• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunted The Demon's Forge |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I thought it was common knowledge this was fantasy Gears. I was wondering why you guys were interested in this.

I've had Hunted on my Steam wishlist for a while, so I'm interested in the game, I just don't think I'm interested enough to buy it at launch. It'll have to get some good reviews and a few friends would have to buy it to get me to commit this soon. What I've seen in the stream looks alright, could be a fun game. A demo, that I could play cooperatively with a friend, would've gone pretty far to sell me on the game pre-release. I can wait, I have too many games to play as it is.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
thetrin said:
I thought it was common knowledge this was fantasy Gears. I was wondering why you guys were interested in this.

I think some might love Gears with Swords (if it plays as good as Gears of War and the co-op actually work).

But some were thinking of this as full WRPG title( with loots, upgrading,multiple characters role playing..ect) and it's clearly not like that, and I think they way the thread title got changed too.

Grisby

thetrin said:

Cause Gears is amaaaazing.

Also, thread title too long I suppose?

Placed an preorder. As long as this is half way decent in split it will be worth it.

Reviews goes up two days before release right? Time enough to bail if revealed to be putrid digital offal.

PuppetSlave said:
Placed an preorder. As long as this is half way decent in split it will be worth it.

Reviews goes up two days before release right? Time enough to bail if revealed to be putrid digital offal.

Uhh, this game comes out today. Unlocks in less than 12 hours on Steam and no reviews so far.

Crazetex

Ken said:
Preorder bonus at Amazon :
hunted-digitalpreorder-demonpack.jpg

Do we really need that bulge? Like, really? And the woman isn't wearing pants. I know that's common, but why don't women get to wear pants?

Ugh.

I'm torn. It looks like it's solid on the PS3 live stream, so I only expect it to be smoother and altogether better on PC, which is where I would be playing. My wife and I need a good co-op game.

Could get repetitive though. Lack of recent impressions worries as well. We'll see what come out tonight when the game opens up on Steam.

RobertM

Well, this game surely won't win over many hearts. Pretty piss poor introduction; questionable color pallet and the game gets dark to the point that you can barely see shit; combat doesn't have much depth to (no parry system) with tacked on magic abilities that don't do much to alleviate the boring combat; very linear environments and a guide spirit that shows you the way if you get lost (lol). This is not a loot whore game. You do find unique (purple) weapons, but everything degrades with use so eventually you will have to swap weapons , and the enemies don't drop loot or items very often. I do not want to marginalize the dumb fun one might experience playing this game with a buddy, as it stands though, the single player experience is kind of meh and the story doesn't do any favors to this game. I do like the idle chatter between the characters, must say that's probably what keeps me going.

Unlocks in two hours on Steam. I'm guessing ore impressions will start to trickle in later on tonight. Hopefully it's not too large a game since it didn't allow for pre-loading apparently.

RobertM said:
Well, this game surely won't win over many hearts. Pretty piss poor introduction; questionable color pallet and the game gets dark to the point that you can barely see shit; combat doesn't have much depth to (no parry system) with tacked on magic abilities that don't do much to alleviate the boring combat; very linear environments and a guide spirit that shows you the way if you get lost (lol). This is not a loot whore game. You do find unique (purple) weapons, but everything degrades with use so eventually you will have to swap weapons , and the enemies don't drop loot or items very often. I do not want to marginalize the dumb fun one might experience playing this game with a buddy, as it stands though, the single player experience is kind of meh and the story doesn't do any favors to this game. I do like the idle chatter between the characters, must say that's probably what keeps me going.
Yeah, but is the forge demon-y?

zoner said:
Game's unlocked now. Did they not sent out review copies?

Perhaps release day review embargoes and no demos is Bethesda's policy with new releases. They ran dark leading up to Brink's release date, they seem to be doing the same with Hunted.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
jaundicejuice said:
Perhaps release day review embargoes and no demos is Bethesda's policy with new releases. They ran dark leading up to Brink's release date, they seem to be doing the same with Hunted.
It's a bad practice that's certainly turned me off any Bethesda published games without reviews.

I don't need a score, but I need to know that it, y'know, works.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
Aaron said:
Splitscreen is the only reason I'm buying this. The make your own levels feature could be great, but from what I've seen it looks too simplistic.

it turns out you "swap" equipment on the fly, there is no "inventory management."

i never understood the concept of level creators, if it was for PC sure because of the level you can manipulate/mod things, but for a console, it seems like an afterthought......really? what was so hard about making pre-made battles/stages and create an exclusive "HORDE" mode? this is very similar to Dante Inferno's St Lucia trials.

i wonder if there's even a level up system? doesn't sound like it either....

we'll see once my pre-order arrives.

RobertM

Mr. B Natural said:
Yeah, but is the forge demon-y?
A bunch of skeletons and a bunch of enemies straight out of Lord of the Rings, I wouldn't call that demo-y but then again I'm not too far into the game.

