• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy: Relink | Review Thread

What average score do you think Granblue Fantasy: Relink will get on Metacritic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2f0027c5-73c5-430c-aa8a-a68ed01be283.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.png

Game Information

Game Title: Granblue Fantasy: Relink

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Jan 29, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jan 29, 2024)
  • PC (Jan 31, 2024)
Trailer:
Developers: Cygames

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 82 average - 75% Recommended

image.png

Metacritic - 80 average based on 54 Critic Reviews

image.png

Link to the OT

Written Reviews

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 95 / 100
Granblue Fantasy: Relink is a fantastic game with a compelling story, excellent graphics and sound presentation, and one of the most complex yet entertaining gameplay experiences in the world of video games.

But Why Tho? - Abdul Saad - 7 / 10
Granblue Fantasy: Relink offers a captivating albeit simple narrative, mesmerizing visuals, and a fun gameplay experience. If you’re a JRPG fan looking for a great new experience, then you’ll do no wrong with the game, but don’t expect anything out of the ordinary.

COGconnected - Stephan Adamus - 55 / 100
Quote not yet available

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 8 / 10
Fans of the mobile game will be thrilled with how this turned out, as it is one of the most polished action RPGs in recent memory.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 4 / 5
Whether you love the high-octane spectacle of Final Fantasy XVI or the character collection of Genshin Impact, Granblue Fantasy: Relink has a little something for you. It’s a smart blend of ideas, even if it’s a bit torn between console and mobile gaming philosophies. More importantly, though, it does all that without sacrificing the playful energy the RPG genre was built on.

Final Weapon - Noah Hunter - 3.5 / 5
Granblue Fantasy: Relink is an excellent first step into console RPGs for the series. The story doesn't quite live up to expectations with poor pacing and an overall lack of character development, but the second half features epic fights and a streamlined narrative. Additionally, the gameplay is a thrill to experiment with, and it is a blast to play with friends online. Combined with its jaw-dropping mosaic-like visuals and beautiful soundtrack, it's safe to say that the six-year wait has mostly paid off for Cygames & Granblue with a solid first entry into the world of RPGs.

GGRecon - Harry Boulton - 3 / 5
Granblue Fantasy: Relink was unfortunately a rather disappointing experience for me, which is a shame to say considering how excited I was for it all those years. It does offer excellent combat that achieves genuine variation between its vast cast of characters, and many spectacle-filled boss fights - but remains largely unengaging due to a bland narrative that barriers off much of its character development behind tedious text segments.

There is likely to be plenty of life found within its extensive post-game segments, as players can team up to take down countless missions across numerous forms, but that grind might not be for everyone in the long run, especially if you're playing solo.

GamingTrend - David Flynn - 85 / 100
Granblue Fantasy: Relink is yet another bold leap for the franchise and it lands gracefully. The combat is a ton of fun with a massive and unique roster of characters. The game could have introduced characters much better and given them more quiet moments, but the story is nice to watch play out, and it all leads into a massive post-game that will keep you playing for a long time.

GideonsGaming - Joseph Pugh - Not Yet
Granblue Fantasy Relink is the greatest game I don’t want to play. Its stellar combat, great AI, interesting world, and epic quests forge the experience to a sharp point, but the lack of any meaningful challenge severely dulls its edge.

Hey Poor Player - Shane Boyle - 5 / 5
Granblue Fantasy: Relink is a triumph and one of the most mechanically deep and rewarding action-RPGs in recent memory. It’s easy to pick up, yet difficult to master combat feels great in motion, and it’s all in service of a world and cast of characters that are more than worthy of your time and attention. Between the substantial single-player portion and the incredibly generous multiplayer offering, there’s a wealth of content on offer for those wanting to really invest and dig into the game’s many progression systems. If you’ve ever found yourself wondering what the result would be if Tails of Arise and Monster Hunter had a baby, Granblue Fantasy: Relink is the answer, and it’s glorious.

