• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Web browsing for Revolution confirmed by NOA phone rep!

yilmazz

ok, here some stuff from a German site about DS Opera and the Rev:

We of Consolewars.de had the possibility with a Nintendo approach source of developer about the Nintendo DS Browser and about the Nintendo revolution to speak.
We received interesting information and to want you these not to withhold.
For reasons of the Diskretion the source will keep anonymous, but it is insured you that she is very reliable.

To the Nintendo DS Browser:

- the announced Web Browser of the DS carries the name "Nintendo DS Browser" and by Nintendo themselves is driven out, be based however on Opera and their development.

- there is the possibility between a "Small mode" and the "DS mode". In the DS mode one gets an overview on the Touchscreen and the recording head in the upper screen of the DS. On the lower display a virtual keyboard is to be found, with which one can enter the texts.

To the Nintendo revolution:

- the CONTROLLER of the Nintendo revolution functions also on the Gamecube, at least to that of the development kit.

- the development kit revolution is very similar to a Gamecube and has similar entrances and exits and is an indication for the fact that the final hardware will be not completely as strong as expected.

- unreal the engine 3 is possible for revolution on that, hangs however of it starting from in what respect it is down-scaled.

- Nintendo could likewise offer a Opera Browser for the down-loadable plays.

- the CONTROLLER for the revolution is finished and functioned also, however it has a serial haven. This applies however only to the developer version of the CONTROLLER.

- the revolution CONTROLLER functioned actually like a 3D-Maus, there characteristic gestures of mouse possible is and above all for sword movements goes well from the hand.

- Nintendo uses one "low power" G5-Prozessor (PPC 970), that currentsaving acted.

- is the revolution more thickly than a Powerbook of Apple and also deeper, but the revolution system is not so broad, but hardly larger than the CD Slot of the Powerbooks.

- DVD Fime cannot be played according to standard. One needs a Dongle around the DVD Movie function to activate. The drive assembly can play DVDs, necessarily however an additional Dongle. Thus Nintendo does not pay fees for the MPEG 2-Lizenz.

- Nintendo the DVD function left so conceived around the customer the choice whether it DVDs to see to want and also around costs save.

Babblefish should be enough. -_-

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
link please

and if true:

the CONTROLLER of the Nintendo revolution functions also on the Gamecube

wtf!?

the development kit revolution is very similar to a Gamecube...the final hardware will be not completely as strong as expected.

uhoh

unreal the engine 3 is possible for revolution...it is down-scaled.

uhoh

Nintendo uses one "low power" G5-Prozessor (PPC 970)

Tech geeks, explain what this means please

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
yilmazz said:
the revolution CONTROLLER functioned actually like a 3D-Maus, there characteristic gestures of mouse possible is and above all for sword movements goes well from the hand.

I have excited that the Rev will go well from the hand.

yilmazz

Link

Too lazy to translate.. but here's a bit

- the rev controller included with the dev kit also works with the gamecube (wtf idd.. zelda with revolution controlls possible with the gamecube and revmote??)

- unreal 3 engine possible, but it has to be down-scaled

- 3D controller movements like sword swinging etc. all go very natural

- "low Power" G5-Prozessor (PPC 970) is used and has very low power consumption

xexex

Banned
xsarien said:
Who the hell knows? Microsoft's been trying to convince people for years, but no one's ever bitten.

http://www.webtv.com/pc/

I somehow doubt Nintendo will have any better luck.

Revolution, and even Gamecube, is massively more powerful than the first generation or two of WebTV of the 1990s. even Dreamcast was. I know because I've used WebTV extensively and Dreamcast browsers extensively.

Nintendo, if it wanted to, could have a very capable web browser for Revolution. Sony could have a very capable browser for PS3. both could easily surpass what the current PSP browser(s) can do.

it's a matter of taking advantage of the hardware/software.

WebTV was very limited with 2-4 MB of RAM and a slow processor.

xsarien

daedsiluap
xexex said:
Revolution, and even Gamecube, is massively more powerful than the first generation or two of WebTV of the 1990s. even Dreamcast was. Nintendo, if it wanted to, could have a very capable web browser for Revolution. Sony could have a very capable browser for PS3. both could easily surpass what the current PSP browser(s) can do.

it's a matter of taking advantage of the hardware/software.

WebTV was very limited with 2-4 MB of RAM and a slow processor.

It's a matter of no one but maybe your grandmother wanting to surf the web on a TV.

MrSardonic

yilmazz said:
- unreal 3 engine possible, but it has to be down-scaled

- "low Power" G5-Prozessor (PPC 970) is used and has very low power consumption

The U3 news is pretty disappointing if it turns out to be true for final hardware.

And can someone explain wtf the processor stuff means

all this BS info is getting irritating, and some of you should be ashamed to post such nonsense, can't you wait a few more months?

"confirmed by NOA phone rep!"

Nipples n Tits!

does it take rocket science to say that the Rev will have a browser a day after the DS was found to have one in the works?

We have too many fan sites making up shit now WTF!