There is no level system but you do earn experience.
Weapon switching is triggered by attack button of the particular weapon (you switch between crossbow and a sword/shield combination).
You can't upgrade spells until a certain chapter.
You can switch characters at purple rune stones which are few and far between.
You don't really give commands to AI; there are trigger points where you hold O and the AI performs an action--usually it's just lighting some object on fire which unlocks a secret passage.

I can guarantee the reviews will be in the 7/10 range.

Ken

jaundicejuice said:
At least with Brink reviews were out the night before the release date. With Hunted, it doesn't seem like anyone cares much for it.

Will install and play tomorrow morning and maybe offer impressions.

Mairu

Played through the prologue. Game seems mediocre at best, maybe a little more fun co-op. Probably will play a little more tomorrow

elfinke

Mairu said:
Played through the prologue. Game seems mediocre at best, maybe a little more fun co-op. Probably will play a little more tomorrow

Ken said:
At least with Brink reviews were out the night before the release date. With Hunted, it doesn't seem like anyone cares much for it.

Will install and play tomorrow morning and maybe offer impressions.

Please both continue to post impressions. For whatever damn reason, I hadn't heard of this game, or if I had, it slipped out of mind.

I love me a good single-system-on-the-couch co-op ARPG, so I'm interested to hear how this has panned out.

RobertM said:
A bunch of skeletons and a bunch of enemies straight out of Lord of the Rings, I wouldn't call that demo-y but then again I'm not too far into the game.

There is no level system but you do earn experience.

I can guarantee the reviews will be in the 7/10 range.

What do you mean by there is no leveling system? What do you earn the experience for?

Mairu

elfinke said:
Please both continue to post impressions. For whatever damn reason, I hadn't heard of this game, or if I had, it slipped out of mind.

I love me a good single-system-on-the-couch co-op ARPG, so I'm interested to hear how this has panned out.
I got the game for free through Bethesda's retail employee site, I do not recommend paying $60 for it. I don't think the game is going to do well and it will likely drop in price quickly. I'll still give the game a bit more time than just the prologue and hopefully find someone to try out co-op but I don't think it's good enough to buy at launch.

I don't really like the loot system... Stuff drops off mobs or is in areas and it just shows the stats of the item when you're on top of it next to the stats of your own items. There's no inventory or anything. At one point in the prologue you get a neat frost-axe but have to go into an area that's completely dark but there's a torch. I dropped the axe to pick up the torch but only because I had to, the frost axe was better, it was just impossible to see anything without the torch.

edit: The cutscenes are so bad looking on the PC version as well. I turned the graphics up to highest in the options before starting and going from gameplay to their cutscenes it's so terrible looking, they've got some awful encoding done that makes them look washed out and a little blurred.

dejan

How RPGs Were A 30-Year Detour: Matt Findley On Hunted: The Demon's Forge
Gamasutra: Approaching this genre what was your go-to in terms of the way you wanted to present the action or player interaction? Because it's sort of a new spot for you guys as a developer.

Matt Findley: Well, you know, we analyzed the long history of video games. I think these games always wanted to be action games at their heart. I think all those old turn-based games, it's just that's all the technology would allow.

The tech today, using Unreal Engine 3, which allows us to prototype really, really fast and spend more time to make the game than worrying about the technology, it allowed us to deliver on that action experience.

When you play a modern action game, whether it's set in World War II or outer space, they all have similar mechanics -- jumping into cover, ducking into over, and shooting. We thought that applied equally well to spellcasting and shooting a bow as it did to shooting a machine gun. It was really our primary goal in the beginning to just find all the ways we could...

Oh, wow ...

KuroNeeko

Upfront - I have no connections with the game, its developers, or anything like that.

When I first read that snippet from the Gamasutra article - I was ready to help you load more wood on the pyre but reading through the article I don't think what he's saying is all that bad.

I mean 25 years or so ago there was very little technology out there to support a real-time, fantasy RPG - and if you wanted to take a party of adventurers out on an adventure you were (are) pretty much stuck playing something turn-based. Fans of the genre didn't really care since most of them were into p&p rpgs already to begin with, but I don't disagree with the statement that (at least) some of those games really wanted to be action-rpgs but were shoe-horned into a turn-based system due to the lack of technology. Especially if he's talking about the RPGs that they've made like Bard's Tale.

Going so far as to say that all classic RPGs secretly wanted to be Gear's clones in a fantasy setting is a bit much but I don't have a problem with that part of the interview.

Aaron

KuroNeeko said:
I mean 25 years or so ago there was very little technology out there to support a real-time, fantasy RPG - and if you wanted to take a party of adventurers out on an adventure you were (are) pretty much stuck playing something turn-based. Fans of the genre didn't really care since most of them were into p&p rpgs already to begin with, but I don't disagree with the statement that (at least) some of those games really wanted to be action-rpgs but were shoe-horned into a turn-based system due to the lack of technology. Especially if he's talking about the RPGs that they've made like Bard's Tale.
Except this game is much, much closer to Heretic or Hexen, which are pretty old games that were multiplayer action in a fantasy setting. Ultima Underworld was far more RPG than this game is, and that was real-time as well.

