• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

vehn said:
Is it possible to get to the highest tower in game while evil? It seems I need the ice jump to be able to make it

You can use the lightning tether (and it takes like 5 seconds to get up there... weak)

1stStrike

Banned
onlyindreams said:
So I just activated my Amazon preorder bonus code but I can't figure out how to use any of the stuff. Help?

*weakly raises his hand and points at the options screen* It's been said... so many times...

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Well, went with the evil ending.

Why? Why did you make me do it, Zeke?

*sob*

Well, that was pretty depressing.

So is this the end of Infamous? Haven't played the hero ending yet but it seemed like they were setting things up for some finality on both sides.

Stuff about the ending.

So, I'm at the final decision, and I really want to side with Kuo. I've been playing through the whole game as good, but the so-called good ending and the switcheroo they pull with the good and evil sidekicks is, to put it mildly, a gigantic pile of bullshit and farts. Now, I seem to recall in the first game being able to make the switcheroo from good to evil (or vice versa) totally on a dime when you get the Ray Sphere. In this one, however, you actually cannot do the "evil" ending without first fully reversing your karma. What kind of bullshit is that? Who designed this part of the game? Why can Kuo go instantly from the good bitch to the evil bitch? Why should I Have to grind out a complete reversal of my three full levels of good karma?

I just needed to rant about that. Stupid fucking design decision.

edgefusion

KingK said:
Just turned on the power in Flood Town (on my good playthrough). Man, that Ice Jump is so fucking useful and fun to use getting around. Also, those ice dudes are awesome and tons of fun to fight. I feel like such a badass ice jumping/hovering around the city.

I also cleared all of the side missions in the first Island before moving on.

The ice jump is freakin' awesome! I've started a new play through as evil Cole and I am seriously missing it. Ice Launch + upgraded static thrusters = rad.

The Lamp

I finished all the side missions on the map but there's still a couple of dark red spots where I suppose enemy influence exists. Is this natural? Do I get a trophy or something for finishing all side missions?

Dr. Chaos

Banned
krameriffic said:
Stuff about the ending.

So, I'm at the final decision, and I really want to side with Kuo. I've been playing through the whole game as good, but the so-called good ending and the switcheroo they pull with the good and evil sidekicks is, to put it mildly, a gigantic pile of bullshit and farts. Now, I seem to recall in the first game being able to make the switcheroo from good to evil (or vice versa) totally on a dime when you get the Ray Sphere. In this one, however, you actually cannot do the "evil" ending without first fully reversing your karma. What kind of bullshit is that? Who designed this part of the game? Why can Kuo go instantly from the good bitch to the evil bitch? Why should I Have to grind out a complete reversal of my three full levels of good karma?

I just needed to rant about that. Stupid fucking design decision.
Yeah, this felt pretty annoying.

Since the decision they're asking you to make here is so morally gray, I think the quick switch would have been more justified here than in the first game.

If I was playing Hero Cole, I probably would have still went with the red karma ending becuase I still think it was the right thing to do.

Yet if I did, I would have had to spend a shitload of time dicking around with random events becuase it takes forever to change karma by endgame and most people will have full karma by then, even worse.

Teknoman

The English Conquistador said:
Got this today, only played a little bit, but from what I've experienced, I'm liking it a lot so far. It feels a lot like the first, just with more things you'd expect from a sequel.

Couple things I don't particularly like, the first being the lack of ambient sound. I think the phrase "silence is deafening" applies a lot to this game, since most of city sound is pretty much muted until you wreck havok yourself or go near cars etc. It's incredibly bizarre. :/

So its not just my TV then. I wonder whats up with that? Bad sound mix, because even the music seems a little low most of the time.

KingK

The Lamp said:
I finished all the side missions on the map but there's still a couple of dark red spots where I suppose enemy influence exists. Is this natural? Do I get a trophy or something for finishing all side missions?

Go to those areas and fight the enemies that show up. One of the dead bodies will create a new side mission for that area. You get a silver trophy for doing all the side missions on the first island at least (I just got that).