IGN Spain - Alejandro Morillas - Spanish - 9 / 10
Excellent on a technical level, courageous in its approach and exemplary in terms of gameplay, Granblue Fantasy: Relink becomes a fantastic benchmark of the genre on its own merits.

INVEN - Suhho Yoon - Korean - 8.5 / 10
A well-made title in the IP that offers interconnected gameplay that feels like playing a party even solo, various characters armed with unique moves. While the monotonous multiplayer can be a drawback, the synergy of fast action and intense JRPG storytelling is for both those familiar and unfamiliar with the franchise.

Infinite Start - Grant E. Gaines - 8 / 10
At the end of the day, I found that Granblue Fantasy: Relink captured the elements I love about this genre. There are several unique bosses, each with their own shenanigans, keeping things interesting. While I would appreciate changes to the build system, it doesn't detract from the overall engagement of the experience—especially for those who aim to overcome everything Granblue Fantasy: Relink has to offer.

Kakuchopurei - Xandria Morden - 70 / 100
Granblue Fantasy: Relink is a beautiful burst of fantasy anime colours with a good amount of substance to keep your action RPG tendencies sated. The wait for its release was a long one, but in gameplay, character selection, and music, it delivers to its fans and any action RPG fan looking for a Monster Hunter-like clone without the control "nuances". For first-time players of this franchise, Granblue Fantasy: Relink is a good start. It may not be Final Fantasy but damn I felt that every hour I spent playing was not wasted.

MonsterVine - Luis Joshua Gutierrez - 3.5 / 5
Granblue Fantasy: Relink does stumble when it comes to being newcomer-friendly, but it does make up for it as the story goes on. Although the combat can feel repetitive, the power moves and boss fights offer enough to spice things up.

Multiplayer First - Paulmichael Contreras - 9 / 10
I will admit, after spending some time with Granblue Fantasy: Relink across two different preview events, I wasn’t convinced Cygames had done much more than produce a by-the-numbers JRPG adaptation of their popular mobile and browser-centric franchise. But I suppose that’s the difference between being dropped into the middle of a game and starting from scratch.

There are a lot of fully fleshed-out characters and systems to get used to and master, over a hundred different weapons to level up and upgrade, plenty of quests to undertake, and as much lore as most fans might be willing to sift through. Yet the main campaign doesn’t overstay its welcome. Relink also has a beautiful, if slightly technically underwhelming, look to the world. In short, Granblue Fantasy: Relink is a great JRPG, and even if you’ve never played Granblue Fantasy before if you enjoy action JRPGs at all, you owe it to yourself to give this one a shot.

One More Game - Ricki Buzon - Buy
If there's one thing that can sum up our adoration for Granblue Fantasy: Relink, it's that Cygames has made the long wait absolutely worth it. The game feels like a product that was delivered with love and care for the franchise, highly evident in its stunningly gorgeous visuals and equally mesmerizing audio.

Combat is a highlight, offering fast-paced and slick battles that get the blood pumping, accented by visual effects that may be a bit too much at times. Still, there's a lot of fun to be had, and the gameplay loop feels addictive and rewarding.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100
Quote not yet available

Prima Games - Priscilla Wells - 8 / 10
Granblue Fantasy: Relink is undoubtedly a love letter to the series.

Push Square - Robert Ramsey - 8 / 10
Granblue Fantasy: Relink is one of the PS5's best action RPGs - but you need to know what you're getting into. The story campaign is excellent, but its relatively short length means that most of your time will be spent with the game's optional quests, which rarely reach the same heights. Still, whether you're playing alone or in co-op, there's a real thrill to Relink's combat system, which combines precise hacking and slashing with underlying RPG stats and mechanics. If you can embrace the grind, a fantastic character roster and some amazing boss battles await.

Siliconera - Kazuma Hashimoto - 7 / 10
Granblue Fantasy Relink is a game that wears its heart on its sleeve with its sincere narrative and engrossing combat.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8 / 10
Thanks to the depth of its battle system (the boss fights are pretty spectacular!) and you can build your characters, Granblue Fantasy: Relink is a pleasant surprise for action RPG lovers.

