead of just repeating the same annoying thing over and over and over again.
Also raytracing has a big cpu cost. I can see a scenario where if they stick to zen 2 but upgrade everything else we could run a lot more raytracing but it would still be stuck to 30fps cause of the cpu. Zen 5 and 3d cache is right there they need to use it
The

Now who's exaggerating? What you are saying is simply impossible. And you are being deliberately ignorant/difficult.

The base platform, even with a Pro, IS THE PS5. You are just refusing to get this. DEVs will be built for the PS5 FIRST. And then the added power of the Pro smooths things over.

So if a game runs at 30fps with RT on the base PS5 at a DRS of 1440p-2160p. Having a Pro, with a 30% faster CPU, a 2x raster GPU, a 3-4x faster RT hardware, 30%+ more system bandwidth, is MORE THAN ENOUGH to take that same PS5 game running on the base PS5, and double the framerate to 60fps while staying at the upper limit of its DRS resolution envelope.

But more importantly, with the way hardware scales, that same hardware that can get you 2160/60fps/RT...etc, would be able to get you 120fps if you drop the resolution down to 1080p. You are literally using the same resources. This is why I say its almost like you have no idea what you are talking about. No offense.
I really would question if using zen 5 is that much more expensive. This console isn’t gonna be cheap either a 600-700 disc less budget should allow a cpu upgrade
Quote+

These things just don't work that way.It's not like Sony are stubbornly trying to make a bad chip If they do not upgrade from Zen 2,it would be because they (1), felt they didn't need it and or (2) felt its cost was not worth it and or (3) felt that money was better off being spent somewhere else in the design of the system.

Eg, Using Zen 4 instead of Zen 2 may mean their chip costs $10 more. But adding 64MB of cache to the chip could mean the chip costs the same $10 more, but then they end up with a better performant chip than the one with Zen 4 but still only 8MB of cache.

Zen 5 is too expensive if the console is sticking to 499 but the assumption is this will be 599 to as much as 699 and did less at that you don’t think zen 5 can’t fit in that budget?
Button

If they don't put it in? Then yes, it didn't fit. And I cannot stress this enough, its not about what fits, or what would be cool, its what is needed, and the cheapest, most reliable way to get to that point.

Secondly, you can sit there and be drawing assumptions to what their budgetary targets are.How do you know their intention is not to sell the PS5pro at a significant margin and sizeable profit on each unit? Or you Really think that Apple and Samsung $1000+ phones doesn't have a budget that could cover a damn charger in the box?

I've been waiting exactly for this. Maybe I'll start setting some money aside to finally get a PS5Pro. I knew one was coming and the general exclusives drought that had me interested was pretty strong the first few years of the PS5's life, but now there's finally enough to warrant a purchase. Now would be a great time to jump in to play some PS5 game and replay some old PS4 games(Ghosts of Tsushima) in better quality. Hope it comes out sooner than later.

kikonawa

MS allready has a pro.The series X.

mckmas8808

Probably, but $699 is WAAAAY too much for any console. Those are suicide prices.

MS allready has a pro.The series X.
Yeah a pro that can't even compete with the normal non PS5 pro.
sgMDcuy.gif

Bernardougf

Gold Member

I see a LOT of not rich people with brand new iphones in their hands ... lets not pretend that people only spend their cash wisely.

Consoles are restrict by budget .. and thats it ... and I personally think is time for this diminutive culture to change ... but if it has to be this way.. at least give me the option to buy a premium pro console day one and ride this bitch until the end of the generation.

Mr.Phoenix

I feel even stronger today that not only is the PS5 Pro coming next holiday but 12-18 months after that Xbox starts the next generation early shooting for at least a 2 year head start on PS6
Probably be the single biggest mistake they can make. And that's saying a lot being that MS makes a lot of mistakes.

If this gen has taught us (and hopefully MS)anything, is that whenever the next-gen consoles come along, the current-gen consoles would still coast for as much as 3 years. If you guys thin it was bad this gen, next gen it will be worse.