Lingitiz

MuseManMike said:
How much XP are you guys averaging per UGC mission? I haven't found an effective strategy for farming XP.
Probably about 50-100 XP per mission. I'm finding some missions impossible to do because i'm just not powerful enough yet. Really need that rocket unlocked.

Just finished the game. Good ending mega spoilers:

Man, I hate it when the hero dies. That shit pisses me off... though since at the end there's that ominous lightning strike, so maybe Cole comes back. That is, if Sucker Punch wants to make an inFamous 3 with Cole. Has SP expressed any desire to make another IF game?

Back in the first game, I figured John would become the Beast, so glad to see I was right. Kinda wish instead of the lava monster thing at the end, we do something more epic than that, but that was still great.

With the death of all (or most) conduits, even with Cole returning, what could they do? Fight the government? Tech-based enemies? Aliens? Alternate universes?

Sucker Punch! I demand an inFamous 3! Somehow.

Overall, great game. Thought the characters were more interesting and personable this time around. Nice visuals, great gameplay, awesome soundtrack.

Why can't Ionic Powers be used on certain enemies? For example the Ravager and the Crusher are completely unharmed. I think it's pretty stupid to have these extremely strong powers if we can't use them on the enemies that really matter.

IronFistedChampion said:
Why can't Ionic Powers be used on certain enemies? For example the Ravager and the Crusher are completely unharmed. I think it's pretty stupid to have these extremely strong powers if we can't use them on the enemies that really matter.

The last one can : )

KingK

Grisby said:
Opened up Floodtown. Any tips on beating the
ice dude that has giant ice hands. Hes like a mini ice boss.

Sticky grenades served me well there. I pretty much use the same strategy as when fighting the
swamp monsters that dig under ground. Also, just make sure to avoid his attacks. They can be brutal.

FLEABttn

Banned
I'm not liking New Marais as much as Empire City. Empire City felt more cohesive to me than New Marais. New Marais feels much more disjointed. The electrical cords in the first island seem to be haphazardly placed and getting more than three linked in a row seems to take an act of God, whereas in Infamous 1, I was an electrical cord grinding machine.

User Generated Content also seems to be a gigantic waste so far. Not that they aren't neat as a separate entity, but playing them while doing the main story seems pointless.

DigiMish

FLEABttn said:
I'm not liking New Marais as much as Empire City. Empire City felt more cohesive to me than New Marais. New Marais feels much more disjointed. The electrical cords in the first island seem to be haphazardly placed and getting more than three linked in a row seems to take an act of God, whereas in Infamous 1, I was an electrical cord grinding machine.

User Generated Content also seems to be a gigantic waste so far. Not that they aren't neat as a separate entity, but playing them while doing the main story seems pointless.

I'm pretty sure that there's way more electrical cords in New Marais than there were in Empire City. They might not be in EXACTLY a straight line, but they can get you through the city quickly.

Flood Town has amazing design - such a nice pace breaker. Everything looks really good too.

KingK

DigiMish said:
I'm pretty sure that there's way more electrical cords in New Marais than there were in Empire City. They might not be in EXACTLY a straight line, but they can get you through the city quickly.

Flood Town has amazing design - such a nice pace breaker. Everything looks really good too.

Yep. I'm in Flood Town right now and it's just so much goddamn fun using ice jump + static thrusters to navigate the city like a boss. I'm actually liking New Marais more than Empire City so far, especially because of how awesome Flood Town is. (except I keep accidentally killing civilians who are standing in the water. lol)

Irish

Man, those endings sure are something. I don't even know how to gather my thoughts properly. It sure was a ride.

I'm not sure which I liked more, but I think that title may end up going to good. I think the overall gameplay finale was much better on the Evil side though.

Oppo

I am loving the crap out of this game.

Just wanted to say that.

Also - the ice jump + static thrusters is amazing, but when you get the lightning tether and can tenchu your way through the city - crazy. You can actually play that game like Spider-man if you are good. :)

I am rushing a bit through my Good play because I want to see the Evil side.