TechRaptor - Austin Suther - 9.5 / 10
Granblue Fantasy: Relink is an exceptional game that captures the essence of the series wonderfully. With tons of characters to play and a hearty endgame to dive into, Granblue Fantasy: Relink will have you coming back for more.

The Outerhaven Productions - Scott Adams - 4.5 / 5
Granblue Fantasy: Relink is a masterpiece and is an amazing entry point into the world of Granblue Fantasy. The gameplay is engaging, the art design is immaculate, the music is amazing, and there is much to do in the game. I just wished the online component had more going on.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 8 / 10
Granblue Fantasy: Relink is a fantastic anime adventure, and one that will delight fans of the series.

Video Reviews

Last edited:

Thabass

High 80's. Will depend on the server stability I think. The game seems like it will be very solid based on the demo I played.

Last edited:
This seems to be one fine anime game since a long time and fans were craving for it.We already know how awesome the combat is and the world is beautiful, this might get 80+ if the story pans out great. Already pre-ordered on based of what I've played in the demo.

Reactions: Isa
Regardless of score I will getting this game day one….already pre-ordered the deluxe edition.
It's so weird with this release in some parts of Europe. I only managed to pre-order the 'day one' edition because no one is stocking the deluxe around here and I checked like all European Amazon stores lol. I feel like Plaion (the ones doing the distribution in Europe for this title) are dropping the ball with this one.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's so weird with this release in some parts of Europe. I only managed to pre-order the 'day one' edition because no one is stocking the deluxe around here and I checked like all European Amazon stores lol. I feel like Plaion (the ones doing the distribution in Europe for this title) are dropping the ball with this one.
I have same issue when it comes to special edition for Xenoblade games.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I have never interacted with this franchise before. I voted 81-85 just based off the trailers and gameplay I have seen, but I could be wildly off base in either direction. I'm hoping it's at least an 81-85 though.

cormack12

Gold Member
High 80's. It's been so long people have been waiting, the demo was solid and the endgame and co-op will give it legs. OP builds will play nicely into reviewers favouring. Id go 87, maybe a tad lower at 86

• Thoughtful

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm really looking forward to this game, but I'm fully expecting mid-to-low 70s

FeralEcho

Finally tried the demo yesterday,played in japanese in quality mode,I added it to my list, I'm gonna get it this next month or march.

It looks amazing and plays pretty great.

I think it'll score in the low 80s

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I don't normally get this bold, but I'm feeling lucky. It'll score somewhere between 0 and 100. Write it down.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm guessing it will be 90.

But honestly, this sounds like wishful thinking of mine. Could end up on 80 at max and 70 at minimal.

Fabieter

I think high 60s low 70s.

Not to say I think the game is bad. I'v played the demo and preordered the game, I just don't think this is the type of game gaming journalists like.

It was a bad demo to a great game the same way forspoken was. Iam obviously not that far in but the first few hours were pretty amazing. I'll go with low to mid 80.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Is this game an story RPG or a form a group and go do missions style of RPG? I got the feeling from the demo it was the latter

llLeonhart

It was a bad demo to a great game the same way forspoken was. Iam obviously not that far in but the first few hours were pretty amazing. I'll go with low to mid 80.
I thought the demo was absolutely amazing, it was what pushed me over the edge to preorder.

BTW anyone know how the PS4 ver runs on PS5? Is there cross save? (just saw the convert option on the main menu)

Last edited:

Puscifer

I expect around 80, which is amazing for this sort of game.
What I'm guessing, especially since it looks like since they redid the actual combat gameplay from the ground up the edge from the platinum work is all gone now.

But I did give this video a watch and it looks much better when he breaks it down

jm89

So far with a dozen review in the low 80s

Last edited:

ssringo

The demo was good enough to tell me I'd enjoy the full game. Gonna need some PC specific reviews though since they went all in for the Playstation versions with the demo, preorder and early access. Here's hoping!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'll take 80-85%, that's pretty good for my Phantasy League picks. Also, looks like 32 of us here were right on the money with this one:messenger_beaming:(y)

Top Bottom