• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Web browsing for Revolution confirmed by NOA phone rep!

jmoe316

According to Joystiq:

Today, Nintendo announced the inclusion of a web browser for its portable powerhouse, the DS. Naturally, if the DS is getting web surfing capability, wouldn't the Revolution also see some of that action? According to Nintendo Gal, who thought to phone NOA to get the official word. According to the voice on the other line, "Revolution owners will have the option to purchase that functionality."

It seems fitting, but no concrete details have yet to be announced. We are hesitant to call this a confirmation, as the information came from a phone operator and not a higher-up (Shiggy, Iwata, or Reggie). With GDC and E3 coming up, though, that all could soon change.

Sounds great to me!! Hopefully the purchase price won't be too high!

Amir0x

Banned
Purchase that functionality... does that mean purchase feature by feature, or purchase as part of a more comprehensive online functionality (ala LIVE 360)?

drumlord

Purchase the functionality, huh? Dreamcast shipped with it... But I'm guessing this is all just part of the deal with Opera. It'll be interesting to surf the web with the Revmote...

Ranger X

Wow. They can be sure i'm gonna PURCHASE it instead of moving my butt a couple of feet away to my computer with a free browser in it...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Portable browsing I understand.

But in the living room with no keyboard/mouse setup? Bit dodgy.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
kaizoku said:

revmote + voice recognition omg

NINTENDO INVENTS THE INTERNET

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I just called NOA's tipline and asked how Alfred Molina looks rendered on the Revolution. The voice on the other end said, "Fantastic."

Acosta

I have called Nintendo headquarters in Japan. I don´t know japanese but I can confirm that they told me was that your favorite game will be in Revoluion but much improved.

And, guys, what is so special about having a browser in a console without a keyboard?

Timen

browsing eh? that's cool
onizuka%20pr%E9.jpg

krypt0nian said:
Can someone explain why we have to buy a browser in this day and age?
Just wait until they microtransaction Bonzi Buddy-esque Nintendog themed mouse cursors for Revolution. They'll sell 10 million of them.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Gaijin To Ronin said:
And, guys, what is so special about having a browser in a console without a keyboard?

I think you just stumbled upon the Revmote's secret function. An expandable keyboard!

fortified_concept said:
Why would I want to surf on my TV?
Nintendo said you could hook it up to a PC monitor, right?

But then again, you already have a box you can hook up a PC monitor and connect to the internet.

Merlin

Banned
sp0rsk said:
HEY GUYS

YOURE SURFING THE WEB!

Don't be a smartarse. The Dreamcast browser was very handy. You could download some cool extras in Sonic Adventure and use web images for your tags in JSR. With a broadband connection and the GameCube's memory space, there's a lot of potential.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
Do you remember the patent where you can speak and the console transforms all that you say in letters?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wasnt the DS browser just in reference to a version of Opera that comes on a DS card? If so, this doesnt point to web surfing on Rev at all..... Its not like were talking about a browser built into the firmware.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I have a shuttle connected to my 127cm HDTV. Surfing on it is fantastic.
Surfing with the Revmote could be first class: who wouldn't like to navigate between pages as in Minority Report? But what about Revolution resolution?

fse

Nintendo wanted to have Netscape on the N64, never materialized though. Maybe RADnet in japan though.

BocoDragon

marc^o^ said:
I have a shuttle connected to my 127cm HDTV. Surfing on it is fantastic.
Surfing with the Revmote could be first class: who wouldn't like to navigate between pages as in Minority Report? But what about Revolution resolution?

Yeah, in SD resolution the text would have to be giant for it to be legible.

fse

Most likey the browser might just use Merlin (Opera's rendering core) to handle the UI or more possibly the Nintendo VC store.

BocoDragon

winston_pr said:
zero pitch kills your knuckles after about 2 minutes of typing with these things. Better project it on your soft belly. :D

That's a disturbing image my friend.

maxmars

winston_pr said:
zero pitch kills your knuckles after about 2 minutes of typing with these things. Better project it on your soft belly. :D

I also have a number of places where I'd want to project that beam. :D

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
kaizoku said:

Wait, hold on. *makes phone call*

Yup, confirmed by NOE rep "Paul" that you will browse using dual Revmotes to select letters from an on-screen keyboard. But Nintendo will provide the option to plug USB keyboards & mice into the Revolution...Nintendo brand only, $200.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Merlin said:
Don't be a smartarse. The Dreamcast browser was very handy. You could download some cool extras in Sonic Adventure and use web images for your tags in JSR. With a broadband connection and the GameCube's memory space, there's a lot of potential.

yeah but if you have to pay for it who the fuck cares.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
618cca55efd56d31a9cf620a0a4a4ba1.jpg

Revolution, here I come.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I remember stumbling across the Nintendogal blog a bit ago, and being somewhat surprised by the quality of it. I always wondered who Nintendogal was! Heh heh.

xexex

Banned
seriously, I want to browse the web on my Revolution using the Freehand controller. damn that would be cool. plus since Revolution has significantly more muscle than DS in terms of CPU and RAM, even though not as much as X360/PS3, the Revolution could be a great internet surfing platform. it might even be able to have Java, IRC, Flash, Instant Messenger, etc. what do you think? hey I hope the 1T-SRAM is 128 MB instead of 88 MB, that would help a lot.

Top Bottom