I need to ask a question of those who have finished the game.. it's a bit spoilerish...

Is there ever a point where you are forced to fight in the rain? that seems like it might be a bit tough for Cole...

Dr. Chaos

Banned
PortTwo said:
I am loving the crap out of this game.

Just wanted to say that.

Also - the ice jump + static thrusters is amazing, but when you get the lightning tether and can tenchu your way through the city - crazy. You can actually play that game like Spider-man if you are good. :)

I am rushing a bit through my Good play because I want to see the Evil side.

I need to ask a question of those who have finished the game.. it's a bit spoilerish...

Is there ever a point where you are forced to fight in the rain? that seems like it might be a bit tough for Cole...
No rain but there is an super badass moment near the end where
You get to abuse unlimited energy during a thunder storm as Cole siphons power from the sky.

AcciDante

When you see a civilian with a blast shard running away from you, is it considered evil to go get it from them? The icon on the map is red, but it doesn't seem particularly evil...

1stStrike

Banned
I'm up to Flood Town on my evil play through and all I've gotta say is... evil owns. This is about the powers - I'll spoiler it though.

Double Grenade fucking owns, but then you get the Napalm Grenade and it just destroys everything. Most enemies are 1 shotted (except the ice guys and larger enemies) by the napalm. Larger enemies go down MUCH quicker with the napalm grenade then anything on the good side as well.

Nightmare blast is also amazing. Have 4 or 5 enemies running at you? No problem! Hit them with a nightmare blast and it stuns all of them for like 10 seconds so you can just pick them all off.

Bio leech overload is also amazing. Just bio leech someone and then you have something like 6 seconds where you can just spam any power without it costing anything (plus, you're back up to full power after bio leeching).

FireBird Strike is cool. It's like a homing charge attack and it's great for those ice dudes that jump around. Just pop it and Cole will fly through the air and nail one.

And, of course, Ionic Drain, the Ionic power you get on the evil side. It's an AOE drain and anything around you, aside from the larger enemies, gets drained of their life and is insta-KO'd. I can run into a group of 10 or so enemies and have no power and be almost dead - let off a Ionic Drain and they all drop and I'm back at full health and full power. It's pretty sick.

So far that's my experience with evil powers and, yeah, it's good to be bad.

Is there a good way to earn experience?

I have gotten to the point where the time/XP ratio is not working out in my favor since I am mostly fighting Crushers and Hive Lords.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
AcciDante said:
When you see a civilian with a blast shard running away from you, is it considered evil to go get it from them? The icon on the map is red, but it doesn't seem particularly evil...
You have to attack/injure them to get it so yeah, you get evil karma points for it.

They might be planning to trade it for food or something or exchange for medicine for their sick and injured children.

Atleast thats what I like to think as I knock their jaw loose with the amp and they beg for mercy.

Oppo

Dr. Chaos said:
No rain but there is an super badass moment near the end where
You get to abuse unlimited energy during a thunder storm as Cole siphons power from the sky.

omigod

seriously though, dude needs to move somewhere arid, as cruising around a flood-prone town just seems like it's asking for trouble.
how does he drink a glass of water

CatPee

Hmmm, is it just me, or do Evil powers seem weaker in Infamous 2 :\? I've found that the bolts in particular are pretty weak. The
Skull
bolt is kinda useless and I find myself just switching back to the
Pincer
. It's disappointing that the last bolt unlock for Evil is actually really weak compared to the beastly
Stream
. I haven't unlocked the rocket or fire powers yet though, so we'll see.

