• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

So what are people doing about the Best Buy Kessler debacle? I want my fucking code. I wouldn't have bothered with Best Buy if it weren't for this skin. WTF! Instead, i now have to buy it from PSN when it's available. Best Buy owes me the money to pay for it. I don't pre-order games just for them to give me a reciept before the game comes out. I could have picked this up ANYWHERE day one without pre-ordering.

Oh, forgot to mention that I just got back from there and the clueless people tried telling me that some registration code on the reciept was the code. No, it wouldn't be printed out as 12 numbers with no spaces. There'd be letters as well. Tried anyway but needless to say, it didn't work.

Zoibie

I'm a couple of hours in, and I may have missed it, but are the "freaks" ever explained? I'm guessing that they're some sort advanced guard for the Beast.

Irish

Zoibie said:
I'm a couple of hours in, and I may have missed it, but are the "freaks" ever explained? I'm guessing that they're some sort advanced guard for the Beast.

The game will explain it after a while.

Just wonder...I'm at 22 I think by the save file so...
Beast just landed in New Marias, does anything ever get locked out? I still have like 3/4 of waterworld to do as sidequests

edgefusion

demosthenes said:
Just wonder...I'm at 22 I think by the save file so...
Beast just landed in New Marias, does anything ever get locked out? I still have like 3/4 of waterworld to do as sidequests

No, nothing is ever locked out. Even after the story is over it gives you the option to go back and keep playing.

- J - D -

Die Squirrel Die said:
The more combat this game throws at me the lower it goes in my estimation. The traversal stuff is fantastic (especially the combination of the ice launch and thrusters) but it's evident that Sucker Punch really don't know how to balance combat to be satisfying and fun, because it sure as fuck isn't being spammed with RPGs.

As far as sequels go I guess I was setting myself up for dissapointment hoping for a Uncharted or Assassin's Creed 1 -> 2 style leap.

Yeah one random RPG will kill you. Fortunately, unless they are within point blank range, when you hear it fire you can dodge it pretty easily.

Irish

I'm in the group that believes inFamous 1 had the better overall story/experience as a whole. 2 was most definitely the better game though. It's basically like a jump from Assassin's Creed 1 (which I loved to death outside of the mission variety) to Assassin's Creed 2 (which was the better 'game' at the expense of the overall experience).

While the cutscenes were a nice visual treat, I thought the story was pretty lacking, especially compared to the first. The game just seems like it is absent a plot. The pacing could have been much tighter. It never truly felt as if there was any buildup at all. I think a lot of that had to do its collectathon nature. "You need 4 more blast cores to power the RFI." It was just unnatural. It didn't really give Cole a reason to do anything. I just feel like inFamous 1 was truly built around him, but he is just tossed into inFamous 2.

Kessler made a much better villain than either the Beast or Bertrand. He also had a clearly laid out plan, no matter how misguided it may have been. I kinda wish there were powerful conduit bosses similar to Alden and Sasha in New Marais instead of just Bertrand. It would have really helped the flow of the game.

They had a lot to work with at the end of inFamous 1 with the altering of the timeline, but SP really seemed to throw all of those elements away. Things didn't have to, nor should they due to Kessler's meddling, have gone according to what he knew. I actually think it would have been pretty cool if the Beast never appeared at all and Cole ended up all powered up for naught. Everything could have gone in an entirely different direction.

With the way things went in the sequel, it's almost as if the events of inFamous 1 never actually happened. I was really disappointed with the way they 'reset' Cole's powers. I miss that nasty ass black lightning you got when you activated the Ray Sphere for the second time. Cole should have been way more powerful this time around. Instead, he ended up just getting slight variations on his existing powers. Why does Kessler still seem so much more powerful than Cole even though he set everything up so that the opposite would be true. Kessler was never at the center of a Ray Sphere blast, Cole was. Kessler never powered up through excessive use of his powers or by charging up power stations, Cole did. Why does he feel so much weaker?

I liked how at the beginning of I2, your basic bolt attack is basically like a freaking rocket it from the first game. It would have been cool to see all your powers advance like that. Shockwaves could have been as big as the side of a house. Grenades could have looked like mini-spirit bombs. Rockets could have been like giant ballista blasts. All kinds of options there. Instead, the Beast just drains him and we're stuck trying to get back to a similar power level as before.
__

Both Nix and Kuo had potentially awesome storylines, but neither was really fleshed out all that much. I don't think there was nearly enough interaction with either of them.