It was a stupid comment.

I sometimes wonder, if this game sells well will it increase the chance of inXile making a Wasteland sequel? That would be the first inXile game I'd be interested in.

Mairu

Played a little bit more of the game and I think I'm enjoying it even less. I probably will hold off on playing much more unless I can find someone to try out co-op with. Game has some annoying bugs where it'll switch between showing controller prompts (if you have one plugged in, I assume) and keyboard prompts.

Game is way too dark, WAY too dark. There are parts where you really can't see shit. It doesn't help that it seems like they have scattered lamps randomly in places just because they obviously know the game has terrible lighting. I get that they want this gloomy feel to the game, but they went totally overboard on it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mairu52/screenshot/541769761860020684

I decided to just try to play as the melee dude instead of switching since I have no idea how common all the crystals are and whether it's better to just focus on upgrading one of your guys instead of both of them... I think this was a mistake. There's a ton of archers in most of the more open areas and it gets pretty annoying that it seems like ranged is just going to be better.

It's also really annoying that anything other than running and combat is a context sensitive button prompt. Every time there's a part to crouch through it's hit the A button to pass through. Every time there's a part to squeeze through it's hit the A button. Every time there's a narrow path to walkthrough it's hit the A button. I don't think the game was well thought out.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mairu52/screenshot/541769761860146996

Just to reiterate my earlier complaint about the graphics in game versus the cutscenes I took a screenshot of a tower that you're supposed to attack and the tower in the cutscene that follows. It's so bad D:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mairu52/screenshot/541769761860157912 in game
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mairu52/screenshot/541769761860159803 shitty cutscene

The graphics aren't even that great overall but once it gets to a cutscene you're treated to an overly compressed movie with terrible brightness. You can compare this screenshot to some of the other screenshots of the characters I uploaded and see the massive difference again.

The story also seems pretty poor so far. I feel really sorry for people who pay full price for this game.

note: didn't embed the images because they're huge (1920x1080)

tacotime77

Neo Member
I really hope this was good. I typically like everything Bethesda produces, but they allowed the ball to be dropped on Brink. Hopefully this game doesn't end in the same fate.

garath

I can't believe how little I've heard about this game. No reviews, no advertising (that I've seen), no "talk around town" at all.

Anyone have it and have been playing co-op? I have enough games already that this would be a budget title at best but I was really interested in it after some of the initial previews.

I was so close to buying this game but the complete and utter lack of information/reviews from websites really discourages me.

That and the guys that are already playing it on PC aren't exactly gushing about it.

I do believe I will pass on Hunted.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I was so close to buying this game but the complete and utter lack of information/reviews from websites really discourages me.

Same here.

All the silly pre-order packs also usually point to an iffy product. I will wait on reviews.

amrod

Ugh preordered off direct2drive hoping i could use key in steam ... You cant :(

4 hours left on download, hope it doesn't suck as bad as people are saying it does

Seventy5

I just picked up my PS3 copy and I'm waiting for the DayOnePatch to download. My friend at Gamestop said I was the only pickup so far, but a few guys have called to make sure their preorder came in. I don't think there is going to be too large an online community for this game, so anyone on PS3....please add me, I need some co-op partners. I'll post impressions after I get to play a bit.

edit: Ugh, fucking GameSpy.

Seventy5 said:
I just picked up my PS3 copy and I'm waiting for the DayOnePatch to download. My friend at Gamestop said I was the only pickup so far, but a few guys have called to make sure their preorder came in. I don't think there is going to be too large an online community for this game, so anyone on PS3....please add me, I need some co-op partners. I'll post impressions after I get to play a bit.

edit: Ugh, fucking GameSpy.
You have to be shitting me. It runs gamespy for co-op? Ugh.

Gearbox better keep that shit out of Borderlands 2. Gamespy is crap.

DaBuddaDa

This strange lack of reviews reeks functionally of when a movie isn't screened for critics. The result is never a good thing...

Seventy5

PatMcAtee said:
I thought this wasn't an RPG...
It's not really an RPG as far as I can tell so far. It's a dungeon crawling action game. It runs well enough on PS3, it seems like they kept the graphics scaled back a little bit to make sure of it. It's not ugly, but it's not amazing either. Gears of Swords is pretty accurate. It actually is kind of cool playing the cover shooter with a bow and arrow. I haven't gotten any magic yet, so I can't comment on that.

If anyone remembers (the fucking awesome) Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm from Dreamcast, it's really giving me that kind of vibe. The level design seems pretty good so far. I'm going to try some co-op soon and I'll post more after that. I'm enjoying it so far, but then again I enjoyed Draconus and Two Worlds 2, so YMMV.

steadfast

DaBuddaDa said:
This strange lack of reviews reeks functionally of when a movie isn't screened for critics. The result is never a good thing...

I'm guessing it's journalist's apathy. I don't think anyone is giving much thought to this one since it really looks like a budget title and has been marketed the same way as Evony and The First Templar.

Top Bottom