So I've gotten a couple of PSN messages over the last few days asking me how I did my level, Block Party.
http://infamousthegame.com/en_US/infamous2/community/ugc/mission.html?missionId=1250561a-13fb-43ed-b...
I thought it might help some people better understand how to use the game logic so I wanted to talk about it for a minute.
I don't have any pictures of the level in editor mode so you have to go see for your self.
Here is the level up on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiV7kJBjlQQ

1. Player control
I just want to start by saying that you don't need to make the whole logic of your level as one giant chain. That gets horrible very fast. You just need to understand the cause and effect and when you can take away control from the player to guide the level.
I started the level with a long conversation to set it up. Once I let the player move I have to guide them to the choice even if I tell them. I take away all powers so you can't just shoot everything or take off. If you leave the area a volume box goes off and ends the level.
I take away control from the player many more times during the level and when I do it makes a new chain of logic. Since I can control what triggers the scripted parts, they can act as the trigger that starts a new logic chain. By breaking up the logic into sections like this, it's much easier to fix bugs because I don't have to trace the whole level logic, just that section.

2. The First Fight
When the player is given control they are instructed to walk up to one of two trainers to make their 'bet'. When they step in front of their trainer of choice, the volume box in front of that trainer is activated. Once that happen the output trigger is sent into an XOR gate I made. What's that?!
XOR (mutual exclusion gate)- ok, this stupid thing took me a few days in figure out properly when I was in the beta, although the solution is quite simple, I just didn't understand the tools well enough. I had a problem with the player activating the volume box for the first fight when they went to make their choice for the second fight. Even if I set the box to no re-entry, the player could walk through the box they DIDN'T pick the first time, screwing up the logic flow. I tried putting the volume box on a real box and flying it into the sky, I tired putting the trainer in different places, nothing worked.
The switch allows you to recognize an input until a trigger is tripped. So, in words, you run each volume box to a splitter, then right after each splitter you put the switch. The first output from the splitter should go into the switch but the second
output needs to go into the SIDE INPUT (TRIGGER) of the OTHER switch so that they form a cross line to each other.
T\/T the 'T' is the switch the '/' is again wires
|/ \| 2 sets of wires
W W splitters
| | wires
O O volume boxes
got it? lol That's the best I can explain it. Again it's very simple once you see it. It means the once you choose a trainer, the OTHER box is no longer active. I use two of these gates in the level, one for each fight. You can trigger one or the other but not both.
*note The only other thing I want to say about the fight is that for whatever reason, I have found that you have to tell the two groups to assault each other AND make them hostile. I really thought one of the other would work but nope.

3. Determining the outcome.
Another thing that took me a long time to figure out were the options on the splitter and combiner you get by pressing square. Using the splitter options like sequence and random is something I use on many of my levels where things fall out of the sky or disappear randomly.
The combiner options however are VERY useful because it can act as a basic OR or AND gate. To determine if you win each bet, I use a series of OR and AND gates that are triggered by the volume boxes in front on the trainers. Basically I use an OR gate to determine when either choice is made. So essentially when EITHER choice is made, the output of that choice is checked against a monitor on each fighter. It checks who you bet and who died to issue one of four possible results.

4. Rinse and repeat. After the funny dialog we get round two. It's the same thing with the same logic, just different groups and fighters.

5. Wrap it up -
When both rounds have ended, we hit the finale. It's a long scripted sequence. A long dialog sequence, then Cole and Zeke run away. Of course Cole is much faster so I had to use a time to space out the next line of dialog. When Cole gets to the marker first however, THAT'S when I order the crown to case them, so that right when Zeke catches up and tell you to run, you get the first run in the face.

I how that's clear to everyone. I need to make annotation in the level itself but it's so hard to do without a keyboard. I've separated the logic into sections in the editor so it should be possible to follow it. If anyone want to know about any other mechanics I used in my levels, let me know. I'll write up another one of these.

playing the evil playthrough...man, firebird strike would kick a lot of ass if you had unlimited energy. You could air dash your way around the map! but balance and all that means you can only air dash a bit before running empty.

1stStrike

Banned
CatPee said:
Hmmm, is it just me, or do Evil powers seem weaker in Infamous 2 :\? I've found that the bolts in particular are pretty weak. The
Skull
bolt is kinda useless and I find myself just switching back to the
Pincer
. It's disappointing that the last bolt unlock for Evil is actually really weak compared to the beastly
Stream
. I haven't unlocked the rocket or fire powers yet though, so we'll see.