I actually think the game would have felt much better if we got a new protagonist, a native of New Marais. Cole could have still played a role, but not as the lead. I think the main thing that made Empire City great was because it was Cole's hometown. He was defending or conquering his own turf.

The interaction between Cole and Zeke was a real standout though. Very nicely done. I think their relationship is the one thing that held the entire game together. (fuck the Zeke haters, dude was always excellent)

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Yeah one random RPG will kill you. Fortunately, unless they are within point blank range, when you hear it fire you can dodge it pretty easily.
Mortar strikes annoy me more than RPG's because they usually lead my movement pretty well, so even if I'm moving I usually have a tough time escaping them.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Panipal2009 said:
Pretty disappointed that they (ENDING/STORY SPOILERS)
went ahead and had a character from the first one (vortex'd John) be the Beast. Not least because it throws the story into some time loop thing where the Beast only exists because of Kessler's attempts to stop the Beast...which is bullshit because, the only reason John happened to be the Beast is as a result of Kessler's plan (when John was chasing Cole to try to stop him using the Ray Sphere, and his involvement with Cole led to him getting vortexed) i.e. in the future that Kessler came back from, the Beast had to be someone else, not John.

I don't think thats right
If you collected the dead drops throughout New Marais, one of them has John telling Kuo and Wolfe that Kessler told John that he had a "special" destiny (a conduit Magneto of sorts) that he would come to understand so I believe Kessler knew entirely what the ray sphere would do to John. Kessler was simply speeding up all the events that would take place within the game, he was essentially a catalyst. Like the Beast's arrival, the ray sphere's development, the Beast initially being stronger than Cole. All the things occured earlier in Coles's timeline than in Kessler's because of Kessler himself and his tampering with time. John would have still been the Beast had Kessler not arrived just as Cole still would have been given powers if Kessler hadn't orchestrated the original ray sphere detonation. Also in another dead drop Kessler warns Bertrand that the Beast would be coming to New Marais and to prepare showing that the alternate Beast's pattern matches that of the current continuity one so that to me implies they are more than likely one and the same. Finally it so obvious John would have been the Beast in I2, he's the only major character in the I1 who's fate was left ambiguous. Everyone else's was explored in the comics but John, we just assume he dies because of Cole's narration, I think that was done purposely by the developers to deter the player suspecting he would be the Beast but once I saw him I was like "fucking knew it" lol. I don't believe this is one of those Kyle Reese can't be John Connor's daddy Terminator type things. This game's timeline only has one time travel to keep it from being complex.
Hope that helps and I'm not wrong :)

Been playing for about 5hrs and I'm at mission 14. I've been doing as many of the side quests as possible and really enjoying hunting for all the elusive blast shards and carrier pigeons.

The most fun i've had in an open world game since Crackdown / inFamous 1.

The story seems pretty decent so far, although I've noticed, like the first game, to get the most out of the story, you really do need to collect the additional info (sound bytes).

I also like the idea of user generated content on the fly. That's pretty unique to this game, and I'd like to see more of it (if the game design allows it to be well intergrated, that is).

Loving the crap out of this game. Combat, traversal, cut-scenes, all of it really has been amp'd up from the first. The mission variety is also nice compared to the repetition of infamous 1's side missions, and I've yet to even try more than a handful of the UGC.

Irish said:

You and I feel EXACTLY the same way about both games.... weird.... I was gonna write a reaction post... but screw that now.

And does anyone know about the powers trophy? Can it be done between two separate play throughs?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Doing my Evil run. I feel like most of the characters in this game were done right...except for Nix. I know that they were going for her being the crazy, misunderstood one, but she just comes off as annoying and creepy. Ugh.

Allonym

are dead drop locations appear approximate to where you are in the game world or do they have set destinations? I can't find the last two. I prefer I1 dead drops they were easier to locate as when you weren't near them and activated the shard sense the radar would blink in the direction that you needed to travel and gradually shrink the closer you came to the actual dead drop. Wish I2 had that and if it does it completely gone unnoticed to me. I've been finding them by being in an area with a bird at the right time.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
My question got swallowed up, so I hope it's okay to ask again. About Storming the Fort:
How much does your allegiance choice lock you into good/evil and can I still be a good aligned character after picking Nix's napalm powers? I really want blue fire!

vehn

Thnikkaman said:
My question got swallowed up, so I hope it's okay to ask again. About Storming the Fort:
How much does your allegiance choice lock you into good/evil and can I still be a good aligned character after picking Nix's napalm powers? I really want blue fire!