: Shit I have to speak with Resetti because my finger slipped and hit the power off button on my DS damn you nintendo now I need a DS lite :(

xexex

Banned
anyone expecting Unreal Engine 3 to run on hardware that's roughly 3x more powerful than Gamecube without very significant cutbacks is being unrealistic

MrSardonic

xexex said:
hardware that's roughly 3x more powerful than Gamecube...

that's confirmed is it...

sigh6pf.jpg

Kon Tiki

Banned
kaizoku said:
Portable browsing I understand.

But in the living room with no keyboard/mouse setup? Bit dodgy.
Well actually, Opera supports mouse gestures. Mouse gesture would work very well with the Revmote. Typing in urls, on the other hand. :lol

yilmazz

ok, here's a translation of the rest.. only marginal better than babblefished. :p

- The dev kit of the Rev is very similar to the dev kit of the cube and has similar inputs and outputs. So it seems like the rev won’t be as powerful as expected.

- Nintendo may use the opera tech also for game downloads on the rev.

- The controller is completed and it’s working, the version included with the dev kit has a serial port.

- Rev is thicker than a powerbook and also deeper, but not as wide (not much wider than the cd slot of a powerbook)

- It’s not possible to watch DVDs with the standard rev, you got to buy a dongle first to active DVD playback. Nintendo did this to avoid to pay the mpeg 2 license for every rev and leaves the decision to the customer.

xexex said:
anyone expecting Unreal Engine 3 to run on hardware that's roughly 3x more powerful than Gamecube without very significant cutbacks is being unrealistic

we live in days of plenty where 3x of something is just not enough :)

MrSardonic

yilmazz said:
- the rev controller included with the dev kit also works with the gamecube

- The dev kit of the Rev is very similar to the dev kit of the cube and has similar inputs and outputs. So it seems like the rev won’t be as powerful as expected.

These two claims remind me of suggestions that the Revmote was originally designed as a GC peripheral but delayed when it was seen how poor GC sales were. Perhaps Revolution really is just GC+ with added VC and this controller

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
MrSardonic said:
These two claims remind me of suggestions that the Revmote was originally designed as a GC peripheral but delayed when it was seen how poor GC sales were. Perhaps Revolution really is just GC+ with added VC and this controller

Yeah, and the DS is just an N64 with a touchscreen.

Rev has no HDD, HD graphics liabilities etc so doesn't need to be anywhere near as big as 360 and PS3
It will give us 360 type graphics at 480 like people have said previously

Sunski

yilmazz said:
ok, here's a translation of the rest.. only marginal better than babblefished. :p

That does seem to be what they are saying, yet who in blue hell is still expecting the Revolution to be a graphical powerhouse? Are we really going to have to sit through troll after boring troll when the first screenshots come out? Are we really going to have to sit and listen to countless boring controller v graphics arguments? Are we really going to be comparing screens from 360/PS3 and the not so great graphically Revolution in amongst fanboy bickering? Surely we must be past all that.

yilmazz said:

- Nintendo may use the opera tech also for game downloads on the rev.

- The controller is completed and it’s working, the version included with the dev kit has a serial port.

- Rev is thicker than a powerbook and also deeper, but not as wide (not much wider than the cd slot of a powerbook)

- It’s not possible to watch DVDs with the standard rev, you got to buy a dongle first to active DVD playback. Nintendo did this to avoid to pay the mpeg 2 license for every rev and leaves the decision to the customer.

miss translation, what the said and meant was the devkits operate the same way, if you use a gcn dev kit then rev is a piece of cake for you. also the inputs in the devkits are the same . so what they are saying is that developers will find the rev easy to deal with.

Chittagong

Gold Member
xsarien said:
Who the hell knows? Microsoft's been trying to convince people for years, but no one's ever bitten.

http://www.webtv.com/pc/

I somehow doubt Nintendo will have any better luck.

They failed, in my opinion, mainly because of two things:

1. Broadband penetration
2. Low resolution of normal TV

Now, the difference with Revolution is that broadband penetration is way higher and the penetration of high definition TVs is starting to get better ... oh wait.

yilmazz

ThunderEmperor said:
miss translation, what the said and meant was the devkits operate the same way, if you use a gcn dev kit then rev is a piece of cake for you. also the inputs in the devkits are the same . so what they are saying is that developers will find the rev easy to deal with.

I just translated what the page states, wheter they got it wrong, I don't know. But they are not saying, what you are saying. -.-

Link is provided in a post above.

yilmazz said:
I just translated what the page states, wheter they got it wrong, I don't know. But they are not saying, what you are saying. -.-

Link is provided in a post above.

I meant link to the german website.

xexex

Banned
when I called NoA at 1-800 255 3700 I mentioned the Revolution browser and the DS browser. the first guy had not even heard of the announced, official DS browser much less the Revolution browser. the 2nd guy was much more knowledgeable and even pre-empted some of the things that he thought that I probably already knew about. he admitted that he did not know if/when the DS browser was coming out in the U.S. and said to look toward GDC and E3 for more announcements on Revolution.

Beezy

xexex said:
the 2nd guy was much more knowledgeable and even pre-empted some of the things that he thought that I probably already knew about.

He reads GAF. It was probably Gaybrush.

Top Bottom