What? Skull is great if you can actually hit people in the head. Use it the way it's intended to be used and even the heavy chain gunner guys will drop with ease. I much prefer the evil powers so far in this game.

CatPee

1stStrike said:
What? Skull is great if you can actually hit people in the head. Use it the way it's intended to be used and even the heavy chain gunner guys will drop with ease. I much prefer the evil powers so far in this game.

I did get used to the curve and hit the bad guys in the head pretty often, but I feel like Pincer takes em down just as fast. Plus it feels more satisfying to use with the firing rate limit.

I still miss Stream though :(.

CatPee said:
It's Raining Mutant Chiggers is impossible :\.
To be fair I had to beat it to put it up on the server.
I think I will adjust it, I think that's way it's rating low.
Bombing run is just a insane thing I put together to screw with put people seem to like it.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with I2 as a whole. The improvements and refinements to traversal and powers are great but the story, combat scenarios, enemies, and terrible characters weigh it down like a wet carpet.

It is sooo frustrating to FIGHT in this, I feel like a kid pretending to have superpowers instead of the electrical badass from I1. I'm hiding and running away to recharge during most encounters due to bullshit enemies that can shuffle away faster than I can sprint and the stupid fucking giant enemies that only have a 0.5 window to hit them before they charge or hit you from afar with their magical homing projectiles that read your mind and go to wherever you're trying to get to.

A very frustrating, not very enjoyable experience for me.

duffyside said:
Hey, so I'm pretty close to the end, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how many missions there are in total? I'm hoping

The reason I care, and hopefully someone can provide some insight on this too, is that I don't want to finish the game before getting all the Dead Drops.
I have the last Blast Core,
but haven't activated it yet because I don't know if I'm near the end. However, I'm thinking the Dead Drops don't just exist in the city at all times like in Infamous 1, but pop up as the story progresses. Am I right in this, or do I need to put the story on hold and start searching all over for those damn pigeons, which would be really awful as there is no way to get an idea for where the Dead Drops are, is there?
If you need 1 more Dead Drop, head
back to where you started the game, in the swamps only accessible by grinding.

CatPee

RyanardoDaVinci said:
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with I2 as a whole. The improvements and refinements to traversal and powers are great but the story, combat scenarios, enemies, and terrible characters weigh it down like a wet carpet.

It is sooo frustrating to FIGHT in this, I feel like a kid pretending to have superpowers instead of the electrical badass from I1. I'm hiding and running away to recharge during most encounters due to bullshit enemies that can shuffle away faster than I can sprint and the stupid fucking giant enemies that only have a 0.5 window to hit them before they charge or hit you from afar with their magical homing projectiles that read your mind and go to wherever you're trying to get to.

A very frustrating, not very enjoyable experience for me.

Really? I didn't mind the lesser focus on the story this time around. The first had an awful cast and Cole being a stone-cold emotionless bastard with a gravelly-ass voice didn't help at all. On the other hand, it's nice to have a cast with some emotion and variety this time around (though that's not to say that it's a great cast or anything). The fights are the best part of the game since they're no longer just the 'spam R1' fests like the first's battles; you had to use the powers at your disposal. I utilized the powers more than ever did in the first 10 hours of play than an entire playthrough of Infamous. I mean, if the battles are actually that frustrating for you, switch it to Easy. You'd probably enjoy it more.

Lingitiz

CatPee said:
Really? I didn't mind the lesser focus on the story this time around. The first had an awful cast and Cole being a stone-cold emotionless bastard with a gravelly-ass voice didn't help at all. On the other hand, it's nice to have a cast with some emotion and variety this time around (though that's not to say that it's a great cast or anything). The fights are the best part of the game since they're no longer just the 'spam R1' fests like the first's battles; you had to use the powers at your disposal. I utilized the powers more than ever did in the first 10 hours of play than an entire playthrough of Infamous. I mean, if the battles are actually that frustrating for you, switch it to Easy. You'd probably enjoy it more.
I agree. I found the first Infamous to be alot more frustrating than I2 mostly because of the ridiculous amounts of turrets and perfect accuracy snipers they placed everywhere. It feels alot more fluid with the improvements in mobility and options available for Cole's powers. I haven't once been frustrated with this game as much as I was with the first.