It brings you about 1 bar into the opposite faction, so don't do it

I'm on the edge of buying it, but I need an answer for this: How are the user generated missions? There are good missions over there? Easy to find the good ones or you have to play ten bad missions to find a good one?

DangerousDave said:
I'm on the edge of buying it, but I need an answer for this: How are the user generated missions? There are good missions over there? Easy to find the good ones or you have to play ten bad missions to find a good one?

Was wondering the same thing, is there a rating system in place for user generated missions?

mudkyp

Just beat the game the first time as evil. Thank god the fundamental gameplay is solid because otherwise this game isn't great. The later missions are super tedious, the monster enemies are annoying and the story for this series is still god awful. But man just running around and zapping stuff is just so purely awesome.

Definitely one of my GOTY contenders... beat the game twice, the only game I've bothered to do that for this year, and now I'm working on the platinum... which will be my first platinum not including the three gimmes from the Sly Collection. Not the ideal sequel I had in mind, I thought they'd take the platforming further and make the story a bit more coherent (I had no idea what was going on most of the time), but still, this game is just plain fun.

Outtrigger888 said:
Was wondering the same thing, is there a rating system in place for user generated missions?

Yeah. You can even filter them by what kind of mission they are... races, gang wars, all-out battles, defend the target, stealth, etc.

I played 25-30 UGC missions to get all the trophies, but I didn't really get a good feel for what people are coming up with. I mostly just played "kill 'em all" missions so I could get some XP, and some of them were damn fun, though nothing creative. Basically just shitloads of enemies rushing you, the kind of thing I wanted more of in the main game. I never get tired of slaughtering hordes in this game. I played about 10 zombie-themed missions and had a good time.

I also played a few of the Sucker Punch sample UGC missions. They're pretty basic but it seems like it's possible to do some pretty creative things. Floating platforms, grind-rail races, simple scripted missions, etc, seems fairly versatile. It's isn't anything revelatory but it seems like an OK diversion once people learn how to use it.

CatPee

bridegur said:
Just started playing -- does this have anything similar to the sewer missions from the first game?

Nope. Now powering up sections is a matter of linking substations and defending yourself and the substation from a horde of enemies.

Allonym

mudkyp said:
Just beat the game the first time as evil. Thank god the fundamental gameplay is solid because otherwise this game isn't great. The later missions are super tedious, the monster enemies are annoying and the story for this series is still god awful. But man just running around and zapping stuff is just so purely awesome.

Infamous definately has a good story once everything comes to light but in Infamous 2 the story has taken a backseat to character development and interaction...say for instance, the relationship and bond between Cole and Zeke is explored with greater depth and that is the cement of the game for me but the story isn't as good in my opinion honestly it blends so many elements of x-men but it fails to take them anywhere meaningful. SPOILERS AHEAD
The tension and phobia shared between Humans and Conduits could've been much better as could have the religious angle that portrayed conduits as satanic creatures. Infamous 3 should there be one should focus on the reemergence of conduits and their battle against extinction and for equal rights like it should really play up the parallels that xmen draws between the civil/gay rights movements with Malcolm and Martin and it's own universe that Infamous 2 poorly introduced in it's closing chapters.

DigiMish

Irish said:
I'm in the group that believes inFamous 1 had the better overall story/experience as a whole. 2 was most definitely the better game though. It's basically like a jump from Assassin's Creed 1 (which I loved to death outside of the mission variety) to Assassin's Creed 2 (which was the better 'game' at the expense of the overall experience).

The whole gimped powers thing is a standard (i.e. God of War, Ninja Gaiden, pretty much all 3rd person action games in the same series.)

Yes it would have been cool to do what you described, but the game would have been too different.

Fjordson

Boombloxer said:
Mixed feelings here.

I have the plat for I1, continued good first. I feel like the game was designed more in a bubble--I've played AC/RDR since then, and it seems like a lot of the options/depth for those games just outclasses this one.
Funny you mention AC. I finally got around to playing through II last week and a bit of Brotherhood this week, and the open world environments in those games just feel way more alive than the world here. New Marais seems pretty lifeless quite often and the atmosphere is almost nonexistent.

Also, I can't stand the story. I don't mean to keep repeating myself, but the more I play the game the more I dislike the story and all of the characters. Feeling totally apathetic about all of it/them.