MS releasing the Xbox Series Second series of the series (damn their horrible naming) 18 months after the PS5pro, would mean their most powerful console would be at best, 2x as powerful as the PS5pro and what... 4x? as Powerful as the PS5 OG. Every multiplat game released for it will also be on the PS5. Sony can coast along for another two years, and release something that is 2x more powerful than the most powerful XSS/Xv2 :messenger_pouting: and that would just be bad for Xbox. People would look at that new Xbox as if it were a `pro` console.

It will be the WiiU all over again.

Last edited:
I feel even stronger today that not only is the PS5 Pro coming next holiday but 12-18 months after that Xbox starts the next generation early shooting for at least a 2 year head start on PS6
They are going to do exactly what they did with X1X countering PS4 Pro. Except they will call it "next-gen" this time. So we can expect the same amount of free shilling from the usual channels selling this as better in every way: True RDNAX, new X feature, new Y feature etc.

But that strategy will also fail like last time.

mckmas8808

I see a LOT of not rich people with brand new iphones in their hands ... lets not pretend that people only spend their cash wisely.

Consoles are restrict by budget .. and thats it ... and I personally think is time for this diminutive culture to change ... but if it has to be this way.. at least give me the option to buy a premium pro console day one and ride this bitch until the end of the generation.

Most of those new iPhones are on monthly plans though. Not out of pocket $1,000 cash buys.

mckmas8808

Probably be the single biggest mistake they can make. And that's saying a lot being that MS makes a lot of mistakes.

If this gen has taught us (and hopefully MS)anything, is that whenever the next-gen consoles come along, the current-gen consoles would still coast for as much as 3 years. If you guys thin it was bad this gen, next gen it will be worse.

MS releasing the Xbox Series Second series of the series (damn their horrible naming) 18 months after the PS5pro, would mean their most powerful console would be at best, 2x as powerful as the PS5pro and what... 4x? as Powerful as the PS5 OG. Every multiplat game released for it will also be on the PS5. Sony can coast along for another two years, and release something that is 2x more powerful than the most powerful XSS/Xv2 :messenger_pouting: and that would just be bad for Xbox. People would look at that new Xbox as if it were a `pro` console.

It will be the WiiU all over again.

Plus the new features for next-gen aren't even being made yet. Unreal 5 is just now being used in our current-gen consoles. Unreal 6 is still probably 5 years away.

StereoVsn

They are going to do exactly what they did with X1X countering PS4 Pro. Except they will call it "next-gen" this time. So we can expect the same amount of free shilling from the usual channels selling this as better in every way: True RDNAX, new X feature, new Y feature etc.

But that strategy will also fail like last time.
The issue is the 3rd parties will be busily supporting PS5 and Switch 2 since that’s where the install base is and people actually buy games in these consoles. They may do some enhanced version (if MS pays) but thats going to be a bare minimum.

So MS would have to carry the whole thing on the 1st party backing … and that hasn’t been very successful so far.

Mind you, I want to see high end Xbox games since there will be Day 1 parity with PC.

I just think MS will be asking for trouble since in a year or two PS6 will come out and hop over the specs once again.

ergem

Probably, but $699 is WAAAAY too much for any console. Those are suicide prices.
Does the price matter when it’s a mid-gen upgrade?

The role of the base model is to reach as many PSN-spenders as possible, hence the compromised specs. The Pro doesn’t have that duty.

Last edited:

T-Cake

What about anything to with display technologies? So we had PS4 Pro which enabled 4K/HDR10 so you had to buy a new TV. This week, I've only just bought such a TV! I'm loathe to upgrade it again for a long time. I know 8K is on the horizon somewhere but are there other things in the works? Will all games start to use Dolby Vision or something like that?

Xtib81

What about anything to with display technologies? So we had PS4 Pro which enabled 4K/HDR10 so you had to buy a new TV. This week, I've only just bought such a TV! I'm loathe to upgrade it again for a long time. I know 8K is on the horizon somewhere but are there other things in the works? Will all games start to use Dolby Vision or something like that?

I think you're good to go for a while, except for brightness and 120hz, manufacturers don't innovate that much. Even 8k won't take off before a few more years.

Top Bottom