As for story I would say its infinitely better than the first. Aside from the ending, the original Infamous had a lifeless story with incredibly low production values. I2 adds a strong mix of in game cutscenes, while using the comic style at the right moments. While I enjoyed the buildup of Cole into a full superhero in the first game, the search for more interesting and varied powers is a good way to keep you interested in what's next.

element

Finished it tonight playing all good. Going back and going to
pick evil selection at the end

Has anyone been playing the UGC missions or have you tried to make your own?

CatPee

element said:
Finished it tonight playing all good. Going back and going to
pick evil selection at the end

Has anyone been playing the UGC missions or have you tried to make your own?

I switched my filter to 'Newest' and played quite a few in the past couple days. A lot of crap and poorly-designed ones (as expected), but I did find a couple of really fun ones. Haven't tried making my own yet though.

Lince

Banned
while I understand some of the negative comments to me this is the most fun I've had since Infamous 1, I was a superhero when I finished Infamous 1 so I didn't want some bs that stripped me off my powers for whatever reason so I have to start powering up again... no sir, I start as a superhero and play like a boss, as it should be, new characters, new locations, new missions, melee combat, better graphics, exquisite controls.... just perfect, not a single moment where I thought "I don't like this" except for the User Generated Content of course... but after all has been said and done nothing comes close in terms of raw fun on PS3 (in my humble opinion as a long long time gamer), maybe Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2 mp... GOTY so far along with Dead Space 2. 9.9/10 (-0.1 for the silly UGC missions that are a waste of time and people upload just for the trophy I guess, and some include spoilers in the text... kids... I play without them activated anyway.)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lince said:
while I understand some of the negative comments to me this is the most fun I've had since Infamous 1, I was a superhero when I finished Infamous 1 so I didn't want some bs that stripped me off my powers for whatever reason so I have to start powering up again... no sir, I start as a superhero and play like a boss, as it should be, new characters, new locations, new missions, melee combat, better graphics, exquisite controls.... just perfect, not a single moment where I thought "I don't like this" except for the User Generated Content of course... but after all has been said and done nothing comes close in terms of raw fun on PS3 (in my humble opinion as a long long time gamer), maybe Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2 mp... GOTY so far along with Dead Space 2. 9.9/10 (-0.1 for the silly UGC missions that are a waste of time and people upload just for the trophy I guess, and some include spoilers in the text... kids... I play without them activated anyway.)

The problem is not that you begin as a super hero. The problem is that they didn't bother designing missions around that "state". It's mostly combat, combat, combat.

I'm getting bored of side missions. They are all "Kill all the enemies" stuff.

Fjordson

Linkzg said:
Truthfully, that old-new Cole would have bit better with the changed personality.

I was pretty disappointed by all the story and character choices in this game. The first game certainly wasn't good, but it was fun and evoked many comic cliches and Cole was this gruff dude. Infamous 2 has characters like Nix. Nix, man. Nix. I didn't care for any of it, really. The mechanics were still fantastic and what's why I liked it so much, but aspects like that were a bit disappointing compared to Infamous 1.
That's pretty much how I'm feeling after about 10 hours. For whatever reason I simply don't give a shit about any of the characters. Not really liking the overall plot either. Everything with Nix and Kuo is really cheesy. I'm not a fan of choices in games where the "good" and "evil" sides are presented in such an obvious way and are shoved in your face. I don't know, I'm just finding all of that really lame. Especially Nix.

But the actual combat and traversal is fun and I can't stop going after blast shards. Some of the monster enemies are frustrating with all of their projectile shit, but that might just be me sucking.

Top Bottom