The powers are getting more interesting, though. I just got the Bolt Stream power which is pretty bad ass. I also like fighting the ice freaks a lot more than the monsters.

Justin Dailey said:
If you do all the side missions, is it impossible to grind for XP (i.e., no enemy encounters)??

User generated missions perhaps?

For those who chose Nix, what's her traversal power like, how does it function? Because playing with Kuo's ice launch I really wished they'd permanently mapped it to R1, rather than swapping out with R2.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Is it me or is this game a bit overwhelming? This game seems to throw Cole into some insane situations to the point that makes Cole feel less "super" I liked the Conduits in inFamous 1 but these monster/creatures are just ruining the game for me.

rdrr gnr

Did anybody else catch
Cole mentioning his younger brother when doing the Nix's family side quest? I feel as though that is a perfect set-up for the next game. If Cole was such a powerful conduit, who is to say that his younger brother isn't even more powerful.

So I preordered the game from Game Stop. On my receipt the code to unlock the Lightning Hook is printed, and in the box is the code for the Uncharted 3 beta, but I didn't get anything to let me download the pre-order skins or amps. What the heck? Shouldn't I have gotten that with the game? I really want to play as Reaper Cole. :(

Irish

DigiMish said:
The whole gimped powers thing is a standard (i.e. God of War, Ninja Gaiden, pretty much all 3rd person action games in the same series.)

Yes it would have been cool to do what you described, but the game would have been too different.

It wouldn't have been much of a deal if Sucker Punch hadn't pounded it into our heads that they wouldn't be doing that. Cole wasn't just going to be a superhero, he would be a super-superhero.

Die Squirrel Die said:
User generated missions perhaps?

For those who chose Nix, what's her traversal power like, how does it function?

It's just a short little dash that ends in a small explosion. It's not really a traversal power at all.

____

I didn't really think the combat was all that difficult at all really. Even the giant monsters were easy, however, the Titan really broke the flow of combat due to the unnecessary, mandatory QTE. It would have been alright if they had just locked that to the introductory fight, but it was annoying having to do it over and over again.

___

The reaper skin looks fantastic. Running around as a Reaper when playing as Evil Cole could be fun.

Die Squirrel Die said:
For those who chose Nix, what's her traversal power like?
Spoilers in case you really don't want to know what the power is.
As someone who played Evil on second playthrough, I personally find it underwhelming compared to the ice counterpart.

There's a slight delay once you reach your "destination", highly decreasing the amount of further forward momentum you can get with thrusters. Though I haven't tried just spamming it, and seeing how that functions, I doubt that would be much better and furthermore, it would be a huge energy dump.

Branson

So how much longer do I have? the
Beast is 380 miles away
. Trying to get this done before Duke Nukem Forever comes out. lol never thought I would say that....

Allonym

MuseManMike said:
Did anybody else catch
Cole mentioning his younger brother when doing the Nix's family side quest? I feel as though that is a perfect set-up for the next game. If Cole was such a powerful conduit, who is to say that his younger brother isn't even more powerful.

I would hate that setup man lol
a sequel should have a completely new protagonist and cast maybe an older zeke being a mentor of sort

HeresSomeWeapons said:
So I preordered the game from Game Stop. On my receipt the code to unlock the Lightning Hook is printed, and in the box is the code for the Uncharted 3 beta, but I didn't get anything to let me download the pre-order skins or amps. What the heck? Shouldn't I have gotten that with the game? I really want to play as Reaper Cole. :(
I got ripped off in the exact same way with Best Buy. No Kessler skin for me...

Branson said:
So how much longer do I have? the
Beast is 380 miles away
. Trying to get this done before Duke Nukem Forever comes out. lol never thought I would say that....

The beast will arrive by the time you get to 2 cores left, but you'll see what happens, the game is far from over.

Finished it.

This sure was an inFamous-ass inFamous game.

Pretty much what I expected, more or less what I wanted.

I wish some things were different, but eh, at a certain point I am just nitpicking. Would definitely welcome another game in the series.

Gonna try and Platinum it - going through hard mode will probably be the most difficult trophy. And I still need that one final dead drop I can't find.

Irish

ShockingAlberto said:
Gonna try and Platinum it - going through hard mode will probably be the most difficult trophy. And I still need that one final dead drop I can't find.

It's where you start the game.

Top Bottom